TIG welder upgrade?

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
I've been kicking the can down the road for a couple years not on upgrading my Dailarc HF-P. It's good machine but when I look at what a modern machine can do it's no comparison. It's also like 600 lbs and the size of a small hippo.

I do like the Miller welders, the blue goes with my...other ones.

My old TIG isn't even really a square wave. It has really basic settings and actually does a pretty good job. If I turn it up to 11 it says 310 amps on the output though I'm told thats not really the case. It has Reverse/straight polarity, AC/DC, 3 stage amp range selector and dail, High freq continuous/start/off connected to remote amperage (foot pedal for those who don't know) and is a water cooled. It's a brut and if I need to weld 5/8 plate it's gonna get it done.

I want something though for thin material, .050 aluminum or steel etc. My machine does that stuff but it could be much better. What I like about the new ones is the ramp up, ramp down and pulse features.

Anyone running this stuff? Like/Dont like etc?

i have been looking at the same thing honestly...and i cant keep from coming back to the TWO lines of harbor freight welders offered now. they seem to be direct copies of far more expensive stuff, for 1/3 the price.

both the vulcan series and the titanium series get crazy good reviews when compared to miller/lincoln/everlast/etc for the hobbyist... I cant justify throwing down 2000 bucks for something ill use once every 2 or 3 months...but at the 799 price points...its far more attractive to me..and a 3 year warranty should ensure any major issue will surface while there is time to get it replaced.

there are a ton of youtube channels for welder guys (the fab series is great) who do nothing but weld with different welders. (and if you dont care about the money, the fronius systems seem to be the cats meow).

i literally never weld aluminum, so ive been looking at the multiprocess welders in both the lines above in 220v...and i simply cant find anything else that does what they do for anywhere near the price point.

if i did it for a living or more regularly than just random hobby type things, id certainly spring for a fronius...but id rather waste that money on more expensive parts that get used on toys than more expensive tools that get used far less frequently.

the other one i see that gets great reviews in that price range is the AHP Alphatig system...

folks freaking rave about this setup, and its also around 800 bucks.

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
We have a Synchrowave 250 sitting at the junkyard. Hasn't been used in twenty years, no where to plug it in. The fucker won't sell it to me.

A23

BAMF
My primary welder is coming by the house tomorrow to help me get the '38 started.

I'll ask him for an opinion.

CZLoco

artist formerly known as quad destroyer and...
Are there rebuild/upgrade kits for the old one?

WarpSpeed

Destroyer of Cheese and Triscuits
I had the opportunity to test drive the new Miller 250 (250 doesnt sound right, 254? I'm deep in to the rum and things are..not perfectly in focus)it's a portable Mig TIG AC DC machine. I haven't touched aluminum in a few years it does a great job of making me look competent.

Last edited:
OP
OP
maui

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
i have been looking at the same thing honestly...and i cant keep from coming back to the TWO lines of harbor freight welders offered now. they seem to be direct copies of far more expensive stuff, for 1/3 the price.

both the vulcan series and the titanium series get crazy good reviews when compared to miller/lincoln/everlast/etc for the hobbyist... I cant justify throwing down 2000 bucks for something ill use once every 2 or 3 months...but at the 799 price points...its far more attractive to me..and a 3 year warranty should ensure any major issue will surface while there is time to get it replaced.

there are a ton of youtube channels for welder guys (the fab series is great) who do nothing but weld with different welders. (and if you dont care about the money, the fronius systems seem to be the cats meow).

i literally never weld aluminum, so ive been looking at the multiprocess welders in both the lines above in 220v...and i simply cant find anything else that does what they do for anywhere near the price point.

if i did it for a living or more regularly than just random hobby type things, id certainly spring for a fronius...but id rather waste that money on more expensive parts that get used on toys than more expensive tools that get used far less frequently.
I looked at some of these machines. They are certainly in the more affordable range. I do weld aluminum a fair amount. My other issue is freight oddly. It seems that lots of these guys only offer truck freight and when I ask them if they've ever seen where Maui is on a map they kinda go oh right, that might be hard. I do have a Miller dealer local which is why of there years I've stuck with those guys. I can walk into the bosses office any time I want and he'll work with me. He told me that he'll match any price on any (miller) machine in the country, pay the freight etc.

