What kinda lid are you wearing these days?

OP
Stuman

Stuman

smoothly disappears
Website
www.stumanrides.com
I always stop using my helmets once they pass 5 years old. But being the cheap fuck that I am I always wondered if this is just a way for the helmet manufactures to sell more helmets?

By the way, I've used a lot of brands in the past and I'm not loyal to any of them. I've had really nice helmets from KBC and Shoie and used both for many years. The Shoie GT Air is a great helmet, but a bit pricey. I've had a few Shoies in the RF line and they were always good as well.

I had really bad experience with Suomy and would never buy another. I had a few of them that I crashed in and had concussions when I don't think I should have.

I've was using a cheap AGV K3 SV for the last five years and it sucked. I didn't like the lining, it was SUPER noisy, and had crappy build quality. I hated it from the day I got it but used it for five years cause, like I said, I'm cheap as hell :) I'm sure the higher end AGV helmets are much better, at least I hope they are. I really like the graphics on my old helmet and a lot of the other AGVs though.

Ed

Graphics are only somewhat on my radar- another of my lids is semigloss black- I like some pizzaz, but don't want some idiot to run over me because they were fixated on my helmet.

pimpslayer

HOLYBAMF
This topic is intriguing, seeing the variety.

I wore this 1100 well past it's freshness date, would have bought one again. A little noisier and heavier than the 1400, and the 1400 has better aeros but the 1100 vents were superior:

Ed hit on something here....it's hard to make a quiet helmet with good ventilation. The more vents you have, the more noise is going to get in.

I've worn Arai pretty much exclusively after '91, which is when I started selling helmets at the shop*. I found out I have an Arai head, and I measure all other helmets against them.

*(we sold Arai, Shoei, AGV, HJC and a couple cheaper brands for the $50 head crowd)

kawachan

BAMF
Shoei GT Air II when riding the 14, LS 2 when riding my KTM and I may head off to play in the dirt.

Ed

Was out fucking with the helmets a few minutes ago- my #2 is a Shoei Qwest in black semigloss:

This one is noisier still than the 1400, but the top-of-head vent catches more breeze on my more-upright bikes (a plus)... it also lets me run an NOJ helmet skirt which won't work with the 1400 and is a real plus in cold or shit weather. Keeps a lot of bugs out in the summer as well.

You gain or give up things on each type of helmet
Agree 100%, it's always a trade-off.

Last edited:
  • Red
Reactions: Red

Kirk

BAMF
Ed hit on something here....it's hard to make a quiet helmet with good ventilation. The more vents you have, the more noise is going to get in.

I've worn Arai pretty much exclusively after '91, which is when I started selling helmets at the shop*. I found out I have an Arai head, and I measure all other helmets against them.

*(we sold Arai, Shoei, AGV, HJC and a couple cheaper brands for the $50 head crowd)
Ear plugs.

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
plain white no matter which style keeps the heat our better … one thin blue line K9 decal on the back of the helmet of every helmet I have,,

Top Bottom