What's a good OBD scan tool

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
To connect car to fancy computer phone? Not for me, a woman at work is axing. I have stand alone tools. Needs to read/reset codes and gauges.

Wretch

amazingly graceful
Here's the model I picked up.
It works just like it should and pretty easy, if you have the mindset for it's use:

Wretch

amazingly graceful
The one I linked to is the only reasonable one I found based here in the US.

Everything else is chinesium; unless you spend thousands.

BarryW

BAM
It's Chinesium, but has worked flawlessly for over 4 years. Less than $15 bux on Amazon and I use it with the free Torque (Lite) Android app. It will display channels, show and clear fault codes. It has worked on 4 different vehicles without a problem. Very handy cheap tool

Anal Disco

"Disco, Anal Disco"
View attachment 84087
It's Chinesium, but has worked flawlessly for over 4 years. Less than $15 bux on Amazon and I use it with the free Torque (Lite) Android app. It will display channels, show and clear fault codes. It has worked on 4 different vehicles without a problem. Very handy cheap tool
Same here. Super cheap, does the basics well.

Terry_Schiavo

ScrapBracket.org moderator and admins
only issue Ive had with the Chinesium was it drains the battery if left in... its a pain in the ass to get to on my subaru without tools. :(

Website
www.bikeland.org
Pretty much all current vehicles need an oem specific scantool - without one you will only see generic errors in the ecu, but for instance my bmw has about a dozen ecus... I use Protools to scan the bmw. The honda just use a generic unit but mostly useless as can't see body control ecu, brake ecu infotainment ecu etc... if anyone has a good (actually good as we returned several Amazon cheapies and just gave up in the end) unit that can actually scan all ecus post it up

BigGar

high on placebo
only issue Ive had with the Chinesium was it drains the battery if left in... its a pain in the ass to get to on my subaru without tools. :(
My son had one and it would drain the battery on his Subaru too. I wonder if it's a Subaru deal?

I have a little blue one like that, and a really old non-bluetooth corded one that is even less useful than the blue dongle. They can see all the basic codes and clear them. I've been tempted to get a more sophisticated one to see stuff like injector balance rates and other stuff on my Duramax, but not sure which one to get and I don't want to spend a ton.

Wretch

amazingly graceful
My son had one and it would drain the battery on his Subaru too. I wonder if it's a Subaru deal?

I have a little blue one like that, and a really old non-bluetooth corded one that is even less useful than the blue dongle. They can see all the basic codes and clear them. I've been tempted to get a more sophisticated one to see stuff like injector balance rates and other stuff on my Duramax, but not sure which one to get and I don't want to spend a ton.
The Innova unit I posted above does a great deal of things but, on the diesel issues you may need a specific model.
I mean the one I got does some diesels but, I haven't plugged it into one yet.

You may end up spending around $500.00 for what you need on the low end of the price scale.

I almost went for more famcy options but, settled with what I got.

I'm not unhappy with it.

Your Car Is Slow

HOLYBAMF

will say that the torque pro app unlocks far more pids within the factory GM ecu than the free "lite" version.

it is true it wont read some of the uber specific stuff like abs codes or similar (at least it wont for gm vehicles)...but it should read anything that triggers a check engine light.

its easily the best 20 dollar diagnostic tool you are going to get and will work for probably 95% of what any normal homeowner or shade tree mechanic will ever run into...and pay for itself many times over in allowing you to fix the most common CEL issues (loose gas caps, bad o2 sensors, yadda). and if its really stumping you, all the auto parts stores now offer free code scans with fancy scanners these days.

OP
Master-Cylinder

Master-Cylinder

Is not the purpose of OBDII standards be that they are all standard?

YCIS reminded me that the auto parts stores will give her a free scan, probably the way to go. She also has huge knockers, so they'll be stumbling over themselves to "help".

Your Car Is Slow

HOLYBAMF
Is not the purpose of OBDII standards be that they are all standard?

YCIS reminded me that the auto parts stores will give her a free scan, probably the way to go. She also has huge knockers, so they'll be stumbling over themselves to "help".
i dont believe shit like the abs codes or active suspension systems run under the obd system etc.

