Work Truck

Snail

BAMF. No. Really. As BAMF as they get.
My 02 dodge lacked so many safety stuff, wipers, headlights, turn signals etc. I thought I'd see if I could find something to replace it.

Found a 01 sliverado 1500 w/160kmiles.

Turns out to be a cherry on the outside, but seems to have 3 mechanical issues. Everything works but:

4 Spd auto w/ electronic o.d., clunks when shifted from N to either Forward or reverse from park.

Jerky steering and noisy in 4 wd.

Brake pedal travel seems excessive, goes half way to the floor before activating. Brakes feel good and dont pull, squeal or pulsate after engaging, but the excessive pedal travel bothers me. 20190905_065950.jpg

Wretch

amazingly graceful
Brake fluid looks a bit dark.
I'd change that out with a complete system bleed.
Suck the fluid out of the master cylinder, refill and flush starting at the furthest bleeder from it.

Fever500

BAMF
I have an '02 Tahoe .... same thing.

Brakes .. common issue. Many people replace the rubber brake lines and that seems to help. Some go with Stainless. I haven't done mine yet .... every time I have to brake hard I am reminded ... damnit, I need to replace those lines.
Steering ... probably worn front end components. These trucks also have steering box issues and a lot of play is common.

Mine just turned 310k! Need to do vc gaskets, front hubs, brake lines and ball joints but it's running ok!

OP
OP
Snail

Snail

Excellent responses, many thanks guys.

tinhead

Has never named a pet
My '01 standard cab v6 is about worn out. I won't comment on anything but the brakes.
Just pull the big (30A?) fuse for the antilock brakes and live with the brake and abs warning lights.
Or wait until the abs 'actuates' at walking speed, the pedal pulses and the truck keeps going, VERY scary in the grocery store parking lot. :eek:

OP
OP
Snail

Snail

Dang! Should I put a small piece of tape over the warning lights?

tinhead

Has never named a pet
I have a new in box front wheel bearing set if you ever need one. I had one side fail, and the Amazon vendor I bought from had two for sale for about the same price most of the Amazon capitalist pig bastards wanted for one side. The right side is a bit loose but probably won't fail before I junk the truck this winter.

I'm at the point where I might just get a used Tahoe or Suburban and an open trailer, people selling pickups seem to think they're gold plated.

OP
OP
Snail

Snail

Yes. I almost wish I hadn't thrown away all my old cassets.

Hapo

Dog Boy
...you could probably buy them at tag sales and flea markets...

Stetson

BAMF
I might have one of those cassette tapes with a cord on it, if you want to run your Sony Discman through it. :D

Truck looks pretty clean. :up:

Stetson

BAMF
My '94 Chevy had the factory optional tape deck in the middle of the dash, about 2 feet from the rest of the radio, which was over by the driver.

Vegas12

BAMF+
Those trucks have intermediate shaft issues.....could be your steering clunk??

Also notoriously weak tie rods.

They also had week bed rails that GM makes a kit for. You'll need it if you get an over the rail toolbox or ladder rack. Experienced that one 1st hand with some lumber on a ladder rack....crunched the bed rails at the cab.

There were piston slap complaints early on, but not everyone had that.

BigGar

high on placebo
Does it have a traditional vacuum brake booster or a hydroboost system integrated with the power steering? Hydroboost can get weird if the fluid is low. I had my ABS module rebuilt down here for $125 and no more annoying ABS light or strange pedal feel on my '04 GMC 1/2 ton. Of course I put up with the light and pedal for almost a decade before having it fixed.

Brake systems suck ass on those trucks. Look for rusty lines between the cab and frame and back at the rearend.
One of my silverados the brakes felt different for 2 days, on the 3rd day it became obvious it busted a metal line.
Also had problems with the rear calipers on those, sticking.

Rocco

BAM
I had a 2000 Silveardo up until last year and did my own repairs. The clunk coming out of neutral is a common problem. Most often it is the electronic pressure solenoid and it requires prompt attention to prevent other damage. If the jerky steering is while turning, that might be the EVO sensor for variable assist steering. I think I paid $30 for the one I replaced. The ABS module is an expensive pain in the ass that GM was a coward to stand behind. 50% of the time you can fix them yourself ( and turn the light off ) by soldering the terminals on the printed board ( you tube is your friend there) . If you can't do it yourself, don't send it out to those outfits that advertise $60 repairs. They will fuck you most of the time (another story). Junkyards are a rip off on those too. I found a private party that was parting out a sub and scored for $15

Rocco

BAM
I have an '02 Tahoe .... Mine just turned 310k!
I'm kind of amazed at the number of high mileage odometers, I have been seeing on many of the Tahoe's and Suburbans. Even though they are heavy tanks, they are survivors.

