Thunderhill Track days 2021 and a fuck you to 2020

Stites

That's Mister Black Flag To You
I probably should. And it's been under consideration...

Truck needed some looking at, that's done.

When I'm on the bike, I'm not afraid of getting hurt, when I'm not, I am. I know that doesn't make sense.

I don't have another recovery in me, I do, but I don't want to spend that token.

Who can drive my truck back if I decide to have a yard sale with the K7? And end up needing medical.
Eddie has to go back to LA and so does Gregg I think but he might have already bought airline tickets

OP
maui

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
I probably should. And it's been under consideration...

Truck needed some looking at, that's done.

When I'm on the bike, I'm not afraid of getting hurt, when I'm not, I am. I know that doesn't make sense.

I don't have another recovery in me, I do, but I don't want to spend that token.

Who can drive my truck back if I decide to have a yard sale with the K7? And end up needing medical.
buy the helicopter insurance for $65. If you scatter the K7 we'll roll it in the shop (most of it) until which time you want it back...but you're not gonna scatter it. As for the truck, we'll figure it out but again, thats not gonna happen. What is gonna happen, is you having a good time on the 3 mile track. Not sure if you've ever been there but its a lotta fun.

Standard track day rules apply, I'm the winner of everything no matter what, grand prize is the half eaten taco from 2018 which is still sitting on Schiavos bike. Not sure how to un stick it, so you might have to eat the vinyl covering or re donate it to next year. Jack and Coke optional. If at anytime the standard rules are too confusing Vorton the Space God will make a legal determination which will be fucking magnificent.

CZLoco

artist formerly known as quad destroyer and...
If your truck has room for both bikes then I could drive you back.
I think you still live within an hour of Ventura County don't you?
That's the direction I'll be headed as soon as the Monday trackday is over.

It takes me a couple sessions to learn a new track. Even better if I have fast guys to follow.

Ya, I've never road that track.
3 miles sounds great, I like fast tracks.

Git sum.

If your truck has room for both bikes then I could drive you back.
I think you still live within an hour of Ventura County don't you?
That's the direction I'll be headed as soon as the Monday trackday is over.
A pile of parts and a bike, probably.

Ventura is about an hour away from me, little less.

OP
maui

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
It takes me a couple sessions to learn a new track. Even better if I have fast guys to follow.

Ya, I've never road that track.
3 miles sounds great, I like fast tracks.

Git sum.
its a mostly a left turn oriented track. You might want to flip the rear at the end of day 1.

its a mostly a left turn oriented track. You might want to flip the rear at the end of day 1.
That's gonna suck for me, I can't get over on the left side because my knee doesn't flex enough for that. I've tried to get it more flexible, physically not happening. It just wants to come out of the knee joint.

Good dammit.

I don't know.

That's why I like Willow springs.

Edit. It will be fun. I'll figure it out.

Bring the cbd cream, gonna need it.

Last edited:

CZLoco

That's why I like Willow springs.
It's funny how this track is in Willows, CA. The name makes me smile and think of Willow Springs.
Here's a good vid of Thunderhill East which is what we'll be riding.

• Red
Reactions: Red
It's funny how this track is in Willows, CA. The name makes me smile and think of Willow Springs.

The right hand corners look promising.

I'm just gonna watch this on loop til March.

OP
maui

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
also lots of people run off track to the outside on 4 (to the inside of 5) which Is the "cyclone" hill.

The top is blind so I usually look for a group of trees in the distance for a visual. I think people over shoot the top as it transitions to a right and flop it in the dirt. Probably the biggest collection of bike parts on a track day.

OP
maui

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
if you watch that guys video at the .47 mark (roughly 0:39.748 on his timer) as he crest the hill when the bike if vertical look dead straight in the distance you'll see 3 low trees bunched together which are to the right of a taller Eucalyptus tree

you get a fraction of a second, if you look too long you're in the dirt so maybe thats not super helpful :lol:

Terry_Schiavo

Moderately Banned
decent vid for a relaxed lap... the faster you go into 1 the more in the pit out lane you are. We got to watch Herrin show the fast line and his bike was wagging its tale and he was catching an upshift into 1. The rider has smooth throttle application in 2-3... always have trouble with 4 & 8... usually on 8 I drop anchor too quick... and 9 is a sweet wheelie hill... boo for him short shifting. I like the brake pressure sensor display.
I think Dragon 350 should take the 300 out to site the track a session as it will not need much if any braking and top out at 100ish allowing you to focus on ref points

Terry_Schiavo

Moderately Banned
Heres a better video on a basically stock 600 with DOT tires... he is running the same times as the BMW and using proper lines. Pretty sure Uribe would knock 8 seconds off a 2 min lap on the BMW w/o breaking a sweat.

My point? This is the problem with Utoob... we watched a 5 mile vid of some clueless turd that recorded his laps. It started to bother me
how poorly the guy was riding and I hadnt turned a wheel on the west track...lol. The 5 mile is a long lap!!
To put it in perspective... Elias ran a 46.8 & Herrin ran a 47.2 in testing. Nearly 1/2 a second between them... crazy the spread at that level! Would love to see the data on throttle open time per lap.
Gerloff went 47.6 Beach ran a 49 and privateer Michael Gilbert ran a 51.5... all on a SS 600. Damn 4 seconds on a 600. Crazy

I know some car guys use Iracing as a way to stay sharp. Ive never seen a race rig that mimics motorcycles, like the 4 wheeled guys have, but that would be cool as hell to be able to ride from your garage or basement or spare BR.

