Time to upgrade the old PC...

Dameon

BAMF+
Well, you'd be coming in right on the edge of a bit of a hardware revolution.
RP is on point. Today is not the best day to be upgrading... landscape changing drastically in the coming weeks/months.

You'd probably be able to build a very capable system from the ground up for far less than hat a box company could get you.
You might be surprised...
ALIENWARE AURORA RYZEN™ EDITION R10 GAMING DESKTOP
$3,189.99
  • AMD Ryzen™ 9 3950X
  • Windows 10 Home
  • NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 2080 Ti 11GB GDDR6 (OC Ready)
  • 32GB Dual Channel HyperX™ FURY DDR4 XMP at 2933MHz; up to 64GB
  • 1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD
This gets you all the sideline stuff... case, power supply, keyboard, mouse, OS, free shipping and a big one for me: compatibility testing across hardware components. Plus, one throat to choke for any issues. One call, that's all.

Stetson wants ease. This would give him that. I get his point: there can be some pain points building your own system. Yes, you save a few bucks, but he may not find it all that entertaining. I'm getting to that point myself. At one point, I wouldn't have even considered a boxed system, now I might.

OP
rumble phish

rumble phish

BAMF+
RP is on point. Today is not the best day to be upgrading... landscape changing drastically in the coming weeks/months.

You might be surprised...

This gets you all the sideline stuff... case, power supply, keyboard, mouse, OS, free shipping and a big one for me: compatibility testing across hardware components. Plus, one throat to choke for any issues. One call, that's all.

Stetson wants ease. This would give him that. I get his point: there can be some pain points building your own system. Yes, you save a few bucks, but he may not find it all that entertaining. I'm getting to that point myself. At one point, I wouldn't have even considered a boxed system, now I might.
Point taken. Although, while the system you quoted is more than capable to run the newest MS Flight Sim, it still falls well short of the components I listed above (GPU, SSD and memory). Especially in the GPU department. It would struggle to run any game at 4K with all the bells and whistles turned on. The RTX 3090 is head and shoulders above any of card out there now, including any of the RTX 2XXX series. The only thing that might challenge it will be the new AMD GPU's, but history has shown them to usually fall behind nVidia in the power department (both in GPU performance and power consumption, with nVidia cards being much more power efficient. And this is coming from a self-described AMD fan boi).

But, as you say, there is something to be said about less headache and one call for any issues. :up:

Stetson

BAMF+
and a big one for me: compatability testing across hardware components. Plus, one throat to choke for any issues. One call, that's all.
"One throat to choke" is a great way to put it. :up: I want to take something out of a box that works. I have too many irons in the fire right now to teach myself how to assemble a computer, and then call every parts manufacturer involved to see what I fucked up when it doesn't work right.

Wretch

amazingly graceful
"One throat to choke" is a great way to put it. :up: I want to take something out of a box that works. I have too many irons in the fire right now to teach myself how to assemble a computer, and then call every parts manufacturer involved to see what I fucked up when it doesn't work right.
If you can service your bike, you can assemble components of a PC with a little guidance from us here but, the too many irons in a fire is a real issue I know too well.
We wouldn't let you gather parts that were not compatible and there are just a few simple rules to follow.

CZLoco

artist formerly known as quad destroyer and...
I ended up picking up a "new to me" intel i7-4790k for $129, and a Geforce GFX1660 Ti video card.
The 1660 Ti is the minimum recommended card for MadVR 4K playback and an excellent choice (for HTPC's) to tide you over until you get a 3xxx card.

Legal Blu Ray playback on a PC requires a 7th generation or newer Intel processor.
I ended up going with a used 9th gen i5-9600K for $175 from eBay when I built my HTPC.
Looks like it's down to about $150 these days.

CZLoco

artist formerly known as quad destroyer and...
I was just an hour ago thinking of going on the Alienware site and pulling the trigger on something tonight. I haven't had a PC at home in years, and want to get back in to it.
If you can, wait for Black Friday.
Not only will you find fantastic deals, but I think Alienware might have the 3XXX series video cards in all builds by then.
If you're going to spend big $ then do NOT buy a PC with a 2XXX series video card if you plan on gaming at 4K. Not when the 3XXX are rolling out.

Check this link for deals whenver you get the urge:

I would normally suggest going straight to the Dell outlet and get a refurbished/open box kinda PC as they are usually an amazing deal when on sale.
But they won't have 3XXX cards for awhile yet.

Sign up for Dell email updates and they randomly send out stackable 10% off coupons.
You can stack that with any other deal they have going on Alienware:

And naturally, you should buy a faux 4K movie projector to game on. Here's the best one under $3K:

Geez, at this point you may as well just apply for the Dell Prefered Account for 18 months no-interest credit card dealio.
They give one to just about anybody regardless of credit rating.

