Unhappy Ford Bronco wants GT40 heads

Snail

BAMF. No. Really. As BAMF as they get.
Its usually the dominance of ignorance that defiles technical language.

They're nozzles.

OP
CZLoco

CZLoco

artist formerly known as quad destroyer and...
Tomorrow's the big day that I start tearing into it to replace the lower intake manifold gasket and other bits.

That reminds me, I should go and spray down some bolts with PB Blaster.
I've read that the two front & two rear bolts on these manifolds often break on removal.

Tomorrow's the big day that I start tearing into it to replace the lower intake manifold gasket and other bits.

That reminds me, I should go and spray down some bolts with PB Blaster.
I've read that the two front & two rear bolts on these manifolds often break on removal.
Because the end bolts aren't sealed from the water jackets. If regular coolant maintenance was done then you likely won't have much rust. Also happens to the 4 long water pump bolts that go all the way through the timing cover.

OP
CZLoco

CZLoco

That sounds like what I read, yeah!
I just pulled the air intake and plug wires off.
Hit the two front bolts on the intake with PB.
Ran out of PB Blaster. :dash2:
Three cans of it, all at 95% empty.
But none have the whatchamacolit to spray much more than a dribble anymore.
Gonna have to remove the upper intake to get a GOOD squirt of the PB onto the two rear lower manifold bolts.
I may end up using the general-use home depot camping sorta torch on the bolts before trying to break them lose.
Just to make sure they don't break off in any sort of inconvenient manner.

Terry_Schiavo

in transition as "ill fuK anything" lucystrike
dude pb blaster is fucking junk Atf/acetone is the best!! :fu: 2nd best... Kroil. you and every other hobbiest twirler... :rolleyes:

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
If the fuckers at the factory used anti-seize on known problem bolts, there would be no issue.

Sometimes smacking the shit out of a rusted bolt head with a hammer will help loosen them.

Snail

Back and forth on the wrench AFTER smacking the head, AFTER atf/acetone. Tighten a bit, loosen a bit...repeat and stop just before the bolt breaks.

OP
CZLoco

CZLoco

Good tips, thanks!

Not much progress yet.
Had a lower back spasm while putting on socks this am. Lol

Moving slower than usual now.

:fu: :fu: from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
I keep wanting to upgrade rat jeep but the jeep is running pretty good and I figure I should break some shit by using it then fix what is needed. I did find two rusted out brake lines in the rear near the shocks they are rubber with a metal tube between.. I'll replace them before they pop at an unwanted moment. Only 48 bucks and some brake fluid to replace.

BigGar

high on placebo
Back and forth on the wrench AFTER smacking the head, AFTER atf/acetone. Tighten a bit, loosen a bit...repeat and stop just before the bolt breaks.
Exactly. I worked for an old mechanic when I was a kid in Michigan, and I don't remember him breaking rusty bolts very often. He was a master with bleeder screws, which always fucking break off with that Michigan rust. He had really long wrenches for them. I'm talking a 5/16th that was 8-10 inches long. He'd always try to get it to move just a bit tighter before going counterclockwise. Worked like a charm.

BigGar

high on placebo
At least the gasket came off nicely and you're not going to have to scrape it for fucking ever before replacing!

OP
CZLoco

CZLoco

Ughhhhh the very first bolt.
I did first whack with hammer and tighten, then loo..... CRACK.

:fu: :fu: from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Master-Cylinder

Ughhhhh the very first bolt.
I did first whack with hammer and tighten, then loo..... CRACK.

:fu::fu: from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Here's a tip from someone who has removed plenty of broken bolts. Mostly 5mm mixture screws in carbs and a shit load of KZ900/1000 intake manifold bolts. I even made a drill jig for the KZ900/1000 bolt holes because so many people break them off and then come crawling in for help. Drill the bolt all the way out, and if you did it right, you can just run a tap thru the threads. DO NOT TRY TO USE AN EZ OUT, YOU BREAK THAT HARDENED THING OFF IN THERE AND YOU JUST MADE THE JOB 100 TIMES WORSE!. And if you monkey up the threads too much, Heli-Coil it.

If you center the pilot hole and gradually step up the drill bit size, you usually will get the bolt to back out before your bit fucks up the threads. The pilot hole is the important one.

