Thunderhill (East 3 mile) track day Nov 30 Dec 1.

roadczar

BAMF
Website
www.roadczar.com
Hm... Thanks for sharing, I will definitely consider other options.

As mentioned the level thing is kinda a gimmick. Doesn't matter what your level is, you go 1-2-3-4.

It was supposed to be a 2 on 1 coach deal. It turned out to be a 3 on 1 deal.
The bike they gave me broke. They gave me a new one but still.
I got black flagged for following their passing rules, which they said later I actually was following. Missed a session on that.
The "Coach" was brand new. didn't really know his job yet.
He spent all the time with the other 2 guys who were 1st time at the track, apologized to me for not riding with me (wtf?)
At the end of the second day he asked for our impressions. Rider one said he felt like he went from 6 laps a session to 8, rider 2 said the same(they didn't know each other) I said I was doing 12 or 13 laps a sessions when I started and 12 or 13 laps a session when I ended. The rider coach said "sounds about right"

Never went back.

You can go to Thunderhill and rent a ZX400 (www.feellikeapro.com) all day long, if you ride with Carters (or Pacific track time) theres 20+ rider coaches just waiting for some one to ask them for pointers. The coaching is included with the track day. Theres also a bunch of "schools" there with bike rentals. Ken Hill does some too, I've

If you go to the racers edge school in Chuckwalla, theres also a bunch off really good coaches (Someone named Stuman if you're lucky). Not sure on the bike rental but if you catch me on the right day I could probably help you out. Dale Keiffer operates that school. I think they video you, do some class room stuff and then video you again. Stu would have a much better break down on this. Chuckwalla is not a glamorous track but it is super effective. I'm trying to see how to spend a bit of time there this winter.

OP
maui

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
Hm... Thanks for sharing, I will definitely consider other options.
Rhino was pretty surprised by his experience weekend before last and is planning for a return visit(s) soon.

Thunderhill is built out really well with both track(s) and facility improvements and they aren't stopping any time soon. As I left they were breaking ground on a dedicated tire shop (east side).

bike rentals, schools, food etc. The town of Willows 10 minutes away which is great. Chico is 40 minuses away for bigger items, Sacramento is 85 miles away which puts you in the city category for everything else.

Terry_Schiavo

in transition as "ill fuK anything" lucystrike
I shall have a report on GP wheel & frame in a few weeks if I can get my wheels over to them.

OP
maui

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
Shaivo flys from Forida and Rhino from NYC. If you're in the midwest you're closer then they are, or me for that matter. You can do like Rhino and come for a look see. My preference would be to sign up for one of the many many school days which are usually around a track day as well. That way you can get 3 or 4 days of riding in. If you want to let me know, I'd probably do the same school days. Rhino has decided that Thunderhill is worthy of keeping a bike at now.

www.feellikeapro.com will take care of you for school or track days. The east track on a 400 is completely doable. In the A group you're gonna have riders blasting past you +40 or 50mph on the front straight regardless of your skill level I think, you might get them back by the end of turn 1 or 2...maybe, but that track flows more for bigger bikes. I would certainly not hesitate to run a 400 there though.

The extra HP on the R6 is a huge advantage. I think in B groups the liter bikes are going to be the most fun and get you out of a pack, Stuman once mentioned that the extra power is sometimes just a big help when you get behind someone taking up 30' of track width.

On the west track the 400's are much more well suited. I was riding behind a couple of control riders on 400's (Jesse Carter and Eli Maddock) and if not for the extra HP on the R6 I would not have been able to see them for more then a lap. Jesse let me by I suspect to follow and make sure I wasn't being a dick, I could roughly stay with Eli because I had a lot more power, but I think he was also just fucking around. He kept looking over his shoulder to see if I was there and I got the feeling he was laughing a wee little bit.

Also if you are on a 400 the chance of one of the Carters guys riding a 400 in a session with you is high so you get an apples to apples experience. Eli has helped me in the past a couple of times.

Terry_Schiavo

I like the west track alot... east track is fun too... but the west in the clockwise really taxes your brakes & trailing skills

roadczar

BAMF
Website
www.roadczar.com
If schedules align, I would definitely be up for track days with rental hardware somewhere in Cal. Anywhere in US really.
It's been a long time (2004) since I would consider myself even remotely fast. I did briefly have the above R6 in 2013, but wound up crashing it to shit after changing to Dunlop D209GPA / D211GPA. I was talked into using 200 rear on a 5.5” rear. I think it was combination of 200 rear and super stiff Dunlops that was causing me issues. Also, I did not have tire warmers and had difficulties getting initial heat into the rear tire. Tire compounds have drastically changed since 2004.

