Big Bore diggidy mayhem
I think Ghoti had a '69 ?

cool sled, did you buy it yet..?

OP
sailUSVI

sailUSVI

Tripping on the road and buying stuff
From the seller :lol:

“so the fellow I bought this wagon from relayed this story: The original owner moved from North Carolina to the New England area and would load up the wagon with a cooler, sandwiches, wife and kids and would go to the New England Dragstrip and race the wagon in E Stock Automatic on Sunday. Then back home to domestic duties on Monday. These wagons were the pinnacle of future SUV’s and we didn’t even realize it!! Not sure if it’s true but a good story. How can one NOT love a multi-tasking wagon like this one?? LOL!”

Team222

BAMF
Sail, I have a 1970 4 bolt main 400 SB, TH 400 combo I would sell you for a song! It’s been in my garage for 30 yrs, I don’t think I’m going to ever do anything with it, It came out of an Impala station wagon.

Nice ride, great score!

OP
sailUSVI

sailUSVI

Tripping on the road and buying stuff
Listing Details
  • Chassis: 164356D118354
  • 99k Miles Shown, TMU
  • 396ci V8
  • TH400 3-Speed Automatic Transmission
  • 12-Bolt Rear End w/2.73:1 Gearing
  • Repainted in White
  • Green Vinyl Interior
  • 15" Steel Wheels
  • Power Steering
  • Delco AM Radio
  • Tilting & Telescoping Steering Column
  • Rear Power Window
  • Air Conditioning
  • Build Sheet
  • Assorted Spare Parts
Private Party or Dealer: Private Party

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench

“so the fellow I bought this wagon from relayed this story: The original owner moved from North Carolina to the New England area and would load up the wagon with a cooler, sandwiches, wife and kids and would go to the New England Dragstrip and race the wagon in E Stock Automatic on Sunday. Then back home to domestic duties on Monday. These wagons were the pinnacle of future SUV’s and we didn’t even realize it!! Not sure if it’s true but a good story. How can one NOT love a multi-tasking wagon like this one?? LOL!”
What did they time it with, a calendar?

gobrian77

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
I took drivers-ed in something similar- learning to parallel-park that beast made the driving test a breeze. :lol:

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
a 396 is fun....lots to do, could turn into a money pit very quickly. Fun as hell though. I'd buy a crate motor before I started to really try and build a 396 to anything other then mild...

....a 572 or 632 is good :lol:.

or you can go up to a 598 with out going to a tall deck. TH400 is pretty strong....not sure whats gonna break first...maybe pretzel the drive shaft.

Bandit Man

BAMF
If it's gonna be a daily I like the idea of the GM connect and cruise. Gotta love having a old car with a power train warranty. Plenty of options, auto or stick.

Jailer

BAMF
Damn, I just had concrete poured in the pole barn and it's lookin for a placeholder. This would fit nicely. Too bad it's gone. :cry:

Kirk

BAMF

The only 396 that was available in that car for 1966, was the "325 horsepower" 396.

According to the current NHRA Stock Car Classification Guide, it would be a natural J/SA car, although the weight could be adjusted to go up or down one class. If it was being raced with the "390 horsepower" 427, it would be a natural G/SA car, with F and H as an option, at legal weights for those classes.

BigGar

high on placebo
I traveled over 8,000 miles in less than 21 days in a 66 Malibu wagon with no a/c. There was also a serious heat wave out west in August of 1971.

My mom's got a picture of my brother and I next to a thermometer in Vegas. 110 degrees at midnight.

It was my first time anywhere west of the Mississippi. We truly lived the National Lampoon Vacation.

The engine got hurt bad in the Rockies so we were buying oil by the case and adding a couple of quarts every gas stop.

Best family adventure ever

I actually saw a 66 Malibu on the lift at an auto repair place this morning. I gotta find those pictures.

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
If it's gonna be a daily I like the idea of the GM connect and cruise. Gotta love having a old car with a power train warranty. Plenty of options, auto or stick.

the "set it and forget it" feature

Kirk

BAMF
What made these wagons so popular drag cars?
In NHRA Stock Eliminator, it is advantageous to find a combo and a class that is unpopular, for several reasons.

One of the most important reasons, is that whenever the ladder brings two cars together from the same class, it becomes a heads-up race with no breakout rules.

So choosing a wagon, allows a racer to use an engine that's been scienced-out, in a car that's allowed to be heavy enough to make it much less likely to have to face a heads-up race. For example, a '66 Impala Wagon with a "325 horsepower" 396 would never have to face a '69 Camaro with the same engine in a heads-up race, because the Camaro isn't allowed to be heavy enough to be in the same class.

Kirk

BAMF
Plus, the wagon naturally carries more weight on the rear tires, which means that it can run higher tire pressures in the slicks and/or not need to set up the suspension as loose, both of which are like free horsepower, even though the engine is (generally) factored at the same horsepower as it would be in a lighter car.

The problem with this car would be in J it would get killed on a heads-up run with most any other J car on the planet. J index is 12.45, which is the minimum you need to run to qualify. Class record is usually a second under that, and most cars in the class will run .8 under. With a big heavy car prepare for pain.

Stock racing is not what it used to be. Most of the time it is just bracket racing as long as you stay away from cars in your own class. Big heavy underpowered car do not make good bracket cars.

Kirk

BAMF
The problem with this car would be in J it would get killed on a heads-up run with most any other J car on the planet. J index is 12.45, which is the minimum you need to run to qualify. Class record is usually a second under that, and most cars in the class will run .8 under. With a big heavy car prepare for pain.

Stock racing is not what it used to be. Most of the time it is just bracket racing as long as you stay away from cars in your own class. Big heavy underpowered car do not make good bracket cars.
Valid points, although most of that would be dependent upon when and where it was raced.

It could fit F/G/H with the 427, I/J/K with the 396, and it could run the stick classes also, so there's 12 classes to choose from, without even going to a different engine family.

Choosing a class can be difficult. Yes, lighter/faster cars win more races against heavier/slower cars than they lose, but if you build something in the general range of a C/SA car, you can count on facing one or more heads-up races during eliminations, and winning heads-up races requires spending enough money to run way under index, so unless you're rich AND good, you're probably going to get whacked.

Top Bottom