W T F DOG FOOD !?!

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
Some of the foods I tried are on this list..

What i found in the dry food world is there is no perfect food..

Each and every one I have tried has an issue of some sort.

Weather it be too much stool, soft stools, coat turning to crap, bile throw up in mornings, low performance, weight gain from same daily feeding, to food he simply would est even with steak and gravy mixed in.. there is no one dry food out there.

Here the biggest issue.. a small company (orjen for example) comes to market with a great premium food.. they slowly grow and distibution goes country wide. A conglomerate company swoops in and buys them.. the formular changes and after a bag or two your once excellent food shows one or more of the issues I stated above..all in the name of making a cheaper food to a broader market.

I'm currently on Zigniture.. which is on the list. I also mix the dry with Evengers wet..

My dog is now 11 and 3/4 and in decent shape and about 12pounds over weight.. he slow compared to his youth where he was one of the fastest dogs I have owned.. his endurance is about 80% of his youth.. but he is happy just being a dog these days..Suri still give him a sleeve or a scent trail every few days but only because he enjoys the work out.

I'm coming off zigniture in a few weeks to try something else... propblem is I have not found a food I am 100%with.

The foods I will not feed is long ..once you read ingredients and percentage levels on the bags it's easy to walk out of the big chain food store with no food.

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
Making our own food is no guarentee your doing things right.. as most human grade food is killing us just as fast as the pet food grade food is killing our dogs.

Wretch

amazingly graceful
I was mixing buttered/salted rice in with a smaller portion for Todo and he loved it and the casts he was throwing would clear up.
Little fucker would bark from the kitchen and when I would walk in;
he'd be sitting there facing the stove staring intently.
He knew what he wanted.
Make Me some Rice, Fucker!
The Merrick grain free I settled on, after trying Halo.
Both firmed up his turds enough to express his scent glands the way they were supposed to but, he didn't like the Halo as much as the Merrick.

One of the few dogs I've had that would eat some of his food and save the rest for later, no matter how much less I'd put in his bowl.

scottcolbath

BAMF+
OP
OP
Zippy

Zippy

pinhead
Earth or possibly another planet, also Dingburg
...I make special food too when I can, as outlined before, but thought the Zigniture would be ok to use as a base instead of something like rice...

...I had them off any "dog food" for a while when they got sick once...

...they seem to be doing well on the Zigniture too...

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
...did those links work...???...
The link worked..

I was over in Slovakia picking up my current dog.. I watched as the breeder finished slaughtering a goat and tossed the carcass to the mother dog she took her share and had her puppies (7 weeks) trying to feed between the carcass and her nipples. They where transitioning well to real food.

He said the reason America has so many vetenarians is directly in the food we feed our dogs here. He said this is how they would be eating if they where not pets or stores or comfortable couches in air conditioning for them to waste their lives away in.. here they get what we eat.. and we dont go to supermarkets we raise or kill our foods..

I only met one vetenarian that said the same thing.. he was a Chinese vet with a very Eastern practice as opposed to an American practice..he told me all about foods..vaccines..and how to get the most out of the dogs... unfortunaitly two years ago his American wife left him and he went back to China. I miss Dr Wen.. he was the only honest vet that treated the dog not take your wallet.

Monies in pet food are in the billions... vet care same money lines.. why would they want to ruin a perfect partnership of the never ending money train and create a healthy food.

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
My fist dog was not allowed in the house as a kid.. my dad was first generation here and said animals live outside build him a house if you want himi itside.. when winter came he let the dog come into thehouse.. by the2 year the dog (doberman) one his heart over and the dog had free run of the house except bedrooms.

Austin_F

BAMF+
I'm sure the Rachel ray shit is shit, but in my dogs their coats get shiny, their turds get smaller and firmer and their energy skyrockets.

When I try something else they go downhill.

CID

BAMF+
you love your dogs way more than I love mine. I didn't even know what a titer test was.

