Time to upgrade the old PC...

rumble phish

BAMF+
Currently I'm running a 4th gen i5-4460 @ 3.4GHz on an Intel H81 motherboard (MSI H81M-P33) with 16 GB's of DDR3 RAM @ 1600Mhz and a couple of SSD's (1240 GB's total). The only real "new" piece on it is the video card/GPU - It's an AMD Radeon RX 580 with 8 GB's. I'm running Win 10 Home 64 bit on it. It runs everything pretty well (the old i5 is still fairly strong) and it games decently, however any upgrade to the CPU will mean a motherboard and memory upgrade as well. I do play Fortnite with my son (hey, fuck off, it's fun!) and I can run it at full HD (1920 x 1080) with all of the settings on "Epic" and get 70 eFPS all day. I use a Samsung 40" 4K TV as a monitor and I'd like to run my games at full 4K. I know this will require a significant upgrade in GPU, which will be in the ball park of @ $500-600, possibly more. Or, I could put that money towards a CPU/MB/Memory upgrade. If I go that route, I'd be looking at a Ryzen 5 3600X, 32 GB's of DDR4 memory @ 4000+ Mhz, and the latest X570 AMD board. And easy $600, but I'll be set for possible future upgrades and I could get the GPU upgraded at a later time.

So my options would be;

1. "Upgrade" to the strongest CPU my current board can handle (i7 4790K) and stick with my current GPU - $250
  2. Do #1 and upgrade the GPU (RTX 2070 Super @ $500) - total investment $750
  3. Upgrade CPU/Motherboard/Memory and stick with my current GPU - total investment @ $600
  4. Do #3 and upgrade my GPU - total investment @ $1300

#1 won't accomplish what I want, as I'll still be limited by the GPU.
#2 would get me there, but just barely. I'd eventually have to upgrade my CPU/MB and memory but this would buy me some time.
#3 wouldn't actually get me to 4K gaming, but it would do 2K very well and I'd be set for an even better GPU upgrade down the road.
#4 I feel is simply too cost prohibitive, but the old saying is "Buy the best and cry once" right? So maybe? It'll take a lot of soul searching to convince myself to do that.

What say you fucking fucks?

Mr Lucky

The Voice Of Reason...
I tend to upgrade to previous gen to what is new to the market. That way i get some decent mileage without paying the top prices.
I built my current one a few years back now and it is still a very strong system.

That's what I would do anyway....

Wretch

amazingly graceful
Double your RAM, get a newer graphics card by NVidia, get a SSD of the large size 1TB for games/apps and a separate smaller one for the OS.

Storage, just get mechanical HDD.

I built this one I currently use in 2012 and it still works quite well and does 4K videos nicely.

Due to build another within the next year.

95% of my builds since 99' are still running as intended.
Four here and one doing Win 98SE for DOS programs elsewhere.
One died from PS failure due to lack of cleaning and the other from lightening strike.

Use quality parts and never look back.
Don't cheap out or your ass will get bitten.

We have pretty much the same exact setup! I5, 16gb, and even the "recent" upgrade to the RX 580 8 gb. Diff mobo on win7 though. :up:

Can't comment on what to upgrade to as my build is getting long in the tooth at something like 7 (!) Years old and that was the last time I paid attention to stats and benchmarks, but I'd go the buy once, cry once route and donate your old build to your son. A new build will last pretty long and if it helps, break down the cost over 7 years and think of it that way :lol:

I've been thinking of doing the same and giving my dad my current setup, but the cost is making me hesitate since the majority of my computing use is shitposting on labs and not intensive 3d rendering and gaming.

OP
rumble phish

rumble phish

BAMF+
tl, dr

Just go buy a new computer, it's the American way....
I know you're being facetious, but no. I haven't bought a "new" computer since my Dad bought his first PC, a 486DX2 66Mhz back in 1992.

I tend to upgrade to previous gen to what is new to the market. That way i get some decent mileage without paying the top prices.
I built my current one a few years back now and it is still a very strong system.

That's what I would do anyway....
That's pretty much what I'm considering. But of the options I listed, which would you go with?

Double your RAM, get a newer graphics card by NVidia, get a SSD of the large size 1TB for games/apps and a separate smaller one for the OS.

Storage, just get mechanical HDD.

I built this one I currently use in 2012 and it still works quite well and does 4K videos nicely.

Due to build another within the next year.

95% of my builds since 99' are still running as intended.
Four here and one doing Win 98SE for DOS programs elsewhere.
One died from PS failure due to lack of cleaning and the other from lightening strike.

