water heaters - stainless worth it?

Your Car Is Slow

HOLYBAMF
So its time to replace the water heaters in the house consolidating 2 into 1.

I see they now offer stainless steel tanks these days with a lifetime tank warranty (although parts are still only 6y).

not terribly concerned with the energy savings as our electric bill is already very low, so longevity and reliability as well as the ability to not run out after the 2nd person takes a shower are more important.

I guess now some sort of code says that anything above 55g in a residential application has to be the new hybrid systems which are absurdly expensive. Plumber does say they can install "commercial" 80 to 105g traditional systems though as if its no big deal. downside to the hybrid system is you have to run a condensation line to the outside of the house..which would be somewhat annoying but not a deal breaker.

havent had to swap out a water heater in 15 years or so, figured id see what is worth knowing before spending a few grand!

Thanks....... sometimes that sacrificial anode rod makes your water stinky, and it's not worth changing.
My water heater is about 6 years old and already shit.

Stainless tank sounds like a winner to me, I can keep the electric parts working. Until I see the price I suppose. $$$

zxfan

BAM
If you plan on keeping the house for 20 more years which would probably cover the life expectancy of most of the board members here I would go ahead and do it.
If you go with a conventional water heater you very well might have to do a replacement again in 10 to 15 years.

Austin_F

BAMF+
People are still on the fence with on demand heaters for some reason.

Until you get one. Then if you're like me and my brothers and several of my friends, you'll never get a tank again.

llord2

BAM
Fuck yea....where I'm going when our HW tanks shit the bed. We actually have two....thinking original builder wanted to ensure hot water no matter how many teenagers taking 40 minute showers. It is a big house though.

Tankless are perfect for Florida, not so great in Indiana when that ground temperature gets below freezing.

Which leads to people having to buy two and run them in series, or slow down the water flow.... which are both suck ass crutches.

OP
Your Car Is Slow

Your Car Is Slow

HOLYBAMF
if i had propane Id certainly go tankless.

the heat pump hybrids are also an option, but are even more expensive than the SS ones. my electric bill is not even 200/mo and thats with the AC on crunk in dead summer. So while im sure all these options are certainly more efficient...saving 20 bucks a month would take quite a while to pay for itself...and im not a huge fan of adding more expensive working/moving parts to an item that only has a 6 year warranty.

Austin_F

BAMF+
Tankless are perfect for Florida, not so great in Indiana when that ground temperature gets below freezing.

Which leads to people having to buy two and run them in series, or slow down the water flow.... which are both suck ass crutches.
i had water coming out the tap at 35-36 degrees. a 10gpm heater has no trouble running 2 showers.

BigGar

high on placebo
My first tankless lasted about 12 years or so. Replaced it last year with a little smaller one as the old one was major overkill anyway. I was going to go with the newer, more efficient generation ones but the whole condensation line issue as well as changing out a whole lot more plumbing and such was a deal breaker. I just bought the same brand with nearly the same hookups and chimney setup.

OP
Your Car Is Slow

Your Car Is Slow

HOLYBAMF
yea, they said running the condensation line added a ton to it given mine is in a section of the garage nowhere near an external wall.

everything ive read on the electric tankless is that they are really quite hit or miss....whereas the gas tankless ones are fantastic.

im pretty sure all water heaters these days have "lifetime warranties"...on the TANKS. nowhere near that on the actual parts that fail inside it.

Austin_F

BAMF+
I was fortunate, my tankless is right next to my newer furnace which also has a drain line, and there is a drain on the floor right next to it.

I just attached a hose to the condensate port and ran the hose to the drain.

I can see other installs being a pain though.

tinhead

Has never named a pet
We had to move the bigass electric water heater when we re-did the laundry room a couple years ago. Disconnect and drain to move it, replaced the more than half gone anode rod. There's no reason it won't go another 10 years. We've never run out of hot water.

Austin_F

BAMF+
We had a 4 day power outage a few weeks back after a large storm.

I went and got one of those UPS supplies for computers and plugged the gas tankless into it.

We had taken 4 five minute showers with it when the power came back on.

We then continued doing that just to see how many showers we would get if the power was out longer, we got a total of 8 showers from the UPS.

After every shower I would go in the basement and unplug the heater to get as much time out of the battery as I could. After the 8th shower I forgot and left it on so who knows I may have gotten a couple more.

The nice thing is, the electrics don't care how much gas is burning or water is flowing. It uses the same electricity whether you are running one shower or 2 showers and a 3rd person washing dishes as fast as they can.

It's pretty uncommon to find people who had a good tankless and went back to a tank. Like Gar, when the first one dies they get another one.

NORTY

BAMF
40 gallon tank began leaking 2 years ago. The leak is getting worse. The tank is from 1987. Can't understand how Covid killed it.
Might have to replace it with a 50 gal tank, so I can run the dish washer, both showers and the hot tub, simultaneously. Oh yeah, the laundry too.

OP
Your Car Is Slow

Your Car Is Slow

HOLYBAMF
We had a 4 day power outage a few weeks back after a large storm.

I went and got one of those UPS supplies for computers and plugged the gas tankless into it.

We had taken 4 five minute showers with it when the power came back on.

We then continued doing that just to see how many showers we would get if the power was out longer, we got a total of 8 showers from the UPS.

After every shower I would go in the basement and unplug the heater to get as much time out of the battery as I could. After the 8th shower I forgot and left it on so who knows I may have gotten a couple more.

The nice thing is, the electrics don't care how much gas is burning or water is flowing. It uses the same electricity whether you are running one shower or 2 showers and a 3rd person washing dishes as fast as they can.

