What's the best way to 'season' a new barbecue cooking surface?

gobrian77

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
Got my new stainless steel cooking grate for my Weber today ($89 total with shipping to my mom's house in NY- $57 to get it shipped to Thailand:2guns:).

What's the best way to prepare it before using it for the first time? I've heard it's better in the long run to set it up properly.

Any opinions?

OP
gobrian77

gobrian77

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
I wasn't sure- if I did it wrong all the "grill snobs" would be after me.:lol:

Billy V

BAMF
Are the cooking grates SS or Cast Iron ?

Season some steak and cook it, I don't think there is much to it if the grates are SS.
Clean the grill when it is still warm.

If the cooking grates are cast iron its better to wipe them down with oil before cooking.
Clean the grill while its warm.

OP
gobrian77

gobrian77

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
Are the cooking grates SS or Cast Iron ?

Season some steak and cook it, I don't think there is much to it if the grates are SS.
Clean the grill when it is still warm.

If the cooking grates are cast iron its better to wipe them down with oil before cooking.
Clean the grill while its warm.

They're stainless steel- I guess seasoning them isn't an issue- I'm gonna break 'em in with some chicken breasts and some pork loin tonight.:up:

From reading the post it is a new Grate only. Weber has different ones obviously for the different lines they offer. The prep for first use does not matter. For me I just spray with PAM and heat the grill as I do before every time before use to 650. The heat will burn off everything even the PAM for the most part. Difference in SS from cast iron or porcelain coated cast iron is there is no seasoning required really. Heating the grill to 600 or 650 burns off everything.

Cooked these yesterday. My daughter who is due next month late wanted chicken this year so this is what they looked like roasting yesterday on the Weber.

Top Bottom