What kinda lid are you wearing these days?

Stuman

smoothly disappears
Website
www.stumanrides.com
My helmet I use on the street just reached it's expiration date so I had to get a new one. I picked up an HJC RPHA 70 Carbon and I'm loving it. I commute to work every day and I need a nice helmet for the street. This thing is super light, well vented and very quiet. It has an internal flip down sun visor which is a must have for me on a street helmet.

On the track I use a 6D Helmet. These are simply the safest helmet you can get. They have a very unique and patented construction that makes them unlike any other helmet on the market. They have a very wide eye port so you have great vision and they are well vented. If 6D made a helmet with a drop down sun visor I would use them on the street, but they haven't figured out how to do that without compromising their design.

Ren

BAM
I have a varied mix of helmets for specific seasons/uses, since I'm a 365 day a year rider.

My summer (warm weather) commuting and BDR/solo off-road helmet is an LS2 Explorer Carbon. Love this thing! It's light, flows a ton of air, and is quieter than my over 1lbs heavier and hotter Scorpion AT-950, the Carbon Explorer also has the built in drop down visor. It flows so much air even with all the vents closed I can't use it in cold weather.

LS2 Explorer Carbon.jpg

My winter commuting helmet is my Scorpion AT-950 modular adventure helmet, It has the drop down built in visor as well, it's fairly cheap and heavy but the optional stuff you can get for this thing is the bomb and it is comfy. I have bought the "snowmobile version" double pane shield and breath box kit for this thing and in the middle of winter it will not fog period.

Scorpion AT-950.jpg

Lastly, is my group or riding with buddy's dirt helmet and goggles, my other two helmets can take goggles too if I remove the shields but that's a pain. It's just a super vented Leatt GPX 5.5 with Leatt 6.5 goggles. It's super light, the honeycomb vents on the chin, top and back of the helmet you can fully see through due to the massive venting straight to my head, not the liner.

Leatt GPX 5.5.jpg

Oh and I almost forgot the one bike I have that I ride with all these helmets is a 2019 KTM 690 Enduro R.

Ktm 690 Enduro R.jpg

Last edited:
  • Red
Reactions: Red

scottcolbath

BAMF+
Shoei rf 1200. I just realized it's 5 1/2 years old.
I picked up my first RF-1200 a couple years ago. It is my current helmet. Before that it was an X-11 and then an X-12. I never fell in love with the RF. This past Sunday, aftergiving the RF a proper disassembly and shampoouing, it wasn't dry and I needed to go out on the bike. So, I always keep the prior helmet as a backup. This was the old X-12. It felt like an old friend. Believe it or not, it was quieter and more pleasant to wear than the RF. I think I'm going to check out the latest X helmet to see if I can live with it.

S.C.

C. Dolan

BAMF+
My helmet I use on the street just reached it's expiration date so I had to get a new one. I picked up an HJC RPHA 70 Carbon and I'm loving it. I commute to work every day and I need a nice helmet for the street. This thing is super light, well vented and very quiet. It has an internal flip down sun visor which is a must have for me on a street helmet.

View attachment 106206

On the track I use a 6D Helmet. These are simply the safest helmet you can get. They have a very unique and patented construction that makes them unlike any other helmet on the market. They have a very wide eye port so you have great vision and they are well vented. If 6D made a helmet with a drop down sun visor I would use them on the street, but they haven't figured out how to do that without compromising their design.

View attachment 106207
RE: " They have a very wide eye port so you have great vision. ''

Vertical or horizontal ?
I have been using NEXX CF helmets due to higher top of opening to see better on sport bikes,
while leaned forward..

• Red

02SE

BAMF
The current and the last are Arai Corsair X. Different Arai models going back to the 90's. Shoei before that.

OP
Stuman

Stuman

smoothly disappears
Website
www.stumanrides.com
RE: " They have a very wide eye port so you have great vision. ''

Vertical or horizontal ?
I have been using NEXX CF helmets due to higher top of opening to see better on sport bikes,
while leaned forward..
Vertical although their shell is a little thicker because of the design so it negates this to some degree. Still it is a good view when. In a corner and looking up.

tinhead

Has never named a pet

AGV K6 Going to need a new shield soon. AGV doesn't seem to want to produce an amber Pinloc insert for it. I've paid less for helmets than AGV wants for the damn shield. Italian capitalist pig bastards.

Best street helmet yet. I used Shoei X-(xx) for over 15 years until they went over the moon with pricing

• Red

CZLoco

artist formerly known as quad destroyer and...
I hated the visor on the RF1400.
And I hated even more, the fact that you can't see in front of you when crouched over the tank.
The helmet shell comes too far down over the eyes.
Nice helmet for cruising if you can get past the weird visor (hard to flip up).
Terrible helmet for racing.

Sold it for a loss and bought a Bell RACE STAR FLEX DLX.
Flows a lot of air. Comfortable. Light enough.
Can see easily when laying down on tank at speed.
Not as good as my old X-11 for turning my head to the side at speed (such as looking behind me at 85MPH). Gets caught up a little bit in the wind but not real bad.
Almost quiet with the neck thing in place.
I removed the neck part for more air flow and now it's kinda loud.
Large pockets for ear speakers.

