trackday car

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
if you were going to track days in a car, not racing, just doing laps, having a good time, and sharpening your skills....what would you look for?

I've talked to a lot of people who take it seriously, they all say to stay away from forced induction and AWD as they just can't shed the heat.

One guy who does a lot of this stuff uses a 2020 SS Camaro, left the engine bone stock, and just did some minor suspension upgrades. Another guy I know said the Porsche GT3 is the slayer of most things before you start getting into open wheel cars (Having run an easy 1:51 at Thunderhill)

So the Camaro guy was into it for 38k

a GT3 you might have a zero on the back of that.

Both naturally aspirated, both 2wd. .

That said different people have different budgets.

so what would be the gold standard?

30-50k range Camaros and Mustangs...maybe a M2? Maybe a M3 with a couple years on it?

50-75k range, nicer German cars start showing up, even some higher model American stuff, Corvettes, etc?

75-100k range you're getting into some pretty fast stuff....cars that you dont want to trade paint with a fucking Miata maybe..?

Miata's being one of the most popular track dogs I see. You can get in them cheap, I think they have a hard time breaking 3 minutes at Thunderhill, but all things being equal, probably a lot of fun....buit still a Miata at the end of the day.

100-200K, some pretty serious shit here. Maybe starting to see some older GT3s, but I think for all intents this is in the "more money then brains" category for a dedicated track car. More like a beautiful car that you can take to the track, but you have to keep an eye on the kid in his dads Corvette who is gonna prove to you that he's as stupid as you thought.

200K+....really fast shit, you gotta just stay out of the suburbs with this price range. You ding one of these on the track, you netter have a lot of check book.

Me...I was looking at a basic Bullit edition Mustang as a possiblity, manual transmission, V8, etc. But I could also go for a M2 BMW, or a....?

dunno, bored today, trying to figure out more ways to get into trouble maybe or...maybe just bored?

Red

BAMF
Website
www.WestCoastSportbikes.oRg

How about an Arial Atom?
I think they're around 75.K maybe more.

gsxrian

BAMF
I go to Sebring quite a lot and see tons of modified C5 corvettes doing very well vs high dollar GT3RS etc....

For relatively cheap money you can go fast!

C5 Z06 - 2:18.61 (< $50k)

Mclaren P1 - 2:16 ($1 Million plus)

Ariel Atom - 2:24

Last edited:
OP
maui

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
How about an Arial Atom?
I think they're around 75.K
ridiculously fast and brutal car.

also a single seat.

One of the things to consider is having someone with more skill riding with you for coaching. I learned a few weeks ago what an incredible opportunity you get having someone who can push you in real time in the same space and time that you are both in.

LuxPride

BAMF
I'll long shot and say the Porsche Cayman GT4 might be the best all-around track days car. It's not going to blow the doors off a GT3 or a Camaro with $40k in bolt on's.

414 HP
4.2 0-60
189mph top speed

But it'll run all day without breaking shit and you'll get what you put into it back out. (which is as far as I'm concerned is just as important as top speed and HP)
Buy one today for $100,000, sell it 5 years later for $100,000

luckystrike

he/him - Chief Diversity and Inclusion Officer
Website
lemonparty.org
I'll long shot and say the Porsche Cayman GT4 might be the best all-around track days car. It's not going to blow the doors off a GT3 or a Camaro with $40k in bolt on's.

414 HP
4.2 0-60
189mph top speed

But it'll run all day without breaking shit and you'll get what you put into it back out. (which is as far as I'm concerned is just as important as top speed and HP)

View attachment 83997
PDK :fu: LOL

gsxrian

BAMF

414 HP
4.2 0-60
189mph top speed

View attachment 83997
I see more of them crash at Sebring than any other car!

luckystrike

Website
lemonparty.org
You gonna out row a stock PDK GT4 on a track day with your ancient stock RX-7 FD? :biggrin1a: :frEEk: bitch, please.
OP was talking about Miatas and having fun

Do you want to drive, or do you want to play video games?

Fuck your girly PDK

I'm also sensing an inclination towards Mustang in OP's post, in which case the GT350R is the way to go

luckystrike

Website
lemonparty.org
200K+....really fast shit, you gotta just stay out of the suburbs with this price range. You ding one of these on the track, you netter have a lot of check book.

Be prepared to mortgage your house every time the carbon ceramic discs need looking at

gsxrian

BAMF
I'd say "Get a car that you can walk away from."

Something like a early Miata. They don't eat tires like the V-8 cars. Easy on brakes too.
Mustangs/Camaros and the like, rely on HP to cut a decent time. Any prick can do that.
It's takes talent to close in on those V-8 cars when braking and in da turns.
Not on a 'Man sized' track like Sebring ..... Miata's are more for a girly 'Hot Wheels' track!

LuxPride

BAMF

Fuck your girly PDK

I'm also sensing an inclination towards Mustang in OP's post, in which case the GT350R is the way to go
I'm not hanging my hat on it being the best car of all time. All I'm saying is it's comfortable, quick, reliable, fun to drive day in and out, has a bit of exclusivity, it's not from the stone age, and you'll get your money back when you sell it. What do you want in a track day car?

I'd agree a GT350 R is solid even a Nissan GT-R would be fun.