Use quality parts and never look back.
Don't cheap out or your ass will get bitten.
That's pretty much what I'm already running. But to game in 4K is going to require a substantial upgrade. Gaming in 4K is a totally different animal from watching videos in 4K, otherwise I'd stick with what I have.

OP
rumble phish

rumble phish

BAMF+
We have pretty much the same exact setup! I5, 16gb, and even the "recent" upgrade to the RX 580 8 gb. Diff mobo on win7 though. :up:

Can't comment on what to upgrade to as my build is getting long in the tooth at something like 7 (!) Years old and that was the last time I paid attention to stats and benchmarks, but I'd go the buy once, cry once route and donate your old build to your son. A new build will last pretty long and if it helps, break down the cost over 7 years and think of it that way :lol:

I've been thinking of doing the same and giving my dad my current setup, but the cost is making me hesitate since the majority of my computing use is shitposting on labs and not intensive 3d rendering and gaming.
Well, my son already has pretty much the same set up, albeit with an RX 480 4GB video card. I'll probably be pulling the 580 out of my current set up and giving it to my son, while setting up an older AMD Athlon X4 860K system with the 480 and giving that to my step-daughter.

You and I seem to be in very similar boats, as the cost to "buy once, cry once" is just a little too high for me to justify. i'm leaning to scenario #2, as that will get me gaming in 4K sooner rather than later, and then I can upgrade the base of my system to the Ryzen around Christmas time (a lot should be on sale then, and AMD is releasing a new Ryzen chip, so the price of the current crop of Ryzen chips shoudl drop as well.

OP
rumble phish

rumble phish

BAMF+
Frigging thing takes 2 power supplies a 180 and a 330! Love the keyboard and the 4k but my previous Omen X had 4k but not the NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) RTX 2070 SUPER(TM) 8GB GDDR6 . Use Dell or HP because of company discounts plus they worked with me even more than that.
Running a single 750 watt PS in my main rig, and a 450 in my son's rig. The Radeon RX chips are power hungry sons-a-bitches. The 580 pulls as much as an RTX 2070 Super will!

The 2070 Super will draw @ 215 watts at peak, the RX 580 a massive 352 watts at peak! All I know is that the 580 gets fooking hawt!

Last edited:

Mr Lucky

The Voice Of Reason...
Well this is mine.

I love my SSD. I have a boot time from switch on to fucking around on the net of about 26 seconds.

I have a 5TB HDD for storage.

I am a Corsair and Asus fanboi although I did cheap out even more than usual on the MB. I don't regret it, it's been a solid platform and the motherboard is the equivalent of a Toyota Camry.

I also love my Gtx1080Ti Strix. This thing still kicks ass and I think is still rated in the top 10 or so but I haven't looked at Passmark for some time now. I am quite keen on reliable cooling so I do tend to have big AIO and I am fanatical on CPU paste type and cable routing.

My builds are a balance of the best that was available last gen along with lowest price I can score them for. The CPU, MoBo, GPU, AIO cooler and RAM are second hand. I have been burned once or twice with used parts. My GTX 980 was sweet but I had to replace it with a secondhand GTX980Ti Strix that died after a few months, had a stick of bad RAM and a motherboard that was dead but usually I do alright.

I tend to have a lot of cast off parts building up after a while so I make computers for other people with them. A couple of friends have also tasked me with building them computers by giving me a budget I have to work to and then I source all the parts and build one for them. I like that, its a fun challenge... :up:

OP
rumble phish

rumble phish

BAMF+
The MSI GT76 Titan DT is a MONSTER! And I mean that figuratively AND literally. It's fooking HUUUUGE! And LOUD, and hot (temp wise). Can't understand dropping nearly $5k for a "laptop" (better have a sizable lap!).

But... it is a performance monster. But I'd just as soon have a smaller, more convenient laptop for productivity and surfing and keep mu monster locked up at home under the desk.

OP
rumble phish

rumble phish

BAMF+
Well this is mine.

View attachment 43719

I love my SSD. I have a boot time from switch on to fucking around on the net of about 26 seconds.

I have a 5TB HDD for storage.

I am a Corsair and Asus fanboi although I did cheap out even more than usual on the MB. I don't regret it, it's been a solid platform and the motherboard is the equivalent of a Toyota Camry.

I also love my Gtx1080Ti Strix. This thing still kicks ass and I think is still rated in the top 10 or so but I haven't looked at Passmark for some time now. I am quite keen on reliable cooling so I do tend to have big AIO and I am fanatical on CPU paste type and cable routing.

