trackday car

For $20-50k, you can get an older vette and/or carrera. c5-c7 are durable and great to drive. Carreras are known to be durable among trackers and racers. I ran both for years and couldn't have been happier. Instructors were happy with them too. Ex ran a race miata. Pick one up also -- quite fun! All are easily serviceable.

VFR Rider

BAMF
A 911 GT3 would be hard to beat. I have driven it more than once and it is absolutely amazing. The PDK is brilliant. After experiencing the speed and accuracy of the upshifts and downshifts there is no way I would opt for a manual in that car......no fucking way. In some corners you can actually feel the rear wheel steering and it works well, but is very subtle. I was able to hustle the thing down one of my favorite twisty roads in a manner I never thought possible. I was amazed that the owner encouraged me to drive it so fast. I was laughing out loud at just how much cornering grip there was and how early I was able to get the power down off the apex.

The object of my lust however is the Cayman GT4.

Vegas12

BAMF+
Your choice on the mustang and title are not symbiotic...(probably the wrong word, just wanted to use it)

The bullitt is mostly trim with, I think an intake, more money for basically the name, color and a fee badges.

School me on what happens when a street legal track car gets wadded up on the track.

I'm "guessing" if you're not in an actual sanctioned contest you're ok????

But in a race I'd imagine you're SOL..

Only reason I'm axing is the big if....

Fun thread, but I think it boils down to budget really.....something you and I(lol!!) don't have to worry about.

Last edited:

Qwik

High Altitude BAMF
Website
www.LABusas.org
Your choice on the mustang and title are not symbiotic...(probably the wrong word, just wanted to use it)

The bullet is mostly trim with, I think an intake, more money for basically the name, color and a fee badges.

School me on what happens when a street legal track car gets wadded up on the track.

Fun thread, but I think it boils down to budget really.....something you and I(lol!!) don't have to worry about.
That is what My Ins Co said about the TL1R. As long as it’s not a competition event it is covered.

OP
maui

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem

The bullet is mostly trim with, I think an intake, more money for basically the name, color and a fee badges.

Pretty sure that if you're at a "school" you're still covered.

The reason I looked at the Bullet version was for the manual transmission and V8. I dont have any other attachment there. Plus I wouldn't feel horrible about "wadding it up"

The reason I started this thread is because theres a lot of people here with a lot more background then I have. Theres been some really good comments and my position is evolving.

Vegas12

BAMF+
Pretty sure that if you're at a "school" you're still covered.

The reason I looked at the Bullet version was for the manual transmission and V8. I dont have any other attachment there. Plus I wouldn't feel horrible about "wadding it up"

The reason I started this thread is because theres a lot of people here with a lot more background then I have. Theres been some really good comments and my position is evolving.
The plain old mustang GT fits your needs without the Bullitt surcharge....

luckystrike

he/him - Chief Diversity and Inclusion Officer
Website
lemonparty.org
A 911 GT3 would be hard to beat. I have driven it more than once and it is absolutely amazing. The PDK is brilliant. After experiencing the speed and accuracy of the upshifts and downshifts there is no way I would opt for a manual in that car......no fucking way. In some corners you can actually feel the rear wheel steering and it works well, but is very subtle. I was able to hustle the thing down one of my favorite twisty roads in a manner I never thought possible. I was amazed that the owner encouraged me to drive it so fast. I was laughing out loud at just how much cornering grip there was and how early I was able to get the power down off the apex.

The object of my lust however is the Cayman GT4.
Yah I hear the PDK is great when you just have to get a manicure and hair frost while driving

Stites

Schiavo is my bitch
AFLAC pays me 25% more if it is a sanctioned event.

I love the idea of doing track days in cars, sadly it's way off in the distance for me......I will root for Jeff and encourage to spend money, buy parts and burn rubber and gas.

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
Nothing cheap about tracking a car even for fun..

I have spare rims and tires I used for track days. That is a hit depending on which rim choice you go with . Brakes get eaten up on this heavy land yacht I try to push through the turns. I have replaced all the stock cooling so heat soak isn't an issue. The rabbit hole is deep chasing speed. But outside of that I haven't broken anything else now that the fueling cooling and related valve train was upgraded.. oh I do remove the carbon front spliter and put on a non carbon spliter.

