TOP GUN PREVIEW....since we know his riding instructor

Vegas12

BAMF+
Yeah, they said I'd have to loose weight but I couldn't become shorter.

I showed you the Air Force/Navy physical requirements......

I do recall the colonel I mentioned before who was well over 6' tall and probably 250+ because the crew chiefs had to get the extended straps.

Do not recall the pilots being so below average height wise as you suggest.

Don't know what else to say.

Vegas12

BAMF+
I have a good friend who was a fighter pilot. He's average height and build, but pretty much stays in near Navy Seal physical condition, even now that he's long retired. He's been married for many years and doesn't fuck around on his wife, but I've never hung out with a guy that had whatever it is, pheromones, confidence, I don't fucking know, that attracts women. Jay's a decent looking guy but no movie star. Women literally embarrass themselves around him. It's like going someplace with a celebrity, and the guy is not trying to be anyone he's not or draw attention to himself. Just having a good time. They're stuffing their phone numbers into his pocket, elbowing other girls out of the way to get to him, it's just fucking silly.

True story:

We were on temporary duty assignment (TDY) when we grabbed an Air Force van to go off base.

Equal number of fighter pilots and enlisted.

I was fucking around when I said that we now have a better chance of getting laid hanging out with the pilots.....couple pilots laughed and said they were thinking they had a better chance hanging out with us.

Vegas12

BAMF+
well dang...google proves me wrong.

out of all the planes in the us military, the most prevalent one currently in service is the F16 with nearly 1000 total planes (across the active models). id have never guessed that. next closest is the f15 with 400 or so across all the models.

of course the next few closest at 300/200 range...are tankers and cargo planes =D
Probably close to 400 F22 and F35 jockeys in there too.

Vegas12

BAMF+
Back on topic..

There were just too many bullshit scenes/storylines in the original for me to enjoy it.

I did have a GPZ 900 though ......try being military and riding with no helmet or reflective vest . (I know, I know it was a fuckin' movie and god forbid you cover the midget's face)

LE05BUSA

GFY
The issue is torso length, not necessarily height. If you can't fit the T-6 (and ultimately, the T-38) you are SOL. Max sitting height for the T-6 is ~40" and if you want to be a fighter jock then you can knock 3-4" off that for the T-38. I climbed in the back seat of a F-4S when I was a teenager and there was no way in hell that was ever happening with a helmet on.

Austin_F

BAMF+
Blasphemy!!

The mighty F-15 Eagle has never been a Navy bird (nor has the F16)
*sigh*

You know, I came back to this thread finally this morning and reread my comment. Now that I've had some sleep I thought 'oh shit. I meant f14. I better edit this before anybody catches my blunder. No, I better see if anybody caught it before I make the changes. '

Sure enough. I was too late.

But still the jet in the picture should be an f14 if it has the mav name on it right?

luckystrike

Craves the dorito
Website
lemonparty.org
Long ago I watched a show about fighter jets and it claimed the ideal fighter jet pilot was on the small framed side and short

Something about being able to better cope with g forces and less likely to black out

Austin_F

BAMF+
yes, the super in the pic is the one used in filming the movie...its slated to now get a refurb and repaint to become the first superhornet in the blue angels.
Ah ok. Definitely makes more sense.

So is cruise saying in that video he actually flew the hornet himself for filming??

Never saw the original. Probably won't any time soon....but I'll watch this. Tom Cruise is one of those rare actors that can star in a movie and it's pretty much guaranteed not be a flaming pile of dog shit.

Guy has a pilot license, owns multiple jets, flies himself around...might even have a landing strip at his home. I know he learned to fly the copter for the latest MI movie, I'd be surprised if he DIDNT fly the jets in this movie. Guy's the real deal.

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
Cruise always came off to me as a gay Connecticut preppy.. just one of those guy I put in the gay/female category.

LE05BUSA

GFY
They retired the last F-14's in 2006...fuck Dick Cheney. He fucked the D model as SecDef, which had really transformed the aircraft into what it was supposed to have been almost 20 years earlier. Iran is the only country with flyable airframes now.

Austin_F

BAMF+
Never saw the original
Go ahead and watch it. The beginning is almost a documentary on carrier operations. Pretty good stuff.

The story isn't bad, the bar scene never did anything for me, but the flying...its worth the watch trust me.

Just dont let the amazing visuals of this trailer ruin it, top gun was 80s movie so of course its not going to look as stunning as the trailer.

Wretch

amazingly graceful
The are very few movies about modern military that I don't have to suspend two shitloads of disbelief on.
All of them you have to suspend some, at the very least some.

Vegas12

BAMF+
The are very few movies about modern military that I don't have to suspend two shitloads of disbelief on.
All of them you have to suspend some, at the very least some.
"Some" is subjective.

There were a lot of things in the original that bugged me, they are listed here.....but this guy is even more anal than me:

79 cringeworthy errors in 'Top Gun'

Wretch

amazingly graceful
"Some" is subjective.

There were a lot of things in the original that bugged me, they are listed here.....but this guy is even more anal than me:

79 cringeworthy errors in 'Top Gun'
I was having a brain fart.
It was supposed to say: All of them you have to suspend disbelief, at the very least some.

My editor must have been in the bathroom after I typed it.

Vegas12

BAMF+
I was having a brain fart.
It was supposed to say: All of them you have to suspend disbelief, at the very least some.

My editor must have been in the bathroom after I typed it.

I knew what you meant, and I agree.

Movies are entertainment, and some artistic license is to be expected.

Maybe it was just that this movie was so close to my time in the service and my time on the flight line.....or maybe it was that a midget was riding my bike!.....the movie was total shit IMHO.

I think I mentioned that the aerial footage was cool....maybe if I watch it with the sound off???

Wretch

amazingly graceful
The action scenes were pretty epic and I mean with the airplanes zipping about and not the "tiny man", as my daughter refers to him, strutting about.

I was there at Miramar, billeted right next to the Fighter Town USA hanger, for helo dunker training just before or after it came out as we had some over water missions come up and it was a good TDY trip.

F14 vs Tigersharks was bearable as it was doubtful we could have talked the Warsaw Pact to loan out a couple of planes for the movie and OPFOR wasn't going to share either.

Vegas12

BAMF+
The action scenes were pretty epic and I mean with the airplanes zipping about and not the "tiny man", as my daughter refers to him, strutting about.

I was there at Miramar, billeted right next to the Fighter Town USA hanger, for helo dunker training just before or after it came out as we had some over water missions come up and it was a good TDY trip.

F14 vs Tigersharks was bearable as it was doubtful we could have talked the Warsaw Pact to loan out a couple of planes for the movie and OPFOR wasn't going to share either.

You're correct regarding the F-5......don't know how good CGI was back then, but if they could have at least used a different aircraft during one of the scenes.

I guess the different paint jobs convinced enough of the viewers.

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
Some asshole came into the junkyard years ago saying he needed his "Top Gun" bike worked on. I axed him what the hell a "Top Gun" bike was. I followed him out to see an old clapped out 900 NinJunk sitting there! I correct him as to the model name.

Terry_Schiavo

in transition as lucystrike
Some asshole came into the junkyard years ago saying he needed his "Top Gun" bike worked on. I axed him what the hell a "Top Gun" bike was. I followed him out to see an old clapped out 900 NinJunk sitting there! I correct him as to the model name.
in the 80s when I had my first turbo... people would ask if its the TopGun bike :rolleyes: or make a comment that I should get a "pilot jacket"
OldTurbo2.jpg

Top Bottom