Ninjaman12R

Joe Rogan, I smoke rocks....🖕
I've got an actron, gave somewhere between $250 - $300 for it 5 or 6 years ago. It's been good for what I've needed it for.

Terry_Schiavo

ScrapBracket.org moderator and admins
what do you have in that thing a harbor freight battery? i leave my junk plugged in for months at a time and its never drained? its just an led light?
You would think...
Yah not sure... my buddy says it tricks the system into staying awake. He could see it in the fuse block when probing. I just pull the battery now

chuck356

BAMF
I bought one at the parts store a few years ago, paid less than $100 for it and it works pretty good for most tasks. I did have an issue with my Chevy Trailblazer losing the connection between the throttle pedal and the TPS (fly by wire shit), I borrowed a real high dollar scanner and by buddy (scanner cost more than the T/B is worth!) to narrow down the issue. And it was wrong. In the end, it was no better than my $100 tool in this case and the "smoking gun" it revealed as the problem part didn't fix the issue.

Wretch

amazingly graceful
If it can't clear codes your wasting your money.. a good scan tool going to coast you over $2.5k
The one I linked to clears codes, resets service lights, function tests subsystems and components, displays values and even has modes to help with bleeding ABS hydraulics...
...plus some functions I haven't looked into because I haven't needed them yet.
It's good for 1996 thru current vehicles.

It takes a bit of study/understanding of the information being displayed and knowing that it's more a tool to suggest where problems may lay and not necessarily exactly pinpointing literal problems.

In short, they all take deciphering to get what you want to know.

Wretch

amazingly graceful
Yeah, like low fuel pressure, or flow, on fuel injected motorcycles.
Or missing plugs/coils that aren't missing hard enough to throw a code, causing one to look in other places where the problem isn't.
Or multiple codes where only one is the real problem and the others set off by that one.

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
I had a sensor that is covered by the front winch push bar on the jeep. Bought four different scan units yet could not clear the code.. hadcto go to the dealer that could clear the code and shut off their sensor with the scan tool

Website
www.bikeland.org
i dont believe shit like the abs codes or active suspension systems run under the obd system etc.

all pulls out of the same port. BMW I can ping every module. With the Honda van our scanner couldnt see a fucking thing and it was impossible to diagnose the door lock issues needed to go to the dealer basically yes a real scanner would cost about $2.5k and for a reason. too many computers all throwing codes

pimpslayer

HOLYBAMF
I bought a cheap reader at Harbor Freight 5 or 6 years ago. I just wanted something to use on the road for the RV toter. It's come in handy a couple of times to nail down simple things. It does what I want it to for $29.95 (it's more now). I like that it clears the code when I fix something.

Anything I need above the simple stuff, I slide by the local Ford dealership and let my BIL slap the Ford unit on it. :lol:

OP
Master-Cylinder

Master-Cylinder

all pulls out of the same port. BMW I can ping every module. With the Honda van our scanner couldnt see a fucking thing and it was impossible to diagnose the door lock issues needed to go to the dealer basically yes a real scanner would cost about $2.5k and for a reason. too many computers all throwing codes
The GS-911 tool for motorcycles is a great scan tool, and it should be for a grand. You can get it cheaper, but it only allows you to scan five or so different BMW's, then you have to pay $400.00 to unlock unlimited motorcycles.

Billy V

BAMF
I had a sensor that is covered by the front winch push bar on the jeep. Bought four different scan units yet could not clear the code.. hadcto go to the dealer that could clear the code and shut off their sensor with the scan tool
I have the OBD2LINK MX+ works with iPhone or android, comes with app to diagnose problems and turn off codes.
- I originally bought this unit because the cummins forum guys highly recommended this devise to link with the ALFA OBD Software (separate software) that works with any Ram, Jeep, Alfa Romeo, etc. vehicle
You can change parameters or activate ANY Dealer Option on your vehicle - the software is very comprehensive. Even the odometer reading can be changed quite easily, there are no limits to what it can do.

2 separate devices.

Top Bottom