Thunderhill (East 3 mile) track day Nov 30 Dec 1.

rumble phish

BAMF+
Of all the tracks I've ridden (not that many) T-Hill is hands down my favorite. Fernley (sp?) is second.

Turns 1 (fast LH sweeper),2 (long LH carousel),5 (the "Cyclone"), and 9 (blind RH rise). Fucking LOVE that track.

CZLoco

artist formerly known as quad destroyer and...
Glad to hear that nobody WE know went home on a medivac or anything other than what they rode/drove in on. :up:

Hope the other folks were "okay".

OP
maui

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
Stites said that they have started to repave Reno-Fernley which evidently had been in disrepair for a long time.

The Ridge Motorsports Park in Shelton is one of my favorites

Thill is great and just by sheer accessibility probably the best track on the west coast for me.

CZLoco

artist formerly known as quad destroyer and...
Maui is the K7 stored on the east coast?
Just wondering.
I'd love to organize a track day at COTA (MotoGP track in Austin) so more folks from the East Coast could join up on a weekend.
But I suspect most who would actually ride will be on the left coast.

Vegas12

BAMF+
really? Cause this weekend he was talking about buying you a new spandex outfit with a cape and shit. You're still good with wearing your underwear on the outside right?
What underwear???

OP
maui

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
Maui is the K7 stored on the east coast?
Just wondering.
I'd love to organize a track day at COTA (MotoGP track in Austin) so more folks from the East Coast could join up on a weekend.
But I suspect most who would actually ride will be on the left coast.
the K7, R6, War Horse, (and a few others) all live at Thunderhill. Texas is a three day drive from there as I recall. Easier to come to Thill

OP
maui

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
I see Shaivo as more of the Tick, possibly wonder boy.

frEEK already has his super costume but I never hear from him any more.

Stites

That's Mister Black Flag to you
Of all the tracks I've ridden (not that many) T-Hill is hands down my favorite. Fernley (sp?) is second.

Turns 1 (fast LH sweeper),2 (long LH carousel),5 (the "Cyclone"), and 9 (blind RH rise). Fucking LOVE that track.

As Jeff mentioned I am hearing from a friend who met with the new owners that there are plans to repair/repack the track as it was absolutely shit a few years ago with big cracks and covered in dirt and dust. I can only hope it comes back because it has a ton of configurations and was an equally fun track to Thill.

That being said Thills facilities are unmatched to most tracks.

On a side note I rode three days ago on Sunday and only did 5 of 7 sessions and my upper legs are still on fire.....at this I assume lactic acid from the workout of being on the warhorse on the those long as corners.

Terry_Schiavo

in transition as "ill fuK anything" lucystrike
The Ridge Motorsports Park in Shelton is one of my favorites
Thill is great and just by sheer accessibility probably the best track on the west coast for me.
was watching some car show on a 2800 channel and they had an endurance lemons race for cars... they had some in car shots but not for long. I wanted to see them enter the kink at the end of the front straight and go up the hill. I do like it!!

OP
maui

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
was watching some car show on a 2800 channel and they had an endurance lemons race for cars... they had some in car shots but not for long. I wanted to see them enter the kink at the end of the front straight and go up the hill. I do like it!!
up the hill, turn 2 at the ridge?

Terry_Schiavo

up the hill, turn 2 at the ridge?
yes...the blind right hander. I was hoping they'd do a full lap, in car POV, but noooo... the editor wanted to tell a story with all the brief shots. Guess they didnt want to show how slow they go.

OP
maui

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
yes...the blind right hander. I was hoping they'd do a full lap, in car POV, but noooo... the editor wanted to tell a story with all the brief shots. Guess they didnt want to show how slow they go.
Turn 3 is a great turn but man does it eat people up. Turn one is flat, 2 is the left up the hill that is really steep. Those are some of the most fun turns there. The schedule at the Ridge this year is really lame. Me and Dino were talking to Rob from Motofit asking him and he said that it's been a challenge to get a spot. He asked us to consider ORP but that weekend is no good for me.

Labor day weekend is about all I can swing for the next short while until 10/12-13 and then it's going to be narrow. I'm looking also at the 2 mile track day in 11/2-3 with Carters. Zoom Zoom has 11/16-17, Carters 11/30-12/1. Towards the end of the year the weather can Gert a little dicey as you recall but I'm going to try to get there as much as possible.

Stites

I am still trying to make Labor Day Monday work, right now I am 50/50 so it could go either way.

I will definitely make 1-2 of those Oct/Nov events happen.

OP
maui

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
Hope you can make it work it was nice to have you guys show up

so far looks like I'm riding solo again. Kim will be there on Monday though.

Stites

Hope you can make it work it was nice to have you guys show up

so far looks like I'm riding solo again. Kim will be there on Monday though.
Going to book today for Sunday, trying to con a few other LAB's folks to come down.

