Welding Info

Your Car Is Slow

HOLYBAMF
id considered a spool gun in the past, but id always heard trying to do anything with aluminum with one of those was pretty painful. not really able to get the tight/looks/etc on smaller items like stainless exhaust or radiators. probably great on boat trailers though!

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
id considered a spool gun in the past, but id always heard trying to do anything with aluminum with one of those was pretty painful. not really able to get the tight/looks/etc on smaller items like stainless exhaust or radiators. probably great on boat trailers though!
Spool gun is not for small stuff, need a TIG for good looking small stuff. I got this one from a friend who built those big ass outdoor signs. I used it to build the awning frame for The Mighty Fuso and a bunch of aluminum boxes. These boxes are made from .090 and .060 aluminum. Ain't real pretty, but held up to a decade of race track use.
I don't have the most steady hand.

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
if you're only requirement is stick welding 1/4" steel outside it's pretty hard to go wrong. Pretty basic stuff. I still like 6011 or 6010 rods for "farmer" type welding like that. You could go to a 7018 but unless you're more versed you might have a hard time keeping the arc going.

You could probably find an old buzz box on Craigs list for under $100. The welding machine is not what makes a good stick weld.

I started out doing stick, then gas. I used to weld the fuck out of shit with a torch and coat hangers, especially exhaust pipe stuff.

My last job they did everything with a mig, so I taught myself that.

Now I work in a food plant and everything is stainless so I learned to TIG. Some days I can do pretty good, others I suck. Worst part now is I can't see shit.

Top Bottom