This is me (white leathers) leading followed by one of the pace riders on GSXR750. This was my first time on racetrack in about 10 years still very rusty as you can see. They gave me a lot of crap and quickly bumped me out of the novice group LOL.

OP
maui

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
looks good :up:

You not crowding the slower riders and making sketchy passes shows good maturity. I rather ride with people like that. Fast enough but not stupid. Thats how the novice group (which you clearly were not supposed to be in) is meant to be. That track looks nice, I would think a Supermoto/R6 would be really fun to race there. It's probably closer to the West track at Thill (minus elevation changes).

I would think the Novice groups at Thill would also be too slow for you but it's up to you. It is not racing so there is a lot of pressure reduction for people who just want to get back to riding and have fun. Pretty much every group out there will help you find your slot, better for you, better for them, better for everyone else.

As Shaivo mentioned the West track at Thunderhill is super fun. It's lower speeds, more technical, so if you've been out of the grove for a while maybe an easier leg in. Plus we can BBQ out of the shop which I think everyone said was a good time. The East track is certainly fine too though.

The bike rental guys treat you like a rock star. You only have to provide your own umbrella girls. Otherwise if you wanna run out of the shop everyone pitches in to help. The Carters control riders are pretty much gonna ride right up to the shop door to help you out, when we did the3 last BBQ a couple of them also came by.

Stites

That's Mister Black Flag to you
A different coach helping out in a different session. He came to our pit with a map and a pencil and went of entry and exit points
6A2CE568-C81F-440A-A5C7-6AFFEB2455E1.jpeg

roadczar

BAMF
Website
www.roadczar.com
looks good :up:

You not crowding the slower riders and making sketchy passes shows good maturity. I rather ride with people like that. Fast enough but not stupid. Thats how the novice group (which you clearly were not supposed to be in) is meant to be. That track looks nice, I would think a Supermoto/R6 would be really fun to race there. It's probably closer to the West track at Thill (minus elevation changes).

I would think the Novice groups at Thill would also be too slow for you but it's up to you. It is not racing so there is a lot of pressure reduction for people who just want to get back to riding and have fun. Pretty much every group out there will help you find your slot, better for you, better for them, better for everyone else.

As Shaivo mentioned the West track at Thunderhill is super fun. It's lower speeds, more technical, so if you've been out of the grove for a while maybe an easier leg in. Plus we can BBQ out of the shop which I think everyone said was a good time. The East track is certainly fine too though.

The bike rental guys treat you like a rock star. You only have to provide your own umbrella girls. Otherwise if you wanna run out of the shop everyone pitches in to help. The Carters control riders are pretty much gonna ride right up to the shop door to help you out, when we did the3 last BBQ a couple of them also came by.
I always ran advanced, but this was first track venture after being rear ended at Road America by a squid on a Fireblade. It took me two years to fully recover (I think, with brain injuries you never know :(), I was very nervous and enrolled myself into the beginner group. The rules were: no passing except on straights.

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
Rhino was pretty surprised by his experience weekend before last and is planning for a return visit(s) soon.

Thunderhill is built out really well with both track(s) and facility improvements and they aren't stopping any time soon. As I left they were breaking ground on a dedicated tire shop (east side).

bike rentals, schools, food etc. The town of Willows 10 minutes away which is great. Chico is 40 minuses away for bigger items, Sacramento is 85 miles away which puts you in the city category for everything else.
The fun of the Track was much different then my years of drag racing and ripping things down between runs. You get plenty of laps and time on the track.. the coach riders where awsome. Explaining anything and everything. I really liked that. I watched our crew closely.. all of them are good riders.. the fun and love you share while in their presence is exactly why Ian put this place together.

I had a great time and look forward to doing a bunch of days out there. Hell I'm even looking at house options to cut my distance down. :)

It would be great to get more people from here that still ride to get out there. Weather your Fast or slow doesn't matter.. a track day is not a race but an opportunity to grow and share excellent times with great friends.

Stites

Not sure who this is but he ran Saturday when we ran the track in the clockwise configuration. Good video!

Stites

They filmed this video during our lunch break on Sunday, turned out so bad ass and has me jonesing to ride the track again!!

Cory Call and Jesse Carter are the riders in the video and both are stand up guys that just love to ride!

OP
maui

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
Not sure who this is but he ran Saturday when we ran the track in the clockwise configuration. Good video!

John Valls filming, pretty sure he's a Carters control rider. Gio Alvarez, also Carters control rider, is in front, (makes a pss at the 1 min mark on the outside of 5W). Looks like Gio got up ahead a bit then backed off again (1:40). Gio was in the shop that night, I think you sat next to him part of the time.

Stites

John Valls filming, pretty sure he's a Carters control rider. Gio Alvarez, also Carters control rider, is in front, (makes a pss at the 1 min mark on the outside of 5W). Looks like Gio got up ahead a bit then backed off again (1:40). Gio was in the shop that night, I think you sat next to him part of the time.