OP
maui

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
Scott, that would be great. I forgot to mention that I spoke to Dino on the phone this morning and he might come.

Stites

Scott, that would be great. I forgot to mention that I spoke to Dino on the phone this morning and he might come.
I hope Dino can make it as it’s always fun to watch you guys trade paint.

I am all booked for Sunday in B+

Terry_Schiavo

moto America to race at the Ridge in 2020. I hear changes are coming to the front straight

OP
maui

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
moto America to race at the Ridge in 2020. I hear changes are coming to the front straight
they've always had plans for a chicane on the front. Is it something other than that? Like a sweet jump going into 1?

I hope they get their schedule a little better next year. Thats one of the really fun tracks.

Terry_Schiavo

they've always had plans for a chicane on the front. Is it something other than that? Like a sweet jump going into 1?
I hope they get their schedule a little better next year. Thats one of the really fun tracks.
I heard they are going to incorporate ramps, moats & snapping salt water crocs... lawyers are working on the disclaimer releases but outside of some indemnity clauses its shovel ready. :D

I heard a chicane and some airfence

OP
maui

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
they lost a rider earlier this year during a race I think (July?). Might be they they're rethinking some parts of the track. Turn 1 is 40' wide but also the top of 6th on my R6, doesn't feel that wide.

Terry_Schiavo

they lost a rider earlier this year during a race I think (July?). Might be they they're rethinking some parts of the track. Turn 1 is 40' wide but also the top of 6th on my R6, doesn't feel that wide.
reminds me of the "old" turn 1 at Daytona... that wasnt even that big... and lots of grass on the outside. Figure the pace at a MA race is a couple seconds faster. I had gone up the hill with my knee on the deck hugging the right side and still managed to drift over to the left side of 3. Also Id love to see what kind of a duel turn 13 creates when "passing" is unrestricted...lol

OP
maui

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
I don't think anyone is going to ever get a knee down in turn 1 at the ridge. On a stock BWM1000rr I had hit the rev limited in 4th on the front and was well into 5th gear up through there. I would think that's in the 160+ range. Plus it's just not that much of a turn.

Terry_Schiavo

I don't think anyone is going to ever get a knee down in turn 1 at the ridge. On a stock BWM1000rr I had hit the rev limited in 4th on the front and was well into 5th gear up through there. I would think that's in the 160+ range. Plus it's just not that much of a turn.
The only thing that is important in is being able to line up your mark for entry into #2 & 3 without killing your momentum you just created from the front straight

OP
maui

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
2 I usually turn in way too early for (gotta fix that) 3 is blind which is probably why it collects so many riders....that or it has a gravity hole. 8 has a gravity hole. I have watched many people pass me going into that turn while I was thinking huh, that's a weird place to pass, then watching them flop down on the dirt.

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
I'm still waiting on them to harvest enough cows to make my damn leathers. What so hard to make an Orca themed set of leathers.

Terry_Schiavo

yeah Id have alot more confidence IF I wasnt on a borrowed bike...lol. 2 is pretty heavy trail braking & down shifting that I run to the right side to get a better view @3 going up the hill. 4 & 5 just a long straight... finding a ref point for 6 was tricky when youre approaching other riders. I stay left on 7 & V off 8 with a downshift then tip in driving towards 9 that I aim for the rumble on the left at the top then drift over to the right on the left... leaving alot of space on either side... to downshift & brake hard for 11... & clip the inside curbing...drive out to the right side then over to the left to setup for 12... for a couple gears til 13.

Last edited:
OP
maui

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
I'm still waiting on them to harvest enough cows to make my damn leathers. What so hard to make an Orca themed set of leathers.
not sure height wise but there's some leathers hanging in my shop that are pretty big. I asked Dino, we thought they were either Siomons old leathers, or Greggs or possibly those are two answers to the the same question? Anyway, they might fit.

yeah Id have alot more confidence IF I wasnt on a borrowed bike...lol. 2 is pretty heavy trail braking & down shifting that I run to the right side to get a better view @3 going up the hill. 4 & 5 just a long straight... finding a ref point for 6 was tricky when youre approaching other riders. I stay left on 7 & V off 8 with a downshift then tip in driving towards 9 that I aim for the rumble on the left at the top then drift over to the right on the left... leaving alot of space on either side... to downshift & brake hard for 11... & clip the inside curbing...drive out to the right side then over to the left to setup for 12... for a couple gears til 13.
next year I'll haul a certain R1 up there if you like and you can try all that. I'll show you on 7 the "hot" down hill passing place that gets you hyper-mega drive going into 8. Most people don't realize 8 has an A&B to it. :up:

Terry_Schiavo

I believe the AGVs (red, silver, & white) were ones I bought as spares... they be a size 60 so they should fit Rhino Rhino (might be abit long in the arms/legs)
Yeah I got a bunch of stuff for the R1 including suspension. Probably need a day or so to get it all on and in the ball park.
Pretty sure it needs tires too but I scored a spare set of wheels here that Ill mount up some fresh rubber on and get it shipped out. Maybe later this year? I can fly out & wrench, orgainze, etc... just for pleasure if you want to give me a punch list?