It's pretty uncommon to find people who had a good tankless and went back to a tank. Like Gar, when the first one dies they get another one.
that is interesting, the ones I have looked at require 60 to 80amps worth of breakers...which would lead me to believe there is no way a ups or a regular home generator is going to power something like that during an outage.

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
that is interesting, the ones I have looked at require 60 to 80amps worth of breakers...which would lead me to believe there is no way a ups or a regular home generator is going to power something like that during an outage.
I'm assuming his is gas fired. So, it would just need to pop open a couple valves and light the fire.

sailUSVI

Tripping on the road and buying stuff
I’ve replaced more water heaters than I can count, gas and electric, although electric were the majority. What killed the stuff here in central Texas is hard water, calcium build up...it shorts out the lower heat element, reduces water flow, plugs up, loses what little efficiency they have.
IMHO

Z

BAMF+
Dey sell,, acid flush kits (includin pump n' hoses,) for tankless cleanin,, :ducmanic:

''every few years'' Did mine afta 6 1/2 ,,, :red:

fer da first,,,,,,,,,, time. :confused2:

bowtie

BAMF+
Website
www.premierdesigns4u.com
yea, they said running the condensation line added a ton to it given mine is in a section of the garage nowhere near an external wall.

everything ive read on the electric tankless is that they are really quite hit or miss....whereas the gas tankless ones are fantastic.

im pretty sure all water heaters these days have "lifetime warranties"...on the TANKS. nowhere near that on the actual parts that fail inside it.
Lifetime warranty on exchangers and electronics.

More creative plumbing would be to have several point of use electric units on sinks, and a not so huge one on the showers and washing machine.

Otherwise Ecosmart is one of the best electric units, but the power consumption is mad on their whole house heaters, because they require 3 circuits where inferior units only require two.

OP
Your Car Is Slow

Your Car Is Slow

HOLYBAMF
If im reading it correctly, the 3 separate circuits are for 3 separate heating elements/chambers...and the only kick in in stages based on usage/temperature settings. ie they dont all come on or off like the cheaper models do, but instead have some sort of logic or circuitry that brings them online in stages to keep the water flowing at an appropriate level at the desired temperature etc.

so yea, the 24 model I was looking at uses 3 40amp circuits....but id imagine just turning on the hot water faucet at the sink will only require one to kick in etc....and it would only use number 2 or number 3 if multiple folks were taking showers...and the washing machine/dishwasher was running etc.

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
It takes around three minutes for the hot water to make it to the shower from the water heater in the garage. If I had two of them, one for the south end of the house, and one for the north end, that would be the set up.
I could also get away with a solar water heater...most of the tyme. I'd need probably 75~100 gallon super insulated tank to store the hot water because the solar isn't going to work well at night or morning.

OP
Your Car Is Slow

Your Car Is Slow

HOLYBAMF
it seems to be what is touted in their literature/features list for the larger units anyway.

In all my research that seemed to really be the defining factor in the difference in price....both in how much water it could heat at a certain flow rate....and if it could modulate the heating elements based on demand, or if it was simply on or off etc. the latter of which was apparently really not good for electronics/etc given the amount of power these things draw.

which model is yours? im looking at the 24 or 27 unit as it would be replacing both water heaters in the house (3 full bath, kitchen/dishwasher/washing machine). daughter is only 3 now, but id imagine she will take +/- 40 showers a day like her mother does eventually.

zxfan

BAM
Just had a customer inquire about a wifi-connected water heater today. Probably going to be installing it tomorrow.

Home Depot sells a Rheem Gladiator water heater that seems like a pretty good deal.
50 gallon, 5500 watt elements, wifi-connected with tons of features through the app , automatically senses if it's leaking or not, automatic shut off for the water supply if it senses that leak and a 12-year guarantee on tank leakage. All for 599 plus tax.

My price on a 50 gallon regular Electric 4500 watt heater with none of those other features is around $350 through my supply house. Those only come with a standard 6 year guarantee.

I think I'm going to try to start up selling to this feature loaded water heater if my supplier can beat Home Depot's price.

OP
Your Car Is Slow

Your Car Is Slow

HOLYBAMF
Just had a customer inquire about a wifi-connected water heater today. Probably going to be installing it tomorrow.

Home Depot sells a Rheem Gladiator water heater that seems like a pretty good deal.
50 gallon, 5500 watt elements, wifi-connected with tons of features through the app , automatically senses if it's leaking or not, automatic shut off for the water supply if it senses that leak and a 12-year guarantee on tank leakage. All for 599 plus tax.

My price on a 50 gallon regular Electric 4500 watt heater with none of those other features is around $350 through my supply house. Those only come with a standard 6 year guarantee.

I think I'm going to try to start up selling to this feature loaded water heater if my supplier can beat Home Depot's price.
yea my original search started on the rheem gladiators...the plumber that came out to give me a quote didnt specify what kind of "rheem" he would be installing so i started this research project. it certainly seemed like a nice upgrade to the standard 300-400 models.

sadly he hasnt responded to any of my phone calls or emails in the past week...so ill likely look for another plumber instead.

Z

BAMF+
I think you're gonna find out. Aren't they slowly outlawing natural gas?

:wink2: ONLY,,,, in da,,,, whack :wacko3: job ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,states..

The California Energy Commission cleared the way Wednesday for six local governments to limit the use of natural gas in many new buildings. The policies, which encourage the installation of all-electric appliances, are scheduled to take effect in January.Dec 11, 2019

Top Bottom