Thunderhill Track days 2021 and a fuck you to 2020..next May 2nd and 6th 3mile, May 8&9 on 2 mile, May 10&11 3 mile, *Ridge 29-31

Stites

Kawapuke in training
Ride Report:

Monday morning blues here as I settle back into the working mans life. Had such a great week with out LABs crew as always. I am questioning why these weekends seem to go by in a snap of the fingers.

Mitch, Steve, Cami and I all got to the track Friday afternoon, Jeff was already there. It was nice to see everyone again especially Mitch after the last time I saw him 10 years ago in the Pala are in CA when he was flying Nitro helicopters. Steve promptly showed me his short shirt and told "this is your baby". Cami and I took the Neenja down to see Dave Moss and at 6PM at night he promptly went to work setting up the bike for her. I think she was mind blown by all the little things he did. One of the biggest things that he changed that was big for her was throttle and clutch perch positioning. It helped take away the fatigue she had while riding on our local track.

After a few cocktails we started cooking dinners on the flat cast iron griddle/skillet. This thing is perfect for the track and makes the best dam food. We cooked up some veggies and a big ass ribeye that Mitch brought and it was dam good! I think dinners at the track with a few cocktails is my favorite thing about these weekends. Dave Moss joined us for dinner and had us all laughing on several occasions. He's such a character and it was really cool to talk to him away from him working. While he's working he's very busy and quite professional and all business as he's very detailed orientated. At dinner we got to see a lighter side of Mr Moss and that was a highlight of the evening. After some cocktails and casual conversation we called it a night.

Saturday was our usual morning chaos as we try and wake up, get food in our stomachs, registration, tech, get suited up and GO! The weather was perfect as it wasn't to cold or hot just right in the middle. We set-up coaching for Cami after the sighting laps until lunch so they she had a rider coach for every session until lunch. By lunch time she was coming in with big smiles that you could see through her helmet. This meant she was starting to get comfortable and having fun. This made me very happy as she had a certain level of anxiety leading up to the weekend. By the end of the day she was starting to get the tires to ball up a little and was just about edge to edge on the tire.

Mitch rode A from the start on his GSXR-1000 (very nice and sorted bike) and spent the first few sessions learning the track. Steve on the Neenja 300 did what he does best helps everyone else with tech info, rider positioning and cornering technique all while rowing the gears on that 300. On this day at the end of the day a gentleman he had helped all day long came over with a huge shit eating grin thanking Steve up and down as he had helped him with so much that everything started to make sense for the lad. He was telling us how long he had been riding the track and in one day Steve had him going smoother and faster than he has ever been. It was really cool for someone else to experience this with Steve as we know this is the standard for us as he makes everyone in the shop better in multiple ways. Except for when he's dancing to Baby's Got Back in his spandex.

Jeff and I took the SuperMotos out in B+ as that's the group I have been most comfortable in for a while now. After one session on the Supermoto I knew I was in trouble. Like an addict on payday I am thinking FUCK now I need to buy one these. After a few laps to warm the tires we wicked it up and basically was passing everyone on the outside on the inside and everywhere with exception to the straights. It was a new experience for me being one of the faster guys on track. Jeff promptly gave me feedback on things to change to help my lines, riding position and overall smoothness. He also urged after a few more sessions that we bump to A. I wasn't 100% sure I wanted to bump to A as I wasn't sure if I could hold the pace. I had in my mind that I was going to get run over, lapped and buzzed. Jeff assured me that wasn't the case and that I wasn't going to hold anyone up and that lots of A guys liked guys on the track that they were faster than as it allowed them to practice passing off line. He also mentioned it was better to be a slower guy in A versus the faster guy in B. At this point I decided after some more chatting with Jeff that after lunch I would try A and if it was to much I would bump back down to B. So now I have it my head that I need to get my shit together as we are about to go play with the big boys. Did my sessions in B and was trying to work on lines and body position as there were a few things that needed lots of work. It was at this time going into turn 8 (hairpin) that Cory Call blows by me on the inside sideways backing his fucking giant buffalo of a GS into the corner leaving a 30 foot dark strip as the bike starts to chatter.......of course the bastard stuck the corner. He's so in his element on a bike and it's fucking fantastic to watch him ride. After his pass I wanted to try and follow as I wanted to see his entry and exits of different corners. We pull on the front straight and I right with him side by side and the fucker pulls a wicked 11oclock wheelie on the buffalo and turns his head and stares at me for what seemed like 3 to 4 seconds. He sets the big bitch down and was gone pretty quickly. I was only able to stay with him for a corner or two as he kept adding distance with each passing second. After the session I went to go get permission from registration to move into A from Jesse Carter and Cory was there. I explained that I had planned to bump up to A. Cory speaks up to Jesse and says that's a good idea as I wasn't going to hold anyone up and that I was ripping it up on the Supermoto. I looked at Cory and asked seriously? He said yes and that I was doing great. This was huge confidence boost for me and I felt much better about going into A.