The first thought that came to mind...:eek::razz:

rumble phish

BAMF+
I sent that link to my wife (she's a veterinarian). She messaged me back: "yep, grain-free is the devil."
Can you expand on her thoughts about grain-free being bad for dogs? Not being a vet, but having raised several dogs and cats) who were all healthy and lived to ripe old ages (for their species/breed), I've always steered clear of any grains in dog or cat food (except rice), since they are primarily carnivores by nature. Wheat grains seem especially bad for them. I also steered clear of high sugar vegetables (carrots/peas/corn). I've had a few dogs that had severe grain allergies, which is why I did a little homework on what a canines diet should consist of. Switching to grain-free dry foods and snacks completely cleared up the dogs of their skin conditions and their coats showed great improvement.

My current dog, a Japanese Chin, has such a grain allergy. We feed her Kirkland dry food, which is grain free, as well as "Pupperonis" treats which are also surprisingly grain free. We drop in a few ounces of canned albacore or some rotisserie chicken meat (skin and back meat mostly) a few times a week. She loves it! I don't know exactly how old she is because she was a rescue, literally off the street. The Vet we took her to estimated she is older considering the wear on her teeth (maybe 8-10 years old), and she acted it early on. But with the proper diet she now acts almost puppy like at times. Her favorite pastime is still napping, preferably on your lap, but we run her for at least 20-30 minutes a day and she loves it.

CID

BAMF+
Its like this for now on -- Don't feed your dog dry food. PERIOD,

If you do, you're a cheap, lazy bastard that wants your dog to die a miserable death just so you can go buy a cat. AND you're a racist who capitulates to Russia and Iran.

There, I said it.

GSXRTURBO1

BAMF
Its like this for now on -- Don't feed your dog dry food. PERIOD,

If you do, you're a cheap, lazy bastard that wants your dog to die a miserable death just so you can go buy a cat. AND you're a racist who capitulates to Russia and Iran.

There, I said it.
we've got 2 dogs and 2 cats... I'm fucked 😲

CID

BAMF+
Anybody that owns a cat AND a dog is a dirty gerbil stuffin commie and needs to move back to Switzerland from where they came. Now quick go kill the cats and start feeding the dogs canned horse meat like everybody else does you loser!

GSXRTURBO1

BAMF
Anybody that owns a cat AND a dog is a dirty gerbil stuffin commie and needs to move back to Switzerland from where they came. Now quick go kill the cats and start feeding the dogs canned horse meat like everybody else does you loser!
I heard voices...... done. 😵

CZLoco

artist formerly known as quad destroyer and...
This has been an "accepted" food for my dogs the last couple few months.
Dog's don't go crazy for it, nor do they leave it alone for 24 hours at a time.
$45/22lb bag is at the higher end of what I'd like to spend, but we love our pups, right.

1561761189742.png

CZLoco

I used to buy something else but they started getting flakey on Amazon.
Half the time they were out of stock.
And I can't be dealing with that.

CZLoco

$45 is about half of what I can easily spend on just myself at Taco Bell in one night.
I don't lie.
I get fat.

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
45 abag is cheap .. havent researched them..but if the dogs are doing well and the stools are firm and small your good to go

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
$45 is about half of what I can easily spend on just myself at Taco Bell in one night.
I don't lie.
I get fat.

$5.00 worth at Taco Bell would blow my colon out, I can't even imagine $10.00 or $20.00 worth!

CZLoco

$5 would barely buy me one supreme crunch wrap taco.

rumble phish

BAMF+
I used to buy something else but they started getting flakey on Amazon.
Half the time they were out of stock.
And I can't be dealing with that.
Check out the Kirkland brand out of Costco. My dog is doing great on it, as was my sister's dog (Lab) and my neighbors Husky.

Wretch

amazingly graceful
I never eat at Taco Bell anymore and since the Dr. who was my source on a terrible story is dead, I think I can safely tell it without getting anyone in trouble.

There was a outbreak of Hepatitis A locally so the labs went to work and found the common denominator...
...it was the local Taco Bell.
After some samples were taken from there they found the source.
Seems one of the kids working there got mad at someone or was just being a stupid kid so, he mixed his own shit in with the re-fried beans.

