What's new with the Money Pit?

rumble phish

BAMF+
I haven't posted much about the Money Pit lately because I figured y'all probably needed a break, but there have been a few new additions over the past few weeks.

First off, tires. I wasn't actually prepared to purchase tires just yet, and I was simply testing the waters to figure out which ones I'd end up with. Well, WP almost got his wish of me piling the Pit into a pole/tree/ditch, but the Universe apparently likes me and the Pit more than it likes WP (no big surprise there, huh?). On a trip to Sparks, NV to help my sister move some stuff I had a blow out coming down the grade on eastbound I-80 coming into Reno. Lost the driver's side rear doing 70 with a full load of furniture in the back of the Pit.

While the old take-off's from the CA Dept Of Forestry service trucks that I got from my buddy were in practically new condition (tread was perfect as they were unused spares), they were also pretty fucking old (14 years old). I was warned by the guys at the tire shop that mounted them that I probably shouldn't run'em too long. Well, 8 months and about 5000 miles later one of them finally gave up the ghost and de-laminated. The tread cap peeled right off and I ended up rolling on the rim for about 300 yards or so before I could get it stopped on the right shoulder. Luckily the truck tracked straight as an arrow and there was never any real drama. A scuffed rim and a little fender damage were the only casualties. I dropped the spare and rolled into Reno and went directly to Reno Vulcanizing, the local Goodyear dealer. After confirming that the rim was okay, I had them throw 4 new rubber donuts on the Pit.

I was prepared to go with the Falken Wildpeaks, but the Manager suggested the BFG AT KO2's. I asked him if they were that much better then the Falkens or the Goodyears, and his answer was "Well, I'm the Manager of a Goodyear dealership and I run the BFG's on my personal truck". SOLD. I ended up going up a bit in size to 285/70R17's (I was running 265/70's and stock is 255/70). And yes, I went with the load range E/10 ply. Fuckers are stiff and ride a little rough, but these will should take a sound beating and keep on going. I also got to try them out in the snow on the way back, as a storm blew in and I was driving back home over the pass in fairly heavy snowfall. They did great!

Where I made the red circle you can see where the bottom of the bed got curled up a bit when the pieces of tire came up and smacked it, and the plastic trim piece is hanging a little.

The other item I just installed today were LED spot/flood lights, replacing the 100 watt KC Apollo's on the bull bar. While they are certainly bright, they don't spot as well as the KC halogens. Actually, the new LED bulbs I put in the stock driving lights seem to be just as bright. However, they do spread the light from side to side very well, and when I turn on all the forward-facing lights it lights up the street like a stadium. They're claimed to be 240 watts for the pair (120 each), but I'm not so sue about that. Running them at 12-13 volts is respectable, but since they can take up to 30v I'm thinking of getting a step-up converter to take'em to 24v. I've read that really makes a difference. I will say that the mounting system was a bit of a PITA.

Amazon product
I also picked up some flush mount rear facing flood/spot lights (40 watts each) that will be mounted into the tailgate soon. These won't be "back-up" lights, but just area lights on a separate switch to light up the trail behind and possibly campsites.

Amazon product
Lastly I'll be converting all remaining lights to LEDs, as well as installing some puddle/rock lights (TBD).

whitepower

Color Belt Judo Guy
You didn't crash because i felt bad about saying you should crash that toilet into the first pole and retracted my statement (in my own head)
Next time you won't be so lucky if you keep posting about your bucket. I'll jinx you and do some feta/foreskin voodoo to make sure it sticks this time.

You have been warned.

OP
rumble phish

rumble phish

BAMF+
You didn't crash because i felt bad about saying you should crash that toilet into the first pole and retracted my statement (in my own head)
Next time you won't be so lucky if you keep posting about your bucket. I'll jinx you and do some feta/foreskin voodoo to make sure it sticks this time.

You have been warned.

Well, thanks for retracting it, even if it was just in your head. But the mental image of the feta/foreskin voodoo.... that's just fucking wrong man. You've got issues. 🤮

Those KOs always go a lot of miles for me. I always end up replacing them because they get too old, not worn out. Rotate every 5000 and for me they liked normal pressure on the street, as in no more than 40 psi.

