Unreal - Boston Dynamics - There goes your job...

Fuckin' dick, kept knocking the box out of his hand.

Damn that thing is impressive. If this country holds out it's gonna be a neat 21st century.

OP
luckystrike

luckystrike

he/him - Chief Diversity and Inclusion Officer
Website
lemonparty.org
I've been keeping an eye on BD for some time, did not know they're a Google operation now.

It's a big deal that these things aren't tethered to a power source anymore.

Excited what this is going to look like in the next 5 to 10 years...and scared shitless at the same time.

How long before one of these things is racing a F1 car or MotoGP bike?

Dude, that was insane watching it keep its balance in the snow... particularly when the snow gave way.

I'm not entirely sure why they're married to the humanoid form, but it is an incredible feat of engineering.

OP
luckystrike

luckystrike

Website
lemonparty.org
I'm not entirely sure why they're married to the humanoid form, but it is an incredible feat of engineering.
They're not, the dog is their most famous 'bot. Atlas is new, but I figure a human form factor does make most sense since most things like that warehouse are built around it.

Wretch

amazingly graceful
More than a little bit spooky, but fascinating too.
The fucking thing is worrisome.

I'd want to be holding the damned off switch if it had to be in operation around me.

I'm thinking a can of undercoating could likely blind it...
...if I could find it's fucking eyes.

CID

BAMF+
funny --- it's all about balance right now.

Anybody ever notice we never see the robots work in RAIN? :lol:

Wretch

amazingly graceful
While out looking for that image I came across this one:

There are some fucked up people out there

OP
luckystrike

luckystrike

Website
lemonparty.org
funny --- it's all about balance right now.
Don't see it that way. If anything, 'balance' is solved as a mere mechanical problem.

If I were to guess it's all about computer vision and AI going forward. Sure, the mechanics will evolve, be lighter, smaller, quicker, better battery, gravity & balance devices, etc. But that's not really interesting now...that's just expectation.

The AI and computer vision is where there are real unsolved problems and will require revolution, as opposed to evolution.

The most amazing thing in that vid is that it can seemingly recognize its surroundings, like doors and shelves, and understand (I hate using that word in this context) what those things are for.

CID

BAMF+
Don't see it that way. If anything, 'balance' is solved as a mere mechanical problem..
no .....the most amazing thing if you'll read about the subject and not just look at link pictures is that THIS YEAR they get back up after falling. Last year's challenge didn't have even one that could do it. :fu::p

OP
luckystrike

luckystrike

Website
lemonparty.org
Your point is noted and summarily dismissed for the worthless garbage it is.

But things get really eerie when Atlas is put in a warehouse setting, where the robot picks up boxes and slides them onto shelves. It just keeps going, even when a bothersome human takes a hockey stick and slaps the box out of its arms.

bitch...

CID

BAMF+
Your point is noted and summarily dismissed for the worthless garbage it is bitch...

:eek::eek::lol:

http://paleofuture.gizmodo.com/the-new-atlas-robot-is-incredible-and-its-definitely-go-1760908062

This version of Atlas can not only walk over rough terrain, but he can squat and pick up boxes. You can even push Atlas violently with a hockey stick and he’ll maintain his balance. And his most incredible accomplishment? He can stand up after falling down.

When I was in Pomona, California for the DARPA Robotics Challenge this past summer one of the most difficult things that all the competing teams faced was simply keeping their robots upright. Remember all those funny gifs or robots awkwardly falling down? They couldn’t pick themselves back up.

Last edited:

Hush

BAMF
The most amazing thing in that vid is that it can seemingly recognize its surroundings, like doors and shelves, and understand (I hate using that word in this context) what those things are for.
I noticed a code on the doors, boxes, walls. Similar to qr but looked more basic. I'm guessing it is reading those.

Pat830

BAMF
I wanted to see it beat that guys ass with the hockey stick.
That is coming, we should not build such things. They will be engineered to the point of being able to build themselves then it's game on.

We don't need robots replacing unskilled workers that will otherwise go on government benefits and have all kinds of idle time to get into trouble.

Austin_F

BAMF+
They've come a long way since the dogs. Reminds of the Battlestar Galactica prequel cylons.

