Time to upgrade the old PC...

Austin_F

BAMF+
It's funny. A decade ago (or longer) Google and Amazon were hailed as amazing and Microsoft was the evil giant.

Now people are finally realizing why free doesn't mean what they think it means. And more people would rather pay for a Microsoft product rather than whore themselves out to Google.

I know a lot of people don't like Windows 10, and it's not my daily driver anymore. I only boot into it for school or games. But you can turn almost all the telemetry off, combined with using a local user instead of logging in with an MSN account and you are FAR better off than using Google.

luckystrike

he/him - Chief Diversity and Inclusion Officer
Website
lemonparty.org
It's funny. A decade ago (or longer) Google and Amazon were hailed as amazing and Microsoft was the evil giant.

Now people are finally realizing why free doesn't mean what they think it means. And more people would rather pay for a Microsoft product rather than whore themselves out to Google.

I know a lot of people don't like Windows 10, and it's not my daily driver anymore. I only boot into it for school or games. But you can turn almost all the telemetry off, combined with using a local user instead of logging in with an MSN account and you are FAR better off than using Google.
I'll take Win 10 over a Chromebook every time

It baffles me that people who've gone the Chromebook path have no problem with google being in complete control and ownership of their cyber existence

Truth

Busa Riding Old Bass
Just got an I9 build with a 3070...took forever because of the great gpu shortage.
It's no 3090, but it will run my games just fine🤗

Diablo 2 is getting revamped, to be released later this year, which is about when I'll have the free time to actually sit down and do some gaming.

I'm pumped.

Your Car Is Slow

HOLYBAMF
since yall are all into this...its about time for me to build a new desktop just to manage daily work (no gaming).

decent small scale chassis that will fit a modern video card with 3 usb/display ports for triple monitors? no need for a big honking desktop, just an ssd, power supply and vidcard with a ton of ram. do they even do the bare bones chassis stuff anymore? or do you have to pick and choose everything these days?

OP
rumble phish

rumble phish

BAMF+
man thats crazy...i totally figured newegg would have been left in the dust years ago.
Newegg has rolled with the changes fairly well. Their Ebay store has some deals on it that aren't advertised on their main site as well. I was able to pick up a couple of GPU's on their Ebay site that were showing out of stock on their main site (same price and shipping though).

OP
rumble phish

rumble phish

BAMF+
Ebay has also been a good place to pick up last gen (or earlier) components for cheap builds that'll still keep up.

Dameon

BAMF+
Man that mock up brings back some memories.

Half-Life: I'm actually just now playing through the Portal series. Highly recommended for those that like to think and reason out.

Under a Killing Moon: "High resolution" graphics with embedded flash movies. Innovative for it's time. Along with Dark Seed, 7th Guest.

Windows ME: Never ran it. Heard the hype and disappointment from the public and never risked it.

Bare hard drives, CD spindle, Mountain Dew cans (not a Coke drinker): All staples of my computer desk/room.

Commodore 64: Not really in this era. But maybe this guy, like me, had one laying around from his old start into computers.

Austin_F

BAMF+
For those of you running a z370 mobo, and live near a micro center, they are selling i9 9900k (k means unlocked) for $250. Normal price $700

If I lived near one I'd already have it. Still limping along with an i5.

OP
rumble phish

rumble phish

BAMF+
For those of you running a z370 mobo, and live near a micro center, they are selling i9 9900k (k means unlocked) for $250. Normal price $700

If I lived near one I'd already have it. Still limping along with an i5.
God damn you Austin! :hissyfit:

Thank God there's no Micro Center near me...

OP
rumble phish

rumble phish

BAMF+
I was/am a FPS fan (first person shooter). Doom, the Quake and Unreal series, Half-Life, Counter Strike, the original COD series (up to MW2), etc.. Right now I play a bit of Fortnite (fuck youse guys, it's fun and FREE) and Counter Strike: Global Offensive. I don't like games I have to invest a lot of time into. Get in, shoot'em up and get out. I take a few 10-15 minute "mental breaks" a day and they help me refocus and enjoy my day.

Austin_F

BAMF+
I was/am a FPS fan (first person shooter). Doom, the Quake and Unreal series, Half-Life, Counter Strike, the original COD series (up to MW2), etc.. Right now I play a bit of Fortnite (fuck youse guys, it's fun and FREE) and Counter Strike: Global Offensive. I don't like games I have to invest a lot of time into. Get in, shoot'em up and get out. I take a few 10-15 minute "mental breaks" a day and they help me refocus and enjoy my day.
Same list as me.

Except I played the shit out of Delta Force. It has a rank progression that was quite difficult and made you work for it.

Some of the early games I also enjoyed were duke nukem and Blood.

OP
rumble phish

rumble phish

BAMF+
Decided to part out the PC's instead of selling them as whole working units. Listed the video cards first (3 of them) on eBay about 20 minutes ago.

An Asus Phoenix GTX 1660 Super 6 GB
A Sapphire Radeon RX 580 Pulse 8 GB
and a Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro 4 GB.

Paid $240 for the 1660 when I bought it. Sold it 10 minutes after I listed it with a "buy it now" price of $400. I should have bought 10 of them!

Got multiple offers for the 580 in the first 5-10 minutes ranging from $200 to $350. I didn't list a "buy it now" price, but a couple just recently sold for over $500! WTF?! This GPU shortage is making folks a little crazy.

The 480 is almost as strong as the 580, but with 4 GB of memory it'll likely go for under $300. I'd be happy with anything over $200.

Austin_F

BAMF+
The miners must be using them again.

I'd like to find a 1060ti for cheap, that's all I need.

Top Bottom