Your thoughts on this please...

gobrian77

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
This isn't a big story in the US? I'd heard about it days before Lucky posted this thread.

gobrian77

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
Hopefully this is legible- Trump's comments on the case- he's in a tough spot here as it's not a simple thing to just waive diplomatic immunity and send her back- it's actually a very rare thing to do- as a private citizen it seems like a no-brainer, but a POTUS has to look at it from all angles and consider the precedent it could set:

B6D983C9-177D-427F-9BA6-CA2F3695637E.jpeg

It was front page news over here before Lucky posted it.

So I thought Trump was not going to waive immunity? The transcript doesn't really say clearly.

gobrian77

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
The last section makes it sound like he's not going to send her back- my inference is that he wants there to be some sort of communication (if it's face-to-face meeting it would almost certainly be on US soil) to lead to reconciliation (or 'healing', which is the word he used). In the end, all the family of the kid who was killed will likely get is an apology.

gobrian77

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
Could be, but how much is your child's life worth? I'd rather see her face charges than simply be hit in the wallet if it were my kid she killed, especially with her having fled the country right after it happened.

Stetson

BAMF
I was aware prior to this thread, but I don't watch TV news, so not sure if it's getting much airtime or not.

Wretch

amazingly graceful
Charge her with vehicular manslaughter
At the very least that title should follow her on her driver's license/insurance for the rest of her life.
Too many people do not take the responsibility of piloting motorvehicles seriously and the majority out there will play stupid games on top of that.

The young man's family should be compensated as well, not to try to make up for it but, to at least remove the financial burden for burying him...
...and maybe even cover his parents for the care and support he'd have provided them in later years.

luckystrike

Preferred pronouns: they, them, your excellencies
Website
lemonparty.org
I'd like to see her fry

But don't think she will

Like I said, diplomatic immunity is a necessary evil

Western justice is based on the principle that it's better to let a guilty person free, than to put an innocent person in jail

The level of government corruption in many countries is far beyond the grasp of most westerners to really understand why diplomatic immunity is necessary

Wouldn't be surprised if China isn't on top of that list given their record of jailing foreign nationals for frivolous if not manufactured circumstances

I have reservations about working in China, and I sure as fuck wouldn't entertain it if I worked for a government without diplomatic immunity in place

Diplomatic immunity is designed for the lowest common denominator. An unfortunate consequence is situations like this one and it's an example where individual justice is sacrificed for the greater good

It happens, and there are worse examples like the Canadian incident mentioned earlier:

Andrey Knyazev, a Russian envoy, has been charged with drunk driving causing death. Police say he claimed diplomatic immunity immediately after the incident.

A car struck and killed Catherine MacLean, 50, as she walked her dog last weekend. Her friend who was with her remains in hospital with serious injuries.

But it wasn't the diplomat's first drunk driving incident.

According to diplomatic notes released Thursday, Knyazev was stopped for impaired driving in July of 1999, handcuffed and detained by police.

The notes say the Russian embassy complained to Foreign Affairs, stating that it expected an apology for the way its diplomat was treated.

The embassy not only received an apology, but Foreign Affairs criticized the actions of the police, returned the diplomat's driver's licence and reimbursed him for towing costs.

The impaired driving charges were dropped.

Manley has ordered an internal investigation to find out why Knyazev was allowed to stay after the first incident.

Knyazev has returned to Moscow, after Russia rejected a request to have him tried in Canada. Authorities say he will face prosecution there.

I'm not sure you would get charged for this in America if you weren't under the influence of any drugs or alcohol. They tend to excuse sober stupidity when it comes to auto accidents.

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
US crash suspect does not have diplomatic immunity, Foreign Office says

Seems the big question is DID she have immunity at the time of the accident.. if so that is that.. now she is back on American soil of course her diplomatic immunity is waved.. she doesn't need immunity in America..

Charges here would be nill unless she was high or drunk at the time.. even then 1 to 5 would be a max with a decent lawyer...

Not sure what is to be gained here other then a finicial settlement.

Top Bottom