ZX12 fork seals

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
They are all pretty much the same.

Although I did do an old Triumph awhile back that used strips of what looked like leather for the seals.

Master-Cylinder

I've had great success with sockets over the years, but maybe it's time to buy the right tools.

S.C.
Don't buy the multi piece seal driver kit, too much junk to handle and pinch your hands with. Get the split driver for your size fork. They run around $35.00 on the net. I rarely even remove the forks to put seals in them. If I can do them in place, then that's how it's done.

Master-Cylinder

I have eight split drivers, covers most of them. I could use a couple smaller ones... maybe.

BilletMan

Makes Chips and Rapid Conversaion
Measuring caliper? You need one! And don't measure in the area of seal travel, as that area shouldn't be touched for fear of damage....measure beyond the seal travel area....

Master-Cylinder

it doesnt? Ive seen guys use PVC as fork spring spacers...lol
I've seen idiots do it, usually see them wearing a Band Aid soon after. A nice weighted seal driver is worth the money. PVC is rarely the proper width to contact the seal enough to keep from damaging it.
Polish the seal area with a Cross Buff before you drive the well lubed seal in.

Master-Cylinder

Jims makes a tool to change the oil and fill Harley forks without taking the fairing and forks tops off!

Master-Cylinder

Measuring caliper? You need one! And don't measure in the area of seal travel, as that area shouldn't be touched for fear of damage....measure beyond the seal travel area....
He's measuring the fork diameter with a measuring caliper, not a sledge hammer! Measure the fuckers where ever you want.:lol:

Master-Cylinder

420 to 490cc of Zero weight, oil level set at 93mm. They don't list the fork diameter in the specs. I'm still guessing at 43mm. But it's just a guess.

I trashed a few seals on my crf with pvc ..

The drivers just work so sweet ...

Last edited:

BilletMan

Fuck off already...I did mention a lathe in the same sentence.....you ain't shit, you certainly couldn't hang out in my shop. You would get nervous and leave for a "long lunch", never to return.....whatever....I don't cut oil seals with razor blades, then GLUE them back together.....haa, hack??

BilletMan

Not you, that fucking cranky motherfucker from florida....

Goldwings have the leakiest forks on the planet, I like making guys buy new stanction tubes so I don't see them again for another 70k miles.
Same thing on the Harleys, 9 times outta 10 if you just replace the seal it's gonna leak again.
You make your own problems if you never wipe the muck off your tubes.

Hapo

Dog Boy
...leaky fork seals likely saved my life, or at least saved me from another a crash...

OP
OP
scottcolbath

scottcolbath

BAMF+
420 to 490cc of Zero weight, oil level set at 93mm. They don't list the fork diameter in the specs. I'm still guessing at 43mm. But it's just a guess.

I'm sure I can find it cheaper somewhere but this looks like the right animal. I just measured and I have 1.710 inches, which is 43.4mm.

S.C.

OP
OP
scottcolbath

scottcolbath

BAMF+
Fuck off already...I did mention a lathe in the same sentence.....you ain't shit, you certainly couldn't hang out in my shop. You would get nervous and leave for a "long lunch", never to return.....whatever....I don't cut oil seals with razor blades, then GLUE them back together.....haa, hack??

You two need to kiss and make up. Each of you has your own qualities. You don't have to agree on everything, and you don't have to bitch about all which you don not agree.

S.C.

BilletMan

Fucker got on my case for advising you against measuring in the seal area....It makes zero sense if you can measure at the end. The measuring faces of my calipers and micrometers are hardened....I was giving you great advice, but he just had to correct me....good grief...:thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown:

OP
OP
scottcolbath

scottcolbath

BAMF+
Fucker got on my case for advising you against measuring in the seal area....It makes zero sense if you can measure at the end. The measuring faces of my calipers and micrometers are hardened....I was giving you great advice, but he just had to correct me....good grief...:thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown:
And this is life. We all have our way of doing things, and you'd correct him just as quickly as he corrects you. Fair play. Just let it go.......Just like I'm trying to let go of Z's fucked up posts, and cross-posting memes in the picture thread. :biggrin:

S.C.

BilletMan

Z is a fucking retard...ain't no gettin around that....

When I sold my ZX12 it had 30 thousand miles on it. Never a fork leak. So look for a reason, maybe worn bushings?
I believe it calls for 5 weight oil, but you can vary the oil weight by your preference. Like in HD they call for 10 weight but I always use 20 in them.

OP
OP
scottcolbath

scottcolbath

BAMF+
When I sold my ZX12 it had 30 thousand miles on it. Never a fork leak. So look for a reason, maybe worn bushings?
I believe it calls for 5 weight oil, but you can vary the oil weight by your preference. Like in HD they call for 10 weight but I always use 20 in them.
The bike sat for eight years. Maybe that's part of the reason. The fork tube looks to be fine, but I'll give it a thorough inspection when I do the seals.

S.C.

Master-Cylinder

BTW, 0 weight oil?

S.C.
That's what it said in my Kawasaki manual. Anything that calls for real light oils relies on the valving to control the forks, not the oil viscosity. If the thing is clapped out, go 5wt or more. I'd stop at 10wt.

By the way, I used to run Zero weight trans oil in my racebikes transmission.

OP
OP
scottcolbath

scottcolbath

BAMF+
That's what it said in my Kawasaki manual. Anything that calls for real light oils relies on the valving to control the forks, not the oil viscosity. If the thing is clapped out, go 5wt or more. I'd stop at 10wt.

By the way, I used to run Zero weight trans oil in my racebikes transmission.
Interesting stuff. I used 5 wt. in the KTM, and I probably still have some on the shelf. But I'll have a look for 0 wt when I pick up supplies.

S.C.

The bike sat for eight years. Maybe that's part of the reason. The fork tube looks to be fine, but I'll give it a thorough inspection when I do the seals.

S.C.
shit mines been parked since 2008... still on original seals...lol

Master-Cylinder

My suspension drawer. Fucking Samsung tablet has to be held rock solid to take a good pic!

20190521_155201[1].jpg

I never use my own on dealership customer stuff, should take them home. I only have about half that stash though. Also have those rubber covers you can slide over the tube, never used them. They came in a box of bike shop auction loot.

Top Bottom