What can you get out of a Ford 300 inline 6?

rumble phish

BAMF+
No internal mods, just off-the-shelf bolt on's. Exhaust, intake/carb, ignition, roller rockers. Everything can be done in your driveway, without pulling the motor. This is a fun couple of videos. No uber-horsepower, big money builds. Just real-world, shade tree mechanic shit. If you like old school engines, you should enjoy these two videos.

Terry_Schiavo

Moderately Banned
fag videos

those guys had a fun job building motors all day. Would have loved to see their parts room.

Last edited:
I used to work at a nursery that had F-250 4X4 trucks. Part of the land was quicksand and that crap would go through any air filter, it was so fine. The 300 sixes would last about twice as long as the 351M's. They'd smoke like crazy but still start and run. Only one we ever had a major breakdown on was one that overheated and cracked the #6 cylinder wall. Never had one toss a rod.

WarpSpeed

BAMF+
I remember going with my dad when he test drove E150 passenger vans in 1980. One had the 300, the other had the 351W. I still remember him saying right off of a light, the 300 pulled just as well but the 351W had a bit more on the freeway when you hit "passing gear".

Stetson

BAMF
My Dad had two Broncos in a row with the 300. I think '85 and '88. The '85 was an XL, 3 speed auto with 4.10 gears and was good for a comfortable 50 mph. Best plow truck ever. The later one was an Eddie Bauer with fuel injection and an AOD. It was a much more comfortable plow truck. I don't remember either of them, in the context of time, hurting for power.

JustTom

BAM
I bought a new 1993 F 150 4X4 with the 300 and 5 speed manual.
It had Lear fiberglass cap..
Empty, it would run 105, easily, on the flat.

On a slight downhill, with a tailwind, I hit a rev limiter at about 109. :frEEk:
Scared the shit out of me! I had no idea they put governors on new trucks.
I thought I blew the motor on a truck with 5k miles on it!
It shut off like I ran out of gas. That brick slowed down fast.

I thought I maybe ran a tank dry, as I started switching tanks, it came back to life at about 90.
After that, I kept it under 107.😂

Bandit Man

BAMF
I bought a new 1993 F 150 4X4 with the 300 and 5 speed manual.
It had Lear fiberglass cap..
Empty, it would run 105, easily, on the flat.

On a slight downhill, with a tailwind, I hit a rev limiter at about 109. :frEEk:
Scared the shit out of me! I had no idea they put governors on new trucks.
I thought I blew the motor on a truck with 5k miles on it!
It shut off like I ran out of gas. That brick slowed down fast.

I thought I maybe ran a tank dry, as I started switching tanks, it came back to life at about 90.
After that, I kept it under 107.😂
They usually limit the speed to what the tires are rated for

Vegas12

BAMF+
made more torque and at lower rpm than the 351

Nah...

Made its peak torque at a lower RPM....but it was down quite a bit number wise.

Couldn't stand the turd....leased an EFI eddie Murphy model with 5 speed and 3.55's.....$199 a month for 24 months.

POS would struggle pulling 2 sea doos up the grapevine. Couldn't turn in the lease fast enough.

Replaced it with a lifestyle F-150 with 351....no comparison.

BusaVeloce

Cappo di tutti Cappo
Website
www.infowars.com
Nah...

Made its peak torque at a lower RPM....but it was down quite a bit number wise.

Couldn't stand the turd....leased an EFI eddie Murphy model with 5 speed and 3.55's.....$199 a month for 24 months.

POS would struggle pulling 2 sea doos up the grapevine. Couldn't turn in the lease fast enough.

Replaced it with a lifestyle F-150 with 351....no comparison.
LOL

the Eddie Murphy model...?

Team222

BAMF
My 76 F 250 came with a 360 smog motor, good torques but lousy gas mileage. I put in a 300 6 cyl, 4 speed on the floor with an overdrive and ran with that drivetrain for years, a fantastic engine and trans combo. Did a frame off restoration and dropped in a 390 with 428 police interceptor heads and intake, still has that combo in it.IMG_0657.JPG

chuck356

BAMF
I have owned a couple of the older 240's and 2 of it's newer brother the 300 sixes, I'm not so sure the 240 wasn't just as good. I had a '67 Econoline pickup with the 240, it would haul 2 streetbikes, 2 people, tools, gas, etc to the dragstrip and get 20mpg. Never had any issues with 4 different ones I owned.

LE05BUSA

GFY
They used to cut 3 - 351C 4V heads apart and furnace braze them back together for drag 300's. The Comp Eliminator car that I posted above has the $10k Alan Johnson billet head on it, which is basically a C3 Robert Yates Winston Cup head made for a 6 cylinder. Pretty slick.

Your Car Is Slow

HOLYBAMF
agreed, never would have guessed adding the intake and 4bb would nearly double the hp....not that going from 160 hp is earth shattering, but when you start at 80!

bet those offenhauser intakes shoot up in price!

chuck356

BAMF
agreed, never would have guessed adding the intake and 4bb would nearly double the hp....not that going from 160 hp is earth shattering, but when you start at 80!

bet those offenhauser intakes shoot up in price!
Low performance engines are so easy to modify and a get big power increases as none of the common performance tricks have been done yet. Like Harley's.

OP
rumble phish

rumble phish

BAMF+
The old AMC 258 cu. Inch straight six is another damn fine motor :up:

BMW makes a helluva straight six as well.

Austin_F

BAMF+
had an 81 f250 with that engine, and a manuél.

Used to haul so much corn to the mill it looked like a picture from Thailand. The suspension and brakes didn't care for it but the engine didn't even notice.

DavidDole

BAMF+
Wonder what those 300's average getting volumetric effiency wise? 50%? Looks like the intake made the most noticeable improvement in power with it helping the most with mechanical asthma

Wretch

amazingly graceful
Internal coatings, flow bench work for the head with some intake and valve modification along with modern electronics too.

What was the saying about speed/power being a matter of money?

An intake and headers makes quite a bit of difference on a stock Slant too, but a little headwork and bigger valves really wake it up. The one in my Valiant is still a pump gas motor, but has made around 250 horse by the Wallace calculators. It is a stock cast crank, stock rods, stock cast pistons, and the head and block milled to get 10:1. I shift at 6300. It makes a lot of noise anyway.

Your Car Is Slow

HOLYBAMF
well i mean its cool and all..and sometimes you just do whatever the fuck you wanna do....

but that seems like a metric fuckton of unecessary and expensive work for the power it produces (back to the harley reference)

Top Bottom