Virtual Reality

OP
roadczar

roadczar

BAMF
Website
www.roadczar.com
You guys are out of touch. I have not used a flat screen for gaming for over two years and will never again. Index controllers with individual finger tracking are revolutionary.

Wretch

amazingly graceful
I've had financial setbacks but, things have changed now.
Priorities change, things such as entertainment fall by the wayside.
I have other things to spend my disposable income on first.

BigGar

high on placebo
Still nothing going on, still don't know anyone who has it and have never seen VR outside of some trade show
I do find it interesting that it's been about three years and this technology still hasn't really "caught on".

I thought it would take over the world.

Not so much, yet. . .

CID

BAMF+
Hands free VR is getting a little better as time goes on. That's gonna be the holy grail.
The design of a system that provides the brain with feedback (without being cumbersome) AND doesn't confuse the internal brain from inconsistent stimuli is the key.
Think about a video's sound that's just a little too late or soon... it confuses the communication senses. Big headsets and devices is a whole other issue.
It'll take off when it does, but the industry is still about 5 years away from that huge leap and even then it'll be a niche until a direct usage to the large consumer set can be found.

I think that will come first (in large scale) in the personal computer set environment (think minority report, in air ....graphical representation and device manipulation) - but even then the personal smartphone is the target there, so integration in that realm is a competitor to the autonomous VR types we see today.

6a00e54ee3905b8833019b0033bc88970.jpg

Once people accept a desktop move from physical screen to projection in a 3D element... that's when things start to meld up with VR's abilities.
(keep in mind a lot of people can't even deal with basic 3D movies without getting head aches)
Google glasses is somewhere in that arena. Getting all these points to meld... that's the big sell point for the masses.

Last edited:
OP
roadczar

roadczar

BAMF
Website
www.roadczar.com
VR is alive and well. Valve is selling all of Index units ahead of Half Life Alyx release. There is nothing better for gaming especially the sims.
It does still have a high cost of entry, but if you like to know what it feels like to drive a GT3 Porsche or fly a DC 10 Warthog there is nothing better. I'll never go back to flat screen gaming. The technology is incredible.

Austin_F

BAMF+
If you go on reddit you'll see many people coming out complaining of motion sickness with games. Supposedly changing the depth of field can help alleviate it. How do you get those people on board?

I have a Samsung vr that came with a phone and I was trying some demos. 5 minutes into a flying car demo and I had to take the thing off. Took a solid hour for the headache and nausea to pass.

They'll have to make it so people dont get sick.

The other thing is, in the movies tom cruise sliding things around on minority report looks cool. But expecting people to hold their arms in the air for hour after hour to play games or whatever is too much.

Austin_F

BAMF+
Going around the samsung menus in vr is nice though. You look at something long enough for a little circle to complete and that makes the selection.

Still much much slower than keyboard mouse.

OP
roadczar

roadczar

BAMF
Website
www.roadczar.com
VR is best suited for gaming, content consumption, and modeling. I would not use it for productivity. Also, phone based VR is only a taste. If you really want to experience a high fidelity VR experience you must try a dedicated high end device like Valve Index with 120Hz refresh rate.

im2fast4uguys

Mr Rabbit
I bought the original Oculus Rift about 2 years back. I had built a single monitor racecar simulator and was looking to add 2 more monitors to widen the viewing area to make it more realistic ...Then I discovered Project Cars was VR compatible and I could get Rift for the same cost as the 2 extra screens so it was a no brainer... As it's already been said, you are IN THE CAR !! … The Immersion of the game is incredible but unfortunately motion sickness is a bummer and I couldn't play for more than 20-30 minutes without feeling a need to puke … I love one of the included games called ROBO RECALL and GOOGLE EARTH is just out of this world, but VR racing is over for me until they overcome motion sickness.

Last edited:

Wretch

amazingly graceful
Very nice!

I have the old Saitek X52?
Last stick/HOTAS setup they made before they got bought out.

I had to give up such expenditures once I had the little one on the way.

Things have progressed so far since then.

I still miss flying MS CFS every night on The Zone.

Mustangs are a favorite of mine.

Laying hands on a flying P-51D modified into two seater, was a dream I never thought I'd enjoy.

Top Bottom