Welding Info

RollieFree

BAMF
I'm sure many of you have seen this site. For those of you who have not, I highly recommend looking at it if you are interested in welding. Jody has done a good job of setting up for great camera shots, good, useful information and there are loads of videos on his site for stick, MIG and TIG. He doesn't go much into the science of welding and I don't recall seeing him doing any flame welding. He specializes in practical methods, materials, gear and machine info and all around good useful information. It is certainly a place where all of us can learn something. You can sign up to get the new vids as they come out. He usually does one a week and keeps them to 10-15 minutes, so it never gets boring or goes off into space.

If you are new to welding, this is an absolute gold mine. I hope you enjoy it.

RF

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
have enjoyed watching Jody's channel for a few years now. Good stuff. I also buy from his online store. I was wearing one of his t shirts last year (or 2 years ago?) when someone took offense, they thought I was a white supremacist maybe. Says "knock it out" on the back, guy in a kkk mask (welding hood), holding a weapon (tig torch) lol

I also check out weld.com's channel and 6160.com. the later doesn't really teach as much as its just a pleasure to watch his project progression.

lots of review stuff which for me is good as I'm not welding every day anymore. Did some TIG a couple days ago, mild steel exhaust so nothing remotely fancy and it just had to be strong not pretty (lucky for me).

Your Car Is Slow

HOLYBAMF
go pick up a flux core welder from harbor freight....the titanium one is under 175 bucks and about the size of a loaf of bread...runs off 110 (and likely your honduh generators!).

itll weld that thin steel tube just fine...and you dont have to fiddle with gas!

or come over one day and ill let you weld some together with a flux core and a regular mig...see which one you prefer!

Your Car Is Slow

HOLYBAMF
eh, nearly twice the penetration of regular mig for the same power...and the portability to enact repairs outdoors/on site with little to no prep or grinding! fuck your rusty edges or paint!

the benefits outweigh the negatives for sure!

I had a buddy come over for garage night a few months back who only ever learned TIG...uses it for everything...makes nice pretty welds etc. Showed him the flux core welder and he laughed at it...then ran a bead on a scrap piece of angle iron just for grins.

he made the comment that in the time it took him to weld, hed still be putting the tungsten in his drill bit to sharpen it...much less fiddle with the settings to make the tig weld pretty. I think he was a fan of the convenience and simplicity more than anything.

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
eh, nearly twice the penetration of regular mig for the same power...and the portability to enact repairs outdoors/on site with little to no prep or grinding! fuck your rusty edges or paint!

the benefits outweigh the negatives for sure!
twice the penetration...Because you switch polarity for MIG when you're running flux core...?

Bandit Man

BAMF
If your welding outside stick is most likely the way to go. If you dont have a stick welder then flux core is second best because it makes its own shielding gas.Without a tent tig is usually not an option.

I have found that Flux does have more penetration but a lot more splatter. Use the spray if its an issue. Also if you are using weld through primer then flux is better.

You can get a spool gun to stick aluminium together with the mig machines.

Flames are a dying art.

OP
RollieFree

RollieFree

BAMF
I use mostly TIG and do mostly aluminum, inconel, Ti, stainless and a little steel. I am not a MIG hater but only use it to build a table or something like that. It is much faster. Never used stick, or flux core wire. It just doesn't apply to what I do. I use flame exclusively for thin aluminum sheet / shapes. It is much stronger and creates less distortion and brittleness than anything else. I saw an old aluminum belly tank with an aluminum neck that had a steel threaded end. It was aluminum brazed to steel. I had no idea that was possible. So much info about fluxes and fillers has been lost since TIG came along. I dig doing it old school when it is a better application. I have been going for the past couple summers to this cat's place for a week of learning. Learned a lot. Check out the integrity of the flame weld.
RF

Wretch

amazingly graceful
The last welder I depended on for my critical and difficult jobs was so awesome, he could weld a fly to glass.
Did a bunch of work on Nuclear Power Plants and a few odd jobs for some NASCAR teams and built some pretty cool work rigs.

The most impressive thing I had him do was welding up and old International Harvester dump truck cast iron exhaust manifold...
...because there were no replacements to be found.
Everyone else I asked about welding it up told me it couldn't be done.

He broke out a high Nickle stick and repaired the hell out of it.
Likely still in use today.

The guy was/is? genius with fire and metal.

The duty cycle on those cheap 110 volt welders will piss you off if you have a job that requires more than 30 seconds of welding. Plus they just aren't that hot, easily damaged if you ignore such duty cycle.

Night and day difference between my weld quality with my Century vs. a decent welder that cost about 5 times as much.

