What major tools are in your DIY garage?

CZLoco

artist formerly known as quad destroyer and...
So if you're a total DIY'er.
Fabricating small fitment parts for an engine swap.
Rebuilding an engine for your bike or car.
Doing tons of projects around your house.
What comprises YOUR garage/dadshop/momshop?

OP
CZLoco

CZLoco

I've got my mind on a medium sized powdercoating kit.
And a buzzsaw dealio.
A drill press would be super nice also.
So many DIY dreams. So little time. ughh

OP
CZLoco

CZLoco

Some heavy duty garage equipment so far.

Okay, now let's hear from the Ed's and Maui's of the board.

:fu: :fu:

For the record, I've got 18V and 40V Ryobi 'ish.
A 10" Ryobi table saw.
Angle grinder from Harbor Fright :lol:
A couple of semi-well packed tool chests.
<looks around>
And a shit ton of elbow grease.

BusaVeloce

Cappo di tutti Cappo
Website
www.infowars.com
i think the best tool i have invested in is my HEPA filtered dust collection system i installed... shop stays much cleaner... and it catches the lions share of the silver and gold particles that i would loose to the environment.

Ed

Okay, now let's hear from the Ed's and Maui's of the board.
I'm in limbo, currently- sold my metal-cutting lathe when I sold the house (miss the lathe, not the house) and everything other than a box of hand tools is in storage.

Austin_F

BAMF+
Harbor freight 12" compound saw, and a decent table saw.

Came in real handy when doing windows and trim

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
I'm like a baby Shark, baby Nitro Shark, he's got the shit!

But, I have a band saw, circular saw, jig saw, Swazall, coping saw, Dewalt miter saw, regular old hand saw, chop saw for metal, cold cut saw for metal, pneumatic hacksaw, key hole saw, whole bunch of hole saws. And probably a few others.

Three air compressors, one that is fucking huge, one that is big, and a portable one. A framing nail gun and a trim nail gun.

Then you have your big ass Rigid oscillating/edge belt sander, hand held belt sander, electric orbital sander, pneumatic orbital/DA sander. Then you have you 4 inch angle grinder, 8 inch angle grinder, three bench grinders with different wheels on them, pencil and porting tools, Roto Zip thing.

And of course a lathe, mill, boring bar, press, bead blast cabinet, electro/pneumatic tyre changer, electric power tyre balancer, a coupler Handy air lifts, engine hoist, finger brake, and a whole bunch of other stuff that doesn't come to mine.

There will be a hell of a garage sale when I die. Wife calls it all junk and says I need to get rid of it.

MIG welder, spool gun welder, oxy/acetylene welder. I would like to get a TIG welder and maybe a plasma cutter.

So... I pretty much have shit covered.

Stetson

BAMF
I was cleaning up and putting shit away after messing with some bikes this weekend, and I somehow have 3 identical 10 mm wrenches in my wrench drawer! I thought i only had 2, so I apologize if anyone is missing one. And all 10 mm sockets are accounted for. :up:

Your Car Is Slow

HOLYBAMF
when i built the new shop i put in two huge workbenches and inset a miter saw in between them flush with the surface.

that saw and the convenience of having 8' of workbench on either side is easily the most used tool in my garage...well for something thats significant and not a hand tool anyway.

BilletMan

BAMF+
You're a freak! Apparently a neat-freak!
I was cleaning up and putting shit away after messing with some bikes this weekend, and I somehow have 3 identical 10 mm wrenches in my wrench drawer! I thought i only had 2, so I apologize if anyone is missing one. And all 10 mm sockets are accounted for. :up:

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
There's certainly some major shops that are not in the DIY category, Jesse James, Billetman, Nitro Shark, very different types of shops, for very different types of production. I'm not sure if NS really does outside work, if he even wants to, but anyone who can make a camshaft in their shop for a top fuel engine has my respect for sure. JJ and BM are more in the biz side though I suspect JJ's home shop would be really fun to see. But I'd like to see all of them. Stites is well on his way to having a large production CNC shop, been there, he's thoughtfully growing it out. I think he could out grow his building if he hits his stride.

Many others, Dolan is more of a museum then a shop but he can certainly take on any project. I don't know what LEO Steve has but he could probably take 2 chop sticks and some gum and build a space shuttle if he had too....and it would have cup holders that worked and be capable of interstellar travel.

My shop is now days for personal use. I'm semi retired. Currently have 2 cars and 4 motorcycle parked in it.

I still do the odd favor here and there. I'm gonna leave some shit out, cause I can't remember.

Basic stuff would be a couple of rolling tool boxes that I have somewhat of an idea the contents. Milling machine, Lathe, tooling for both, TIG/MIG/Oxy-acetylene/Plasma and a couple options for stick welding (which I still love) Generator(s) cause we get hit by storms here... I have a small forge that I can move around, another one I can semi mobile set up around bigger pieces that don't fit inside (excavator thumb was the last thing). Some of the other things, 175# anvil? I have the beginnings of building a larger forge.

Things I don't have...as mentioned in another thread I'm looking to upgrade my current TIG welder. Not get rid of it, just add another one. Also considering picking up an English wheel.

I just took delivery on a new 10k 2 post lift, that's gonna help some. I have a bike lift taking up that realestate right now thats gonna move left of center.

I have a shop at Thunderhill now going on the second year. It's pretty basic but I'm slowly building it out. Right now basic tools, bike stands, jacks etc, air compressor, not sure how many bikes are in there right now I'd have to ask Qwik. I've tried to auction off Terry Shivo's R1 now for a bit, but no luck yet. There is a Silverado crew cab dually there and my current 28' race trailer. It's not really a fab shop as much as maintenance. It's on the front straight of the west track (I can see the top of the front straight and most of turn 1). They have decent security there and my neighbors all have more expensive stuff then I do so that's a plus. I can ride my supermoto out the door and hit the track entrance a couple hundred feet away.