OP
maui

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
I believe the AGVs (red, silver, & white) were ones I bought as spares... they be a size 60 so they should fit Rhino Rhino (might be abit long in the arms/legs)
Yeah I got a bunch of stuff for the R1 including suspension. Probably need a day or so to get it all on and in the ball park.
Pretty sure it needs tires too but I scored a spare set of wheels here that Ill mount up some fresh rubber on and get it shipped out. Maybe later this year? I can fly out & wrench, orgainze, etc... just for pleasure if you want to give me a punch list?
if you ask nicely you might be able to mail all that shit to Stites, If he can get it by Friday before he leaves to drop off the Turbo Busa.

OP
maui

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
Spoke with Dino this morning, he is not going to make it this time.

Stites

Leaving Reno shortly and headed to San Jose, then to Willows.

Looking forward to riding the War Horse again and hanging with Maui. I hope in the future more of you can make it as Jeff has forwarded an awesome opportunity with his garage all setup to ride, wrench and bench race.

Terry_Schiavo

Leaving Reno shortly and headed to San Jose, then to Willows.
Looking forward to riding the War Horse again and hanging with Maui. I hope in the future more of you can make it as Jeff has forwarded an awesome opportunity with his garage all setup to ride, wrench and bench race.
I tried... there were 8 folks ahead of me off on Thurs, Fri, & Tues. :( Probably a karma coincidence cause I would hate to be on the left coast while under threat of a hurricane on the east.

Stites

After riding the Warhorse two weeks ago and again yesterday, it all finally clicked. I haven't ridden back to back like that in a long while. Typically just once a year and yesterday it all kind of came back. My confidence in the tires, the bike and me.......the last two sessions of the day were the best. The last session was the only one I ran from start to finish as it felt the best. I came in early on others sessions as I could feel fatigue in the early sessions and on one session I just felt jerky/unsmooth and decided to come in and regroup. On several other sessions I knew we were nearly the end and I had super smooth laps so I just came in to end on a great lap.

The last sessions saw more driving out of the corners, a bit more lean angle and very smooth intentional un-jerky transitions in between turns. In the past few track sessions I have done, I have left the track happy that I went but never wanting to do more.......after yesterday that was not the case. I left really wanting to do this more.......it's been a long time since I have ridden a motorcycle like that and yesterday I believe I re-kindled a love of being leaned over at speed.

On a side note Sienna is asking when she can ride a track bike.........and Cami is talking about it as well.........expensive, but family sport?

Once again thanks to Jeff for the hospitality and his amazing set-up that makes it so easy to come out and have fun. And he always has us in the shade!!

Jeff rode B+ with me yesterday until he got booted out of B+ by the staff. Apparently he kept passing the control riders and they were like you are hurting all the B+ riders feelings.......He road A in the afternoon sessions and is riding A today as well. Jeff passed me yesterday as I was approaching turn 9 and I was at 100/105 mph........I felt like a slow poke as he jetted past on the inside and he maneuvered through 9 and down the hill in a butter smooth fashion. His riding and skill has come a long way in the last few years.

On a side note, a wasp in your helmet at speed is always interesting.

Possible talks of doing an event in Oct.....hope a few of you can make it

Last edited:

Terry_Schiavo

Im thinking we should try to do an East coast mini get together. I can supply ~4 bikes.

Terry_Schiavo

I would love that, I am just not sure I could swing it this year......maybe though.
What track?
Herrins is a 2hr drive from Atlantas airport. I can probably wrangle up some more bikes depending on how many will show.

Vegas12

BAMF+
Herrins is a 2hr drive from Atlantas airport. I can probably wrangle up some more bikes depending on how many will show.
Shiavo: let's do this closer to me....there'll be a lot of food, fightin' and fuckin'!!

Stites: Awesome!! What should I wear???

Shiavo: Doesn't matter....just gonna be you and me!!!

Terry_Schiavo

Shiavo: let's do this closer to me....there'll be a lot of food, fightin' and fuckin'!!
Shiavo: Doesn't matter....just gonna be you and me!!!

Hooooaaaaa.... you got to put a spoiler alert in there
Shiavo: Doesn't matter....just gonna be you and me!

Stites

I thought you were in a Florida? Is Herrins track a public track or private?

OP
maui

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
Just left Thill. Fun weekend for sure. I think there’s something mid October maybe. Carters runs a really good event. Thanks to the Stites clan for good company and help yesterday. Today I rode the morning mostly by myself. Good fun. Did a couple laps with my friends Kim and Dale.

Last edited:
Top Bottom