What happens to destitute old people with no family?

CZLoco

artist formerly known as quad destroyer and...
What happens to retirement age people who have no immediate family and find themselves in a situation where they can no longer care for theirselves?
Like, disabled. Can't barely poop on their own kinda stuff. Or maybe their brain is shot.
I'd assume there are homes that are paid for by us tax payers.
But then if that's true then why are there so many homeless people?

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
What happens to retirement age people who have no immediate family and find themselves in a situation where they can no longer care for theirselves?
Like, disabled. Can't barely poop on their own kinda stuff. Or maybe their brain is shot.
Planning for your future?
They become a ward of the state, in other words, they wish they'd died.

OP
CZLoco

CZLoco

Planning for your future?
Yes, actually.
That stupid retirement thread has me wondering if I should go where I have no family (better living choices) or go where I have family (not crazy about the locals).
But Mom was diagnosed with Alzheimers/Dementia before she passed.
So I mean, that could be a part of my future too.

There is no guarantee that family will go out of their way to help me if I ever get into that sort of spot.
I mean, I'm down to nothing left but several dozen cousins and second cousins. Or will be within a few more years.
So it may not matter one way or the other. But I still want to know.

Terry_Schiavo

Moderately Banned
i dont get the whole moving to some place in retirement.
Your life is over by then... Id much rather live in an area that has much to offer for my living years. Hence why Im so vested in my local area. On top of which the Mayo clinic is just 2 miles away which offers free senior healthcare. So no medical tourism necessary unless I want to get into a gender bender

DungBeatle

Scarabaeidae Scarabaeinae
When I found out both of my parents were bedridden, I drove 1,000 miles to their house so I could take care of them. The neighbors were taking advantage of them. One neighbor got their car, another a lawn tractor and I don't know what else. But my mom was trying to sell the house to one neighbor for $60,000. I moved both of my parents to live with me and sold their house for $300,000.

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
A NO ONE pays off your house... you become a ward of the state.. ANYTHING of value will be sold off and that money put for your care and medical..

You can pay for a long term heth care policy .. but even five star care facilities are not going to do a great job..

Plan .... don't live that long.

Terry_Schiavo

Moderately Banned
'like'? You're such a juvenile
It's your fucking mom
There's a code around such things
well I didnt graduate from Barbazon finishing school but Ill be damned if I believe you live by any code except anonymity. The old adage "do unto others" would apply. That only runs one way in my family tree

gobrian77

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
One neighbor got their car
When my mother died in January, one of the neighbors went after her car (a three-year-old Altima in perfect condition with fewer than 10K old-lady miles on the odometer) by offering my dad practically nothing for it when he wasn't in any condition (at the time- he's actually OK mentally, but it was a bad time for him, obviously) to deal with it and was ready to say 'Yes' just to get them to leave him alone- I put a quick stop to that shit.

Terry_Schiavo

Moderately Banned
Best thing that can happen to old people is to be Asian, Hispanic or some other race/nationality that has it in their culture
to take care of their elders until they die. It's the least they can do.
that sounds racist. But I have an uncle that partied his way thru life and is laid up on my fathers 3rd story walkup couch. Upon moving in my uncle got some $5/month medical plan that has paid way more in claims than the contributing pool must be worth.
Long story short is my uncle lucky or fortunate. He doesnt have any income or assets.

Terry_Schiavo

Moderately Banned
Does that mean there is a shitty little state-run nursing home with my name on a cold, hard cot, somewhere?
Okay cool, just making sure. :up:
I seriously suggest visiting one. They are worse than prisons. They work on volume, medicade and SSI. So a doc comes in 1 day a month for all patients. Gets a negotiated fee... then it starts over. Nurses on staff?? hahaha try CNAs if youre lucky. Is Master-Cylinder Master-Cylinder there scrubbing toilets? hell no... its filthy.

OP
CZLoco

CZLoco

i dont get the whole moving to some place in retirement.
Your life is over by then... Id much rather live in an area that has much to offer for my living years. Hence why Im so vested in my local area. On top of which the Mayo clinic is just 2 miles away which offers free senior healthcare. So no medical tourism necessary unless I want to get into a gender bender
I can't speak for anyone else of course.
But for one thing, I miss all the family I grew up around.
Only one of them is in the same state I am but even then they're almost four hours away.

I'm also thinking about moving further from the city and closer to nature.
And if I were to move, I may as well open up my options to somewhere I'd really want to put down roots and a home I'd be willing to put all my money into.

I'm sure I'll forget all about these thoughts by next week but for now it's what's on my mind.

OP
CZLoco

CZLoco

I seriously suggest visiting one. They are worse than prisons. They work on volume, medicade and SSI. So a doc comes in 1 day a month for all patients. Gets a negotiated fee... then it starts over. Nurses on staff?? hahaha try CNAs if youre lucky. Is Master-Cylinder Master-Cylinder there scrubbing toilets? hell no... its filthy.
How does one find the state-run facility in the area you live?
I'm guessing investing in social security since I was a kid, won't get me a bump in luxuries.
I'd need to have an extra-bad-assed retirement income + shit tons of savings to get a non-state run home.