Last edited:

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
oddly enough...hf now sells an english wheel thats quite affordable...and from all accounts works very well for the hobbyist!
just looked that up, evidently theres an issue with the bottom anvils not being available. The 1 star ratings mentioned this often, the first 5 star rating said it would be better if it had anvils....not sure how you get a 5 star rating on a machine thats missing parts that are discontinued but...

I have had reasonable luck and good customer service with Eastwood. Maybe Chinese stuff but those guys seem on it. It's more then 2x the HF but it does have all the parts.

Woodward Fab English Wheel and Stand
p13528.jpg

Last edited:

Your Car Is Slow

HOLYBAMF
interesting...are the anvils just missing from the packages?

friend of mine bought one (which is how i knew it even existed) and it had the whole set...it certainly looked good to me with my cursory finger fucking...but i honestly have no idea what the fuck im looking at nor do i have a metal shaping project currently to try it out on. but for the price ill certainly pick one up should I discover a project I want to fuck with like that!

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
no idea, just started reading the reviews, lots of people saying that they can't get the anvils and they are discontinued.

Your Car Is Slow

HOLYBAMF
interesting, i wonder if those folks are ordering them online and having it shipped or buying in the store. id think id check the box before I drove home (or simply return it).

it shows its still available on the website, and i saw one on the floor last time I was at harbor freight.

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
dunno..

I don't have the ability to walk into a HF store which make me a bit more skeptical

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
ah yea, if i read that id certainly not order one online to have it delivered. keep forgetting you live on the island (which is ironic given your fucking username). :lol:
yea so under the heading of "for example" I ordered a sheet of 18ga steel, 10'x4'. Instead of the guys here calling me to tell me it was in, I had to call them. That is pretty typical here. Because a 10' sheet is not really worth me driving my flat bed down for, I cut 2 10' pieces of 2x2 cold roll to drop it on in the back of my Tundra. I get there, I see my sheet on a pallet, I go over, it's rusty, bummer, mild though, I reach down and it feels a little off. The owner calls me into his office and says....16ga is close enough right?

uh

no

and then I drove home home....

OP
CZLoco

CZLoco

I just picked up one of these. Haven't even taken it out of the boxes yet.
Useless on a lifted truck, but it looks like a neat lift for a fancy DIY shop.

OP
CZLoco

CZLoco

nice update...i will say the handiest tool ive bought all year is a topside creeper.

no more hauling my fat gut on top of fenders and radiators etc...this is hands down the best 199/delivered tool ive ever bought (amazon too!)

i cant explain how amazingly comfortable it is to work on the top and back of an engine with this...

View attachment 30475
Dammit now I'm researching these!
I cannot tell you how painful it can be, stretching my body way deep into the back of the Bronco's engine bay.

OP
CZLoco

CZLoco

no more hauling my fat gut on top of fenders and radiators etc...this is hands down the best 199/delivered tool ive ever bought (amazon too!)
Looks like Jeg's on Amazon has a copy of it for $170 shipped.
Amazon product
Everyone seems to like the $200 one better than the "pro" $300 one from the same mfg.

Useless on a lifted truck, but it looks like a neat lift for a fancy DIY shop.
I don't know about fancy, but I have a 10,000 lb 2-post lift in my shop. This little one will be in the bay that doesn't have the big lift or the high ceiling. Probably will use it mostly for my Corvette, which is a pain in the dick to get on the big lift.

Your Car Is Slow

HOLYBAMF
it is worth every fucking penny...

even for random shit like plug changes and such becomes a pleasant task instead of an hours worth of reinventing new curse words and discovering all new levels of pissed off for things that were specifically designed to be exactly 1" further than the maximum length of my arms.

there is quite literally a ground lug/connector that is not connected on the back of that green trucks head that ive left there for going on 6 or 8 months because its such a pain to get to...im pretty sure I bought this creeper JUST to get to that. It just happened to be of way more use in taking off the head on this 300ci I6 motor. (did I mention a 4.9liter inline 6 head from a 1976 ford weighs over 90lbs?)

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
This is a very handy tool for filling cooling systems/radiators, especially scooters with the radiator in the front and engine at the rear. Speeds the job up ten fold! I have two of them.
Nice thing aboot it, you're checking for leaks before you start filling the system with coolant. If it can't hold vacuum, it can't hold pressure.

RollieFree

BAMF
I have everything I need or could ever want. I make shit that goes down the road and into space with NASA. I am a fortunate man. My home shop now is all metal shaping...and still under construction. I like the hand work that captures your energy into a living thing.
If any of you fucks come to Prescott, AZ give me a ring. I’ll give you a tour of the shop and a good time. Just not this semester.
RF

Vegas12

BAMF+
nice update...i will say the handiest tool ive bought all year is a topside creeper.

i cant explain how amazingly comfortable it is to work on the top and back of an engine with this...

View attachment 30475

It is a handy tool.

I kept catching myself on those sharp ass corners so I ground them diagonally.

On assembly, one of the bottom pieces didn't have a hole drilled.

The company sent out another one instantly but wanted the old one sent back....minor PITA but I packaged it and got it to a UPS store eventually.

Last edited:

Austin_F

BAMF+
One of those headband led lights is the first thing I reach for now when I start work in the garage.

My buddy has the snap on magnetic work light with good adjustability and angles. I'd never buy one for that money but I'm glad he has it. It's designed very well.

Top Bottom