Last edited:
OP
maui

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
decent vid for a relaxed lap... the faster you go into 1 the more in the pit out lane you are. We got to watch Herrin show the fast line and his bike was wagging its tale and he was catching an upshift into 1. The rider has smooth throttle application in 2-3... always have trouble with 4 & 8... usually on 8 I drop anchor too quick... and 9 is a sweet wheelie hill... boo for him short shifting. I like the brake pressure sensor display.
I think Dragon 350 should take the 300 out to site the track a session as it will not need much if any braking and top out at 100ish allowing you to focus on ref points
pretty much every track day provider as well as Thunderhill will say no passing on 8 (for a track day). I believe I've even heard Jesse Carter say that on AFAM they discourage it.

8's a fast turn, you can see all the way through it, and they still had to ad 6' of pavement on the exit....

Last edited:

CZLoco

Yeah, I can see how turn eight won't be good for passing. And that extra 6' doesn't look like much!

if you watch that guys video at the .47 mark (roughly 0:39.748 on his timer) as he crest the hill when the bike if vertical look dead straight in the distance you'll see 3 low trees bunched together which are to the right of a taller Eucalyptus tree

you get a fraction of a second, if you look too long you're in the dirt so maybe thats not super helpful :lol:
My stomach gets fluttery every time I watch these videos and someone goes up over that blind crest into nothing and then comes down again.

Stites

Yeah, I can see how turn eight won't be good for passing. And that extra 6' doesn't look like much!

My stomach gets fluttery every time I watch these videos and someone goes up over that blind crest into nothing and then comes down again.
Wait until you ride it. While I am comfortable with it now it can still be an uneasy feeling if you are going to fast

OP
maui

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem

sometimes it's just easier to follow someone else who looks like they know what they're doing.

if they crash, don't do that part.

CZLoco

I'll be spending the first day just getting re-aclimated to motorcycling.
And breaking in new leather gear & helmet.
I checked my paperwork from the crash and it'll be four years of bike-less-fuck this May.

Stites

I'll be spending the first day just getting re-aclimated to motorcycling.
And breaking in new leather gear & helmet.
I checked my paperwork from the crash and it'll be four years of bike-less-fuck this May.
I am glad you are coming bro. We have such an awesome thing there at the track. The atmosphere is always light and fun, the motorcycling awesome and the the friendships epic.

I'm not gonna make it. Trans in the truck is acting up, I don't trust it.

Pretty bummed I'm gonna miss out. I appreciate the track info and those that took the time to help.

I'm looking forward to the next chuck walla track day, hopefully. Should have the truck sorted by then.

BigGar

high on placebo
I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to bow out of this one lads. As much as I'd love to be there I've got a lot going on here, as well as commitments to get to Hawaii to see my son's new digs and down to San Felipe with my bride. Barring any sort of major auto show event that I'd be stuck doing, I'm planning on the April track days which works a lot better for me.

OP
maui

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to bow out of this one lads. As much as I'd love to be there I've got a lot going on here, as well as commitments to get to Hawaii to see my son's new digs and down to San Felipe with my bride. Barring any sort of major auto show event that I'd be stuck doing, I'm planning on the April track days which works a lot better for me.
songs will be sung about you, glasses crushed together, unicorn pedicures will be had.....ok, maybe not unicorns, something really cute though.

CZLoco

I was looking forward to hanging with you guys. It's been too long since I've seen either of you.
Plenty of time left for you to change your minds though.

Now I'm worried about being left alone in the same room as Schiavo.

CZLoco

66 degrees looks nice, especially coming from the snow in much of the USA right now.
The mornings look cold (to me) with 49 degrees at 9AM.

Stites

66 degrees looks nice, especially coming from the snow in much of the USA right now.
The mornings look cold (to me) with 49 degrees at 9AM.
View attachment 56377
You just have to take it easy the first couple of AM sessions as the pavement and tires will have less heat.

Terry_Schiavo

Moderately Banned
You just have to take it easy the first couple of AM sessions as the pavement and tires will have less heat.
yeap... use the first 2 sessions to find your apexes, footing, get your body and brakes warmed. Also its a track day not qualifying for a race. Also dont l3t your ego keep you in a group thats beyond your grasp.

Qwik

High Altitude BAMF
Website
www.LABusas.org
first session is often a cluster fuck, people going out to set a track record, cold tires, cold track, cold brains, the last session isn't much better.
yeap... use the first 2 sessions to find your apexes, footing, get your body and brakes warmed. Also its a track day not qualifying for a race. Also dont l3t your ego keep you in a group thats beyond your grasp.
Both of these guys are fast as fuck and know what they are talking about. Read what they ha e said right here and utilize it.

BigGar

high on placebo
Never feel bad about literally everyone else on the track blowing by you. It takes a couple of sessions to get a feel for how the track flows and getting your lines, and your confidence back. I think my first session I literally sat bolt upright in C group and just cruised it for twenty minutes. Second session felt WAY better and I started pushing a little more. Just don't feel like you have to keep up with anyone and always give your fellow riders plenty of room when you do start passing people.

Stites

Never feel bad about literally everyone else on the track blowing by you. It takes a couple of sessions to get a feel for how the track flows and getting your lines, and your confidence back. I think my first session I literally sat bolt upright in C group and just cruised it for twenty minutes. Second session felt WAY better and I started pushing a little more. Just don't feel like you have to keep up with anyone and always give your fellow riders plenty of room when you do start passing people.

Gregg we had some fun mixing it up in the afternoon sessions........riding at a similar skill level as a friend and spending an entire session with them passing back and fourth is way more fun than just being out there riding with a bunch of people you do not know.

Top Bottom