Used 4x4s

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
Ever since I got ride of my Escalade I have been looking for a used 4x4 under 5k with less the 90k .. wanted a Grand Cherokee 2003 to 2008 or a Toyota SR5 but except for a few stipped models I'm not having much luck... most jeeps are over 5k and run between 6k to 8k with 160k miles or more, some WAY more on the milage here in the north east.

So now I'm thinking to head the jeep or older Cherokee route.. I'll look for a stolen recovery or repairable I can slap together. Base jeeps need a better front and rear diff any way... my build is more around sand (beach travel) then rock crawling. Any body got a hook in the insurance auctions or rebuildable dealer?

Vegas12

BAMF+
Good luck on ANY Toyota truck....they're gold.

I can bid on anything at Copart for you...the dealer I go through charges me $300 on top of your bid and fees.

Hard to find a 5 year old truck with less than 90k, even totalled is gonna be above your price point if fixable...Sir, your order is just too tall.

Rocco

BAM
They used the rock solid 4.0 6 cyl in Cherokees until 2001 and Grand Cherokees up to 2004. I'm building a 2001 Cherokee XJ sport / 3" on 32's. The Cherokee XJ's are super easy to work on and will run for 300 to 400k miles if you do your part. Xj's are already collectors around here, but still cheap enough.

OP
OP
Rhino

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
Those square box Cherokees are holding huge value up here. With most around 140 K ++++ miles going for 5 to 6 k

I'll search Copart and let you know if I see anything.

Yep my order is a bit hard to find.. the days of a 500 running car are long long gone.

I need a truck to transport dogs.. and it's going to be parked on the street so it not going to be as nice as I'm used to .. I also want one that going to be reliable enough if I wake up in the morning and want to head out across the country I can. Also need it to tow a light 10 foot trailer.

OP
OP
Rhino

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
Best deals I'm finding are used Yukon Denali in the 2003 to 2005 years going for less then 4k ... but I hated my 2002 Z71 Tahoe so bad I took a 10k hit getting ride of it in less then 8 months of ownership.
Also isnt the Denali AWD.. they stopped giving beach permits to AWD vehicles now.

OP
OP
Rhino

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
I can't ant have removable tops for K9 transport. I also need climate control and secure truck for transport. I do like those trucks though..

OP
OP
Rhino

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
I dont know shit about Range Rovers.. but those fucking things are going cheap too. But I can see them being like my KTM and being a bitch with dealer service. There are some real nice deals on them... but noticed no real.high mile trucks out there. Mainly 125k to 135k miles on most.. which leads me to believe they reached the end of their value service life.

OP
OP
Rhino

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
Those are like a German car...you don't want one out of warranty.

Pretty much why they so damn cheap.

The main thing I'm try to avoid is buying cheap then having to throw 8k into it... for that I would just buy a 13k 4x4

Came across a pretty mint 64 SS nova for 4k .. ALL ORIGINAL and no rust ... I was thinking of flipping that one. Car was stored for 25 years and runs..

CZLoco

artist formerly known as quad destroyer and...
I dunno, if I had a trash can full of cash, I'd throw it at a long-term deal.
Something going up in valuation rather than down.
Ain't no way I'd buy a 40K vehicle rather than a 5K vehicle + $20k thrown at it.

CZLoco

My Bronco will never be at the top of the list for high prices.
But it'll do nothing but appreciate.
And so far, I'm freaking thrilled with my purchase.

CZLoco

I get it though. Not everyone wants a "project".
And that's what an older vehicle will be, for sure.

rumble phish

BAMF+
Well, you know the story of my truck (MONYPIT). Spent more on it than I intend, but I couldn't be happier right now. Took camping this past weekend and she climbs without breaking a sweat (or traction). Climbed one road that was turned up, soft Sierra hillside. Basically mulch on about at least a 30 degree incline for about 150 yards up the mountain side. Never took her over 1500 rpm as she simply walked up the hillside. Ran down and up another similar grade, coverwd with loose large rocks and buck brush on either side scraping the truck. Again, just rolled right up. Coming up a couple of wide switch backs, one with soft powder dirt and the other gravel drifting in 4 Hi with all four wheels spinning. Took several hours for the for the grin on my face to subside.

Buy a solid foundation, motor/tranny can be rebuilt or replaced. Suspension and brakes are a piece of cake (and cheap enough in the big picture). A solid frame and body without rust, and a good electrical system are what you want.