I often watch the Fab series on youtube, I also appreciate this guys channel, one of the better welders I've seen, also just a decent guy with in my case 1st class customer service from his shop...:

OP
OP
maui

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
Are there rebuild/upgrade kits for the old one?
that's just not going to be practical. I still like that older transformer (?) machine. I was running it at WFO years ago at my shop in California and when I stopped the machine shop manager from next door was standing in my shop. He said are you done? ...yep...he said I knocked out every radio in the building...which he thought was hysterical...he was one of my best friends back then.

Master-Cylinder

Duck Loving Curmudgeon and Legendary Race Wrench
I was welding a shit load of stuff one day, burned the shit outta my arms from the arc. Now I got's me a leather welding sleeve thing.

OP
OP
maui

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
On quick shit I'll do the squid version, short sleeve, maybe even gloves. Yesterday I had to tack something up and I just closed my eyes, turned my head away (mig) counted to 3 and was done. Yes I know the safety police will say the UV will go right through your eye lids, thats why I used my brain (head?) to shield my eyes, duh. me fine now, pretty spots, drive car and used bumps in road to find my way.

The only reason to get rid of the hippo is because you need the space in your shop.

For welding light aluminum, get a suitcase inverter type welder. 110/220 volt. Miller,Lincoln, ESAB, etc. Not a fucking chance I would buy any harbor freight machines! Stay with name brand, cry once.

You don't need a water cooled torch for small jobs, gas cooled is fine.

The ramp up, ramp down is not needed for tig welding, my foot pedal does that, it does work good with mig, as well as the pulse features and other fine settings.

A good push pull mig will run you around 6k, but good Damn it is worth it. You would likely never tig anything again unless you had to. I've done welds that even the biggest asshole couldn't say anything bad about, in fact, a very rare compliment from the cunt.

I use a square wave lincoln and it out performs the old Miller machines by quite a bit. I'll take a square wave over a synchro wave any day of the week.

I've tested them side by side, hands down the square wave wins. The only adjustment is amperage, no other parameters are adjustable, doesn't need it.

But I suspect you already know most of what I said.

Good luck,have fun!

RollieFree

BAMF
I weld a lot and teach welding classes on MIG and TIG, steel and aluminum. Most of my welding is aerospace level stuff with lots of exotic alloys. I use a Miller Dynasty 350 MIG and a Dynsaty 400 TIG. They do everything, however I use less of it than I thought I would. It is like most other things, it is in the hands of the user. I could do just as well with much less of a machine. The 400 is also very expensive for a home unit. My advice is to check out weldingtipsandtricks.com and check out some welder review vids. Jody does a great job showing off all the machines available in all price ranges and their features. Honestly I think my 20 year old Synchrowave 250 transformer without pulse or freq control can do the same work. Freq control is nice for tight spaces but as I said, it is all in the hands of the operator. Welding skills take years to develop, lots of study to understand just what is happening when you are in the game and daily practice. Even if I miss a week, I can see the difference for the first 20 minutes. Its much like golf or playing a musical instrument. It is an active process and you have to be 100% observant as you weld and understand how to make corrections as you go. I'm sure I'll still have much room for improvement in another 20 years and I am looking forwad to it.

RF

NitroShark

BAMF
from a guy that races with a lot of Nitro..
Website
www.garrigans.hostcentric.com
I’ve owned 2 welders in the past 35 years. Miller 330 A/B-P and a Lincoln Square wave TIG 355. The Miller only had Low/Mid/High settings and I used it without pulse for many years- But- It’s really nice to have Pulse and variable amp/ square wave settings.

Only downside to the older Tech welders is input power. My Lincoln uses 105 amp input. But most likely you already have that with your dynasty welder now.

Stick with a blue or red (industrial) welder. They will be around forever to support whatever you choose.

. tig weldersg.jpg

tig weldersg1.jpg

WarpSpeed

Destroyer of Cheese and Triscuits
looks good, but you're gonna get a really funny looking sun tan if you keep that up
The welding jackets they brought were size Large, couldn't even put it on backwards just to use the sleeves. Left bicep was a little red for a few days!

Top Bottom