To XR or GS that is the question

Anyone have some cons or pros of each BMW? I've owned 2 BMW S 1000R and loved them.
Now I'm looking to try something new. I ride 99% on the pavement, but I might start doing dirt roads in North Ga. and western NC.
I have a 31 inch inseam. Possibly need the lowered version on either one.
Seems there's not much change in the XR model, but the GS through the years have made good changes, I've been told that the 2017 is
one of the best years, but the late 18's have TFT screens. Sorry for the bike thread , Help Please!

whipit1K

BAMF
any bike can do a little gravel roading, though the S1000XR really needs a radiator grille / guard type thing. Cant believe they have nothing from the factory. The new 21 S1000XR is pretty heavily revised, as is the 1250GS. are you talking about buying a used 1200GS?

RollieFree

BAMF
I have ridden many of them. Great bikes but also being a 31”, it’s kinda tall for my liking. I lowered one but it wasn’t a worthy trade off losing clearance and geometry change. It’s a great road bike but a pig on anything tougher than a graded dirt road. Same with all the big adventure bikes. I have a super Tenere now. Same thing only a lot cheaper. Works every bit as good as the GS.
RF

OP
Probably used, with hopefully some factory warranty left. I'm not scared of a used bike that has been serviced and kept nice.
Some of my riding buddies have XR's and they love them, like most peeps here, I have had tons of different bikes. I just wanted to try the Boxer motor, and I like the GS look!

tinhead

Has never named a pet
Rather odd bikes to compare straight up. You could buy three XR's instead of a giant tank of a BMW. And maintain all 3 and not spend what the bimmer costs to keep.

OP
Qwik, I’m not familiar with a X1, what is this you speak of? Tinhead, I’m talking about a BMW S1000XR

Top Bottom