TWO TO THE LEFT

fish_antlers

BAMF+
Website
www.bikeland.org
Gas here in Grande Cache is $1.88 CDN/litre.

Rock strewn uphills are my downfall on the kaf.:hissyfit: The score stands at rocky uphills 2, tinhead 0.

6:00 AM MDT, temperature outside is 2.5° C. That's 36.5° F(armer). It's hard to get used to having enough light to distinguish colors at midnight and 4:00 AM. 3 more days until we reach Muncho Lake, "night" will be even shorter there.

Wait til you get to Vancouver. The price today is an eye watering 2.16 - last week it was 2.39. That most likely means it will be around 2.50 soon. It sawtooths its way higher and higher.

OP
tinhead

tinhead

Has never named a pet
It is now three to the left, time zone wise. Pink Mountain, British Columbia is in the Pacific time zone. I'll be zoned out completely in a few days when we hit Yukon territory, it's mountain standard time there 24/7/365. We didn't see much along The Alaska Highway, just a young elk. Sucky pic, yeah

We missed getting a pic at Mile 0 of the Alaska Highway thanks to crappy gps, by the time we realized we'd been routed around downtown Dawson Creek, we would have had to backtrack more than a dozen kilometers. Screw that.

The SIL and her hubby took some of the Old Alaska Highway, they saw a mountain lion and a marmot. There was a bridge being repaired so they had to u turn back to the main road

Gas is about a dime, fifteen cents per litre more expensive here in BC, $2.05-$2.15 CDN, we filled up at Costco back in Alberta for $1.74 CDN/l.

Went for a walk after the thunder/hailstorm, lots of mosquitoes. Wish the magpies would eat them all.

9:40 PTD now, sky is bright blue with fluffy clouds to the east, another dark storm/ maybe hail cloud is approaching from the west . The clouds come every night, very few stars to be seen even if I wanted to stay awake past midnight when it's dark enough to see stars

Last edited:

pimpslayer

HOLYBAMF
None will be left behind to keep the glaciers going, the expectation is that they will all vanish in eight more years.
That's what the News was parroting back in 2008, when I made my wife go with me on the Goldwing all the way to Glacier. I wanted to see the glacier before it was gone. 14 years ago....

Seems I'll have a few more years to see it before I'm gone.

(Maybe the Glacier Park is hyping it all up to increase their tourist visits. "See the glaciers before they're gone!! :lol: )

OP
tinhead

tinhead

Has never named a pet
Still at Muncho Lake. Still no cellphone service, still spotty slow internet so no pics. Laird hot springs are a nifty feature here in the far north.

Weather has been short sleeves and shorts, some thunderstorms around today

OP
tinhead

tinhead

Has never named a pet
Laird Hot Springs is an invigorating experience. That was the morning, afternoon was spent on the kaf, there are some nice off-road trails around here. 998 km on return, the 1000 km service was performed by yours truly.:up:

Then an 8 PM wildlife roadhunt on the kaw. Red squirrel, bighorn sheep, bison, a moose, and porcupines.

There was a kicker thrown in, we were headed to Watson Lake, Yukon tomorrow. The Alaska Highway is closed just south of the Yukon border. A culvert washed out, 2 days is the repair estimate. We'll wait it out, as the detour to Watson Lake is over 2000 km.:eek:

OP
tinhead

tinhead

Has never named a pet
Finally got a red squirrel pic after the 9 PM dip in the hot spring. The little bastards want all our food but don't want to see us.

Say hello to #3. This guy has a GPS collar and ear tag, doesn't seem to piss him off much.

OP
tinhead

tinhead

Has never named a pet
In the Yukon, Watson Lake. The Alaska Highway washout was repaired for traffic, there isn't ever a lot. This RV park has internet 30 minutes at a time. Progress happens slowly in The North.

OP
tinhead

tinhead

Has never named a pet
The plan to go up the Klondike Highway to Dawson City and then drop south to Tok in Alaska died thanks to road conditions. Presently in Johnson's Crossing at the north side of Teslin Lake, going to stay the night. There's a pretty bridge I might post a pic of someday.

Link to the washout story

OP
tinhead

tinhead

Has never named a pet
Haines Junction, Yukon, posting from wifey's fone. Because there's no internet. No credit card transactions, we had enough foresight to have enough cash (loonies) for gas and the campground. The story was it isn't caused by the George Soros globalist enslaving us, or soup stealing truckers bitching about having to show papers at the border. Just a careless construction crew that cut a cable.

The new wildlife spot yesterday were the wild horses kicking up some dust by the roadside.

OP
tinhead

tinhead

Has never named a pet
In Whitehorse, the Wal-Mart and grocery store trips took over two hours. Quantities rationed because of the recovery from the Alaska Highway closure, long lines because of the new cash only situation. Starbucks in Whitehorse closed up completely, they can't survive without yuppies paying by fone. Their business model needs internet.:hang3:

OP
tinhead

tinhead

Has never named a pet
The Alaska Highway from Destruction Bay to the Alaska border is absolute crap. 👺 What isn't potholed pavement (2 meter diameter potholes😱) is dirt with 2 inch washboard. Less than 25kph stretches for minutes on end.

We were damn happy to see this.

Wretch

amazingly graceful
Wait until you meet the ravens more in the interior of the state.

They are more characters than the crows we have down here.

Snail

BAMF. No. Really. As BAMF as they get.
It's magic how a crow, or raven can turn into an ink spot in the sky when shot with a 3000 fps hollow point.

Snail

Both species are detrimental egg eating song bird killing nuisance birds.

The knock down swallow nests and eat the fledgling babies. I like swallows, I have thirty swallow nests inside the overhangs on my shop.

Thats why. Yesterday I found three nests broken with one baby struggling, and dying.

Hapo

Dog Boy
...some people would be killing/eliminating the swallows...just sayin'...

...some air gun guys make a living at it...

Snail

Don't fuck with my swallows. I have two types, Barn and Cliff. In the spring I run a hose on loosened clay soil for their nests. They come by the hundreds (seriously) every year.

Snail

There aren't crows around my place, they prefer urban environment. The ravens attack the swallow nests and take flight with a swarm of swallows in pursuit. The swallows try.

Like Kirk guarding the sheep, Boomer Homophobic guards the swallows.

Top Bottom