What the fuck is the deal with these new trucks and Jeeps with snorkels on them?

chuck356

BAMF
I see a new Toyota or two on the lot with what looks like a snorkel on the right side. Then today, a Jeep pulls up next to me with a big-ass snorkel on it as well, it looked very factory-installed. So what in the fuck are these idiots doing with these poor vehicles? I don't understand.

Wretch

amazingly graceful
Fording rivers can be fun if you're clever about it.

I never had a snorkel on my RamCharger but had in in waters up the the bottom of the windshield plenty of times when I was stationed in Alaska.
Just have good door seals and keep moving slowing across to create a bow wake so the engine has air to breathe.

Oh, and have rubber mat and not carpet on the floor.

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
Fording rivers can be fun if you're clever about it.

I never had a snorkel on my RamCharger but had in in waters up the the bottom of the windshield plenty of times when I was stationed in Alaska.
Just have good door seals and keep moving slowing across to create a bow wake so the engine has air to breathe.

Oh, and have rubber mat and not carpet on the floor.

When water gets that high on a car or truck during a flood, I think they total them. Why? Because all the wiring get wet or has water sitting in it and shit gets whacky after awhile. We have to repair wires and connectors on ATV's that are used as submarines.

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
You could also start becoming buoyant at that stage which can become a life altering event

Wretch

amazingly graceful
These were rivers I would cross and no more than 60 yards across and only a few moments maybe a minute in that depth but, still moving forward.

This was an 84' Dodge though so the new stuff likely couldn't handle it.
I never had a problem with it and always washed the truck after a day of wheeling.

If any water got in the cab it wasn't enough to reach the wiring.

gobrian77

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
The area I used to live in would flood like this all the time- while the water wasn't terribly deep, the problem was the wave caused by oncoming traffic that would wash over your hood- a snorkel wasn't a bad thing to have on your truck (that's the Chaweng Beach Road, on which many a labs member has drunkenly ridden his scooter back to my place with a 'ho' in tow'):lol::

617B54B2-0D22-4D11-8A31-7C9EB7234870.jpeg

Wretch

amazingly graceful
You could also start becoming buoyant at that stage which can become a life altering event
Never crossed anything flowing fast enough to make the truck light even a little.

I watched a station-wagon cross with about two inches of the top of the windshield out of the water.

It was a huge party place out on the mud flats and we often had a keg of two going on.
The cops couldn't/wouldn't cross the river to ticket us but would sometimes hang around waiting for some to leave.

We could usually outlast them.

fr0st

The Arvida Chancellor
I've seen some here too.. completely fucking useless here.. most of them end up showing off all shined up parked at coffee n' cars evening..

Master-Cylinder

People are plain old fucking stupid! When the water gets two or three feet here, as it does every few years, I ride my DT250.
I rode my scooter once thru water deep enough for it to be over the floorboard and the muffler tip was under water. Ain't doing that again! It was on a flooded street in the 'hood.

Master-Cylinder

Cuppla intersections around here get seriously deep anytime it rains a good bit. You'd think they'd fix them...but no.

I'd say every one that rigs a snorkel up from some hardware store PVC probably utilizes it, everyone that has some injected molded plastic kit on their late model vehicle is probably a poser. I saw a lot more of those out west though, like you need that shit for the desert.

whitepower

Color Belt Judo Guy
I guess you guys don t hunt
You go into the forest, you re bounf to cross a river or two.

No snorkel means blown motor. Simple as that

Top Bottom