TSLA: Buy It Now

OP
Dameon

Dameon

BAMF+
Website
TurboHayabusa.org
Couple of notes on TSLA...

1) Sounds like they expect something viable soon on the new battery technology that help spur the Tesla purchase of Maxwell last year. Of course, in typical Tesla fashion, there's always an announcement around the corner.

2) Do you think Elon's had enough of CA's bullshit? Likely target could be TX.

Discuss.

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
they are making a big deal out of the battery day announcement.

If they can develop more efficiant storage their power company side will certainly be a more interesting component.

as for anyone running a business in Cali, all the have to do is look at what one of the politicians tweeted saying Fuck Musk....if he were entering the state illegally he be treated better. Moving to Texas sounds good. Not sure how serious he is about closing the Fremont plant though.

OP
Dameon

Dameon

BAMF+
Website
TurboHayabusa.org
If they can develop more efficiant storage their power company side will certainly be a more interesting component.
It's hard to put a finger on what direction the industry will take. One side of the debate is on the development of new technologies... metals, fluids (or solids), manufacturing methods, cost. The other side is dissecting the best we have, lithium ion, and figuring out the weak points and addressing them. Most likely is the future will be a combination of both sides and the cheaper solution being the market winner.

Moving to Texas sounds good. Not sure how serious he is about closing the Fremont plant though.
Wouldn't be the first, or last, company to move from CA to TX. He would do good to leave Fremont in place (at least for now) and let it concentrate on S and X platform production. Let TX concentrate on 3 and Y platform production. Maybe an R&D wing for the Cybertruck.

OP
Dameon

Dameon

BAMF+
Website
TurboHayabusa.org
That would be a feasible spot for a couple reasons... proximity to their current operations and lots of cheap land. Bonus that he could build a hell of a solar farm and likely reduce/eliminate electrical operating costs.

I'd like to see TX because it's "around the corner" from me.

MY GOD! The Governor here in Texas is sending the Reefer Huffer Tweets! Telling him he can save money here! Fricking Idiot! Will bring all of that Liberal Kali Scum here to ruin our way of life further! We already have enough! Please go to Nevada or stay in Kali!

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
Musk tweeting about moving the Fremont plant is just frustration. The Texas plant is as far as I can tell going to happen regardless, they were calling it the Terrafactory I believe.

Tesla leaving California would be costly for the company. Instead of leaving outright maybe just scaling to local markets instead. Theres a balance there somewhere.

California's response will probably be similar to the one counsel woman from Sandy Eggo.

Musk tweeting about moving the Fremont plant is just frustration. The Texas plant is as far as I can tell going to happen regardless, they were calling it the Terrafactory I believe.

Tesla leaving California would be costly for the company. Instead of leaving outright maybe just scaling to local markets instead. Theres a balance there somewhere.

California's response will probably be similar to the one counsel woman from Sandy Eggo.
It is all about the Taxes! Hope the nut job stays there. He was stupid to build and base out of Kali anyway. Manufacturing is leaving that State like a dose of the Clap! Cannot blame them one bit.

Vegas12

BAMF+
It is all about the Taxes! Hope the nut job stays there. He was stupid to build and base out of Kali anyway. Manufacturing is leaving that State like a dose of the Clap! Cannot blame them one bit.

The Nummi plant in question was the former GM/Toyota plant.

I figured Mr Know-it-all would have schooled us on that.

CZLoco

artist formerly known as quad destroyer and...
2) Do you think Elon's had enough of CA's bullshit? Likely target could be TX.
A local friend (who has friends in high places) just posted on FB a few minutes ago that Tesla just purchased land about 15 minutes north of me.
Looks like the Cybertruck may be a Texas truck if this is true. :up:

CZLoco

Dameon, you wouldn't happen to know anything about what Enterprise infrastructure Tesla runs?
Windows, VMware, brand of preferred hardware, etc?

OP
Dameon

Dameon

BAMF+
Website
TurboHayabusa.org
Dameon, you wouldn't happen to know anything about what Enterprise infrastructure Tesla runs?
Windows, VMware, brand of preferred hardware, etc?
Funny you should ask... I've never been able to nail down Tesla's infrastructure. I've made some general inquiries to folks who might know and I get a variety of responses. I haven't pursued it beyond that.

If I had to guess, it's likely a Linux-based environment and almost certainly runs under a hypervisor, but probably not any of the "big names". I've also heard murmurings that AWS is a big part of their infrastructure which isn't surprising.

I know the gigafactory had a data center as part of the plans, but not sure if/when/what became of that. Almost certainly, like the actual car, there are discrete networks (maybe even data centers) for the critical functions vs. public functions. The car runs Linux and I develop most of my API calls from a Linux server (just because that's what I prefer).

CZLoco

Interesting. Maybe they don't have all their eggs in one basket then.
Just heard back, the land purchase is between Round Rock and Jarrell.
Somewhere along the blue strip in the pic.

If I ever buy another vehicle, it'll be a second vehicle alongside the Bronco.
And it'll be electric. And years from now.

OP
Dameon

Dameon

BAMF+
Website
TurboHayabusa.org
Interesting. Maybe they don't have all their eggs in one basket then.
Yeah, that would be unlikely. I wouldn't be that surprised if everything was Lambda microservices that build and tear down on use... all writing to S3 buckets and then replicate across regions. Distributed is the way to go.