Terry_Schiavo

ScrapBracket.org moderator and admins
II was thinking something like Rob had but more refined in the body dept. An older ZO6 could be had for 20ish and that would leave plenty of room for sundry spares like wheels and data stuff... and tars.

OP
maui

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem

Fuck your girly PDK

I'm partial to Mustangs, it was my first car, I've had lots of them.

But I'm also not a loyalist. There are lots of good cars out there.

As for Miatas and the like, I see them racing, they look like they're having a blast. One of the things I want to work on is turn in under braking. That means fast cars. Miatas are fun cars but not fast cars.

I"m still very much dedicated to learning race craft on a bike. I will always have bikes as my top spot. Racing a bike is so much more on so many different levels.

A track day car is actually to help my bike riding....oh yes it would also be a good venue for being a hooligan.

OP
maui

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
This thread deserves a revisit to my second favorite car to make an appearance on labusas: Robino's black Miata
supercharged, yes it was a fast little car. On a track however I think the blower heat is going to cost you.

I have also entertained the monster Miata variant, they race the shit out of those basically doing with the Miata what Shelby did with the AC. A Miata with an LS engine is a scary fast ride.

Brakes though. You can only stuff so much disc in a 14" (or what ever they have) wheel..

Fever500

BAMF
Fever500 also rolls with a very nice looking Miata
It's okay .. Sounds like Maui has already made up his mind about Miata's though 400whp in a 2k lb car is pretty fast in my book but what do I know?

Really though ... if you want something you don't have to wrench on and just go out and blast some fast laps .. the GT3 is your daddy.

OP
maui

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
It's okay .. Sounds like Maui has already made up his mind about Miata's though 400whp in a 2k lb car is pretty fast in my book but what do I know?

Really though ... if you want something you don't have to wrench on and just go out and blast some fast laps .. the GT3 is your daddy.
If the Miata had NA 400hp, then yes. Great car. Its a great car with a stock engine too. It's the biggest class of race cars where I go, there's tons of parts and support. None of them though are in the 400 hp range.

I'm looking for a specific type of training though. I just dont think I'm gonna get it with the Miata, I could be wrong, and would be grateful if anyone here can change my mind. Thats part of the reason I started this thread

OP
maui

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
keep in mind I still have this car and I'm not considering it for what I want to do. Quite the opposite of the Miata, all engine, no (very little) brakes. 84006

Fever500

BAMF
If the Miata had NA 400hp, then yes. Great car. Its a great car with a stock engine too. It's the biggest class of race cars where I go, there's tons of parts and support. None of them though are in the 400 hp range.

I'm looking for a specific type of training though. I just dont think I'm gonna get it with the Miata, I could be wrong, and would be grateful if anyone here can change my mind. Thats part of the reason I started this thread
Yeah stock they are not fast at all ... also need to change a lot of stuff once you start laying down more than 200hp.
but ..

Lots of guys have sorted out turbo Miata track day cars and actual race cars ... Here's a more extreme example that was up for sale last year for 25k ... it was a Rotrex blower but probably one of the better FI Miata race cars built and only around 300whp.

Fun starts 10 minutes in.

All that said ... NA LS swapped NB Miata would be my choice.

tinhead

Has never named a pet
It wipes out having a passenger, far cheaper than running street cars would be an out of favor SCCA C Sports Racer/ P1car. A quarter the weight of a streetcar, tires and brakes last far longer.

It won't be long until the MetaVerse replaces that instructor in a passenger seat with a beer can sized AI with an IMU and a headphone jack.

NORTY

BAMF
ridiculously fast and brutal car.

also a single seat.

One of the things to consider is having someone with more skill riding with you for coaching. I learned a few weeks ago what an incredible opportunity you get having someone who can push you in real time in the same space and time that you are both in.
The Aerial I drove had 2 seats.

LuxPride

BAMF
RX-7 FD

The purest driver's car ever made
I just gotta add, your choice is a 30-year-old platform with unobtainium parts, 67 vacuum hoses under the hood, and heat soak issues that would cripple the average track day driver. But at least it has a tape deck for your Boz Scaggs tunes. The RX-7 might be a great driver, but a great track car it isn't, especially after 30 years. A used Fiesta ST is a better track car in every way in today's world.

OP
maui

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
I just gotta add, your choice is a 30-year-old platform with unobtainium parts, 67 vacuum hoses under the hood, and heat soak issues that would cripple the average track day driver. But at least it has a tape deck for your Boz Scaggs tunes. The RX-7 might be a great driver, but a great track car it isn't, especially after 30 years. A used Fiesta ST is a better track car in every way in today's world.
I think if I was gonna go for a 30yr+ car I'd just go full vintage racer

luckystrike

Website
lemonparty.org
Yeah stock they are not fast at all ... also need to change a lot of stuff once you start laying down more than 200hp.
but ..

Lots of guys have sorted out turbo Miata track day cars and actual race cars ... Here's a more extreme example that was up for sale last year for 25k ... it was a Rotrex blower but probably one of the better FI Miata race cars built and only around 300whp.

Fun starts 10 minutes in.

All that said ... NA LS swapped NB Miata would be my choice.
Fun to watch

I was screaming at my screen for the optometrist in the #69 playstation car to get the fuck outta the way

luckystrike

Website
lemonparty.org
you shut your whore mouth now!

Top Bottom