My builds are a balance of the best that was available last gen along with lowest price I can score them for. The CPU, MoBo, GPU, AIO cooler and RAM are second hand. I have been burned once or twice with used parts. My GTX 980 was sweet but I had to replace it with a secondhand GTX980Ti Strix that died after a few months, had a stick of bad RAM and a motherboard that was dead but usually I do alright.

I tend to have a lot of cast off parts building up after a while so I make computers for other people with them. A couple of friends have also tasked me with building them computers by giving me a budget I have to work to and then I source all the parts and build one for them. I like that, its a fun challenge... :up:
That's still a very respectable system. I'm planning on doing similar with the best last gen parts. The GTX 1080 Ti is still powerful enough to run the newer games at full HD at well above 60 eFPS. :up: I'm not chasing high frames per second, as I'm using a 4K TV, not a high refresh rate monitor. That, and the fact the the human eye cannot discern the differences above 60 frame per second anyway. Hell, most movies are shot at or below 30 frames per second.

I'm the same with parts lying about. That why my step-daughter is getitng a free Athlon X4 system :up:

CZLoco

artist formerly known as quad destroyer and...
I think I missed the part where you explained why you need to upgrade the PC?

Build for the purpose, not the budget.

For instance, if you were wanting to build an HTPC to watch upscaled video on your 4K TV, then this is the hardware guide you need to use:

Drakhen

BAMF
If you go AMD, think Ryzen 7 3700x (that's the current sweet spot of performance and price) and an X570 motherboard, which (in combination) gives you access to the new PCIe 4.0

OP
rumble phish

rumble phish

BAMF+
I think I missed the part where you explained why you need to upgrade the PC?

Build for the purpose, not the budget.

For instance, if you were wanting to build an HTPC to watch upscaled video on your 4K TV, then this is the hardware guide you need to use:
Eventually 4K gaming. Big difference in performance requirements over 4k movie watching. The more I think about it, the more I think I'm leaning towards option #2 in my original post.

CZLoco

I'm not a gamer, but I do have some knowledge on 4K video via computer and from what I've read, if you want to game in 4K then you want to look at the new RTX 3000 series GPUs from Nvidia.
Not a ton of difference between the 2000 and 3000 for anything under 4K? But at 4K it's apparently a huge difference in favor of the 3000.

OP
rumble phish

rumble phish

BAMF+
I'm not a gamer, but I do have some knowledge on 4K video via computer and from what I've read, if you want to game in 4K then you want to look at the new RTX 3000 series GPUs from Nvidia.
Not a ton of difference between the 2000 and 3000 for anything under 4K? But at 4K it's apparently a huge difference in favor of the 3000.
Too rich and too new for my blood. Like Lucky, I like to shop the top tier of the LAST gen. Kinda like not getting the first model of a line until they work the bugs out. Driver issues, heat issues, power issues... they'll all creep up. The 3000 series aren't even available yet and they already have driver problems and compatibility issues with all but the newest chipsets. That's why I'm looking at the RX 2070 Super and an i7 4790K. I should be able to squeez out 4.8 GHz out of the CPU with the cooler I have, and the 2070S should be able to run @ near 60 eFPS at 4K at mid settings. It should carry me through a CPU/MB/Memory upgrade and through the next 5-7 years :up:

CZLoco

Too rich and too new for my blood. Like Lucky, I like to shop the top tier of the LAST gen. Kinda like not getting the first model of a line until they work the bugs out. Driver issues, heat issues, power issues... they'll all creep up. The 3000 series aren't even available yet and they already have driver problems and compatibility issues with all but the newest chipsets. That's why I'm looking at the RX 2070 Super and an i7 4790K. I should be able to squeez out 4.8 GHz out of the CPU with the cooler I have, and the 2070S should be able to run @ near 60 eFPS at 4K at mid settings. It should carry me through a CPU/MB/Memory upgrade and through the next 5-7 years :up:
The RTX 3060 will run rings around the 2070S at 4K.
Keep your AMD until the 3060 drops.
For 4K use, I honestly think anyone who buys a 2000 series right now is "dumb". Sorry. :lol:

OP
rumble phish

rumble phish

BAMF+
The RTX 3060 will run rings around the 2070S at 4K.
Keep your AMD until the 3060 drops.
For 4K use, I honestly think anyone who buys a 2000 series right now is "dumb". Sorry. :lol:
No need to apologize brother, we all have opinions. And I'm not saying you're wrong, just that I have concerns about the stability of the new cards, or at least their drivers. So maybe I'm back to considering the Ryzen 5 3600x, main board and memory...

Mr Lucky

The Voice Of Reason...
I game in 4k. My system copes very well with most if my in game graphics setting pushed up to max.

