Unreal - Boston Dynamics - There goes your job...

Terry_Schiavo

ScrapBracket.org moderator and admins
I tell you what is spooky. I heard Finbro is already working on a new head for it. Its supposed to get 15mph more
Zxbark is working an extra paper route to buy 1/2 of one! :lol: Then he will unleash his Brock modded H2 with Finbro headed droid on you! Only at 1/2 speed though!

Brokenfly

HOLYBAMF
this human and other fellow humans riding machines i work with to date has bested general electric's trip optimizer fuel saving cruise control program algorithms.

enough so that overall the program was shelved on the territory i run.

but the end is in sight.

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
this human and other fellow humans riding machines i work with to date has bested general electric's trip optimizer fuel saving cruise control program algorithms.

enough so that overall the program was shelved on the territory i run.

but the end is in sight.

Smitty?

OP
luckystrike

luckystrike

he/him - Chief Diversity and Inclusion Officer
Website
lemonparty.org
Just wait until Skynet is active.

I believe the human race is very much facing an extinction level event. It won't be nuclear war, climate change, famine, virus...but AI.

Read the 'Wait But Why' link I posted. Read Elon Musk's doomsday writing on this topic.

We are in the 'Artificial Narrow Intelligence' phase...where computers are better than the human brain at focused tasks, like playing chess.

This phase could have monumental societal upheaval. Driverless mobility could decimate employment in the trucking, flight and shipping industries.

We are rapidly heading to the 'Artificial General Intelligence' phase...where computers are equal to the human brain for general day to day tasks.

The 'Artificial Super Intelligence' phase will be upon us sooner than most think. What happens then? Will humans be relegated to being effectively redundant if not as a suboptimal parasitic distraction?

Buelligan

HOLYBAMF
Every good robot boy needs a dog... or cheetah or whatever.

[video=youtube;_luhn7TLfWU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_luhn7TLfWU[/video]

CID

BAMF+
What happens then? Will humans be relegated to being effectively redundant if not as a suboptimal parasitic distraction?
I dont know, but if they replace the cunt at the drive-through that keeps fuckin up my McMuffin order it won't hurt MY feelings none :screama:

Stetson

BAMF+
I dont know, but if they replace the cunt at the drive-through that keeps fuckin up my McMuffin order it won't hurt MY feelings none :screama:
I probably wouldn't mind renting a Wood Stacker 5000 a couple times a year. I don't want to have to put those little QR stickers on every piece of firewood, though. That would be a pain in the ass.

tinhead

Has never named a pet
Working where humans have the most difficulty will be the first market. Think ocean bed mining, or maintaining facilities above 4500 meters altitude.

Think how much effort one of those things could have saved Snail when he wasd crabbing. One of those robots walking on the sea floor, pulling out crabs to be hoisted to the surface, baiting the traps out of a big container at the bottom, all while the Captain reclines on a lawn chair, filling his bowl.

DungBeatle

Scarabaeidae Scarabaeinae
Working where humans have the most difficulty will be the first market. Think ocean bed mining, or maintaining facilities above 4500 meters altitude...
I agree, plus hard/soft rock mining, agriculture, high rise building construction, military, deep sea exploration, apartment manager :) ... We could have buildings construct themselves.

All of the most deadly or impossible jobs should be handled by robots anyway.

gsxrian

BAMF
"Will humans be relegated to being effectively redundant if not as a suboptimal parasitic distraction?"

They already are in the US, thanks to all the outsourcing and lax immigration!

OP
luckystrike

luckystrike

Website
lemonparty.org
The thing nobody has talked about is battery life. Remember how loud the ICE powered one was?
A difficult problem but an uninteresting one. Just a 'bump in the road'.

Oh, and humans are battery powered too. Our batteries happen to be called 'food'. Really, both robots and humans are powered by electrochemistry, just different materials are involved.

Your Car Is Slow

HOLYBAMF
eh, technological advances in batteries continue to steamroll. heck the first lithium didnt even come out until the 90s.

imagine what battery tech will advance to in the next 20 years.

OP
luckystrike

luckystrike

Website
lemonparty.org
Could be that cyborg power sources could evolve to be nuclear or carbon based instead of electrochemical.

Hell, these things might be able to subsist on photosynthesis, or maybe by feeding on us...

