Work Truck

OP
Snail

Snail

BAMF. No. Really. As BAMF as they get.
No pics, still gathering parts.

If you beat me Rob, for title, you'll be getting a good truck. 525 h.p.nat. asp., fuel injection, blower, water/meth spray, billet trans, and line lock for the launch. Combined components will tune for 800 hp.

OP
Snail

Snail

No fancy plate,no stickers, badges, stripes or anything other than bone stock appearence, a plain little 1/2 ton Chevy pickup. Sleeper.

OP
Snail

Snail

Browsed the paper work on the trans.

Among other things it allows for, is how it shifts, soft or hard...cool.

OP
Snail

Snail

The meth water system is from DevilsOwn. This decreases heat allowing additional h.p. gains without roasting the engine.

OP
Snail

Snail

Trying to visualize what it will be like to pull the trigger, can't see it. I've gone fast, airplanes, bikes, and muscle cars. Pulled some g's doing aerobatics, but 800 h.p.? Nope. 500h.p., nope.

I love a challenge.

BigGar

high on placebo
It's pretty cool Paul, but it's hard to compare to a fast bike. Banged an Aventador S down a few gears to the sweet spot and stomped on it a few times. 729hp. It felt almost bike-like and sounded like an F1 car. An 800hp pickup truck sounds like a giant handful. :eek: What are you planning to do for rear tire traction (at basically any speed)?

OP
Snail

Snail

Tim has a tire business, he has dot legal semi slick tires for racing. I'll have two sets of wheels and two different sets of tires.

I asked about tires, he said they hook up really good, but dont last very long.

OP
Snail

Snail

I'm worried about the suspension going ape shit, flexing the frame....when I mentioned that he grinned and said, let's get the power first, then the suspension. He has a full frame shop for alignment and suspension.

CZLoco

artist formerly known as quad destroyer and...
I agree with that. Suspension should come last so you can tune it to the vehicle weight and capabilities.
If you do a dual-battery setup, get that done first.
If you are thinking of heavy duty bumpers and winch, get that done first.
etc.

Hapo

Dog Boy
...that truck should/could end up in a magazine article...at least an online line format, eh...

...the title has already been written...Work Truck...by Snail...

GSXRTURBO1

BAMF+
I take it that tie rod sleeves were part of the upgrades. They can bend without them when doing hard 4wd launches. Ask me how I know.

Also, make sure you have a good aftermarket transfer case brace. Good aftermarket motor mounts also.

I really look forward towards seeing your results.

OP
Snail

Snail

My midlife crisis seems to be deepening. Maybe I could write an article for ARP.

Thomas, the builder, Tim, has a tire franchise, a CarQuest auto parts store, frame/suspension/brakes business, auto mechanic business, and his favorite, a performance business.

Hes also a world champion jet boat racer.

I feel confident that I'm in good hands.

OP
Snail

Snail

Paid for the engine.
Total so far, $24K, and climbing faster than Turnips deficit.

OP
Snail

Snail

I'm investing in my midlife crisis; I want it to be special. They'll pop the new engine/transmission in tomorrow. Haven't seen the fuel system yet.

We talked about launching in 4wd:
Me "will the front hold together?"
Him "yes".

Stetson

BAMF
If all goes well with the motor and trans, the front end will be pretty light anyway...:ducmanic:

CZLoco

We talked about launching in 4wd:
Me "will the front hold together?"
Him "yes".
Mannnn, I have no experience in this regard.
But it just sounds like an expensively bad idea?

Wretch

amazingly graceful
When you has the power, you use it...

...no good reason not too.

Maybe not in the town square in front of the police station while you hoot an holler with a beer in your hand sticking out the window.

CZLoco

But it's 4x4 mode, not AWD mode.
Why would you want to launch & drive in 4x4?

CZLoco

And it'll be a fantastic thing for the first 30 feet?
Does't 4x4 mode limit you gearing-wise?
IDK, as mentioned, I'm a newb in these regards.
I read that I should never use 4x4 mode on pavement.
Something about how the wheels turn. I guess that was more for turning though, than straight-line.

OP
Snail

Snail

I agree with everybody that says it wont work be comforted I'll do my best to prove us right.

rumble phish

BAMF+
Here's a guy who built what he calls a "Grandpa" truck. It's a 10th gen F-150 Super Cab with a fat single turbo on the 5.4L 2V Triton. In a previous video I think he had it dyno'd at just around 500 to the wheels.

He launches it in 4WD hi at 9:07 in the video and pulls 0-60 in 5.1 seconds. In 2WD he pulled 0-60 in 5.3 seconds.

llord2

BAM
Built a new (less than 1K miles when I tore it apart) AWD 2004 Silverado SS with 6.0 and 4L60. Cam, pulleyed Magnacharger, long tubes, etc, etc, etc. Never got a chance to dyno but I'm confident it was well over 500 on the ground. Pulled like a train. Black scratch marks for 12-15' every launch. Did not do any internal work to the trans or the front end the complete time I owned it....98K when I sold it. Never skipped a beat....nothing. Hell I used it to tow a mid frame CTL, loaded 14K dump trailer, etc. I miss that truck, so much fun and absolutely bullet proof.
The only reason I did nothing to the front drive or trans is I was convinced it would puke shit out ASAP....at which time I'd build it "right.'

OP
Snail

Snail

Billetman, I have to eat shit, its NOT a billet housing. Sorry.

The fuel injection we're waiting on is Holley with a programable pump, 3 weeks overdue.

WarpSpeed

BAMF+
When the 4L60 let go in my Tahoe, it was the Sun Gear that exploded and took everything out. The rebuilt jobbie with a heavy duty Sun Gear, some Corvette Servo or Solenoid and a few other beefier and more reliable innards cost me about $800 exchanged if I remember correctly. It surely couldn't handle 800hp, but dealt with the weezey 5.7 just fine.

CZLoco

Billetman, I have to eat shit, its NOT a billet housing. Sorry.

The fuel injection we're waiting on is Holley with a programmable pump, 3 weeks overdue.
What made you decide on Holley?
I've read that these aftermarket FI systems get pretty flakey when you start changing altitudes.
Sucks that you're having to wait so long for it.

OP
Snail

Snail

Yes, sucks. You'll be up and running while im walking in circles muttering inherently.

Top Bottom