What's your next bike, or are you content with what you've got?

Ninjaman12R

I'm too drunk to taste this chicken
As the years roll by, I've learned a few things about motorcycling. One is you have to keep an open mind, bikes that you may thumb your nose at one day could be a pleasant suprise on a different day. I had a very narrow focus for a long time, and I think I probably missed out on some adventures because of it. Thankfully years ago, an SV650 opened my eyes and reminded me of a lot of things that got lost in the shuffle.

Now, approaching 52 years of age, I know I can have fun on big heavy slow bikes. I can have fun on smaller displacement, lighter bikes of the peppy, but not overly powerful nature. I can have fun on a stripped down no frills bike, or one that has more shit on it than I need. I still think it's hard to beat a fast, smooth running bike, that has brakes that are as good or better than the engine, and handling that inspires confidence.

At some point all that information starts to overlap, you try to make educated decisions. I know now I will probably never be a one bike person, so that allows me some flexibility for a couple of bikes that may not be that versatile, or super comfortable because I may just do short rides on them. But I still like to think that somewhere out there is a machine that checks off as many of the boxes as possible. I prefer to be comfortable, upright riding position, decent wind protection, some form of factory luggage, cruise control which has so many benefits someone should start a thread on it, enough performance to be fun, sporty is even better, and the biggie, not weigh a fucking ton.

I still look at reviews and read about the KTM 1290 Superduke GT. I believe I could probably have a lot of fun on that bike, and it would probably allow me to axe a couple of my current bikes. I've talked on the phone with pimpslayer pimpslayer about this very thing. But I want to exercise a little patience. I know some of you guys have adventure bikes and I certainly can see the allure to those things too.

I've used the term unicorn bike, maybe there is no such thing for me, but something might be real damned close. I'm looking for it.

OP
Ninjaman12R

Ninjaman12R

Ive always been about having a focused bike for the pursuit...
The right tool for the job, that's the bitch of it all ain't it 😀. It's why I'll never be a one bike, two bike, or even a 3 bike guy. I just don't want 10 goddamned bikes to plate, insure, and maintain. There are 7 in my shop now, only one dirt bike that's my youngest son's. The rest have plates and insurance....😐

WP

Color Belt Judo Guy
The right tool for the job, that's the bitch of it all ain't it 😀. It's why I'll never be a one bike, two bike, or even a 3 bike guy. I just don't want 10 goddamned bikes to plate, insure, and maintain. There are 7 in my shop now, only one dirt bike that's my youngest son's. The rest have plates and insurance....😐
Where I am now... Everyone is on quads and side by sides
Not a hayabusa in 300 mile radius from here.

Texas Boy

BAM
The other day I sat down and counted the number of bikes I have owned. It took awhile, as my memory is not as good as it once was. I added up 37 bikes over the 50 years I have been riding. Over the last 30 years, I have never owned just one bike, operating on the theory of that "the right bike for the right situation". Now I am down to owning just 3 bikes. HD Road King, BMW R1200GS, and Triumph Speed Twin. These three have suited my needs just fine. If I had to get down to just one bike, the BMW R1200GS would be the keeper. I don't ride fast Iike I once did, and it handles just fine. It has a very comfortable seating position for me and offers good wind protection. I would enjoy testing out a KTM Duke or Adventure, but since the BMW is"good enough" I have refrained from tempting myself. In any event, we are lucky to have such options to pursue our hobby. Cheers

OP
Ninjaman12R

Ninjaman12R

thsts a sweet ride
I was in St. Louis and my wife said you'd never ride that. I said bullshit, I'll buy it, a helmet/jacket/gloves right now and ride it back to Dyersburg 😀. We were up there for a week and I figured I'd have time to research what a good otd deal would be, and that she would ride it a lot once we got back. Plus I knew I'd ride it a little, as well as my youngest son. When I called a salesman over she said ok ok, I was wrong. I should've recorded that......🤔

This was before the new z400 purchase, which is still @ 77 miles on the odometer....🤬

Stuman

smoothly disappears
Website
www.stumanrides.com
I keep thinking about a new bike. I've been commuting on my Concours since I got it new in '08 and I've been thinking about getting something new for a commuter bike. My commute to work is only about 15 miles on a toll road and I keep thinking it would be nice to get something a little more fun for the short trip. I ride to work pretty much every day except if it raining hard.

So I was thinking about maybe getting a naked bike or a sport bike to ride to work, just to make the commute more fun. Then I rode my Ducati into work last week on a cold (for CA that is) morning. I missed the big windshield on my Kawi.

For now I think I'll just keep the Concours and ride it into the ground. So no new bike on the horizon for me for now. Maybe a new race bike if I get the itch to race again and make a run at some championships.

OP
Ninjaman12R

Ninjaman12R

I keep thinking about a new bike. I've been commuting on my Concours since I got it new in '08 and I've been thinking about getting something new for a commuter bike. My commute to work is only about 15 miles on a toll road and I keep thinking it would be nice to get something a little more fun for the short trip. I ride to work pretty much every day except if it raining hard.

So I was thinking about maybe getting a naked bike or a sport bike to ride to work, just to make the commute more fun. Then I rode my Ducati into work last week on a cold (for CA that is) morning. I missed the big windshield on my Kawi.

For now I think I'll just keep the Concours and ride it into the ground. So no new bike on the horizon for me for now. Maybe a new race bike if I get the itch to race again and make a run at some championships.
My C14 would probably be on the chopping block if I acquire another bike, but damn if it isn't just a great bike. The ONLY reason I'm not installing the McCruise cruise control on mine this winter is the fact I'm mulling over buying something else. Putting more money into it would be silly, and if I keep it I can always add the CC.

TR3B

Old but forgotten
This is a tough topic now that I broke up with Kawasaki. I'd buy that new BMW MRR but it's so fucking ugly. I was also looking at the MV Superveloce which I think looks amazing but it's grossly underpowered. The V4 Ducatis are rad but the good ones only come in red.

Think I might go back in time and start looking for a TL1000R or another 04/05 ZX10R.

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
I'm all over the map lately. Upgrading my Tuono, sounds good, but I'm also thinking something a little more comfortable, with some wind protection. I like the looks of the adventure bikes, on my little island there's a few places where the extra travel, or even more plush travel would help. Dont really need "luggage" as I'm home every day.

however I was also thinking about another bike for the Thunderhill shop, not a track bike, but a travel bike.

part of the fun is the hunt I guess

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
I have only one bike and only one bike has me.

View attachment 52337

She needs some work to get her back and running well. I am looking to increase CC this year, something similar to what Maui has done with his...
You know I probably railed the shit out of my busa more when it was stock then after all the engine work. Don't get me wrong, I still like to leave dark stripes of rubber on the road coming out of a turn, but it generally hits too hard mid turn for how heavy it is, I have to be pretty much dedicated in a straight line to really hit it. I pretty much ride everything else faster in the turns.

nearly stock, a Hayabusa is a great motorcycle.

Qwik

High Altitude BAMF
Website
www.LABusas.org
Bought this RMZ450 the other day. 39E55BD9-07AC-4A5D-9CF6-E48F71734E97.jpeg
Paid $500 for it. Drained the oil and it’s full of chunks of metal. But the forks alone are worth about $700 so I will do okay. I’ve been wanting something like this for playing though.
6C68A32C-5C1D-453C-8083-583C37284D96.jpeg
I can’t afford a factory built one. But I can buy an older 450EXC and build one up. I can rip the trails and commute on it and then go play in Grand Junction afterwards.

Top Bottom