Triumph Rocket 3

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
Man, repaired a lot of those trans back in the day. I'm sure they are good now. The are just so big and heavy.

whipit1K

BAMF
Man, repaired a lot of those trans back in the day. I'm sure they are good now. The are just so big and heavy.
The new model is nipped and tucked to perfection. Makes the first gen look like a bloated dead walrus. I was just at the dealer an hour ago admiring the beautiful limited edition model. It is apparently ridiculous to ride . Triumph mentions 160HP 160 ft/lb

I hate feet forward bikes, and would much rather have the R version

This one guy used to bring me one that the differential side wheel bearing kept going out. We thought it was from his constant rain riding but they use some puny ass bearing on that side. Finally one let loose and screwed up his wheel so we machined it to take a larger bearing and I never saw him again for that problem.

Z

BAMF+
Dere,,,,, pretty proud :eek: of em... :wink2:

Austin_F

BAMF+
The new one is actually awesome. It is an odd bike but that is what gets me going these days, and by all accounts it is an absolute tire scorching , arm straightening riot to rideView attachment 53642
Damn that's a good looking bike.

If I hit the megamillions I'm getting one for myself and one for each of you clowns.

(the preceding is hyperbole and not a legally binding offer)

Oh, and becareful adjusting the valves on them. Loosen the cam caps and spin to where they want to stop.
The 3 cylinder Triumphs are difficult because there's always valve spring pressure on the cams. I remember there being a position other than TDC compression on #1 to remove the cams according to the service manual. I think it was TDC exhaust on #1 if I remember right.

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
The 3 cylinder Triumphs are difficult because there's always valve spring pressure on the cams. I remember there being a position other than TDC compression on #1 to remove the cams according to the service manual. I think it was TDC exhaust on #1 if I remember right.
I have the factory cam holder, but it could be better.

C. Dolan

BAMF+
Dere,,,,, pretty proud :eek: of em... :wink2:

Mine was $ 1500 cheaper OTD from Inglewood, Ca.
May end up with even a greater spread.
On top of $ 22,000 ( or close ) They ( ebay ad ) will have about another $ 2000 in tax, lic, etc. if reg in Cali.
My dealer had a cheap bait ad in Cycle Trader.
With garbage fees and stuff they were at $ 22,000 OTD.
I offered $ 20,000 , they countered at $ 20,500 , so I said " Close enough . "

Bait Ad:

Last edited:

whipit1K

BAMF
This purports to be a 2020 R model with ECU tuning only. I suppose the hand written notes at various RPM's show the gist of the tuning?141478177_1598223730567430_7484017579159577578_o.jpg

NORTY

BAMF
This purports to be a 2020 R model with ECU tuning only. I suppose the hand written notes at various RPM's show the gist of the tuning?View attachment 53706
Based on the AFR's shown here, either that's the "unmolested" tune, or the tech knows nothing. I see a lot left on the table, based on the tune, here. That's even too fat using ethanol laden juice.

2wdw up near Seattle tuned one up with a cat delete and some slash cuts and got 170hp on their dyno and some obscene torque number, triumph now understands chassis dynamics, something they never grasped until their venture into moto2, but this thing actually handles now, sure the weight is what it is, she’s not gonna transition from peg to peg like a middleweight but you can run it hard into corners and use that grunt to slingshot you out, once you get the whole thing figured out it’s an absolute riot. I would take it over the diavel or vmax or any Harley.

Different animals to me, I havent ridden the newest 1260 diavel but I suspect it's much like the last one, I do know the 1260 motor from the multistrada enduro which was unimpressive compared to my derestricted and tuned 1301 KTM twin, the rocket is more rewarding to ride for me, the diavel is still kind of a supernaked with a real fucked up riding position and mid controls whereas the rocket is it's own category, nothing else is what it is, I'd have way more time on one but my buddy that had it quickly traded it off for a 21 GSA with all the options, he found the sheer mass of the bike intimidating.

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
Dynamic? Put a bunch of cash into my V max it was a fast bike after I was done. But at the Dragon it was out of it element and my Foreign UN security buddies had the last laugh on the dual sports on me trying to keep up. Hence why I built the KTM the following year. That weight transition sucked the fun out of the bike. Just my two cents on a heavy straight-line bike.

Top Bottom