OP
luckystrike

luckystrike

Website
lemonparty.org
All jokes aside, you guys are still assuming these bots will be silicon based fed off a household AC outlet.

Remember that the most powerful computer that we know about to-date, is carbon based.

Master-Cylinder

A difficult problem but an uninteresting one. Just a 'bump in the road'.

Oh, and humans are battery powered too. Our batteries happen to be called 'food'. Really, both robots and humans are powered by electrochemistry, just different materials are involved.

You've forgotten about DARPA's EATR, it can feed on humans.

Austin_F

BAMF+
If anyone is following The Chive on Instagram, go look at their take on this video.

Pretty much exactly what we've been saying. They posted a video about an hour ago.

Website
www.bikeland.org
No one's job is on the line. Can't wait for them to end up in circulation and for the Mexicans or the Indians to duct tape old broken ones together and decorate them up like their taxis. Fuck that will be funny. bedazzle the shit out of an old jacked up one and have it sweep the floor or something.

Your Car Is Slow

HOLYBAMF
bet tens of thousands of auto/etc factory workers said the same thing the first time they saw "one of them thar single arm lookin robots"

the cost of an FTE far exceeds just the salary paid to him.

Snail

BAMF. No. Really. As BAMF as they get.
I'd actually get back into crab fishing if I could get a couple of water proof models to run the deck. What drove me out of business was inability to get good deck crew.

gsxrian

BAMF
I'd actually get back into crab fishing if I could get a couple of water proof models to run the deck. What drove me out of business was inability to get good deck crew.
I would have thought that Mexicans would have been good at that?

They are great for manual labor when it comes to picking crops, or lawn care.

In the summer in Tampa, FL, the ONLY people that can handle the heat and do lawn care are Mexicans! The American's are too soft.

One time a crew brought a mid 30's chick who was 6 months pregnant to pull weeds for three hours, in a 110F heat index! She worked like a champ.

DungBeatle

Scarabaeidae Scarabaeinae
The thing nobody has talked about is battery life. Remember how loud the ICE powered one was?
Maybe we'll figure out how to transfer electricity through the air as Nicola Tesla envisioned...

Master-Cylinder

No one's job is on the line. Can't wait for them to end up in circulation and for the Mexicans or the Indians to duct tape old broken ones together and decorate them up like their taxis. Fuck that will be funny. bedazzle the shit out of an old jacked up one and have it sweep the floor or something.

Two words, John Henry.

DaCat

BAMF
Maybe we'll figure out how to transfer electricity through the air as Nicola Tesla envisioned...
One of the products I sell does this, albeit at a short range. 7mm maximum range, 0.5W power at 24VDC, but it can transfer digital signals as well. Can tolerate a misalignment of up to 15°.

We are getting there.

Your Car Is Slow

HOLYBAMF
cell phones have had wireless charging for years now...its pretty much built into every current generation cell phone already.

range is of course shit...but televisions were pretty mundane when they first came out too.

Snail

BAMF. No. Really. As BAMF as they get.
Mexicans don't seem to like crab boats, too cold. They're top shelf crew on tuna boats, warmer weather.

We've had some antique tech. on some tuna poles. Autopoles. They would sort of work, but so prone to adjustments and break downs that live men work better in the racks.

Buelligan

HOLYBAMF
In the summer in Tampa, FL, the ONLY people that can handle the heat and do lawn care are Mexicans!
I have an incredible propensity for heat. I bet I can work out in the sun longer than a Mexican. It's the peasant stock I come from. I come from generations of serfs apparently.

Terry_Schiavo

ScrapBracket.org moderator and admins
In the summer in Tampa, FL, the ONLY people that can handle the heat and do lawn care are Mexicans! The American's are too soft.

pluuuuzzeeee honkey. Tampa aint shit! You wouldnt last 5 mins in a South FL attic during prime summertime! Best folks for the job are of jewish descent/heritage! jews love ovens!! :D

Master-Cylinder

In the summer, I can't be out in direct sunlight for more than a few minutes, it's like I'm on fire. But the fucking morons who show up at the junkyard, stand out there for hours bragging about how bad ass they are on two wheel! I guess extreme heat doesn't effect retards. Or is it affect?

Top Bottom