I wouldn't worry about trying to blind it by spraying it's eyes. I'm sure it will have radar, sonar, infrared vision, etc. It will always know right where you are :)

I've read that humanoid is not the most efficient fighting shape, but I don't know what is.

Mr Lucky

The Voice Of Reason...
I've been keeping an eye on BD for some time, did not know they're a Google operation now.

It's a big deal that these things aren't tethered to a power source anymore.

Excited what this is going to look like in the next 5 to 10 years...and scared shitless at the same time.

How long before one of these things is racing a F1 car or MotoGP bike?
i bet they are weaponised before we see them in F1 cars...

Austin_F

BAMF+
Speaking to LS point, I read the hardest thing for a computer to do, that even the dumbest human can do, is recognize objects in a room the instant they walk in.

Speaking to LS point, I read the hardest thing for a computer to do, that even the dumbest human can do, is recognize objects in a room the instant they walk in.
Not to argue, but I would think that with even the most basic software (no pun intended) it would be a simple task for a CPU to process objects by shape, size, and location. Even depth of field and dimensions could be quickly calculated using lasers, no? Obviously I'm not versed on such things, but going from what can be seen with facial recognition, self driving cars and the like it wouldn't seem too difficult for an android to be aware of its surroundings.

i bet they are weaponised before we see them in F1 cars...
Kind of my point in posting the pic of "Chappie". I don't see that reality being too far away... besides, doesn't Yamaha already have an motorcycle riding robot that could probably out ride any of us?

Austin_F

BAMF+
Not to argue, but I would think that with even the most basic software (no pun intended) it would be a simple task for a CPU to process objects by shape, size, and location. Even depth of field and dimensions could be quickly calculated using lasers, no? Obviously I'm not versed on such things, but going from what can be seen with facial recognition, self driving cars and the like it wouldn't seem too difficult for an android to be aware of its surroundings.
That's what I was thinking when I read the article. But supposedly in order for a computer to recognize a chair or other item, it needs to have a preconceived notion of what a chair looks like. As we know, chairs can come in all shapes in sizes. No matter how goofy or avant gard a chair may get we will still know it's a chair immediately while it might throw a cpu for a loop (pun intended).

OP
luckystrike

luckystrike

Website
lemonparty.org
Oh hell no.

If you have some time to kill...

http://waitbutwhy.com/2015/01/artificial-intelligence-revolution-1.html

DaCat

BAMF
That's what I was thinking when I read the article. But supposedly in order for a computer to recognize a chair or other item, it needs to have a preconceived notion of what a chair looks like. As we know, chairs can come in all shapes in sizes. No matter how goofy or avant gard a chair may get we will still know it's a chair immediately while it might throw a cpu for a loop (pun intended).

Imaging systems can be quite complex, the firmware behind it even more so. With imaging systems light is critical. I would have to assume that the droid will most likely use IR lighting to enhance the image it is looking at. Focus is another issue as the imaging system has to adapt to field of view. Perhaps it even uses auto exposure to compensate for the amount of light coming back to the sensor (CCD?).

If I were to hazard a guess it most likely would need a laser scanner to calculate distance to objects and then the firmware will try differentiate by shape when comparing to its database. The distance sensors would also help it locate itself in an area.

The processing power within that box of tricks is amazing. The number of sensors it will use will be astounding.

For those who write code, imagine the number of lines required just to perform a simple function like clasp an object.

I am in awe! :cool: :up:

OP
luckystrike

luckystrike

Website
lemonparty.org
Based on what Tesla has in production in their passenger cars, and seeing that driverless Audi circulate COTA (or was it Willow) a few years ago, I'm convinced that a fully driverless & autonomous F1 car can solo lap the F1 circuits faster than any human driver, already today.

All it would take is money, a willing F1 team, then run a set of laps to collect data, crunch the data, optimize, and then let'er rip...

Austin_F

BAMF+
watching the video again, im betting the bot would normally put its hands out when pushed forward, instead of just faceplanting. Im guessing they programmed it for this test to show its ability to stand up even if it hits hard.

OP
luckystrike

luckystrike

Website
lemonparty.org
I noticed a code on the doors, boxes, walls. Similar to qr but looked more basic. I'm guessing it is reading those.
Good catch, although I didn't see any markings at all on the boxes that were stacked on the shelving.

Top Bottom