Master-Cylinder

If you drill them out with a left handed drill bit, sometimes it'll fetch up just right and the broken part will back out.
I love it when the left hand trick works.:up: Breaking off a drill bit down in the hole is a bad as an EZ Out.

If you center the pilot hole and gradually step up the drill bit size, you usually will get the bolt to back out before your bit fucks up the threads. The pilot hole is the important one.
Centering the bit is easy but the part that fucks me up is getting the drill bit to drill straight through. Do you kinda eyeball it with very small bits and step up, so even if its slightly off center (off axis?), with enough material removed the bolt can come out?

Do you kinda eyeball it with very small bits and step up, so even if its slightly off center (off axis?), with enough material removed the bolt can come out?
That's how I do it. It's never perfect because I am not billetman or stites. But as you're taking material away, putting heat into it (simply by drilling), and spraying the shit out of it, what's left of the bolt always seems to break loose before the drill bit gets into the threads.

Master-Cylinder

You wanna take a drill bit the size of the hole, or maybe just slightly larger, and drill it a bit to get the center of the hole you're going to drill almost dead nuts on. And then, if you had a two inch ( or 1.5 inch) steel bar with a hole drilled thru it, and long enough to bolt to another manifold bolt hole, you'd have a guide to keep you straight. I've made a few in my time.

Master-Cylinder

By the way, have you sealed up those gaping intake holes before you drop a 10mm socket into one?
Working on a guys KTM who thought he dropped a bolt into the spark plug hole. So he stuck a magnet down into the hole and fished around, then broke the magnet off in the cylinder. The magnet then stuck itself onto the steel head gasket where it stayed until the head came off. IDIOT.

OP
CZLoco

CZLoco

I heard it break.
And the broken part does look fresh.
But my cell/camera isn't handy at the moment.
I promise to take a pic in the AM though.
It's a heartbreaking thing for me.

I still have more bolts to go.
But this could quite possibly mean I need to remove the heads.
And if I do, then that means I need to spend some cash at the machine shop.

Plenty of that bolt left in the head, from what I remember those bolts are like 2 1/4 long. The shanks get thinner when they rust away. Pull the intake off and see what's left before you get all doom and gloom.

See if I ever post on a broken bolt thread again!
I haven't had to fuck with drilling out busted bolts for at least a couple years. Until now. I posted about it last night... broke one off tonight. I just snapped off a brass sending unit in the side of an engine block. :fu::screama::fu: :dash2:
What a fucking nightmare this Bravada has been, and I'm just getting started. The good news is it's brass. The other good news is that it's not corroded in place. It's brand new, and I broke the fucker while installing it.
It started out being a two-hour thermostat replacement and went downhill big-time from there. Fuck, I hate life sometimes. I think it's gonna need a head gasket too before it's all said and done. :cool::fu:

BigGar

high on placebo
What did you give Hapo for the Bravada, a small beating? Whatever it was, it was too much! At least a sending unit should have a nice hole, right through the middle of it so you can jam a fukin' Easy-out in there and break it off too.

What did you give Hapo for the Bravada, a small beating? Whatever it was, it was too much! At least a sending unit should have a nice hole, right through the middle of it so you can jam a fukin' Easy-out in there and break it off too.
There was a running joke that Hapo gave his Bravada to me.
But I ended up buying one locally a month ago. The seller seemed a little shady, and I had some concerns about whether or not he was forthcoming about known issues. It's an '02, and it's ridiculously clean. Virginia car, never been in salt. I absolutely hate wrenching on rusty shit piles (which is all you see in northeast Ohio), so I rolled the dice, knowing that it needed at least a few things.

Made the deal. Paid him. Then drove around with him to the title bureau and back to his house. By the time I dropped him off at his house, I knew enough about him that I was certain he had fucked me. But whatever... I can wrench... most parts are cheap, it's clean as fuck... eventually I will get it dialed in, or so I figured.
However, this whole deal has turned into a flaming pile of dogshit. Good chance I will spend more time wrenching on it than I ever will spend driving it.

Snail

I second whomever mentioned reverse twist drill bits. Yes, they're ALMOST as hard as an easy out, BUT THEYRE NOT TAPERED. The taper on the easy out adds pressure outwards wedging the broken tighter, a reverse twist drill bit is not tapered, consequently it doesnt impart the wedge action.

Snail

If you want to spend some frogskins on a neat tool Google mag drill.

Top Bottom