Last edited:
OP
rumble phish

rumble phish

BAMF+
Another update...

I haven't installed any of the parts in my rig yet, as I gathered up a buncha spare parts to build my step-daughter her own PC and cannibalized the parts in my own that I'll be replacing to swap into my son's PC.

For my step-daughter I put together an old school AMD system and I was surprised at how well (and fast!) it runs. I took the FM2+ board I was running an old AMD A8-7600 in and replaced that with an Athlon X4 860K. The K denotes that the CPU is "unlocked" and able to be overclocked. And did it EVER overclock! Stock clock speed on this chip is 3.7GHz, with a 4 GHz boost. I was able to clock it up to a rock-solid 4.5GHz with the huge Noctua cooler I put on it. Fuck me, that's an 800MHz overclock!! The best overclock I ever pulled off was a first gen AMD Athlon 750MHz that we pushed to 1.2GHz, and we had to use a chilled mineral oil bath to get it there!

I am amazed at this little AMD cpu. Not bad for a 6 year old processor. Since the i7-4790K CPU that is going in mine is unlocked, I'm going to try to push it to 5GHz! Doubt I'll get there though without a liquid cooler. Maybe 4.7GHz??

Dameon

BAMF+
Okay, I should know by now not to play in threads like this... makes me want to start another build. :roll:

I put together a high end Alienware desktop system with an RTX 3090. I can't seem to get a 3090 anywhere else as quickly as Dell can get them. They likely have an allotment guarantee from nVidia. I've been on Newegg's "notify" list since they were available to preorder on their site... haven't heard a peep from them.

As it stands now:
Alienware: i9-10900F (water cooled), 32GB DD4 3200, 2TB m.2, 1000w power supply, RTX 3090 (water cooled), standard case, standard gaming keyboard/mouse, Windows 10 Home, free shipping = $3809.99

Newegg Build: ASUS ROG motherboard, i9-10900F (water cooled), 32GB DD4 3200, 2TB m.2, 1000w power supply, RTX 3090 (water cooled), standard case, standard gaming keyboard/mouse, Windows 10 Home, various shipping charges = $3528.89

Things I get with the Dell that I may or may not see value in: 1 year hardware and onsite support and repair, Call of Duty Black Ops Cold War, I don't have the "pleasure" of putting all the parts together, 18 month no interest terms, and maybe, most importantly, a confirmed ship/arrival date. Newegg hasn't had a 3090 available for months and likely won't any time soon.

WWJD?

Dameon

BAMF+
1K watts is a tad anemic?
I thought the same thing. I had an 850w in my current system that would hard power off when trying to hit my 4K Windows desktop with dual ATI R9 290X cards. I upgraded that to 1200w and haven't had an issue since.

All I can guess is that everything (CPU, RAM, GPU) is getting more energy efficient. Plus there's fewer devices consuming power... no legacy SSD, no spinning disks, no optical media drive.

roadczar

they/them - LABusas Road Czar
My rig is in constant state of metamorphosis the only thing that stayed more or less constant for few years is my AX1500i PSU. Looking to upgrade to 3090 ASAP.

Current state is: OC'd i9-9900X, 32gb, m.2 NVMe RAID 0, 2080 TI OC'd, AIO cooler

Not too long ago...

Got tired of maintaining custom loops like the ones below:

Last edited:
  • Red
Reactions: Red

Dameon

BAMF+
My rig is in constant state of metamorphosis the only thing that stayed more or less constant for few years is my AX1500i PSU. Looking to upgrade to 3090 ASAP.
Yeah, 1500w seems WAY overkill. Better to have too much than not enough I guess. :D Good luck on the 3090 in "ASAP" time frame. Likely won't see one until well after the end of the year... unless you agree to the ass raping scalpers.

Current state is: OC'd i9-9900X, 32gb, m.2 NVMe RAID 0, 2080 TI OC'd, AIO cooler
I never run RAID0... unless it is considered to be volatile storage (swap, page file, temp table space, etc.). Too risky. I've had m.2 failures, SSD failures, spinning disk failures. RAID0 only multiples that risk x the number of disks in the array. m.2 is so insanely fast, with RAID0 overhead you likely won't see much of a performance increase. Certainly not worth the risk in my opinion.

OP
rumble phish

rumble phish

BAMF+
Okay, I should know by now not to play in threads like this... makes me want to start another build. :roll:

I put together a high end Alienware desktop system with an RTX 3090. I can't seem to get a 3090 anywhere else as quickly as Dell can get them. They likely have an allotment guarantee from nVidia. I've been on Newegg's "notify" list since they were available to preorder on their site... haven't heard a peep from them.