Just heard back, the land purchase is between Round Rock and Jarrell.
Also no big surprise. I figured it would be around Austin and I figured it would be North (cheaper land than South). There are some big technology data centers in that area... Dell, Home Depot and IBM to name a few. I've been to those three and they are incredible.

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
Okay, this thread is derailing. Back on course...

TSLA closed at $819 today, up almost $40 in one day.

I have a sell bid at $900 and a buy bid at $600. Let's see what hits first.
that 900 sell is looking like its on the horizon.

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
several of the bigger houses who had a sell rating on TSLA upgraded to "meh" rating

OP
Dameon

Dameon

BAMF+
Website
TurboHayabusa.org
Could also be the new battery announcement yesterday... although not Tesla specific.

OP
Dameon

Dameon

BAMF+
Website
TurboHayabusa.org
you still have a long position no?
Yes I do. I'll likely keep those shares until my near end days... or I see the company running towards failure.

I assume you aren't referring to the text book definition of long position, which is of course an options call. I don't play with options any more. I akin that to leasing a car vs. buying. They each have their advantages and disadvantages.

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
yes I didn't mean long as an option play. I use it as long on the equity. Options can still be a good tool, you could have sold a couple of June 900 calls, made a little bit of money, been called out (which seldom happens) and still go your 900. The June 900 call's are going for $55 as of the close of today. Just lunch money bit still.

OP
Dameon

Dameon

BAMF+
Website
TurboHayabusa.org
Options can still be a good tool, you could have sold a couple of June 900 calls, made a little bit of money, been called out (which seldom happens) and still go your 900. The June 900 call's are going for $55 as of the close of today. Just lunch money bit still.
This is all lunch money for me... :lol: Although the last sale might account for a few lunches.

I check myself weekly about getting back into options. It boils down to how much time do I want to put into the stock trading effort. The desire waxes and wanes. I'm on a wane right now as I have got to get my shop in order. Year after year goes by and the shop isn't emptying... in fact, just the opposite. It's a constant battle to literally get the overhead door closed. Crap is stacked up to the door.

On a related note, I'm going to be putting ALL my excess Dell hardware on eBay. Dozens of 9th gen rack servers, dozens of 9th gen blade servers, parts, pieces, racks if desired. One bid takes it all. Bring a 24' Uhaul. It's a shitload of stuff. Anyone need a data center build out?

Once the server stuff is out of my way, the arcade games get another thin out. This time I'm only keeping the best of my favorites. Anything sit in stays... Turbo, Discs of Tron, Spy Hunter, Sinistar. Popular favorite stay... Galaga, Ms. Pac-Man, Tron and a couple of nicer MAME cabinets (one vertical, one horizontal). All the pinballs stay.

Anyway, back on topic: TSLA opened weak to yesterday's close. Staying in the $900's though.

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
buying puts and calls and selling them for a profit, leaving all the many, many strategies aside, takes a lot of work as mentioned. It's a job and a high risk one at that.

If you are going to sell a stock anyway, writing a call or two, while being a little more work, is easy money. For a guy like you, a couple hundred bucks in what, 5 minutes on the key board? Still I do understand your hesitation.

Selling time while the sand is running out of the glass is not easy.

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
people are funny about round numbers, looks like around 10am there was the first fill at 1000, then a slew of sales, guessing they were limit orders, after that for about 5 minutes with some of the higher volume. TSLA didn't follow the broader market during that time.

OP
Dameon

Dameon

BAMF+
Website
TurboHayabusa.org
looks like around 10am there was the first fill at 1000
Noticed that at 10:05am... the more interesting effect was the 10 point slide at 1:20pm.

I'm starting to put micro-entries (hourly) in my spreadsheet just for TSLA. I typically use 4 hour entries. Mainly because keeping up with hourly updates would be unwieldy and "normal" stocks don't fluctuate much in 4 hours (unless they get on a run or a slide). Trending is difficult because of the emotional response of TSLA traders.

Negative news of the COVID positive tests on his CA employees after he forced the reopening. That didn't seem to cause a down trend at all. Surprising what causes dips and rises. :roll:

OP
Dameon

Dameon

BAMF+
Website
TurboHayabusa.org
$1087.69 :eyepopping1a:

I sold 100 shares at $1020 just to get some realized gains from this rollercoaster. I'm waiting for my chance to buy back in at 3 digits... I'm starting to get concerned that I won't get back in at three digits and, if so, it won't make it back to four. There are a lot of players entering the market in the next year or two. Tesla isn't going anywhere, but they likely won't be the vast dips and spikes it has been. You can already see the symbol leveling out. Day traders everywhere are sad...

My next hope is dividends on TSLA.

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
I'd be fine with Tesla becoming a more stable security.

to get in on starlink.....that would be interesting. But he'll most likely not go public from the sound of it

OP
Dameon

Dameon

BAMF+
Website
TurboHayabusa.org
I'd be fine with Tesla becoming a more stable security.
Ditto. I had my fun.

to get in on starlink.....that would be interesting. But he'll most likely not go public from the sound of it
I'm really pushing to get in on the beta. I hope Tinny doesn't steal my spot!

The ISP market is pretty crowded and low margins. I'm not sure Starlink is a sound business decision, but it is a necessary conduit to allow a decent means of Internet "wherever you are".

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
their military applications might keep them well funded. It would not be surprising to see all major airlines start to equip their aircraft with SL. The receiver not really being pocket sized is a draw back but this probably a matter of time.

Top Bottom