VC, I was diggin this ol’ gal….

CZLoco

artist formerly known as quad destroyer and...
That doesn't really turn my head. But I'll tell you what, I've been thinking about older cars lately.
Maybe in a few years after my Bronco is up & running and I'm in the black, I might pick up an old sedan of some sort.
Something old, but not too old that it's a POS to drive.
Something EFI and comfortable but still pre-OBD II.

I'll have to research what town cars or sedans might have the same 351W engine (or a 302) & OBD1 EFI with E40D automatic as my '94 Bronco.
It'll be good to have the same in both so I can swap parts around for troubleshooting as needed.
Though I'm sure I'll convert to MAF over my current SEFI, I'd still remain OBD1.

Jeff1216

BAMF
That doesn't really turn my head. But I'll tell you what, I've been thinking about older cars lately.
Maybe in a few years after my Bronco is up & running and I'm in the black, I might pick up an old sedan of some sort.
Something old, but not too old that it's a POS to drive.
Something EFI and comfortable but still pre-OBD II.

I'll have to research what town cars or sedans might have the same 351W engine (or a 302) & OBD1 EFI with E40D automatic as my '94 Bronco.
It'll be good to have the same in both so I can swap parts around for troubleshooting as needed.
Though I'm sure I'll convert to MAF over my current SEFI, I'd still remain OBD1.

What is the benefit of pre- OBDII? Just a curiosity question

WARREN

BAMF+
I cant find a pic of my actual lesabre, but my 1987 coupe was probably my all time favorite ride. Not the t type, but the limited with every option possible.
Got written off while it was parked one weekend while we were in quebec match racing. some asshole stole the stereo with what appeared to be a sledgehammer......parts were impossible to find, so they cut me a cheque and I bought a 81 Z28 4 speed car.

Screenshot_20220923-062818_Samsung Internet.jpg

Vicious_Cycle

they/them - LABusas Road Captain
Had a 92 park avenue ultra with the supercharged 3800

It was pretty surprising off the line. loved the whine!
My Ultra was a '96. It's not like I went out looking for races with it, but sometimes situations arise where acceleration is a good thing to have.
I surprised a few racer boys with fart-can mobiles over the years. I also scared myself a couple times entering a wet freeway off ramp too hot. 4-wheel drifts ensued but were surprisingly controllable.

CZLoco

What is the benefit of pre- OBDII? Just a curiosity question
Basically, tin-foil-hat reasoning.
The electronics aren't smart enough for current Insurance companies or future Gov mandates to bother with when it comes to monitoring.

So, Progressive isn't going to say "hey, if you attach this device to your car, we'll give you a 10% discount on your premium".

But some of the OBD1 vehicles are new enough to have the good air conditioning and air bags and safety features and can still be modified aftermarket for EFI.
Like the PiMPxs Standalone Engine Management (Sequential EFI) which can totally customize your OBD1 SEFI fuel injection to a point that even a MAF swap cannot compete with.

CZLoco

Gotta hate it when you're interested in an older car but the seller has had the engine bay detailed.
Makes it harder to see where all the leaks and obvious trouble spots are.

Bandit Man

BAMF
How about a barn kept Cordoba with 12K miles. A guy from high school has it, it was his father's that passed away and now he's thinking about selling it. It in Imaly City Michigan. I'm waiting to see how much he's gonna want for it. He has to talk to his brother and sister since it's part of a Probate deal.

received_480631773938303.jpeg

received_2848272915467898.jpeg

received_756695965627748.jpeg

pimpslayer

HOLYBAMF
How about a barn kept Cordoba with 12K miles. A guy from high school has it, it was his father's that passed away and now he's thinking about selling it. It in Imaly City Michigan. I'm waiting to see how much he's gonna want for it. He has to talk to his brother and sister since it's part of a Probate deal.

View attachment 111806

View attachment 111807

View attachment 111808
Love them big ole B-body coupes. My brother had 2 black Cordobas...one after another.

(Let me know what they want for it...)

BilletMan

BAMF+
"Carlos"...that's all I've got..."fine Corinthian Leather??? Carlos Manteban?

Vicious_Cycle

they/them - LABusas Road Captain

View attachment 111806

View attachment 111807

View attachment 111808
I'll stick with 3800 Buicks, thanks.
That 400 is a pig, and it looks like the front clip may have been replaced / repainted?

HG

I’m here for the entertainment
Last edited:
  • Red
Reactions: Red

scottcolbath

BAMF+

View attachment 111806

View attachment 111807

View attachment 111808
My younger brother had one of those for a little while. It was a load of shit. Just a big, ugly, slow load.

S.C.

GSXRTURBO1

BAMF+

Kirk

BAMF
BTW, there is no such thing as "Corinthian" leather in those cars- "Corinthian" was just a word that they enjoyed hearing Montalban pronounce while shooting the commercials.

GSXRTURBO1

BAMF+
With VERY few exceptions, Malaise-era American cars do not make my pants get tight in the crotchal region.
Pretty much the same. I would have hated that car about the time it was made, and right up until just a few years ago. Now that I'm older and definitely more feeble, I have some sort of strange attraction to it. I say feck.

GSXRTURBO1

BAMF+
BTW, there is no such thing as "Corinthian" leather in those cars- "Corinthian" was just a word that they enjoyed hearing Montalban pronounce while shooting the commercials.
Yeah, just go ahead and destroy my memories with facts. Gawd dammit, it's Corinthian leather if the fantasy island dude says it is! Where's Herme (the plane, the plane) when you need him?
<spit>

Pretty much the same. I would have hated that car about the time it was made, and right up until just a few years ago. Now that I'm older and definitely more feeble, I have some sort of strange attraction to it. I say feck.
Same. For some reason I love seeing those old barges driving around in decent shape. Caddy’s, Olds, Lincoln’s, etc… all with giant wheezy V8s. Perhaps it’s just nostalgia from my childhood when they were commonplace sights.

A friends mom had a Cordoba like that, blue with a white interior. His dad had a 77’ish Grand Marquis. When I was growing up my mom had a ‘76 Olds 98 Regency. 455, TH400, 2.50 something rear end lol. I’d love that car right now.

Kirk

BAMF
1981 to 1987 2-door G-bodies are the only malaise-era car that comes to mind that I like. And I guess the related wagons and pickup versions back to 1978. But not any of the 4-doors.

Okay, and I guess the 2-door Nova from '75-'79.

Okay, buddy, what's the deal with all the cleanliness and organization?
Are you some kind of sicko?!
Oh that was right after I cleaned up the garage enough to put it in there for the winter last year. I'll have to do it again this year, as it's quite the mess!
Hell yeah they are..... too bad the market here is full of Regals and Cut supremes that are 6k overvalued...... I'd daily drive one no problem
Anything even halfway cool is crazy money these days. Except for the winter, I've been daily driving this since I got it last year. I'll drive it while I gather the parts, and hopefully get the swap done relatively quickly. I don't want a multi year non-driving garage ornament.
You're gonna LS-swap your Oldsmobuick?
2009 5.3L LMG (flex fuel) and a 4L80.

Not sure what your plans are, but that flex fuel part opens up a lot of possibilities, especially if power adders are an option. Even totally stock, I like flex fuel! Cool project.
Just something fun to drive to work, run errands, and take the long way home. A small "truck" cam will be the only real change since I'll be doing the AFM/DOD delete and have to replace the cam anyway. Holley Terminator to run it. Hoping to get started on the swap next spring. It's got a blue interior that's not my favorite, but it's so clean that I'm gonna leave it. The body has a couple spots that will need attention, but nothing pressing. It's pretty clean overall considering it's a new england car.

Top Bottom