In the second to last session of the morning I some how ended up with a punctured tube in the rear on the KTM. I ended up spending the session with a drive to Walmart to get a patch kit and had Jose from PJ's pull the tire from the rim. Ate a really quick lunch and got the tube and tire fixed with lots of help from Tim who showed up and surprised the group. Was really great seeing him as well and much like Steve he was helping everyone and fixing everyone's shit who needed help. Suited up and headed out into the A group. A bit nervous and yet hopeful I could keep pace. Jeff followed for a few laps and promptly left me in the dust. After 3-4 laps I knew I was in the right group. No gaggle fucks of bikes to pass with unpredictable riders and no 10 long bike trains. Right when I am thinking I am in the right group some dude with a wicked pace buzzed me on the inside about 6 inches away. I am not sure if I was alarmed or excited because watching him go through that corner at that speed was pretty epic. After the session Jeff went over with me on things that I was doing right, but mostly we covered what I wasn't doing right. A few things that I wasn't even aware of and a few I was. Sometimes having a friend who cares and is willing to spend the time to help is all it takes for you to advance. I am grateful to have friends like Jeff and Steve who have helped me along on this journey. Last year at this time my comfort level was no where near what it is today.

The rest of the day went off without a hitch as Cami continued to improve, Jeff got faster and faster as the day went on as Dave was tuning his suspension on the Husky after each session and Jeff was getting harder and harder to keep up with. Steve kept helping everyone and Mitch got familiar with track and after each session he came in you could tell he was learning it as his confidence was increasing and his tires were showing evidence of him having LOTAFUN with big balled up pieces of rubber. I continued to join A with wide open spaces and was able to work on increasing speed via better lines and continued work on body position. There was one pucker moment in the afternoon session as two guys collided going into 7 (hairpin) and both went down and Jeff was right behind them hunting. Jeff had to do some maneuvers to miss them and ended up in the dirt. It happened right in front of him and me slightly behind. All were okay and the track was cleared by the time we came back around. We did the dinner/cocktail gig again and Dave Moss joined us once again, more ribeyes, veggies and crown royal topped off the evening. We were all tired from riding all day so we called it a bit earlier.

Day 2 to come shortly.

Stites

Kawapuke in training
Day two started off like the first, with breakfast at the shop on the griddle. Chaos of getting registered and bikes teched.

WE were all a little tired and little sore from the previous day but excited to ride again, but this time in reverse. Jeff did one session on the Supermoto to finish the suspension tuning and then switched to the R6 as this direction flows better and is better suited on a sport bike than a Supermoto. Mitch really seemed to enjoy Saturday's session but was definitely more at home in this direction as it really does have a better flow and is much faster in this direction.

Cami kept working with coaches and continued to improve on the Neenja. She continued to ask questions and try and gain knowledge and experience.

I decided since this direction was faster that I would do B again to start the day. After once session I realized I needed to go back into the A group. I decided I was going to ride the 400 with Steve riding his 300 and did a session with him. It was the first time I had ridden the bike on track. Badass little machine and so much fun!! I might buy another one so I can set-up the suspension for me as I left Cami's all set-up for her from Dave Moss. While riding the 400 Jesse Carter passed me on his wife's 400 and again I tried to stay with him for as long as I could to watch lines. It was short lived as he's much to fast, but it's awesome to watch a guy with talent rail the shit out of the little bikes. I was ringing that little bikes neck and when I brought the bike in something didn't seem right as the bike had a noticeably louder. I was super bummed as it sounded horrific. I didn't give a shit about the bike to much I was more concerned that I might have ended Cami's day as she was really starting to get a rhythm. Steve and I tore into the bike thinking the header pipe had come loose or that maybe the intake popped off. We found everything tight. There were lots of 400's there so I started around the pits asking questions. Come to find out that sometime the pair valve house with pop off. After taking the seats off, side fairings and the tank we were able to find the culprit and fix it. I am going to put a hose clamp on that bitch for the next track day so that can't happen again. Cami and I both missed a session because of this and I felt pretty bad because I wanted her to have as much track time as possible so she could continue to improve.

