Visited the SpaceX facility in Hawthorne today...

rumble phish

BAMF+
Falcon 9 on display out front..

Hyperloop testing set up

And of you've ever wondered how they light the engines on a Falcon 9, look closely at the bottom right of this picture.

Once we got on the property I wasn't allowed to snap any more pictures :(

Very cool place, with an amazingly relaxed atmosphere. Couldn't get he full $.10 tour due to the VID, but next time I'll get to actually walk through the facilities where the design, fab and build the engines and rocket bodies.

BigGar

high on placebo
Just get under it with that little BBQ lighter and once you see a couple of sparks, run like hell! Was that a secure area where that rocket was? If so, I'm betting fucking Elon put that lighter there.

OP
rumble phish

rumble phish

BAMF+
Just get under it with that little BBQ lighter and once you see a couple of sparks, run like hell! Was that a secure area where that rocket was? If so, I'm betting fucking Elon put that lighter there.
Nope, that's literally at the corner of Crenshaw Blvd and Jack Northrop Dr.. There's like a 10' plexiglass wall around the rocket. Guess some joker tossed that in there, but I don't think it'd be far fetched to think the Elon tossed it there himself. :lol:

The cool thing about that Falcon 9 display is that it isn't static. It's fully powered up to maintain internal pressurization. Otherwise it would probably collapse under it's own mass due to how thin the skin is. They keep it monitored, and of course there is no fuel in it.

My daughter and I have our names up in space on a couple of birds, my daughter got to visit one of my government contract jobs and they were wrapping some of the electronic hardware with termial shield blanket and we were able to sign the blanket.

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
I'd really like to go inside that plant but higher on my list would be to se the Boca Chica launch area when they finally get the super heavy with starship loaded up for the first test....and yes, a good ways off even if I have every confidence in it.

tinhead

Has never named a pet
Maybe you can hook me up :lol:... tell him a fellow Linux Admin/Engineer in Louisiana is on the Starlink beta wait list. Maybe he can "help" my application along.
Since Starlink started actual beta testing that doesn't include me, I haven't heard a peep out of the "team". No email, no texts, nothing. I'm developing a feeling of being treated as a steerage class wait list leper.

Dameon

BAMF+
Since Starlink started actual beta testing that doesn't include me, I haven't heard a peep out of the "team". No email, no texts, nothing. I'm developing a feeling of being treated as a steerage class wait list leper.
I'm hoping RP can get me hooked up and move my name ahead of yours at least. :lol:

I've only gotten one email since beta opened asking for some additional information. Nothing since. Not looking good for me.

Dameon

BAMF+
Surely you linux admins can spare an account for a VPS to fellow labs board members :)
My personal hosting company does VPS instances for $2/month. If you really want it, I can spin it up and send you the credentials. Personal meaning not the hoster LABs is on. It's not my company personally.

Top Bottom