I'm in this car for well over 6 figures .. but you can get a NEW base model with Carbon brakes for under 6 figures ..change out to cup 2 tires and you have a fun car.

Or you can go the M4 route.

Stuman

smoothly disappears
Website
www.stumanrides.com
I guess it depends on what you mean by track car and what your priorities are....

I know a few people that own Mustang race cars. Some race and some just use them for track days. They all love them and say they are a ton of fun. I think if you are not going to drive the car on the street at all and will trailer it or store it at the track your best bet would be a used race car. Like a Mustang, 370z, Camaro or Corvette. My friend had a Miata race race car but sold it because it was just too slow, he had a really hard time with traffic at track days. He ended up with a 370z race car and is way happier.

If you want a street car that you can take to the track then I think it depends on how much money you want to spend. One of the guys I used to race bikes with just got a Mclaren and is traveling around the country doing track days with it. It is costing him a fortune in parts and maintenance but he is having a great time. Or you could get a newer Camaro ZL1 1LE (or z28), Mustang GT350R, or C7 Corvette Grand Sport if you want something fun that won't cost you a fortune to run.

If I was going the cubic dollars route I think I would go with something mid engine and exotic. I'm sure the P-Cars are superfast, but for me I would get more excited about a Lambo, Ferrari, McLaren, or maybe an AMG GTR Black.

I've done a bunch of track days in my old Camaro SS, Z06 and my current AMG GTs. At this point I'm over it. I won't be taking my AMG to the track again. Track days in a car beat the living fuck out of your car. It seems to me that cars just don't hold up to that abuse as well as a sportbike. Riding bikes on the track is way more fun to me and way less expensive. Maybe when I can't physically ride bikes fast anymore I'll think about doing car track days again.

VFR Rider

BAMF
Yah I hear the PDK is great when you just have to get a manicure and hair frost while driving
I have no idea as I have never had a manicure or a hair frost.........but I will take your word for it.

You are a clueless, spineless little keyboard punk. I am pretty sure you have never driven any Porsche with the PDK. Your sad devotion to that piece of shit RX7 is laughable.

OP
maui

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
I guess it depends on what you mean by track car and what your priorities are....

to be a better motorcycle rider, not really interested in being a better car driver but its a by product I guess

I know a few people that own Mustang race cars. Some race and some just use them for track days. They all love them and say they are a ton of fun. I think if you are not going to drive the car on the street at all and will trailer it or store it at the track your best bet would be a used race car. Like a Mustang, 370z, Camaro or Corvette. My friend had a Miata race race car but sold it because it was just too slow, he had a really hard time with traffic at track days. He ended up with a 370z race car and is way happier.

It would bascially live at Thunderhill and pretty much exclusively get used there.

If you want a street car that you can take to the track then I think it depends on how much money you want to spend. One of the guys I used to race bikes with just got a Mclaren and is traveling around the country doing track days with it. It is costing him a fortune in parts and maintenance but he is having a great time. Or you could get a newer Camaro ZL1 1LE (or z28), Mustang GT350R, or C7 Corvette Grand Sport if you want something fun that won't cost you a fortune to run.

I think as far as street cars go, its a bad mix. Better to have a specific purpose

If I was going the cubic dollars route I think I would go with something mid engine and exotic. I'm sure the P-Cars are superfast, but for me I would get more excited about a Lambo, Ferrari, McLaren, or maybe an AMG GTR Black.

A Lamborghini Huracan would be fucking epic

I've done a bunch of track days in my old Camaro SS, Z06 and my current AMG GTs. At this point I'm over it. I won't be taking my AMG to the track again. Track days in a car beat the living fuck out of your car. It seems to me that cars just don't hold up to that abuse as well as a sportbike. Riding bikes on the track is way more fun to me and way less expensive. Maybe when I can't physically ride bikes fast anymore I'll think about doing car track days again.

Why I think a dedicated track car is best.

OP
maui

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
Find a used one in the $80k range and slay everything…View attachment 84026
I really like those cars but the track is gonna really make it look old quick I think. Better off having something not as nice probably. Hence the base model type car. Still thinking a good route is to buy someone else's car thats reducing their fun level.