He lost his job to be sure but, I'm not sure if he was ever prosecuted.
Personally, I'd like to have learned they fed him nothing but shit until he died.

It taught me a valuable life tip about eating out.

I cannot/will not eat at a restaurant where "kids" are managing, cooking or handling the food.
This eliminates most all fast food places or any place where your shoes stick to the floor.

CZLoco

Fuggit, I've been that kid working for $3.75/hour at Burger King when I was 15.
Yeah, we weren't too smart back then.
But you know what, I've also picked a sammich off the ground and kept eating it (cuz it was the last one).
Not sure what my point is/was but if you're worried about being murdered by a 16 y/o via durty burger than you need to stop and take a breath.

Wretch

amazingly graceful
Not worried about being murdered but, I'm not going to risk the wrath of some kid with an extra helping of angst and terminal edginess.

I'd be more concerned about where I'd put the bodies if I were to allow one to pull that kind of shit on me or mind.

Golden Corral and Burger King out here got caught employing people with Hepatitis. They make a big deal out of it now, told people get tested if you ate here on such and such dates. Not sure how they found out, I don't think they test for it but it's becoming more common with all the junkies working in food services.

And our vet said take our new puppy off the grain free shit..at least find out if he has a grain allergy first. Since our last dog had a grain allergy we just thought, and well that's what you get for thinkin'

CZLoco

The worst thing about Burger King that I remember is when the 32 y/o short blond haired dyke Manager tried to molest a 16 y/o girl employee in the deep freezer.
That was just weird.
Otherwise we were a pretty bad-assed team that strived hard to deliver quality (lol) food in a timely manner.

CZLoco

The best thing I remember is after we closed up and I got to take all the leftover chicken tenders and spicy chicken patties and make a super chicken tender whopper with bacon & bbq sauce.
That fucking burger was like seven inches thick (not long you pervs) and the sheeeeitttt!

CZLoco

I'm pretty sure that was the start of my 30lbs overweight I've been trying to lose for the last 30 years

Had a roommate that worked at BK.....for some reason he stole a whole gallon of buffalo sauce...we felt rich for a while.
You can't bring any of their food home to eat, it's nasty after 15 minutes.

OP
OP
Zippy

Zippy

pinhead
Earth or possibly another planet, also Dingburg
...when I worked a swanky restaurant at my 1st ever job one of the bus boy pissed in the onion soup...it was a huge pot...he did it more than once...

...you could smell it every time they heated it up...they kept serving it though, and eventually it was all gone...

...I never eat the onion soup anywhere...for one thing it, could be very old, even if it doesn't have piss in it...

rumble phish

BAMF+
I never eat at Taco Bell anymore and since the Dr. who was my source on a terrible story is dead, I think I can safely tell it without getting anyone in trouble.

There was a outbreak of Hepatitis A locally so the labs went to work and found the common denominator...
...it was the local Taco Bell.
After some samples were taken from there they found the source.
Seems one of the kids working there got mad at someone or was just being a stupid kid so, he mixed his own shit in with the re-fried beans.

He lost his job to be sure but, I'm not sure if he was ever prosecuted.
Personally, I'd like to have learned they fed him nothing but shit until he died.

It taught me a valuable life tip about eating out.

I cannot/will not eat at a restaurant where "kids" are managing, cooking or handling the food.
This eliminates most all fast food places or any place where your shoes stick to the floor.
Yeah, we've all heard the urban legends - the kid putting shit in the refried beans at Taco Bell, the dude jerking off int he donut batter at Winchell's, the employee wiping the buns in his ass crack at Mickey D's, the waitress sticking the kielbasa in her cunt at some restaurant, the wait staff re-serving food off of cleared plates, etc, etc, etc...

Golden Corral and Burger King out here got caught employing people with Hepatitis. They make a big deal out of it now, told people get tested if you ate here on such and such dates. Not sure how they found out, I don't think they test for it but it's becoming more common with all the junkies working in food services.
Today an employer can't deny someone employment due to a hepatitis diagnosis. Hell, they can't even ask you about it. Same with HIV.

Top Bottom