RobBase

BAMF
The original KO's I had on my 2006 Screw lasted 105,000 miles (not a typo).
Mounted some old Generals that came on a nicer set of rims and ran them for a year.
Then came my KO2's that I have presently (E load rated).
They're great but be prepared to lose 3-5mpg of gas mileage

BigGar

high on placebo
Had that happen to me on the way to Vegas once. Old tires. KO's actually :) Mine never even lost any air. Just rolling along and all hell broke loose, then silence. Pulled off and had a steel belt balloon. Tires more than ten years old, some say even five on exotics and such, are fucking dangerous no matter how good they look.

Snail

BAMF. No. Really. As BAMF as they get.
Any landing you walk away from is a good landing...glad you didnt crash.

I'm pouting. My engine and trans are sitting in the shop mocking me while I wait for fuel intake parts. My money pit is hibernating.

Keep spending, it's good for the soul.

OP
rumble phish

rumble phish

BAMF+
Did you do anything special with your bike, you now this being "Bike Talk"?
Yeah, I did. I crashed it in spectacular fashion at Infineon Raceway about 10 years ago. :lol:

Shouldn't be a problem. I forget how many MPG he claims to get with that pig (30?), but whatever it was, he can afford to lose a few.
Just that one time, and it was @ 24 MPG I think. Knew it was too good to be true. The math checked out, but it must've been air trapped in the tank that caused the pump to click off (twice), making me believe it was full (gauge showed full too).

Long story short, I've been averaging 19 on the freeway, and about 15 around town. These KO2'S are significantly heavier than the other tires I had on the Pit, so I'm fully expecting to lose several MPG. Not that it really matters though, as I don't commute in this vehicle.

Vegas12

BAMF+
Had that happen to me on the way to Vegas once. Old tires. KO's actually :) Mine never even lost any air. Just rolling along and all hell broke loose, then silence. Pulled off and had a steel belt balloon. Tires more than ten years old, some say even five on exotics and such, are fucking dangerous no matter how good they look.

Maybe not to the point of self destruction, but high performance tires are worthless after 3 summers in Vegas......regardless of how much tread is left.

Almost like driving on wet slicks.

Bitched to a Toyo rep, he said all the oils basically get cooked out of the tire.

OP
rumble phish

rumble phish

BAMF+
Why 10 ply on a half ton truck?
I actually wasn't considering the 10 ply at first, but I do take the truck off road quite a bit and I've lost tires in the backwoods (cut sidewalls on sharp rocks and blown beads). I actually asked the collective here and took the majority's advice to go with the heavier tire. I do a little bit of hauling and towing with it, but honestly not enough to justify the E load rating. I just want tires that aren't going to fail on the trail.

RobBase

BAMF
The only way you'd get 24 mpg is if you pushed it halfway then rolled down a hill for the rest of the way.
With the 5.4, beat I ever got was 17-18, now it's around 12-14mpg. But I've got a crew cab long bed with a 1-200lbs of tools in it.

OP
rumble phish

rumble phish

BAMF+
The only way you'd get 24 mpg is if you pushed it halfway then rolled down a hill for the rest of the way.
With the 5.4, beat I ever got was 17-18, now it's around 12-14mpg. But I've got a crew cab long bed with a 1-200lbs of tools in it.
This is absolutely true. When I saw the number I knew in my heart that something wasn't right. I did the math over and over (pretty simple stuff, right?) but it coming out the same. All I can figure I that when the pump handle clicked off there was an air pocket or something. I clicked it again, but honestly I didn't wait between clicks like one normally should. Add to that the fuel gauges are never very accurate on any vehicle. You could be 2-3 gallons shy of a "full tank" and it'll still read full.

The best "true" MPG I ever got on it was just a tick over 20 MPG on the freeway. The light wheels help, the tires were only C load rated, fully inflated 265/70R17's, a tonneau cover on the bed and a decent tailwind.

BigGar

high on placebo
Maybe not to the point of self destruction, but high performance tires are worthless after 3 summers in Vegas......regardless of how much tread is left.

Almost like driving on wet slicks.

Bitched to a Toyo rep, he said all the oils basically get cooked out of the tire.
Not to mention Vegas has flat-out the slickest pavement I've ever driven on. Seems like no matter what you're driving the tires light up every time you take off and the rear end steps out on every turn. Like ice.

Top Bottom