Yesterday... (pics)

Wretch

amazingly graceful
...I swung by the shop where the guy who bought my old ZRX works after making a pass through Wal-Mart to pick up a couple of necessities.

The bike was there with the tank off, as it was the last time and he had mentioned the carbs were giving him some trouble.
He'd like me to buy it back or sell it, as his riding priorities have changed and I offered to get the carbs sorted so we could get a handle on what's what.
We went to lunch and after a few beers headed back to the shop.
He was busy with other paying work in the shop and I went to work pulling the carbs to which he mention that I was obligating myself because he won't know how it goes back together.
I laughed and told him no problem as it wasn't rocket science and in another 20 minutes had the bank removed.

He had mentioned the tank had a little crap in it and said something about the filler cap which I had missed hearing.
I turned my attentions to the gas tank where I found the screen for the pickup and petcock which were already removed.
There were pieces of the pickup missing and the whole thing was rotten.
A feeling of dread came over me and I stopped for some water and talked with some of the people hanging around.
Attention went back to the tank, I grabbed the key and attempted to get it into the lock but, it wasn't fitting, at all.
Then the guy mentions again something about having to drilled the tumblers and to use a flat tip to get it open.
We got it open and what I saw made my heart sick.

Ethanol, the savior of our fucking planet, for what I do not know, had done it's job and fucked another carbureted engine.
I've never seen so much corrosion/crap, 1/4-1/8 inch thick, everywhere inside the bike's tank.
If it didn't have the custom candy paint job it would be an easy fix, just replace the fucking thing.
I left with the carbs but, the tank stayed there so I can go back to that shop to begin a cleaning attempt next week some time.
It's a pretty thick walled tank so, I think there is still enough metal there but, there might not be after it gets rinsed with some acid I have.

Breaks my heart to see the old girl with cancer like that.
It looks worse than the outside of Mr. Lucky's bike looked, on the inside of that tank.

It may be cheaper easier to have a replacement tank painted to match.

The rest of the bike doesn't look too bad but, I'm sure all fluids need changed and every nut/bolt looked at.

OP
OP
Wretch

Wretch

amazingly graceful
My own selfish motivations are that I'd love to have the bike back in my possession even if only just to look at and/or sit on to make vroom, vroom noises.

I got a good price for it and gave him another $1000.00 in parts on top of that.
The old girl couldn't even come close to that price now after 12 years.
It's been dropped so the faring has gouged spots on it.
It needs a ton of TLC as well as the issues mentioned above.
It might be worth $2500.00 after we get it running again.
Right now, $900.00 looks like too much.

OP
OP
Wretch

Wretch

amazingly graceful
He locked the front brakes at low speed, likely with the bars turned which is a new rider type mistake.

That was the only time it went down and the faring the only visible damage.

Some neglect sure but, the Ethanol compounded the problem.

The shit that makes an engine go should not rot the fucking tank, plastics and certain rubbers on contact.

Who wants to upgrade all their older vehicles to stainless steel fuel tanks/fuel lines?

Ethanol is a boondoggle.

OP
OP
Wretch

Wretch

amazingly graceful
Welp, looks like I'll end up getting the bike back after all.

Hopefully, I'll have my body in shape enough to ride by the time the damage is repaired.

I'll have to get some workspace cleared so I'll have room for it.

I'll get some pictures of it up other than all these Bert shots I've posted so far.

OP
OP
Wretch

Wretch

amazingly graceful
I'll get some shots of the tank after I pick it up.

It's as nasty as a tank can get.

I see lots of gravel as the first, second and third step.

I've got enough acid to strip the surface rust that I've been waiting to try.
I just need to get the layers of crud out first.
It'll need a new cap, pickup and petcock.

The carbs show what looks like melted plastic in the bowls and the jets are black.
I suspect it was pickup, fuel line and bowl seal residue the ethanol ate and left deposited once they dried out.
Carbs aren't too bad looking.
No oxide deposits.