OP
OP
Rhino

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
Well, you know the story of my truck (MONYPIT). Spent more on it than I intend, but I couldn't be happier right now. Took camping this past weekend and she climbs without breaking a sweat (or traction). Climbed one road that was turned up, soft Sierra hillside. Basically mulch on about at least a 30 degree incline for about 150 yards up the mountain side. Never took her over 1500 rpm as she simply walked up the hillside. Ran down and up another similar grade, coverwd with loose large rocks and buck brush on either side scraping the truck. Again, just rolled right up. Coming up a couple of wide switch backs, one with soft powder dirt and the other gravel drifting in 4 Hi with all four wheels spinning. Took several hours for the for the grin on my face to subside.

Buy a solid foundation, motor/tranny can be rebuilt or replaced. Suspension and brakes are a piece of cake (and cheap enough in the big picture). A solid frame and body without rust, and a good electrical system are what you want.
Looked at a 2007 grand cherokee overland with a blown Hemi with 73k miles yesterday.. motor had a rod knock. and we could not make a deal.. he was firm on $2800 .. I was firm on $1600. Told him when he cant unload it the cash is here waiting.

LuxPride

BAM
After taking the plunge on my GX 460, I'm sold on the Lexus cool-aid. Right now they're the "hidden gem" of the used 4x4 world. They're sold as the Prado 120 (GX470) or the 150 (GX460) in the rest of the world. Middle east/Aussie/Africa and everywhere else a true 4x4 is needed.
Guys are buying early model GX 470's with 220k on the clock and driving the shit out of them, Moab, Ouray, they're popping up everywhere and the aftermarket is finally starting to notice.

Most were bought by soccer moms and have never seen dirt. Comfortable, quiet and capable. Might be a tad more upfront than your 5k budget, but they're pretty bulletproof and straight forward. I'd give them a look.

BigGar

high on placebo
My buddy Rex's daughter just picked up a Saturn Outlook for $3,500. I don't know who owned it before her, but they fucking worshiped this thing. It's got about 130K on it and it's nearly perfect. It's also huge. I'd completely forgotten that Saturn even made an SUV this large. It's not quite Tahoe sized, but close. Anyway, she bought it without me looking at it for her, so I was a bit concerned until I saw it last week. Well optioned too with heated seats and all manner of whatever else one would expect on a car a dozen or so years ago.

rumble phish

BAMF+
My buddy Rex's daughter just picked up a Saturn Outlook for $3,500. I don't know who owned it before her, but they fucking worshiped this thing. It's got about 130K on it and it's nearly perfect. It's also huge. I'd completely forgotten that Saturn even made an SUV this large. It's not quite Tahoe sized, but close. Anyway, she bought it without me looking at it for her, so I was a bit concerned until I saw it last week. Well optioned too with heated seats and all manner of whatever else one would expect on a car a dozen or so years ago.
Sounds good. However, the thing that would concern me would be finding parts for it as it ages and things start to fall apart.

Vegas12

BAMF+
Sounds good. However, the thing that would concern me would be finding parts for it as it ages and things start to fall apart.
It's the same as a Chevy traverse, and other GM crossovers...

Same V6 as the Caddys of that vintage.

Rocco

BAM
Flippers are right on the super deals.

CZLoco

I was just thinking the price was kind of low on that wagon.
My parents had a big-assed green one like it, with the wood side paneling, way back in the day. I guess I was between 5-10 y/o and would spend hours in the back of it, no seat buckle, just laying down with my pillows and comic books and reading or looking out the back window and making faces at cars behind us.
And I think it might have had an electric roll down back window?
Probably a Ferd but it's been so long that I don't remember.
I just know it made long trips a lot easier on me.

Vegas12

BAMF+
I was just thinking the price was kind of low on that wagon.
My parents had a big-assed green one like it, with the wood side paneling, way back in the day. I guess I was between 5-10 y/o and would spend hours in the back of it, no seat buckle, just laying down with my pillows and comic books and reading or looking out the back window and making faces at cars behind us.
And I think it might have had an electric roll down back window?
Probably a Ferd but it's been so long that I don't remember.
I just know it made long trips a lot easier on me.

(probably a free post, but fuck it, I'm old!!)

The reason I lean Ford is my pops bought a new '71 Country Squire wagon.

It was some kind of bastard order because it was an LTD with the wood grain (country squire) but had roll up windows and vinyl seats.

The kicker was it had the 429 police interceptor motor (365HP CJ)

I was 9 years old and my mom was in her 20's.....crazy woman would do funny car burnouts basically melting the skinny white wall tires!!!

She would do burnouts in the church parking lot, our cul de sac....wherever.

I loved that fuckin' wagon.

Probably part of the reason I currently have a '72 Lincoln Mark IV that I want to build a 500+ cube stroker for.......funny car burn outs FTMFW!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rhino

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
After taking the plunge on my GX 460, I'm sold on the Lexus cool-aid. Right now they're the "hidden gem" of the used 4x4 world. They're sold as the Prado 120 (GX470) or the 150 (GX460) in the rest of the world. Middle east/Aussie/Africa and everywhere else a true 4x4 is needed.
Guys are buying early model GX 470's with 220k on the clock and driving the shit out of them, Moab, Ouray, they're popping up everywhere and the aftermarket is finally starting to notice.