When I see those trucks for sale used a lot of them have new power steering pumps on them. They also have rack and pinion steering on them. Jerky steering could be a bad rack, bad pump, slipping belt, or the system just needs flushed.

OP
OP
Snail

Snail

I took it in and put it on the rack at a local shop. The owner is a friend and jumped on it. Taking it back Wed. for some repairs.

Thanks for all the input. I'll post some pics of Tim racing boats. I had to pass up a chance to tour with the team this season, but will go next year. 20190906_082413.jpg 20190906_082413.jpg 20190906_082400.jpg 20190906_082445.jpg 20190906_082433.jpg 20190906_082400.jpg

Attachments

OP
OP
Snail

Snail

Shit doubled and flubbed. The bottom thumb is the turbine powered boat.

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
I don't know Paul, I've seen what you do to your trucks. I don't think this is going to be a long term relationship.

I think older Dodges or if you can find a 7.3L F250/350, you're gonna be better off...next truck maybe?

I"ve always considered the Chevys as nice road trucks. You are not a road guy.

Vegas12

BAMF+
I don't know Paul, I've seen what you do to your trucks. I don't think this is going to be a long term relationship.

I think older Dodges or if you can find a 7.3L F250/350, you're gonna be better off...next truck maybe?

I"ve always considered the Chevys as nice road trucks. You are not a road guy.

The ambulance company I work part time for concurs with that analysis.

100% Ford until the 6.0/6.4 PSD era where they switched to GM.

While the drivetrains were stout on the GM's we were tearing up suspension jumping curbs and going over center dividers.

It got to the point where there were warning stickers in the cab not to jump curbs....we had to shut down when code 3 in traffic .

Now they're back to Fords but they're gassers....they go 300k of pure abuse.

The vans stayed with the 2 valve 5.4L which is much less finicky about maintenance than the 3V.

The gas trucks have also proven much cheaper overall cost per mile even with the crappy gas mileage.

They are switching over to the V6 Transit vans....we'll see if they hold up.

OP
OP
Snail

Snail

Valid observation, I do seem to lack finesse. My 02 dodge has at least 3 dents/panel.

OP
OP
Snail

Snail

20190905_065834.jpg

CZLoco

artist formerly known as quad destroyer and...
Nice, new seat covers.

Character marks.........
Thats just an excuse since trucks are made outta tin foil now.
Had this one for 18 years, pic is about the time I sold it. Clear coat was flaking but hardly any rust or dents. You can also see the typical dash cracking through the windshield. I totalled another car with the right front and it put some scratches on the gray bumper valance is all that happened.
1997Ram.jpg

OP
OP
Snail

Snail

Interior is original Eddie.

Vegas, it has a Tonno cover that has a rail system . Sighting down the bed the rails look perfect.

My 200 gallon diesel tank will fit under the Tonno. But I'll have to cut a hole in it for the fuel pump and 100' of hose.

OP
OP
Snail

Snail

Almost forgot, the clunk/clicking noise is the rear end. It's got some sort of centrifugal action device, and its subject to failure.

OP
OP
Snail

Snail

I'm not an expert but everything matches so perfectly it fooled me. Even the sewn on arm rest is exactly the same color, stithcng pattern, front and rear seats, carpet, headliner etc.

Those aren't seat covers snail, they are replacement seat covers.

No GM leather looks that good after 18 years. Even if it had 30,000 miles. They look like those seat covers you buy for a couple hundred, strip your old seats down and hog ring the new ones in. At least the driver seat has had some work.

OP
OP
Snail

Snail

You're right, I'm wrong. I just backed it out into the sunlight, looks like a different covering.

CZLoco

artist formerly known as quad destroyer and...
Interior is original Eddie.
I'm fairly certain those are replacement seat covers.
They make those aftermarket leather seat covers pretty darn good these days.
For well under $1k.
1567917481481.png

GSXRTURBO1

BAMF
My front differential fragged last winter. Turn the front driveshaft, nothing happens 😲

OP
OP
Snail

Snail

Eddie, it appears to me that the other seats have a different ascovering, thinner, and feel like leather. The other seats have stretch marks and minor scuffs.

I think Rocco was right about the clunk being a solenoid, the clicking from the rear end is too faint to hear with engine running. The steering feels sort of weird the way it handles hot riding through corners, it feels like its progressive, sluggish to start with, then it oversteer.

It's going to be a great work truck, I've already smeared grease on the driver seat, dribbled bilge honey on the bed carpet and floor boards.

Top Bottom