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
I use mostly TIG and do mostly aluminum, inconel, Ti, stainless and a little steel. I am not a MIG hater but only use it to build a table or something like that. It is much faster. Never used stick, or flux core wire. It just doesn't apply to what I do. I use flame exclusively for thin aluminum sheet / shapes. It is much stronger and creates less distortion and brittleness than anything else. I saw an old aluminum belly tank with an aluminum neck that had a steel threaded end. It was aluminum brazed to steel. I had no idea that was possible. So much info about fluxes and fillers has been lost since TIG came along. I dig doing it old school when it is a better application. I have been going for the past couple summers to this cat's place for a week of learning. Learned a lot. Check out the integrity of the flame weld.
RF
I knew a guy in Phoenix who gas welded aluminum tanks. Always wanted to learn. The most beautiful work I ever saw for aluminum .050 I think

Your Car Is Slow

HOLYBAMF
The duty cycle on those cheap 110 volt welders will piss you off if you have a job that requires more than 30 seconds of welding. Plus they just aren't that hot, easily damaged if you ignore such duty cycle.

Night and day difference between my weld quality with my Century vs. a decent welder that cost about 5 times as much.
guess as a home hobbyist ive never encountered a need to run a line longer than the 30sec limit. for the thin metal most folks work with at home, that would put so much heat into whatever you were working with it'd warp horribly!

so much for my jetboat dreams!

guess as a home hobbyist ive never encountered a need to run a line longer than the 30sec limit. for the thin metal most folks work with at home, that would put so much heat into whatever you were working with it'd warp horribly!

so much for my jetboat dreams!
They usually have a 20% duty cycle. 2 minutes on 8 minutes off. I tried to put a rollcage in a car with one, pain in the ass.

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
They usually have a 20% duty cycle. 2 minutes on 8 minutes off. I tried to put a rollcage in a car with one, pain in the ass.
that scares me a little.

I had one of those little century's years ago. Convient yes, maybe if you're doing body work. I gave it away.

Your Car Is Slow

HOLYBAMF
2min if you are running it set on crunk perhaps?

i cant think of anything ive even used the highest (or even 2nd highest) heat settings for (lincoln 110mig unit). I might have used the 2nd highest when welding on my spring perches to an axle...they were 1/4"

WarpSpeed

BAMF+
Literally a no-name welder (no brand name anywhere inside or out) that was a freebie We got it going including bottle feeding and that little shit could throw down on up to 3/16" mild steel on a single pass. Duty cycle was like 20 seconds so everyone hated it, opting to use the Miller 250's. I did some repair on my old Tahoe using this little shit box and everything held for years!

that scares me a little.

I had one of those little century's years ago. Convient yes, maybe if you're doing body work. I gave it away.
The gun is probably the worst part about it, honestly.
I trust it on the thick shit up to 3/8 or so with proper prep. 1/8" and above seems to be where potential magic can happen. Everything needs to be perfect and you can lay a quality bead. Thin shit it's like a bubble gum dispenser. I think .028 is the smallest wire you can use, and I do use shielding gas with mine.

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
One huge tip here:

If you are welding on a vehicle, Disconnect the battery and keep the clamp as close to the area you are welding as possible. I have seen some electronic gizmos go when they share a ground with the welder.
RF
Back in the day, you didn't get an arc/tig/mig welder anywhere near an olde Kawasaki triple with electronic ignition. At least that's what they told be back then.

Terry_Schiavo

Moderately Banned
Literally a no-name welder (no brand name anywhere inside or out) that was a freebie We got it going including bottle feeding and that little shit could throw down on up to 3/16" mild steel on a single pass. Duty cycle was like 20 seconds so everyone hated it, opting to use the Miller 250's. I did some repair on my old Tahoe using this little shit box and everything held for years!
did you weld steel to aluminum?? My uncle did... 5x!! :D

This shop I worked at guys welded stainless to aluminum using alumiclad metal. Very thin metal... stainless on one side, aluminum on the other. They were bad ass welders and their stuff had to pass vacuum testing, which is way more difficult than holding pressure for some reason.

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
sounds more like a brazing process. I think a silicone bronze would handle a job like that....as brazing anyway. You can't actually "weld" aluminum to steel. One of the challenges is the aluminum is going to move around a lot different then the steel does thermal expansion wise as well as heat migration.

