Your old school snack?

CZLoco

artist formerly known as quad destroyer and...
I could go for some of this original.

1558155966209.png

scottcolbath

BAMF+
I just got a surprise package from one of my friends in Massachusetts last week. Here are the contents.

They were pretty good. I don't recall these when I lived back in Mass.

Horrible, horrible shit. I tried (tasted, didn't even finish) one of each. They taste nothing like when I was a kid. Shocking, right? I gave the rest away at work.

S.C.

BusaVeloce

Cappo di tutti Cappo
Website
www.infowars.com
filling, tasty, utilizing all leftovers... it's called pastyere ( pasta de yere or yeterdays pasta)

some modern folks call it a pasta pie... but i use a rectangle baking dish... they use spaghetti but i prefer to mix a few different pastas for texture and look...

here is a good basic starting point below...

Cacio e Pepe Pasta Pie

but the fun is You can add anything... or You can use less cheese and go with tomato sauce...

this is a staple in my house...always some in the fridge and the freezer...

Hapo

Dog Boy
filling, tasty, utilizing all leftovers... it's called pastyere ( pasta de yere or yeterdays pasta)

some modern folks call it a pasta pie... but i use a rectangle baking dish... they use spaghetti but i prefer to mix a few different pastas for texture and look...

here is a good basic starting point below...

Cacio e Pepe Pasta Pie

but the fun is You can add anything... or You can use less cheese and go with tomato sauce...

this is a staple in my house...always some in the fridge and the freezer...
...it's a bit like life itself...sometimes it's great and sometimes it suks...a lot depends upon what you put into it...

Wretch

amazingly graceful
We didn't have at or after school snacks, just whatever they served for lunch there for $.35 but, I would look in the refrigerator after school and would take a drink milk out of the jug and go watch TV until my father got home if my friends weren't around.

Terry_Schiavo

in transition as lucystrike
I just got a surprise package from one of my friends in Massachusetts last week. Here are the contents.
They were pretty good. I don't recall these when I lived back in Mass.

Horrible, horrible shit. I tried (tasted, didn't even finish) one of each. They taste nothing like when I was a kid. Shocking, right? I gave the rest away at work.

S.C.
The Drake cakes...lol. Yuck. Hostess fruit pies, lemon specifically, were my childhood fav. I could buy a pie, canned soda, and a pack of gum for under a dollar...and get change back.

BigHock

BAMF
Tastykake! Peanut butter kakes and butterscotch Krimpets! Yo, Philly son... WHAT!

CF8A5BE9-EA52-4259-BC6A-BEDCF27E8220.jpeg

rumble phish

BAMF+
I never really went for sweet snacks, like cupcakes and Twinkies. My usual after school snack was 2-3 PB&J's and almost a gallon of milk. This was after football practice. Then it was off to the gym to lift and then dinner around 8 or 9 PM (whatever my Mom had made for dinner).

Stetson

BAMF
I never really went for sweet snacks, like cupcakes and Twinkies.
I can't remember exactly why now, but we occasionally got Twinkies at boot camp. Maybe when we were in the field. Anyway, I would always sell mine to a black recruit from Atlanta for $5 plus his apple. In 1989 money! That's $10.30 today! He had a wicked sweet tooth.

If I'm going to snack on garbage today, I prefer Little Debbie garbage. I especially like her Nutty Bar:

bowtie

BAMF+
Website
www.premierdesigns4u.com
it was always ice cream for me, a half gallon of vanilla with chocolate syrup on it and mixed up, would do that a couple times a week ... stopped that about a year ago, but I still miss it.

OP
OP
CZLoco

CZLoco

I never had this snack/lunch carrier but I'm sure my Grandpa did.

1558208717063.png

rumble phish

BAMF+
I can't remember exactly why now, but we occasionally got Twinkies at boot camp. Maybe when we were in the field. Anyway, I would always sell mine to a black recruit from Atlanta for $5 plus his apple. In 1989 money! That's $10.30 today! He had a wicked sweet tooth.

