Those new Quick Jacks are fucking garbage.

TR3B

Old but forgotten
I have an old OG one I've been using for 5 years. That thing is great. Easy to go together, no leaks, clear assembly instructions. I got a second one this week - the new EXT version - because all of the newer cars' jack points are too far apart for the old model.

First up the Schrader valves weren't seated. BOTH of them. You put 50 psi in 'em per the instructions and it all came right back out after a minute or two. Fortunately I have the tool to tighten them and was OCD enough to check them again on general principal but some shade tree weekend warrior dad wouldn't have even known they leaked much less how to fix them. That is beyond bullshit.

The old instructions tell you to use teflon tape on the hose fitting threads but the new version includes a bottle of liquid thread tape instead with the instruction 'follow manufacturer dry time'. The manufacturers dry time reads 'allow for to enough time dry thread sealer'. Great. So are we talking an hour or 24 hours? The fuck? I gave it an hour and on the first lift my garage looked like an ATF Bellagio fountain. Went to take the fittings apart to try and re-seal them and they are fucking glued together. Took a breaker bar to separate them. I cleaned the threads before I applied it, put plenty on and they were definitely dry - still leaked like a motherfucker. And why the fuck am I even doing this? Just put these motherfuckers together at the factory and charge me another $50. Assholes.

Then the shit starts to sound deadly. The bottle of cheap Chinese thread sealer has warnings about 'do not let product touch skin allergy death caution'. Then inside the Bendpak instructions it warns that tiny pinholes in the hoses can rupture with enough pressure to inject you with ATF and kill you.

This should have been a 30 minute job like the last one. Instead it's needlessly turned into a fiasco. And now I'm kind of afraid of it injecting me with a deadly dose of Mercon III. Cheap Chinese garbage.

The kicker - when I called Bendpak technical support to voice my concerns about the changes to their product their phone says they're closed for the holiday. It's Tuesday June 22nd. What holiday?

Rant /off.

OP
TR3B

TR3B

Old but forgotten
Pretty funny as far as rants go :up:

Are you going to return it?
I'm gonna calm down, use some tape like I should have in the first place then give it another day in court. If it leaks again I'm gonna drag it outside and put some 50 BMG rounds through it and then I'm gonna return it.

Vicious_Cycle

they/them - LABusas Road Captain
Good rant. :up:

I have a brand new one that I ordered right before The Rona hit, and picked it up at Home Depot a couple weeks before the lockdowns started. That's when I decided FUCK CHINA.

So it's still in the boxes. I've moved them from my shop to the garage and back, once or twice. They are kind of heavy and always in my way.

Your post has me kind of wondering if I got the old shitty one, or the new extra shitty one. Either way, I think the window of opportunity to return it to Home Depot closed a year ago. 🤷‍♂️

Maybe I'll assemble it on the next rainy Saturday, just to see if I can inject myself with Dexron and get this shit over with.

BIggerDanno

Titanium Bad Ass
Mine started leaking from one of the hose quick disconnects. I emailed them 2 weeks ago, have not received a response. I'll try calling them tomorrow.
Mine is about 6-8 months old.

OP
TR3B

TR3B

Old but forgotten
I had to look up the included thread sealer by part number to find out what the actual drying time is - it's 24 fucking hours. No wonder they don't want to tell you up front. I pulled all that shit apart, cleaned the threads and used teflon tape - no leaks and works fine. Well, it worked fine until the reservoir 'vacuum collapsed' itself the first time I lifted a car with it. Turns out the vent isn't venting even though it's completely open.

What a magnificent piece of shit.

zxfan

BAM
Had a similar problem with leaking fittings on mine. The tolerances on the threads are not exactly what you would call precise.

Took them all apart, brake cleaned them, used good quality Teflon tape and all is good.

Basically I would consider that a very minor issue.

The lift works great on my CTS-V and I think it's a pretty good value for the price.

It doesn't require a lot of space to store, easy to move around if you have a smooth floor and will lift the car high enough to do anything I will ever want to do.

OP
TR3B

TR3B

Old but forgotten
I guess my primary complaint is that the old one was great, why would they fuck that up? The OG version had a professional quality pump, metal reservoir, thicker hoses, a nicer controller and superior fittings. The new one is like a Harbor Freight knock off.

I also did a little research and found the video by Bendpak explaining the change to thread sealer. A bunch of their customers don't know how to use teflon tape and were getting it into the lines and clogging their pumps - so they gave them slow curing Chinese death glue instead. Ridiculous.

tinhead

Has never named a pet
To be fair, this thread shows there's guys here whose assembly skills are...challenged...easily.🔧🛠⛏

OP
TR3B

TR3B

Old but forgotten
To be fair, this thread shows there's guys here whose assembly skills are...challenged...easily.🔧🛠⛏
My skills are fine. I got fucked when I went against my better judgement and followed Quickjacks retarded Chinese directions.

Last edited:
Top Bottom