After her bike was fixed I decided to do a session with Mitch. We rolled out and rode at pace putting heat into the tires and made it almost a full lap when I decided I needed to pass him now or he would run away and I would never see him again much like Jeff had done all weekend. I went around on turn 4 and worked my ass off to keep him behind me. He must of been playing with me because I kept him behind me a few laps before the fucker reeled me back in and passed me and he kept it that way as he slowly put more and more distance on me with each corner despite my best to bring him in closer. That was super fun bro and I am glad we got turn some laps together.

After lunch I think we were all feeling pretty tired and it was showing in our energy level and how we all felt. I decided I was going to do two more sessions, but was going to drop down to C group to ride with my wife. I borrowed Steve's 300 and rode those last two sessions with her and it was awesome. It was awesome to ride on a race track with my bride. I kept checking to see if the pace was good and she was always right there. Then I would follow her for a bit, then pass her and have her follow. Absolutely amazing time.

In closing I am always anxious to get back as the riding and the track is super fun but it's secondary to the people that show up. We always have such a good time and laugh our asses off. I can't recall a time there when anyone disagreed or got upset, it just doesn't really happen. We always help each other and just have fun. The vibe there is always so pleasing and while I think people might want to come and hang maybe they don't. But, they should because this group will go great lengths to help. There are no egos, just lets be comfortable, let's have fun and let ride motorcycles, eat good food and drink whiskey. Once again Steve just plain crushes it and is our race track encyclopedia, always the most laughing and shenanigan's when he is there. Mitch it was so awesome hanging with you again, it's been a long time and it was an absolute pleasure riding with you, bullshitting and just plain shit talking, I hope you come back sooner than later. And as always this doesn't happen without Jeff. He goes out of his way to help as many people possible to come to the track and ride and will go way out of his way to make it happen. Then when you get there he will set you up with tech guys, suspension people, and then go and get you the best rider coach he knows all so you can excel and have a good time while there. He does all this while providing the best space do it from, his shop at the track.

Until next time, thanks to everyone I absolutely love these get togethers!

E8296338-2C50-41DE-B517-50C4ED2D6C45.jpeg

7E4DDE8A-6E76-4F50-AD4D-11BDB9CE800E.jpeg5130C685-D389-494A-B6B7-89E11752C48B.jpeg

CZLoco

artist formerly known as quad destroyer and...
i hated every second of the weekend... except the good parts. I showed Cora the fast line to the 505... hehe
I was going through my video a few days ago, trying to figure out what does or does not lead to the "Maui X" on the map.
This one can be edited, and has some Cora on it.
But it was her last lap of the day and she was kinda tired/slow on it.
I'll try to get it uploaded for her anyway, after I cut out the X-spot.

BigGar

high on placebo
You're all savages.
We'll be in Mexico next week with Ryan and Bonnie, enjoying all that Baja and desert racing has to offer.
6 may even make a guest appearance.

We've got a few extra campsites if anyone else feels like joining.

Pete's Camp, just north of San Felipe.

Last edited:
OP
maui

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
You're all savages.
We'll be in Mexico next week with Ryan and Bonnie, enjoying all that Baja and desert racing has to offer.
yes and yes

Mondays and Tuesdays generally have less people showing up. Makes for a nice riding session for sure. :up:

OP
maui

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
You're all savages.

We've got a few extra campsites if anyone else feels like joining.

Pete's Camp, just north of San Felipe.

View attachment 61895
damn just realized I will be traveling then. that picture looks great!

The Q4s have more grip than I can exploit.

The tire warmers helped more than I thought they would, reduces tire wear significantly.

I went out on a cold tire and it chewed it up.

Sunday was better for me. Stites, maui and I all got in on an A group. It was a good session, that fuckin Stites guy got away from me for a bit, maui is long gone, I just turned up the powah, reeled him in and made a pass on turn 2. Never looked back. I had him earlier, but I thought it would of been a bit aggressive since it's just a track day.

Tire warmers, I'm a believer.

Stites

Kawapuke in training
So. For anybody who has thought about joining this group of regulars all I can say is do it. Nobody cares what you do or say on the board. Come hang out and ride or just hang out. The toughest part is leaving to go home. Quite literally one of the best groups of people you will ever meet.
Except for Ninjabitch’s main ho Tery mutha fucking Schiavo

Top Bottom