If I'm going to snack on garbage today, I prefer Little Debbie garbage. I especially like her Nutty Bar:

I do like those Lil Debbie peanut butter bars these days...

kawachan

BAMF
(OCP) Oatmeal Cream Pies and Nutty Bars

Still like Chicken in a Biskit crackers

OP
OP
CZLoco

CZLoco

I've never seen a Banana Moon Pie (thanks for actually posting a picture).
Looks tasty. :up:

gobrian77

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
I dislike any snack cakes that involve marshmallow- never been a fan.

LMR

BAMF
Cherry or blueberry fruit pies

Hatman

Nun Gut

Emphasis on the "school" as I would keep myself awake pounding these babies! :wacko3: Gotta love the glucose syrup!! :chef:

Hapo

Dog Boy
...I remember those things...is the lower photo your stash...???...

Hatman

Nun Gut

...I remember those things...is the lower photo your stash...???...

You should remember, being about the same age. :biggrin:

I try to eat a low-carb diet, so no Regal Crown Sours lately, :confused: Although looking at those pictures!! :girl-wacko: I like the "Regal" logo, is that supposed to get into your sub-conscious? :eyepopping1a:

- Hatman

OP
OP
CZLoco

CZLoco

Bit o Honey sounds good right now...
Those little candies that Grandma's always had in a jar somewhere?!
Freakin loved those back in the day.
IDK if they sell them anymore.
I could eat like two or three and then I was done.

kawachan

BAMF
Dollar Tree, Walmart, Atwood's and a lot of convenience stores still have them. I love em

gobrian77

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
These days the wife makes macarons (not macaroons, which are completely different despite the similar spelling) on occasion- the bluish/green one is mint- absolutely awesome (but a bitch to bake correctly- you even have to take the relative humidity into account). It would be difficult to go back to my old faves after these things:

BE3D79DA-FB00-48DE-80A2-C88A7A21575D.jpeg

Terry_Schiavo

is that the fluffy stuff A23 A23 accuses you of being constructed of?
Always hates macaroons but it wasnt just the taste... more like a hate trifecta of texture and greasy consistency. About the same as taffy...yuck

gobrian77

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
is that the fluffy stuff A23 A23 accuses you of being constructed of?
Always hates macaroons but it wasnt just the taste... more like a hate trifecta of texture and greasy consistency. About the same as taffy...yuck
Like I noted, they aren't macaroons, which I agree are pretty awful. A macaron isn't greasy or chewy (if it's made correctly).

Terry_Schiavo

Like I noted, they aren't macaroons, which I agree are pretty awful. A macaron isn't greasy or chewy (if it's made correctly).
yeah I probably should have completed my train of thought... is that delicacy you posted comparable to anything stateside? Is it filled with marshmellow goo?

gobrian77

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
yeah I probably should have completed my train of thought... is that delicacy you posted comparable to anything stateside? Is it filled with marshmellow goo?
I never had one until I went to a French bakery in Thailand. It's generally filled with a flavored creme or ganache, and sometimes jam (which I'm not crazy about). They come in many flavors- mint, pistachio, blueberry, etc- good stuff, but it's really easy to screw up a batch, which can be pricey as the flour is almond-based and expensive here- I tossed a lot of money in the garbage while she learned to make them.:lol:

Wretch

amazingly graceful
Treats were something else which we would get occasionally but never often.

Rootbeer Floats at A&W.
The a fore mentioned Hostess fruit pies, chocolate cupcakes or Ding Dongs.
Ice cream, homemade always the best.
Baby Ruth or Pay Day candy bars which were only a nickel.
Horehound candy or a Heath Bar when at Grandmas' place and if we did get a Soda it was one small bottle either Grape Nehi or Orange Crush, sometimes a Coke.
Roasted peanuts in the shell.
Strawberry Shortcake.
Bear Claws, Pecan Twirls or fresh donuts on weekends on a good week.
Any of these treats would be had maybe twice a month.

I almost never eat any of this stuff anymore and when I do it's usually something fresh or homemade not the store bought crap.

RollieFree

BAMF
I worked at 15 for A&W making the root beer. I made it in 50 gallon vats.
48 gallons of water
2 gallons concentrated root beer flavoring
50 lbs of sugar
It was hard for me to drink it after I started making it.
RF

ADonf!

BAMF
Website
spookyfast.com
A friend worked his summer at a ravioli factory when we were 18-19. He would bring us tons of fresh and delicious ravioli but he couldn't touch one after a couple weeks working there.

Top Bottom