DungBeatle

why did you have to find out about your parents?? Did they not have a phone?
My father was sent to the hospital after he had suffered a fall and subsequent brain injury. My mother called my brother asking for help but he hung up on her. My brother then called me and told me how much he hated our mother and would never see her again until she was in her grave (his words). We were not a close family. My mother being an alcoholic and all. I still won't speak to my brother and probably never will. So I drove straight to my parent's house and took care of them, then moved them up here. My mother would never have called me, she wanted her beloved eldest son to come to her rescue.

ysr_racer

12 gauge matzo ball shooter
Don't worry, I'll take care of snail :)

Terry_Schiavo

Moderately Banned
I still won't speak to my brother and probably never will. So I drove straight to their house and took care of them, then moved them up here. My mother would never have called me, she wanted her beloved eldest son to come to her rescue.
understood. My mother has made some choices I dont agree with because she is incapable of making adult decisions or her own money. She was still making excuses when I met her with 5 kids besides me. Some folks hit the lottery with parents and others keep coming up snake eyes...lol. I was on my own too long to ever feel any obligation. They made their choices first. All products of their environment. Poor money mgmt and life skills

ysr_racer

12 gauge matzo ball shooter
It's funny reading about people caring about cars and lawn tractors. If that's the most valuable thing you're leaving behind, you made some mistakes in your life.

All the shit in my house, including my guns are about 5% of what I'm worth. If that.

The real money is in real estate and index funds. And that's all tied up in a trust.

Wretch

amazingly graceful
I'll end up in a veteran's home, if I didn't do my job well enough with my youngest.

My eldest would give no fucks because of the poison she was fed and still believes.

I'm taking care of two people right now and sometimes three.

I expect the third one will exit this mortal coil before the other two, who are forty and thirty years older.

Family is supposed to take care of their elders but, that doesn't or can't always happen.

I've been as much help as I could be, up to the end, for five family members so far.

"Let your conscience be your guide"

Weed

BAM
When my mother died in January, one of the neighbors went after her car (a three-year-old Altima in perfect condition with fewer than 10K old-lady miles on it) by offering my dad practically nothing for it when he wasn't in any condition (at the time- he's actually OK mentally, but it was a bad time for him, obviously) to deal with it and was ready to say 'Yes' just to get them to leave him alone- I put a quick stop to that shit.
It doesn't take long for the vultures to circle

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
I get seasick in the Fred Hall parking lot, no thanks :)
go wear your MAGA hat in Downtown LA. If you do it right you might get to take a couple of people with you. And before you think you don't wanna take them to heaven, don't kid your self. That guy Jesus who parked your car and you stiffed on the tip...well....

Terry_Schiavo

Moderately Banned
... when he wasn't in any condition (at the time- he's actually OK mentally, but it was a bad time for him, obviously) to deal with it and was ready to say 'Yes' just to get them to leave him alone- I put a quick stop to that shit.
at least it wasnt blood related family. I had an aunt that duped my other dying aunt into signing a power of attorney for her worldly possessions. Which she promptly distributed to her kids... but my aunt that passed had a daughter who has her will. Probate :rolleyes:

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
last time I had to look into this when you're entire net worth drops below 2k medicaid will cover long term assisted living. That means everything you have in cash and assets. They'll try to keep you from starving or freezing to death. You might be able to watch TV in a large group setting but you're not getting the remote. Think about it this way, the part of government that runs the worse....thats where you're going.

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
I think gobrian laid out a really good argument for south east Asia including the Philippines as a place where you can go as an Expat and live well on a tiny fraction of cash. If you're really getting serious about shit like this moving out of the US should be on the table.

DungBeatle

It's funny reading about people caring about cars and lawn tractors. If that's the most valuable thing you're leaving behind, you made some mistakes in your life.
I didn't care about the chattel they stole. I cared that they were buzzards.

Can't really say prior to entering the system, but if you end up in the hospital, they do a pretty good job of figuring out where you're coming from and where you'll need to go if it ain't home. If your mental faculties aren't there and there's no one home to discharge you to, they'll ship you off to a long term care facility. Not unusual for hospitals to file paperwork to be given conservatorship in events where there's no "home", usually younger folks with disabilities - not unusual to have patients be a resident on a floor for 6-12 months.

Terry_Schiavo

Moderately Banned
you still get to vote, they'll even fill it out for you
they make the freaks work every halloween though... still have flashbacks of having to go inside. Someone shit on the floor and then there was the curious george that was eating pillow down...haha

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
last time I had to look into this when you're entire net worth drops below 2k medicaid will cover long term assisted living. That means everything you have in cash and assets.
btw, if you think you're gonna just give all your shit away to your family think again. I think they can go back 7 years even in an irrevocable trust.

Top Bottom