A little dirty in this picture with Sail's custom bumper sticker :lol:

Last edited:

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
For racing a Bell Racerstar CF. Made it almost a year on this one, have a new one that I'll probably start using in Sept. after about 5 or 6 crashes, a couple times its been on the ground lightly, rather play it safe though, going to make it a back up lid.

Street riding I have a gold and black X14 Shoei like this one... Its a good helmet. I'd be willing to replace it with another one. I have a a red and black one too.
Probably have 5 or 6 other helmets that are still serviceable (maybe aged out). Others that are certainly too old but I've kept them for various reason...I should probably toss them. Dust collectors but memories that go with them are still good.

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
Eddie I'm with you on the sight limitations of helmets when in certain positions.. simply the brow limits upward sight. I've been on a hunt for the perfect helmet and so far no helmet on the market if perfect. You gain or give up things on each type of helmet but no helmet so far is perfect.

Ed

the fact that you can't see in front of you when crouched over the tank
Both of my bikes are more upright than yours is, so no issue for me but I can see your complaint :up:

The visor release took getting used to, but it only took a couple of rides... I like the way it clicks to lock, compared to the side latch of my earlier RF-series helmets.

CZLoco

The visor release took getting used to, but it only took a couple of rides... I like the way it clicks to lock, compared to the side latch of my earlier RF-series helmets.
The RF-1400 visor click-to-lock was nice.
And so was the indent where you could set it to like 3/4" open for air flow. It would stay in place no matter how hard the wind hit it from any direction.
I forget exactly how far open it was but I like to ride like that and it worked better than previous helmets I'd owned.
The Bell isn't anywhere near as good in this regard. Actually, it sucks now that I think about it.

Reactions: Ed

CZLoco

One reason I went with the RF-1400 and then on to the Bell RaceStar is because of the Photochromic visor they both offer.
This is a visor that transitions from clear to "dark" depending on how much light it senses.

So, if you're out in the sun, the visor gets to about the "mid" you see below (none get super dark).
And if you roll through a tunnel, then a few seconds later it goes to "clear".
Not everyone needs this functionality but it's been of huge benefit to me.
And you don't lose some head protection from helmets with built-in flip-down sun visor.

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
I use a Shoei GT Air 2 and a AGV K5S
Love the AGV better.
Waiting for my Suomy to come in and also getting the Scorpion EXO R1 Air carbon.
best interior is in the Scorpion believe it or not.
Btw best deals only @bombayms

Shoei prices went up yesterday 😇

Only problem is NO ONE is stocking helmets to try on.. specially high end ones. So getting the right helmet is now impossible

Places like cycle gear and the like all have medium range helmets .. and a huge stock of low end ... motorcycle dealers don't sell like you or Revzilla so they can't put a 500k order together to stock helmets that may or may not sell before the expiration date. ..

Bandit Man

BAMF
Only problem is NO ONE is stocking helmets to try on.. specially high end ones. So getting the right helmet is now impossible

Places like cycle gear and the like all have medium range helmets .. and a huge stock of low end ... motorcycle dealers don't sell like you or Revzilla so they can't put a 500k order together to stock helmets that may or may not sell before the expiration date. ..
Why should they stock expensive helmets? Very few get sold because everyone just trys them on then goes on the internet to buy them. Tires will be next.

Kirk

BAMF
I picked up an HJC RPHA 70 Carbon and I'm loving it. I commute to work every day and I need a nice helmet for the street. This thing is super light, well vented and very quiet. It has an internal flip down sun visor which is a must have for me on a street helmet.

View attachment 106206
I had a carbon HJC that I used for commuting. It was fine...

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
Same with nitrous bottles. I always see 'em for sale, if I ask for the #'s on the bottle I almost always get crickets.
filing a nitrous bottle with an expired hydro test can get someone killed. As you (obviously) know thats something you absolutely stand your ground on. Helmet date codes....for street riding I doubt most people take seriously. It's not like you have to pass tech.

fr0st

The Arvida Chancellor
Scorpion exo st 1400 carbon..

Quiet, light , has a pump to inflate to seal better, has holes for installing bluetooth comm device.. sun visor that retracts, comes with a spare visor too..

It's also cheaper and better in anyway than my shoei gt-air was

Ed

This topic is intriguing, seeing the variety.

I wore this 1100 well past it's freshness date, would have bought one again. A little noisier and heavier than the 1400, and the 1400 has better aeros but the 1100 vents were superior:

I'd be open to trying other brands in the price range, but as noted above the local Cycle Gear selection is not on par.

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
This topic is intriguing, seeing the variety.

I wore this 1100 well past it's freshness date, would have bought one again. A little noisier and heavier than the 1400, and the 1400 has better aeros but the 1100 vents were superior:

I'd be open to trying other brands in the price range, but as noted above the local Cycle Gear selection is not on par.
super happy with my Bell right now.

Top Bottom