Most were bought by soccer moms and have never seen dirt. Comfortable, quiet and capable. Might be a tad more upfront than your 5k budget, but they're pretty bulletproof and straight forward. I'd give them a look.
Narrowed it down to a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee overland with 107k miles (I still have a set of rims with a set of great Blizarks from my old GC in the basement) for $4.8k will take $4.5k

Or I found a VERY nice 04 GX470 with 109k miles $6.9k firm price

One of them will be bought buy next week.

LuxPride

BAM
Narrowed it down to a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee overland with 107k miles (I still have a set of rims with a set of great Blizarks from my old GC in the basement) for $4.8k will take $4.5k

Security Check Required

This is a great group. A ton of GX content, builds, and accessories. There's a great apple car play/android auto-info unit upgrade that modernizes the interior. Keeps all factory functionality and brings it into this century. I think the Lexus might actually go up in value, they're at the low point, but people are starting to notice how capable they are for the money. Guys have great results from Blackstone with almost 500,000 miles on the motor.

Vegas12

BAMF+

Just an FYI...

The GX is the Forerunner

The LX is the Land Cruiser

Am personally looking for an LX470. 2002> have the 5 speed auto.

Also be aware the 4.7 Toy motor uses a timing belt.

OP
OP
Rhino

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
Damn Jack ... now I see.. huge price difference in the two.. no low milage units here and all over 10k

Vegas12

BAMF+
Damn Jack ... now I see.. huge price difference in the two.. no low milage units here and all over 10k
Forerunner/GX are legit.....but they ain't a Landcruiser!!

Yup, 99 shitbox LX 's with 200K are trying to fetch $10k......waiting for a Copart truck with minor damage....still probably gonna pay $5k.

CZLoco

Your next house is going to be a project, I think you've eluded to this.
So I can't in any good conscience buddy-pressure you into buying a project vehicle. You can't have too many projects going on at the same time or nothing gets done. That's the hard lesson I keep trying to learn the hard way, over and over.

But I hope you don't splurge a bunch of money into something that will only depreciate in value.
Just get a midrange junker for now.
And save those NY peso's for when you have time to build something fucking amazing.

CZLoco

A 3rd generation 4Runner is nobody's fool.
And will meet most or all of your "right now" needs.

OP
OP
Rhino

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
Your next house is going to be a project, I think you've eluded to this.
So I can't in any good conscience buddy-pressure you into buying a project vehicle. You can't have too many projects going on at the same time or nothing gets done. That's the hard lesson I keep trying to learn the hard way, over and over.

But I hope you don't splurge a bunch of money into something that will only depreciate in value.
Just get a midrange junker for now.
And save those NY peso's for when you have time to build something fucking amazing.

I'm retired.. and have nothing but time and money. House gut rebuilds I can get done in less then a year. Car projects are done in less then 2 months. One thing about me is when I get a project it is all I focus on.. I have the skills set, resources and most of all the money to start and finish on budget and under the time frame layed out. Trick with project houses is start with a good bones in an area that has GREAT schools. No one wants a nice house in a shit school.district when it's time to sell.

Cars, trucks, bike, will always depreciate.. that why buy what you like and just enjoy it. 10k on a vehicle today is a junker in my book.. at least that what I'm seeing after searching for one in that process range. My idea was to find one for 5k and have a 5k budget to make it reliable and fix what ever is wrong with it..unless I find someone like myself who sells a perfectly good vehicle because he wants something else. I dont keep anything more then 4 years. :)

Terry_Schiavo

in transition as "ill fuK anything" lucystrike
I would think something like a range rover would have decent enough running gear that you can pull whatever lump is powering it and put a nice aluminum v8 of LS or Coyote power

BusaVeloce

Cappo di tutti Cappo
Website
www.infowars.com

skip the jeep... IMHO... they ride like jeeps... go Jap~

OP
OP
Rhino

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
skip the jeep... IMHO... they ride like jeeps... go Jap~
I had a GC and put 91k miles on it. It went EVERYWHERE. The jap stuff is over priced and rust seems to plague them in the north east.. specially the 4 runners. It really comes down to the right deal.. I'm in no hurry and I have rode the bikes through winter before. :)

I would think something like a range rover would have decent enough running gear that you can pull whatever lump is powering it and put a nice aluminum v8 of LS or Coyote power
That is the last vehicle you want to do that kind of modification to. Talk about a money pit!

Top Bottom