OP
RollieFree

RollieFree

BAMF
Had a 1 day class on explosion welding. We welded copper to aluminum sheets to jet into shapes for the batteries in our land speed car.
RF

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
Had a 1 day class on explosion welding. We welded copper to aluminum sheets to jet into shapes for the batteries in our land speed car.
RF
cool stuff. Watched a video on it a couple years ago. not something I'm ever gonna do in my shop

Master-Cylinder

I used to do a good bit of gas welding in the olde days. Lots of brazing too. I just brazed something a couple weeks ago, but don't recall what it was.:red:
I did fix a broken gear tooth my mill by brazing and filing. It is still working.
Had a Harris framed TZ250G that was all brazed together out of Reynolds 531 tubing. Beautiful birdcage type frame. All the tubes were connected with air holes, so you could pressure test the frame to check for cracks.
Pig Knuckle (Gregg Esser BMX Champ from days of yore) welded a soda can together, the thin part in the center, not the the ends. He was building BMX frames at the tyme. Eight plus hours a day Tig welding, day after day after day. He still has a fab, shop making car parts like A arms and stuff.

nomad

BAMF

How to pick a decent welder - cant afford 100% duty cycle for a device that gets used a few times a year

Bandit Man

BAMF
is gas welding as fast or as predictable as stick?
Two different animals. Stick is good for heavier materials like in structures, frames, trailers and shit like that. Stick is also great for outdoor welding where there might be a little bit of a breeze since it makes its own gas bubble around the puddle.

Gas welding can be used for heavier stuff but requires some speciality equipment. Its mostly used for lighter jobs. Most of the time the most go to reason is to use for cutting, brazing.

I started out with flames. On the ranch was handy. I also had a stick welder mounted on tractor with a generator for welding up stuff in the field.

Mig is handy but requies a gas source where Flux does not need it.the cheap harbor freight 110 welders ar pretty minimal. I had one to just spot weld stuff together and when I had a bunch of stuff to finish weld I rented a much bigger unit that was self contained with a gennie because my house does not have enough power to run a welder much more than the 125 amp cheepie. Mpst electric welders dont like extention cords so if yo do have to use one a quality 10g is a minimum.

How to pick a decent welder - cant afford 100% duty cycle for a device that gets used a few times a year
Buy used miller. Of course they are doing more with less these days. Guy brought his little 110 Miller buzz box into the shop to do some frame welding. It had a strap on it you could wear it like a purse. Blew away any Harbor Freight shit you could buy.

There was no Harbor Freight back in the 90s when I bought my Century welder. After I procured the tank I believe I have about $400 in that welder. Guess it's a good thing it still works.

Bandit Man

BAMF
With stick and flux core the material does not have to be as clean as when flame, mig and Tig.
The biggest thing I see beginners doing is not getting a good fit of the joints and trying to bridge the gap with weld. Thats when they become grinders rather than welders

Your Car Is Slow

HOLYBAMF
tons of folks saying the vulcan line at harbor freight is a straight up copy of a lincoln/miller setup....at a fraction of the price.

those things get crazy good reviews, especially for a home hobbyist.

I believe if the power level is on a variable switch instead of 1,2,3,4 you get a better welder that you can really fine tune. It is a balance of wire speed and amperage applied so the more adjustment the better.

And hopefully they don't skimp too much on the gun. Trigger start is nice compared to a hot wire, less accidental arc flashes.

None of this stuff I have on mine.

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
I believe if the power level is on a variable switch instead of 1,2,3,4 you get a better welder that you can really fine tune. It is a balance of wire speed and amperage applied so the more adjustment the better.

And hopefully they don't skimp too much on the gun. Trigger start is nice compared to a hot wire, less accidental arc flashes.

hot wire start....with MIG?

Bandit Man

BAMF

I have never heard of that always hot wire on a MIG. That must be much older than the first ones I ever messed with.

hot wire start....with MIG?
Yes but why they are that way I don't know. Does it keep a guy down that's really good with a mig, probably not? He probably doesn't even notice.
Is it another cheap welder woe...of course.
Is it good to learn on? Well you get good at cleaning tips, of course the hobby sized nozzle clogs easier too. A weld with lack of shielding gas issues is obvious.

I've used flux core wire with it before too, I guess that takes some of the headache away.

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
if you're welding along you just pull the wire up really fast and make a mad break for to off switch before you kill someone?

how do you stop?
Same way with any welder, let off the trigger and it stops advancing wire and breaks the circuit. It will burn back to the tip usually. If you are lucky it won't be stuck to the tip and you can go on. With gas you shouldn't pull back the second you are done with the weld, supposed to keep the gas on it for a second or so. Another headache that just using flux core would solve.

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
Same way with any welder, let off the trigger and it stops advancing wire and breaks the circuit. It will burn back to the tip usually. If you are lucky it won't be stuck to the tip and you can go on. With gas you shouldn't pull back the second you are done with the weld, supposed to keep the gas on it for a second or so. Another headache that just using flux core would solve.
wouldn't the trigger start the weld too then?

Master-Cylinder

Nice thing aboot my Miller Spool Mate 200 welder is that I can easily change the wire to aluminum, hook up the other gas bottle and start ruining aluminum bits.

Top Bottom