As it stands now:
Alienware: i9-10900F (water cooled), 32GB DD4 3200, 2TB m.2, 1000w power supply, RTX 3090 (water cooled), standard case, standard gaming keyboard/mouse, Windows 10 Home, free shipping = $3809.99

Newegg Build: ASUS ROG motherboard, i9-10900F (water cooled), 32GB DD4 3200, 2TB m.2, 1000w power supply, RTX 3090 (water cooled), standard case, standard gaming keyboard/mouse, Windows 10 Home, various shipping charges = $3528.89

Things I get with the Dell that I may or may not see value in: 1 year hardware and onsite support and repair, Call of Duty Black Ops Cold War, I don't have the "pleasure" of putting all the parts together, 18 month no interest terms, and maybe, most importantly, a confirmed ship/arrival date. Newegg hasn't had a 3090 available for months and likely won't any time soon.

WWJD?

i9-10900F? RTX 3090? Why would you buy that overpriced SLOW shit? :lol:

AMD Ryzen 9 5950X and an AMD RX 6900XT are the new "Bad Boys" in the game now. Intel and nVidia are getting their asses handed to them for the first time in a looong time (maybe ever?). The RX 6900 XT is $500 cheaper than the RTX 3090 as well!!! Of course the i9-10900 is almost $300 cheaper then the Ryzen 9 5950X, but still, between the two the AMD parts will save you $200 AND run as fast or faster than the Intel/nVidia stuff. Also, the AMD parts aren't nearly as power hungry as the Intel/nVidia parts. I think the word is that the RX 6900XT runs over 50 watts less draw the the 3090.

Last edited:
OP
rumble phish

rumble phish

BAMF+
As for my "old" system, the i7-4790K I put in (with an Arctic Cooler HSF) is running @ 4.6 GHz (4 GHz is stock), and the cheap and slow GTX 1660Ti I put in her is running at 133MHz over stock clock, and 1008MHz over on the memory. It's running 60+ eFPS @ 2560x1440/144MHz on the gmaes I play at the moment, so I'm fairly happy with it. Also, I took my MIL's old 'puter with an AMD a8-7600 (3.1GHz stock clock) and cranked it up to 3.7GHz. I also slapped two 4GB sticks of old DDR3-2133MHz ram in it and she's like a new machine (had one 8BG stick of DDR3-1333MHz in it, so it was slow memory and only single channel).

Dameon

BAMF+
i9-10900F? RTX 3090? Why would you buy that overpriced SLOW shit? :lol:
Who says Dell doesn't have automated scripts to intice buyers "on the edge"? Got an email today that said (basically) "complete your cart order today and receive 11% off the total". So it's en route in a couple weeks. :)

The RX 6900 XT is $500 cheaper than the RTX 3090 as well!!! Of course the i9-10900 is almost $300 cheaper then the Ryzen 9 5950X, but still, between the two the AMD parts will save you $200 AND run as fast or faster than the Intel/nVidia stuff.
Until I see an actual test on the trifecta of Ryzen 5000 CPU, AMD 500 series chipset and 6900XT (for their proprietary Smart Access Access), I won't concede the performance crown. The 6900 makes up a majority of its performance points utilizing the 128MB of Infinity Cache. AMD is claiming SAM, IC and Rage will give them a 13% advantage in frame rate over the 3090 in specific scenarios (see the Forza Horizon 4 tests). This is deceptive because developers will have to do some creative programming to keep the right data in the IC, that's not just an automatic advantage. Plus "Rage" is a one-click overclock boost. The 3090 can overboost as well, but the benchmark tests weren't run with overclocking. The 3090 will be the top performer this round, but not necessarily the top value. No debate there.

Also, the AMD parts aren't nearly as power hungry as the Intel/nVidia parts. I think the word is that the RX 6900XT runs over 50 watts less draw the the 3090.
Yep... 300w to 350w. More to come when the 6900 is available for benchmarking.

OP
rumble phish

rumble phish

BAMF+
You took my point a little too literally :lol:

My point really was that chasing that last little bit of frame rate is expensive and futile. A lotta money spent for 10% of what? But yeah, it’s fun. I have an extra i5- 4460 laying around, with a nice cooler and a couple of 8gb sticks of DDR3. Picked up an itx board and an itx case with a 500 watt PSU to “upgrade” the family PC. It’s kind of like the “library/media” terminal of the house. It was previously running on an old AMD A8 with no dedicated GPU. Gonna pick up the fastest low profile gpu that’s currently sold (GTX 1650 OC) to make it a little more fun so my son and I can set up our own small LAN parties with a couple of his friends. In the end I’ll end up with four mid level systems instead of one high end box, which is cool.

I did pick up a new monitor. 32” 4K LG, 144MHz refresh rate and 1ms response time. Nicest monitor I’ve ever used. Had been using a 40” 4K Samsung Series 6 TV before. This blows it away.

