Why Does It Seem to be Impossible to Buy SMC Body Filler in Hawaii?

WickedSpeed

Official Mascot
$%*@!

So frustrated.

My Sheet Moulding Composite hood (type of fiberglass/method) has a divot in it about 2 inches long and 1/2 inches deep at the deepest, and a 3 inch scrape on a hood vent nearby caused by a metal pole that fell off of a truck on the freeway and struck the Viper when the previous owner had it.

Ordered freshly mixed PX3 paint for the repair and got the paint a week later.

BUT...

I have been trying for SIX WEEKS to obtain the appropriate SMC body filler to conduct repairs. SIX freaking weeks. I still cannot get any.

SMC isn't some sort of unobtainium material. The majority of Corvettes out there have their body panels made out of SMC. It's just a fancy higher-quality fiberglass resin yet I can't use regular fiberglass/resin fillers because of different expansion rates. Have to use SMC filler only.

The two most well-known companies selling reputable SMC fillers are Evercoat and U-Pol.

Amazon sells some, but refuses to ship any to Hawaii. 3rd party resellers sell some, but also refuse to ship to Hawaii. Auto supply stores here don't carry them, and even though my local auto parts store is a distributor for BOTH U-POL and Evercoat, they can only get me huge $250 tub from Evercoat which would take weeks to arrive. They can't order the little jar from U-Pol for $50-ish bucks (which I want due to having a black option, and having excellent sanding).

I contacted U-Pol directly and asked them to sell me their little jar of SMC filler in black. They told me to go to that auto parts store down the street. That wasted a week of back and forth arguing with all three. Auto parts store says it's not in their inventory database so they can't order it. U-Pol says they can order it. What a waste of my time. After a week of that nonsense, they told me to call a different distributor on the island. Played phone tag for a couple of days before he finally told me that he does not carry that product because there's no demand for it in Hawaii, and it did not make sense for him to order a box of the stuff just to sell me one bottle. #*%*$!

I kept telling the rep at U-Pol to just sell me a damn bottle already. They refered me to a few different websites that sold their products. All of them refused to ship to Hawaii. I asked U-Pol again to sell me a $%#-ing jar already. U-Pol gave me 2 other shops/distributors to call. Same crap, "No can do."

#$%!!!

Found one on e-bay in the UK, but shipping alone would come out to about $45. For a little jar?! $%$#!!

Reached out to JB-Weld to ask if any of their epoxies were SMC-appropriate with the same expansion rates. CSR said "It will depend on the material. Typically you can use the original JB Weld #8265S. "

Item and dats sheet says nothing about being SMC compatible so over the next few days, I finally get connected with a chemist with JB who says "It should work." SHOULD is not good enough for me. I'm not going to screw up a $15k hood with a "should work" product.

Back to Ebay I went earlier this week and found a different product that claims to be a SMC filler called "USC 77702 SMC/FIBERGLASS FILLER". Noticed that several Ebay sellers had this item up for sale cheap and in a small pouch size. Okay, fine. I'll give that a try. Turns out most of the for-sale listings had a "no shipping to Hawaii/Alaska" clause. Found one that didn't have that, ordered it and paid for it. Today, 3 days after paying for it, the seller cancels the sale and refunds me without an explanation.

#$@#!!!

God damn it!

Yes, I did bring it to two different body shops that supposedly does SMC repairs. One told me he was too busy to take on any additional work (customizing shop). The other one (Corvette shop) quoted me a laughable 5k. A third one didn't know what SMC was so I walked.

#$%@!!!

Any SMC experts on here with alternatives or solutions?

-Wicked

Stetson

BAMF
Is it this? I could buy a quart over the weekend and mail it. Or if you you know the part number of the exact product you're looking for, I could check that way..

OP
WickedSpeed

WickedSpeed

Official Mascot
You need some "Tiger Hair" Bondo.
I read somewhere on a Viper forum body repair thread to NOT use the Tiger Hair stuff. That stuff isn't made by Bondo btw, but Evercoat. There's a reason Evercoat makes a SMC specific filler rather than promote their own Tiger Hair stuff as suitable for SMC repairs. I also read that Bondo has nothing suitable, and that Bondo sucks overall. *shrug*

-Wicked

hagrid

Human sized Loofah Pouf
The issue may be that the chemicals aren't authorized for airline freight... ground only.

OP
WickedSpeed

WickedSpeed

Official Mascot
Second choice: "SMC Fiberglass Resin" from Evercoat - part number 100864, quart size. Cures off-white which is why I'm hoping for the black U-Pol version.

OP
WickedSpeed

WickedSpeed

Official Mascot
The issue may be that the chemicals aren't authorized for airline freight... ground only.
Yeah, that's most likely the case here. No ground between these islands and the mainland so I get screwed on things like this...

One of the prices Maui, Rusty and I pay for living in paradise... šŸ˜©

-Wicked

OP
WickedSpeed

WickedSpeed

Official Mascot
That sux, YCIS.

Found a different Evercoat SMC (Fiber Tech 633) product sold in a pouch, found an Ebay seller that doesn't exclude Hawaii, so made a purchase. Supposed to get it by July 6 but won't be surprised if this fails to ship too...

-Wicked

Rocco

BAM
man it aint just hawaii...ive had the last 2 orders of evercoat "cancelled" on me...not quite sure what is up with body filler these days.

The lingering effect of non essential workers and factory's being closed. There are production shortages everywhere

Last edited:

Rocco

BAM
I might just go that route and have you or somebody buy and mail me some. Assuming nobody gets in trouble doing so.
-Wicked

Either that (or) use a ship to Hawaii package forwarding service. It may not be all that cheap, but it might be your best solution.

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
this was just a random search, I didn't try and order it. Trust me, I feel your pain on ordering stuff.

Wretch

amazingly graceful
Try the local marina or airport.

There are some high quality glass and fillers being used in both places and it doesn't look like you need much.
Go make some new friends and work a deal.

OP
WickedSpeed

WickedSpeed

Official Mascot
this was just a random search, I didn't try and order it. Trust me, I feel your pain on ordering stuff.

Your cart has been updated and the items you added canā€™t be shipped to your address. Remove the items to complete your order.

That one is 3-rd party but added fine to the cart which hasn't thrown up any red flags yet. Waiting to see what happens with the other Ebay one that I bought - still doesn't show as having shipped, but if it fails/gets yanked, I'll give this one a try. Thanks Maui.

-Wicked

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
Let me know if it works, I can try call my local auto body supply store here and see what they say

OP
WickedSpeed

WickedSpeed

Official Mascot
No real updates to report yet. The ebay seller marked the item as shipped and provided a tracking number 2 days ago, but upon clicking the tracking number, it doesn't show as being dropped off for shipped or scanned into the system. The wait continues...

-Wicked

OP
WickedSpeed

WickedSpeed

Official Mascot
Update: A package got dropped off and scanned in this morning. Looks like it's on it's way.

If a flight disappears halfway across the Pacific Ocean we'll know why.

-Wicked

Top Bottom