OP
OP
Wretch

Wretch

amazingly graceful
Custom House of Colors candy green.

I'm going to try to save the paint job first.
If it won't work then I'll go for any color that doesn't have the rot.

Hapo

Dog Boy
...yea,but...his bike was worth it... .!.:D.!.

OP
OP
Wretch

Wretch

amazingly graceful
Hey now, wait a minute, this one has some worth in it too...

...or it will.

Hapo

Dog Boy
...but even if all goes well, all you will have to show for your efforts is an old ZXR...:luckystrike:

OP
OP
Wretch

Wretch

amazingly graceful
I may have a nice OEM green tank.
I'm keeping this in mind.

I may just make a Mad Max look out of it instead of making it pretty again.

I should pester Adonf for one of his interpretations.

OP
OP
Wretch

Wretch

amazingly graceful
por15 makes a good kit...or ask Master-Cylinder Master-Cylinder to use his rotissierre

I'm already plotting to make my way over to do that very thing.
I figure he won't mind me camping out in his shop with the new roof a few days; especially if I sweep the place for him.
Don't tell him though as I want it to be a surprise.

pimpslayer

BAMF+
por15 makes a good kit...or ask Master-Cylinder Master-Cylinder to use his rotissierre
White cleaning vinegar from a hardware store (11% or above) is a good thing to clean some tanks with, less likely to damage paint.

I think.

I'd test it in an inconspicuous place first.

I've got a gallon out in my bike barn, but haven't used it yet.

Do it and get back to me...:wink2:

:lol:

OP
OP
Wretch

Wretch

amazingly graceful
It's a long way to where I'm going.

HNIST3.jpg

These don't look too bad, so far...

OP
OP
Wretch

Wretch

amazingly graceful
The floats match the paint :D
Yeah, I'm pretty sure the paint leached through the metal in the tank, into the fuel and deposited itself in the float bowls.

I was just mistaken about it being the Ethanol.

Thats nasty, color is about normal. Although I'm not sure what your disdain is for ethanol. I got a 4 wheeler in that was stored with ethanol free fuel and was just as bad.

Fuel injected, throttle sticking because the throttle body was gummed up so bad...needed the works..petcock,fuel pump, new plastic tank et all. I scraped the grotto off the mechanical fuel gauge and got it working. It actually did run though.

OP
OP
Wretch

Wretch

amazingly graceful
I'll go pick up some gravel to start with by the weekend.

The carbs are going to need to serious chemicals to get the black stuff, hard like cast plastic resin, out.
I'll try to save the jets and emulsion tubes but, that may be asking too much.

OP
OP
Wretch

Wretch

amazingly graceful
Thats nasty, color is about normal. Although I'm not sure what your disdain is for ethanol. I got a 4 wheeler in that was stored with ethanol free fuel and was just as bad.

Fuel injected, throttle sticking because the throttle body was gummed up so bad...needed the works..petcock,fuel pump, new plastic tank et all. It actually did run though.
Ethanol has been melting non-compatible rubber since it came out.

I've never had a tank or parts rot from fuel per ethanol.

The gains made in cleaner burning negated because you have burn more fuel to go the same distance.
Besides it being hygroscopic and drawing water into system quicker than brake fluid ever could.

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
It's a long way to where I'm going.

View attachment 18828

These don't look too bad, so far...
Seen worse, way worse. You should probably completely take them apart as in separate them to clean out the fuel joints between the carbs. I use a proper sized round brush to scrub them out. Pull out the enrichners too. And clean the god damned starter jets! Everyone ignores them. You have to use a very fine chunk of copper wire ABSOLUTELY DO NOT BREAK IT OFF IN THERE! Anti seize on the mixture screws. It would probably take me six hours to clean those things, maybe seven.