Dameon

BAMF+
You took my point a little too literally :lol:
I'm a very literal person.

I did pick up a new monitor. 32” 4K LG, 144MHz refresh rate and 1ms response time. Nicest monitor I’ve ever used. Had been using a 40” 4K Samsung Series 6 TV before. This blows it away.
I'm afraid that's going to be my next big expense. I'm currently using a Visio 60" 4K, but it's HDMI 2.0 only goes to 60Hz. I'd really like to get to 120Hz at 4K. If I do, I'll probably go a little smaller than 60". That's really too big when the screen is 24" from your face. I'm thinking 45-50".

I've got several games en route over the next 12 months... AC: Valhalla, Far Cry 6, CoD Black Ops Cold War. I don't want to play any of them at less than 4K.

Dameon

BAMF+
My point really was that chasing that last little bit of frame rate is expensive and futile. A lotta money spent for 10% of what? But yeah, it’s fun.
Just like drag racing... that first 10 seconds is "cheap". Each tenth of a second gets more and more expensive. Just trying to future proof my gaming system as much as I can.

Dameon

BAMF+
Far Cry 6 is gonna suck. I'm tired of cobbled together weapons.
That's the spirit! Remain positive. :D

Yeah, I hope they get away from the "build shitty weapons" model. The game boasts "vintage cars and modern weapons". I'm encouraged.

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
MC will appreciate: :D
Finally was able to get a 3090, not easy at MSRP.
Upgraded my motherboard to z590 while at it.

View attachment 56326

View attachment 56328
I have a new Mac Mini with their new fancy chip. Added a 1tb SSD to store all my pictures on. Works like a champ. I'm gonna try to pit an internal SSD in my olde Mini and see how it works.

roadczar

Did you get that 3090 from Wish? They spelled 'supreme' wrong!
Never heard of wish. Got it by running scripts for just couple of cards and stores. Was able to consistently beat commercial bots by about 5 minutes still took almost 2 days. Helps to be retired!
Not sure why marketing decided to misspell supreme.

TR3B

Old but forgotten
Never heard of wish. Got it by running scripts for just couple of cards and stores. Was able to consistently beat commercial bots by about 5 minutes still took almost 2 days. Helps to be retired!
Not sure why marketing decided to misspell supreme.
I was kidding. Been trying to buy a 3080/3090 since November. My brother rolled into town and picked up two 3090's from Microcenter in a week. Little shit. He needed them for work so I forgive him for not letting me have one...sorta.

Stetson

BAMF+
How does this look? Remember, I know nothing. I'm up to $3199.99 before any discounts.

AMD Ryzen™ 7 5800X (8-Core, 36MB Total Cache, Max Boost Clock of 4.7GHz)

Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, English

Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply

32GB Dual Channel HyperX™ FURY DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz; up to 128GB (additional memory sold separately)

2TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage)

Killer™ Wi-Fi 6 AX1650 (2x2) 802.11ax Wireless LAN and Bluetooth 5.1

roadczar

How does this look? Remember, I know nothing. I'm up to $3199.99 before any discounts.

AMD Ryzen™ 7 5800X (8-Core, 36MB Total Cache, Max Boost Clock of 4.7GHz)

Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, English

Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply

32GB Dual Channel HyperX™ FURY DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz; up to 128GB (additional memory sold separately)

2TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage)

Killer™ Wi-Fi 6 AX1650 (2x2) 802.11ax Wireless LAN and Bluetooth 5.1
Does not mention a graphics card. Otherwise nothing impressive about this setup. Seems expensive.

Z

BAMF+
Jus l:eek:ked.......... :ducmanic:

at,,, da oldest file date, on,,, mine. :lol:

7/9/09 :red:

Acer ,,,,dat still works,,,,,,,, perfectly. :up:

Austin_F

BAMF+
Jus l:eek:ked.......... :ducmanic:

at,,, da oldest file date, on,,, mine. :lol:

7/9/09 :red:

Acer ,,,,dat still works,,,,,,,, perfectly. :up:
So is my Sony Vaio. Big deal. Gf Vaio, 2010 vintage still runs as well.

My dell from 2003 or so still boots and runs too although it's on Windows 2000 so I don't bother with it.

roadczar

It's a NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 3080 10GB GDDR6X
Without pricing individual components ... still seems too expensive to me. Unless absolutely a requirement to upgrade I'd wait to mid to late April to purchase. At present to many vendors are gouging.

Roughly speaking decent gaming rig:

$700 - an entry level 3080 @MSRP
$300 - an mid range MB
$500 - CPU
$100 - Case
$200 - midrange PSU
$150/TB - m.2 storage
$200 /32gb - 3600 class RAM
$150 - AIO cooler
$100 - misc, fans, etc.

Top Bottom