Mr Lucky

The Voice Of Reason...
No need to apologize brother, we all have opinions. And I'm not saying you're wrong, just that I have concerns about the stability of the new cards, or at least their drivers. So maybe I'm back to considering the Ryzen 5 3600x, main board and memory...
That base would be a very solid and reliable start point for you .

My 7 1800x although very early gen Ryzen, still performs well.

Keep in mind that the Ryzen X runs hot so don't skimp on your cooling...

Dameon

BAMF+
OP
rumble phish

rumble phish

BAMF+
Well, AMD just announced the new Ryzen lineup. Big improvements without TDP or wattage increases.

Maybe the Ryzen 7 3600X price will drop?

Wretch

amazingly graceful
You're an asshole for making this thread RP... 😠

...and I'm an idiot for bragging about my mad build skills. ☹

My main rig shit the bed this morning but, had been showing signs of ill health last night.
The SSD died, dammit.

I'll try again with a new SSD tomorrow though.

No time to fuck around digging one of the older builds out with so much other shit going on right now so, fuck you all, from my outdated Windows phone! 🙇

OP
rumble phish

rumble phish

BAMF+
Bummer Wretch. Hope you didn't loose too much data.

Here's pretty good deal on a PNY 1TB SSD. I have the 240GB version, and it's significantly faster than my Sandisk SSD.

Last edited:
OP
rumble phish

rumble phish

BAMF+
How cute, you soy boi's want to upgrade your computer to play games on. I'd like to upgrade my lathe and mill, and if the old Gateway fires up, fine with me.
Wow, you're sooo manly MC! :roll:

On that point, I think I'm going with a CPU/mainboard/memory upgrade but I'm sticking with Ryzen 2nd gen series, probably the Ryzen 5 3600. I'm keeping the RX 580 for now, as I've been running it at an OC of 1505MHz (stock clock is 1366MHz). She sounds and feels like a hair dryer on low heat but she's also running games at 4K med/high settings at 60 eFPS consistently. I might try a CPU cooler mod on it just for fun.

The rest of the funds will go to magazines for the other toys.

CZLoco

She sounds and feels like a hair dryer on low heat but she's also running games at 4K med/high settings at 60 eFPS consistently. I might try a CPU cooler mod on it just for fun.
My RTX 2060S had significant fan noise at anything over 55% fan RPM which I could hear from eight feet away on the couch while playing 1080P BluRay upconverted to 4K.
I used the overlocking app to put a fan curve on it to lower the fan noise and it's worked great.
Temps went up slightly but are still well within tolerances. And now it's silent!

Last edited:

Wretch

amazingly graceful
Well, obviously, my shit is back up and running again.

I had it loaded up and rolling last night but, was exhausted from a day of shopping/eating sushi with my daughter,
celebrating her 16th birthday since it fell during the middle of last week, so I was moving slowly by 4:00pm when we got home.

Went with another SSD and holy shit! it's back to blazing speeds...

...I still have a lot of drivers and settings to sort out still, as well as getting all the security crap back in place.

Going to spend a little time on it this morning but, really want to finish the birthday weekend celebration with my daughter.
We're going to the range today to put holes in paper and maybe eat some Italian food this afternoon.

Terry_Schiavo

Moderately Banned
Hey nerds... we will be getting together in Northern California... aka NorCal if youre into vernacular.
Bring your boxes and monitors to Thunder Hill so you can get a proper nerd ass kicking!! :fu:
Lan Party :fu: (not a Lemon Lan Party) 👎🖖👨‍❤️‍👨👨‍❤️‍👨

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
Well, obviously, my shit is back up and running again.

I had it loaded up and rolling last night but, was exhausted from a day of shopping/eating sushi with my daughter,
celebrating her 16th birthday since it fell during the middle of last week, so I was moving slowly by 4:00pm when we got home.

Went with another SSD and holy shit! it's back to blazing speeds...

...I still have a lot of drivers and settings to sort out still, as well as getting all the security crap back in place.

Going to spend a little time on it this morning but, really want to finish the birthday weekend celebration with my daughter.
We're going to the range today to put holes in paper and maybe eat some Italian food this afternoon.

Maybe if you did more then "game" on a computer, you would have more energy. I try to stop working on shit around 10:00PM now days, every now and then midnight.

Wretch

amazingly graceful
Maybe if you did more then "game" on a computer, you would have more energy. I try to stop working on shit around 10:00PM now days, every now and then midnight.
If I could do more than "game" on the computer, I would and actually I do.
I do more reading, watching videos and learning on my computer, than anything else.