Master-Cylinder

That fuel tank is properly fucked! It can be brought back, but it's gonna take a lot of time and work. It would almost be better to cut the bottom out, or at least a good sized section, blast the insides clean, weld it and seal it back up with KBS or Por15.

Or, I would start with vinegar or commercial rust remover. The commercial stuff is expensive but works really well. The vinegar is dirt cheap and works OK, but you'll probably have to fill it, let it sit for a few days (give it a shake every once in awhile) drain the stuff out and pour a fresh load in to finish it off. Then it's a race to stop it from rusting right away. Por15 and KBS make kits with everything you need. But since that tank is so nasty, I'd douce it first then use the stuff in the kit. The stuff in the kit keeps it from rusting right away, but you can't ignore it for days or maybe even hours, the whole job is a race against time.

I'm thinking aboot trying my spinner on tank during the sealing part, pour the stuff in and let it spin for a few minutes then POUR THE EXCESS OUT.

I'm doing some 60's Honda Scrambler tank now, it's going on the spinner tomorrow.

Master-Cylinder

How many hours would you charge to fix a tank to the average person off the street?
I dunno, depends on how nasty it is. They are way time consuming... sort of. Fill them with stuff, maybe tumble them, maybe chemical treatment. Then do they want them coated? There is probably only aboot three or four hours of actually handling the thing, while it is tumbling or getting treated with rust remover you're off doing something else but you do need to check on it every now and then. I try to talk people out of it because it takes so long and it sucks. Anything I put on the tumbler has to have a bracket made for it and it absolutely has to not fall off, so I over do it. All the while trying not to ruin the paint if it's good.

My tumbler make a damn fine holder for the tank when you're working on it. It also works well for getting what ever is in it out of the tank, like water or neutralizer, let it spin and toss the stuff out.
The guy who paints stuff for us wanted me to build one just so he could paint fuel tanks on it, without the motor of course. He just wants a way to move the tank around to paint it without having to handle it too much.

pimpslayer

BAMF+
Seen worse, way worse. /--------------------/
Yep, way worse.

A guy brought in a 4 valve Honda of some kind ('79 -'82) that had 6 or 7 levels of different color in the carb float bowls. Looked a lot like the multi-colored stalactites you see in some caves.
I surmised the guy parked it every year with a different brand of gasoline in it, hence the different colors.

Yeah, it was an all day job. We lost money on that job...boss quoted it too low.

Wish I had photos, but it was 30 years ago...

Master-Cylinder

Stuff called Shellac Buster works very well at cleaning carbs. It costs $60.00 per gallon and it will eat the carbs if you leave them in too long. I use it in an ultrasonic cleaner. Ten minutes is aboot the limit for them to be in the stuff. Then you have to pull them out and rinse them, then neutralize the stuff with a certain type of spray carb cleaner to stop the stuff from eating the carbs. Just hose them down with the stuff. I've been using WD40 carb cleaner lately.

ZX11 Man

BAMF
my kids 250 Ninja tank was about the same shape. I used straight vinegar in the same fashion MC described, over a couple of days. I couldnt believe it. The inside of the tank looked brand fucking new. Oh, and it will fuck up the paint if it sits on it. It cleaned off the paint under the gas cap..

rumble phish

BAMF+
Fuck it. Replace the tank and paint the new one to match. I think it'll be cheaper in the long run. Guess it just depends on what you think your time is worth.

Master-Cylinder

Fuck it. Replace the tank and paint the new one to match. I think it'll be cheaper in the long run. Guess it just depends on what you think your time is worth.
Truer words have never been spoken.
Back in my racing days, when a $1,500 ( in 2003 dollars) fuel tank got smashed, it got cut apart, pounded out and welded back together.

OP
OP
Wretch

Wretch

amazingly graceful
Time I have plenty of.
Pretty sure the paint cannot be had anymore but even if it could it would be well over $1000.00 to repaint it, have it match and look as good.
However, I may have to see just how far I can get with it in the next couple of weeks.

Top Bottom