Who put a body control module on a motorcycle?

braindead_organdonor

unpopular opinions
Harley, since 2013. Never realized how these things can screw ya.
Bike has 2 fuses..main and accessory.
Try to add more lights to the back with a run/turn/brake module. It will not allow it. Throws a code when you hit the brake and then the BCM shuts the taillight off.
Too much current to brake light fault code.
LEDs are supposedly the answer, but will I get a "not enough current" fault and have to add load equalizers of course. Screw this.

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
CAN BUS set up. The make kits to get around that issue. One of the big Yamaha V-Twins had the front turn signals tied into the automatic de-compression thing. You changed the turn signals and it would mess up the de-comp.

OP
braindead_organdonor

braindead_organdonor

unpopular opinions
Supposedly it has a learn mode that will make it figure out LED turn signals and adjust accordingly.
Run the hazards for two minutes with ignition off.
Doesn't rectify my problem though.
I'm cool with old fashioned light bulbs.

Had a body control module fail in a Pontiac Solstice. Thought it was one of the relays on the circuit board, replaced that, didn't fix it. I needed a new BCM. Could have bought one cheaper online, but knew a dealer would have to program it. And if they had any problem, they'd point to the BCM I'd purchased elsewhere. So I bit the bullet and got it though the dealer. Like $500 bucks with programing to fix my right turn signal.106489

Bandit Man

BAMF
Had a body control module fail in a Pontiac Solstice. Thought it was one of the relays on the circuit board, replaced that, didn't fix it. I needed a new BCM. Could have bought one cheaper online, but knew a dealer would have to program it. And if they had any problem, they'd point to the BCM I'd purchased elsewhere. So I bit the bullet and got it though the dealer. Like $500 bucks with programing to fix my right turn signal.View attachment 106489
I have a 2001 Impala with a bad security control module, already replaced the body module. All the internet patches didn't fix it so the dealer wants 1700 bucks, fuck them. I think I'm going to drive it down to the LKQ and take the $650 offer they have going right now.

Master-Cylinder

I had a XS1100 that had a auto cancelling turn signal module, does that count?
Never had one of those systems fail...that wasn't caused by some moron butchering it. My 1986 Ratt Maxx has it, it still works find. Imagine, a 1980's motorcycle with self cancelling turn signals. Very few motorcycles have that feature now. But then, most assholes remove their turn signals, the rest don't use them.

Bandit Man

BAMF
Never had one of those systems fail...that wasn't caused by some moron butchering it. My 1986 Ratt Maxx has it, it still works find. Imagine, a 1980's motorcycle with self cancelling turn signals. Very few motorcycles have that feature now. But then, most assholes remove their turn signals, the rest don't use them.
Mine still worked too.

Master-Cylinder

Mine still worked too.
My '86 Honda CH250 has a LCD speedometer that quit working. I figured I was fucked. Turned out to be the reed switch in it. A sensor counts the reed pulses and then converts it to a usable signal. Of course you can't purchase the reed switch anymore, and besides, I was in a hurry didn't want it sitting in pieces for weeks. I just happened to have a half dozen encapsulated reed switches, glued one onto the meter, hooked up the leads and it works find. Next, I need to replace the polarizing film on the LCD display, it is getting dim.
The olde Yamaha self cancelling system also used a reed switch, you can hear them chirping away when you push the motorcycle.

OP
braindead_organdonor

braindead_organdonor

unpopular opinions
The olde Harley self cancelling modules just used a speed signal and a little bit of logic.

Kirk

BAMF
Harley, since 2013. Never realized how these things can screw ya.
Bike has 2 fuses..main and accessory.
Try to add more lights to the back with a run/turn/brake module. It will not allow it. Throws a code when you hit the brake and then the BCM shuts the taillight off.
Too much current to brake light fault code.
LEDs are supposedly the answer, but will I get a "not enough current" fault and have to add load equalizers of course. Screw this.
Like everything else having to do with Harley-Davidsons, it was probably someone with Don's proclivities...

Top Bottom