Yeah Gio was a super nice guy, seemed to be a pretty humble guy.

Scott

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
I set my GC with a tow hitch and wiring.. I'm half way there. Looking for a trailer.. or a toy hauler.

OP
maui

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
I set my GC with a tow hitch and wiring.. I'm half way there. Looking for a trailer.. or a toy hauler.
you gonna pick up a trailer or toyhauler on the west coast or drive one over?

I am looking at changing my current (tag) trailer set up for a 5th wheel toy hauler.

OP
maui

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
Stites has confirmed for Saturday.

weather is looking sketchy, not the first time for this end of season run. It's rained the last couple of times at night, first session as been a "dry off the track" run. Then by 10 or so the sun has made the rest of the track dry. Still it's a good idea to take track conditions into account (fucking duh). To me the hardest thing has been the late afternoon session when you are coming up between 8&9 the sun is just laser beam strong in your eyes when your' looking for the baking cones on 9.

So it's going to be Shaivo, Dino, Possibly Mark, Stites and myself.

Stites

Stites has confirmed for Saturday.

weather is looking sketchy, not the first time for this end of season run. It's rained the last couple of times at night, first session as been a "dry off the track" run. Then by 10 or so the sun has made the rest of the track dry. Still it's a good idea to take track conditions into account (fucking duh). To me the hardest thing has been the late afternoon session when you are coming up between 8&9 the sun is just laser beam strong in your eyes when your' looking for the baking cones on 9.

So it's going to be Shaivo, Dino, Possibly Mark, Stites and myself.

Confirmed for Sunday my friend

OP
maui

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
ok, got that backwards. Dino is on for Saturday, you're on for Sunday.

Stites

Laser beam strong and baking cones......what exactly are we talking about? Want me to bring brownies?

OP
maui

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
sorry, braking cones.

brownies, yes

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
you gonna pick up a trailer or toyhauler on the west coast or drive one over?

I am looking at changing my current (tag) trailer set up for a 5th wheel toy hauler.
I would pick one up here. Bring the KTM next year and on the way there and back stay a bit and ride some cool places. But that may be pushing it as I given myself until fall of 2020 to be firm on relocation.

Stites

Well let’s hope there’s a glitch in the radar or something. It’s now switched to a chance of snow at the track! WTF?

Regardless of what happens at the track it looks like I am driving there in the snow and driving back in the snow. Kind of excited because there is nothing more beautiful than snowing in the Sierra’s especially Donner Lake 021712E5-75D2-41EB-9A47-F11EAD9F6D42.png

Stites

I see what you're doing there. You're just trying to make me fly out with that Snow word.
Supposed to snow here 3 times over the next 10 days, nothing major but snow none the less

Rhino

K-9 BAMF
Throw some studded tires on the Sumo.. and have a time. :)

pimpslayer

BAMF+
With the brouhaha surrounding Laguna due to the change of management, I'm keeping an eye on this outfit. Because they sponsor a track day experience at Laguna.

Fly in, ride their bike, experience the Gravity Cavity before the place gets closed up...sounds good to me at this time.

They haven't posted a schedule for 2020 yet, however...

Terry_Schiavo

laguna wont close...how many days does skip barber do??

OP
maui

maui

Big Bore diggidy mayhem
With the brouhaha surrounding Laguna due to the change of management, I'm keeping an eye on this outfit. Because they sponsor a track day experience at Laguna.

Fly in, ride their bike, experience the Gravity Cavity before the place gets closed up...sounds good to me at this time.

They haven't posted a schedule for 2020 yet, however...
feellikeapro doesn't provide the trackday, they are a vendor.

as for Laguna closing, I have no idea. I know the people who live in the valley have been trying to get them to close for a long time now. There's a couple I think that lawyered up and even though the track was there first, feel it needs to go.

So why wait, you should go the next chance you get

pimpslayer

BAMF+
feellikeapro doesn't provide the trackday, they are a vendor.

as for Laguna closing, I have no idea. I know the people who live in the valley have been trying to get them to close for a long time now. There's a couple I think that lawyered up and even though the track was there first, feel it needs to go.

So why wait, you should go the next chance you get
Yeah, I'm reading on other forums that the guy who is running it now is in bed with the County Supervisors, and has been ushered in to run the track further into the ground so they can then turn it over to the big money contractors. You know, to save it by building more McMansions on it...

I also saw where SCRAMP is behind on their Lease Payment to the county. No way for me to know if it's true, but guys out in the Bay area say so. And they would know better than me.

Oh, and good to know about Feellikeapro being a vendor. I didn't pick up on that part...

Top Bottom