I changed my appointment to see the surgeons that want to put metal rods in my lower back and fuse a few levels there,
from a couple of weeks ago to the middle of next month.
Too much other shit was going on for me to make it there so, I rescheduled.
I'm still not comfortable with the idea of more cutting on me.

I still get in at least 4 hours of outdoor work done most every day, save for really bad days.
No narcotics for right at two years now because, it'll cut down on overdoses if they stop giving them to me. :retard:

I have to plan my attacks on things like small truck and large mower repair and do the work in stages.
What used to take me minutes or hours now takes days, usually.
Never mind the travel to grocery shop and manage the life problems of elderly relatives as well as participate in my daughter's life when I have the opportunity to do so.

I'm glad you can still move/walk well enough to do anything you like but, you can shove your opinion of what I do, straight up your ass, with or without lube, your choice. :fu:

OP
rumble phish

rumble phish

BAMF+
Well, in case any of you fuckers are wondering if I actually upgraded my PC, yes I did. Sort of. I ended up picking up a "new to me" intel i7-4790k for $129, and a Geforce GFX1660 Ti video card. Figure the 4790k might be 4 or 5 years old, but it's still a VERY strong proc, and will be more than enough for my needs. Stock is 4 GHz, and these can easily be pushed to 4.5-4.7GHz. Coupling that with a GFX 1660Ti GPU should work nicely, as the 1660 is about a 25% improvement over the AMD Radeon 580 card I'm running now.

The rest of the funds went to a whole bunch of magazines (rifle and handgun) that I'll be able to use at my sister's place in Nevada 😉 :2guns::lol:.

Last edited:

Stetson

BAMF+
I was just an hour ago thinking of going on the Alienware site and pulling the trigger on something tonight. I haven't had a PC at home in years, and want to get back in to it.

Wretch

amazingly graceful
I was just an hour ago thinking of going on the Alienware site and pulling the trigger on something tonight. I haven't had a PC at home in years, and want to get back in to it.
You can build the same or better machine for half the money instead of buying Alienware hype.

Let us know what you want to do with it and I'm certain we can share some possible high quality builds.

Stetson

BAMF+
Flight Simulator 2020 is what finally did it, but the short version is I've realized I've missed out on a lot of PC gaming by switching to consoles 15 years ago. I'm just thinking about subscribing to a streaming service and checking out games. I'm not computer savvy at all, and have little interest in trying to build my own computer. I don't currently have any PC to upgrade, I'm looking to buy a gaming one that I take out of the box and use, and write off as office equipment on the company books. I'll also be using it for working at home sometimes, which is mostly web access at this point.

Wretch

amazingly graceful
Flight Simulator 2020 is what finally did it, but the short version is I've realized I've missed out on a lot of PC gaming by switching to consoles 15 years ago. I'm just thinking about subscribing to a streaming service and checking out games. I'm not computer savvy at all, and have little interest in trying to build my own computer. I don't currently have any PC to upgrade, I'm looking to buy a gaming one that I take out of the box and use, and write off as office equipment on the company books. I'll also be using it for working at home sometimes, which is mostly web access at this point.
Stick with ASUS Tek branded stuff and you'll hardly ever go wrong.

They've been doing right by me for nearly 25 years.

OP
rumble phish

rumble phish

BAMF+
Well, you'd be coming in right on the edge of a bit of a hardware revolution. The new 4th gen AMD Ryzen 5XXX procs, as well as the latest nVidia RTX 3XXX series cards, the computing power in a desktop system has never been greater. Also, AMD should be releasing their latest GPU's as well (Big Navi and RNDA2) true 4K gaming at a standard of 60 frames per second should be in reach of those willing to pay the $$$$ for it.

But what this really means is that the latest gen hardware today should be "on sale" in the coming months to a year. You'd probably be able to build a very capable system from the ground up for far less than hat a box company could get you.

A top tier spec system today would look like this;

Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 3950x ($750)
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix X570-E ($300)
Memory: 32GB of DDR4 @ 4400MHz ($170)
Hard Drive: addlink S70 2TB SSD NVMe PCIe 3x4 M.2 2280 Internal Solid State Drive ($260)
GPU/Graphics Card: nVidia RTX 3090 ($1500)

Total @ $3000 plus tax. Of course, this would be far and away greater than anything you could pick up pre-built for the same money. The price of these components would likely drop over the next year as the latest gens are released.

Case/Cooling solution/Keyboard_Mouse/Monitor, etc... @ $500-$1000 depending on what you ant. Maybe less if you already have stuff to use.

Last edited:
Top Bottom