Stuman

smoothly disappears
Website
www.stumanrides.com
I don't know that learning how to drive better would be a big help in learning how to ride better.

Driving a car and riding a motorcycle are two very different things. The physics are very different. Driving cars can give you some pretty bad habits on a bike and a lot of what you do on a bike can be pretty bad when you are driving a car.

I learned a lot when I went to the Ron Fellows driving school. A lot of the things I struggled with there had to do with my background riding bikes. On a bike I turn in aggressively and all at once, I don't add lean angle later in the corner as I want to get on the gas early. In a car you want to turn in more gradually, let the car set, then maybe add more steering later in the corner. Also you don't want to get on the gas too early in a car as it will run wide on the exit. These are just a couple examples...

JMO if you want to ride better, than just keep working on riding. I don't think driving will help you improve your riding much.

A quick overview of the Circle of Friction (there are other names):

There is only 1 optimal line around a track for every vehicle.

Let's say the coefficient of friction of tires is 1.0. (In reality, good tires are somewhat higher, but 1.0 is easier to discuss.)

So a 400lb bike can corner with a force of 400lbs towards the inside of the turn. With a 175lb rider, the force can be 400+175 = 575lbs maximum cornering force.

A 3500lb car, can accelerate or brake, (or corner) with a maximum force of 3500lbs. Add 175lb driver and instructor, 3850lbs is the highest force the car can move on track in any direction.

If the car has more power/torque than the 3850lbs, tires spin. Braking with a force exceeding 3850lbs, or 1g, slides the tire.

So on a straight accelerating, 1g max acceleration. On braking in a straight line, 1g, max braking. Max cornering force? 1g.

Everything in between these 3 maxes, is a combination of accelerating and turning, or braking and turning (trail braking).

The max performance of the vehicle is when all the above, in every moment, 1g in total forces is maintained.

A couple LABusians have cars with accelerometer recording forces, i.e. performance recorder, and have posted their runs.

Lapping a track the optimal way, their graph of forces around the track, will be a circle at 1g in all directions. X-axis is left and right, Y-axis is accelerate/ brake. A "perfect" circle.

Running both motorcycles and cars is like cross-training. The lines are different, but the concepts and skills are the same.

OP
maui

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
I don't know that learning how to drive better would be a big help in learning how to ride better.

Driving a car and riding a motorcycle are two very different things. The physics are very different. Driving cars can give you some pretty bad habits on a bike and a lot of what you do on a bike can be pretty bad when you are driving a car.

I learned a lot when I went to the Ron Fellows driving school. A lot of the things I struggled with there had to do with my background riding bikes. On a bike I turn in aggressively and all at once, I don't add lean angle later in the corner as I want to get on the gas early. In a car you want to turn in more gradually, let the car set, then maybe add more steering later in the corner. Also you don't want to get on the gas too early in a car as it will run wide on the exit. These are just a couple examples...

JMO if you want to ride better, than just keep working on riding. I don't think driving will help you improve your riding much.

a couple weeks ago Ken Hill took me for a ride around Thunderhill. He drove, was talking about turn in points, braking, slowest part of the turn, using brakes for turning, stuff you already incorporate, I do as well though not with as much experience as you.

it was pretty interesting to say the least. After a couple of laps he stopped on turn 14, we talked for a bit and he asked to switch seats so that I could drive. He talked me through the track, hitting bike turn in points, braking and drive to. His comment was that because we're in the same place at the same time, he felt he gets way more direct communication and results. He said a lot of his coaching is in a car nowadays.

Yes two different animals for sure.

WarpSpeed

BAMF+
Screw the bourgeois euro shit. Chevette with an LS series V8 and a supercharger. Tie the chassis up with a 6 point cage, 4 wheel disc's, coil over shocks, etc.

Or more realistically, as others have chimed in, V8 Camaro or Mustang, over a Corvette Z06 due to a propensity for them to overheat when pushed (2 friends have them, regret making them track whores).

Wretch

amazingly graceful
I still think the Lotus Super 7 would be the ideal track dedicated four wheel machine.

Some reasonable out there too but I'm sure all would need to be brought up to you desired specs:

Top Bottom