What major tools are in your DIY garage?

OP
CZLoco

CZLoco

artist formerly known as quad destroyer and...
One of those headband led lights is the first thing I reach for now when I start work in the garage.
This is the one I have and I love it.
Light and bright!
I'll even use it during the daytime if I'm working deep in the engine.
Amazon product

Your Car Is Slow

HOLYBAMF
One of those headband led lights is the first thing I reach for now when I start work in the garage.

My buddy has the snap on magnetic work light with good adjustability and angles. I'd never buy one for that money but I'm glad he has it. It's designed very well.
i used to use those...till someone turned me on to these

the magnet on the bottom is stupid strong..holds to anything (well anything magnetic..which should be most old shit)...and the light is brighter than the sun! rechargable via usb cable and regularly goes on sale for 24.99 (id certainly not pay 39.99 for it, but clearly these things sell like hotcakes regularly...thus the huge markup from the usual discounted price)

wand is adjustible in all directions...its easily brighter than any of my previous hand held hood lights...even brighter than the huge LED "tube" light I had previously.

Fever500

BAMF

View attachment 30505

the magnet on the bottom is stupid strong..holds to anything (well anything magnetic..which should be most old shit)...and the light is brighter than the sun! rechargable via usb cable and regularly goes on sale for 24.99 (id certainly not pay 39.99 for it, but clearly these things sell like hotcakes regularly...thus the huge markup from the usual discounted price)

wand is adjustible in all directions...its easily brighter than any of my previous hand held hood lights...even brighter than the huge LED "tube" light I had previously.
Yep .. I have the same one ... love it.

View attachment 30505

I have two of them. They're awesome. Use them for all kinds of stuff.

Austin_F

BAMF+
When I click YOUR link, I get that deal.

But when I went to hf site myself, it was full price. And the link looks the same.

Snipaste_2020-02-14_15-07-00.png

Snipaste_2020-02-14_15-05-58.png

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
well for shits and giggles I tried the HF deal to see what would happen:

Anonymous Elvis 13

Anonymous Lurker Poop
A trailer to haul the bikes to a mechanic.

Sent from my REVVL 2 using Tapatalk

OP
CZLoco

CZLoco

I put one on my wishlist :lol:

I actually already have a similar product from Home Depot but the magnet sucks.
It'll hang upside down or rightside up but hates angles.
And it doesn't bend.
Kinda like me these days.

OP
CZLoco

CZLoco

I don't anticipate giving up my beloved headlamp, but you never know.

I bought a bluetooth OBD II scanner off of Amazon. My beater PT was turning on the CEL and GAS CAP lights and the dealer couldn't find a reason. Hooked up my scanner for real time and found out I wasn't completing the drive cycle test for the Evap system. It passed the self test, and I got it smogged. Good for 2 years.

I also have a cheap endoscope for my phone.

Other than that, my fun stuff is all the tools for setting up gears for my race car.

And I have 12 toolboxes full of hand tools and such.

Your Car Is Slow

HOLYBAMF
since we are on "handy tools I previously had never used" someone turned me on to the poly abrasive wheel this week for clearing bodywork of paint/bondo/rust.

id pretty much either used a coiled wire wheel on a grinder, or a flap disc...both of which are pretty harsh on thin sheetmetal....and color me impressed at how well this freaking wheel works!

fits right on any 4" grinder...4.99 each at harbor freight. apparently they even make them to go on 7 and 8" big buffing wheels/grinders when you really gotta clear some area!

These straight up power right on thru incredible levels of paint and bondo rust and scale...and dont see to have any appreciable damage to the sheetmetal itself (ie i cant flatten out a lip or hole with it like I could a flap disc in seconds etc). and somehow doesnt seem to clog up like you would expect!

only downside is it seems to struggle to get rust out of really deep pitted areas. but man...this is a dream for anyone doing bodywork prep or repair for paint!

OP
CZLoco

CZLoco

These "roloc" are indeed being recommended in many rust-removal threads that I've read recently.
Here's a couple I have in my Amazon cart to remind me to research them further when the time comes that I'm ready to start painting.

Amazon product
Amazon product

Your Car Is Slow

HOLYBAMF
those 1.5" ones would take you forever to do any significant area of body work.

shit with harbor freight angle grinders regularly going on sale for 9.99...i have about 6 of them in the shop all with different heads on them. at that price they all are disposable (and yet ive not ever had one die on me)

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
Are six floor jacks too many to have in your garage? I was cleaning out the place today and noticed I have six of them. Seven if you count the Harley floor jack thing. Ten if you count the screw jacks and bottle jacks. I'm jacked!

OP
CZLoco

CZLoco

I'd like to get some old Craftsman or other mfg old school floor-standing Hydraulic Press off of Craigslist someday.
IDK where I'd put it but I bet it would come in pretty handy more often than I might think.

Master-Cylinder

I have one with a claimed 30 ton capacity. I don't know how much it actually pushes, but it gets the job done. The ram on it is 2.25 dia. and the jacks body is around 5 inch dia. Each stroke of the pump moves it about 1/16 of an inch. Fucking takes forever to get it down to the work, but it flat works! Some cranks are so tight, that when I press them apart, they pop and sound lit a .22!

Master-Cylinder

Hot damn, says on it it has been tested at 30 tons! Maybe on the moon, or maybe it is legit. Never run across anything I couldn't ruin with it...yet.

Snail

BAMF. No. Really. As BAMF as they get.
Welders, compressors, saws, 4 head moulder, planers, 7.5 kw Cat genset, tire changer, ovethead hoist, drill press,grinders, anvil, vises, jacks, nailers....

OP
CZLoco

CZLoco

My great grandfather lived in a garage, well it was actually a room on the end of the garage. He'd go up to the house for meals. He just preferred to be left alone.
He and I would get along great.
We'd never talk to each other.
We'd just work on our own projects in separate garages at opposite sides of the house.

Top Bottom