Wild Fires

Snail

BAMF. No. Really. As BAMF as they get.
We are alright, no fires nearby. Fire level 4 (extreme). All industrial activity prohibited.

Smoke from distant fires thick as fog. Winds variable, gusting hard one way, then reversing and blowing a different direction. Weird.

Anyone in harms way?

BigGar

high on placebo
So far so good here Snail, but there is certainly a lot of smoke in the stratosphere. Big fire down by where Phantom lives. Another 17,000 + acre fire in San Bernadino area (started by a fucking gender reveal party :dash2:) Both probably 50-60 miles from me. Kind of humid this morning so that should help a little bit.

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
I seen the winds up in Oregon will be cause the fires to become very deadly

Azusa is on fire, again. (Bobcat fire) Second time in two months. Threatening the foothills, Glendora, Monrovia etc. Thick smoke yesterday, ash on my car and it's in the garage.

Just a note here for the Cali people..... It is hot and you need to go out and keep the outside condenser coils Clean. The ash is acidic and will cause bad thing to happen to the aluminum. Would suck to have the AC fail because of ash stopping up the heat exchanger. Happened to a friend of mine out there a few years ago but know this is not at the top of peoples list of things to do not to mention the pool filters.

Austin_F

BAMF+
Just a note here for the Cali people..... It is hot and you need to go out and keep the outside condenser coils Clean. The ash is acidic and will cause bad thing to happen to the aluminum. Would suck to have the AC fail because of ash stopping up the heat exchanger. Happened to a friend of mine out there a few years ago but know this is not at the top of peoples list of things to do not to mention the pool filters.
I would have never thought of that. Great advice.

OP
Snail

Snail

Dino knows where I live. The smoke here is from the fire east of Salem and the one near Ashland. 200 miles away. Must be gnarly in the Willamette valley.

The wind is strong, and fickle. 180* wind shifts in seconds. Then calm. Then repeat.

OP
Snail

Snail

Fuck, I just read that Blueriver just burnt, town destroyed, expected loss of life. Thats just east of Eugene and the one threatening Dino.

OP
Snail

Snail

The conditions are extreme. High winds and low humidity. Timber country, lot of fuel.

OP
Snail

Snail

Calm wind this morning, the smoke is so thick here that its actually hard to breathe.

Evacuation Warnings Issued as Bobcat Fire Grows to 10,344 Acres, 0% Contained

Town of Monrovia. Right next to Glendora where I used to live.

OP
Snail

Snail

Fire fighting resources are strained, several more areas evacuated last night.

No effort is being made against the forest fires, all rrsources are fighting rural community fires.

I hope the winds have abated in the valley like they have here on the coast. Dangerous work.

LuxPride

BAMF
Stay safe, lads! Can't do much personally from 2300 miles away, but I'm praying for ya, to all the deities.

wormser77

BAMF
Washington had 330,000 acres burn in a 24 hour period. Friend just sold a house in the small town of malden, the entire town completely burned😥
Another friend is up by the Canadian boarder and on stand by to evacuate.
Monday the winds were nuts. Downed trees everywhere and huge grids of power loss. Many highways and I-90 were shut down.
We've been lucky on the smoke side, usually Spokane gets socked in but the winds are carrying it west.
It had been fairly mellow season all year then bam!
Hope everyone stays safe!
Train bridge out of Yakima

OP
Snail

Snail

Our temps and winds dropped significantly today. Thankfully. It was90° yesterday, 61° today, and calm.

sailUSVI

Tripping on the road and buying stuff
I hate to hear all of this Paul, damn how I hate it. I sure hope it stays away from you and yours !

fr0st

The Arvida Chancellor
Man you guys would need the Noa and the ark grade rainfall we are having for the last 2 days..and its no wind 45 degrees....

OP
Snail

Snail

We still have a couple of months of fire season, and no resources to fight the fires in the National Forests. All they can do is concentrate on fighting fires in the urban/rural zones, saving lives and structures best they can.

The National Forests will likely continue to burn until November at the earliest. The Cascades are steep with limited access.

It wont be over for a long time.

The bobcat fire is now at 19k acres. Newcombs ranch inn is in danger at this point. Probably won't make through this time.

OP
Snail

Snail

"Containment" isnt the same as "extinguished". The feds use that as a feel good term. Think of it as: The fire is contained within the Pacific northwest...

OP
Snail

Snail

The National Guard has been airlifting stranded people. One pilot said it was the most dangerous flying he's ever done.

I can imagine trying to fly in those conditions. Super heated air, cyclonic wind, smoke...

They're doing it.

Wretch

amazingly graceful
The National Guard has been airlifting stranded people. One pilot said it was the most dangerous flying he's ever done.

I can imagine trying to fly in those conditions. Super heated air, cyclonic wind, smoke...

They're doing it.
Strong winds like that take pucker factor to new levels in a Hook.

Only time I ever nearly threw up was in 60 knot winds at night.

Mission ended up being canceled.

Wretch

amazingly graceful
I puked in front of 30 Army Rangers in 70 knot gusts .. we all had a laugh when we got on the ground and didn’t die ...
Yeah but, you were probably up walking around and they were able to enjoy the troop seats. :smile2:

I was always bitching at folks to grab that damned 5 gallon water can and wash the puke off my floors when we had a puke'er.

Nearly mortified me that I was feeling sick and might puke after being so proud of having a cast iron stomach for so long.

I save the puking for weekend barracks parties with the Jungle Juice from the trash can.

Austin_F

BAMF+
3.5 days of non-stop rain here. We are drenched.

Air is nice and clean though.

Good luck to everyone involved with those fires.

Top Bottom