This place needs a watch thread

tinhead

Has never named a pet
It even links to my smartfone.
Those 5 figure $$ things with hands that this thread is infested with, show me the one that links to a smartfone. :luckystrike:
It's 'tyme' to move out of the eighteenth century. :dash2:
1573223768435.png

tinhead

Has never named a pet
:Buelldozer:Its sapphire red, dammit!!:ireful:
The Chinese fone camera makes it look pink,:moon:

BigGar

high on placebo
Does the spring band setup allow the watch to rock back and forth on your wrist? That would improve comfort I suppose.

A23

BAMF
Gorgeous A23.

Love the brushed steel vs. the chrome they seem to have switched over to.

Is that the band it came with?
I like the polished ones too...got a nice price on this one.

The guy I bought it from threw in a black strap as well. I'm looking for a bead blasted bracelet that matches the case.

Ain't much out there.

I had a few rare vintage Squale watches...they was stolen.. :finger:

A23

BAMF
Good watch. I assume it has an ETA 2824 movement....the small block Chevy of watch movements.

S.C.
yeah... it does. eta 2824-2...a workhorse.

I was gonna get the SeikoSBDC061 till the Squale popped up local.

I still want the Seiko...but I'd change the hands.

HG

I’m here for the entertainment

That Squale is nice.

I was hot on the The Seiko Shogun (SBDC029) until the 061 came along (MM200)

You mentioned changing the hands on the Seiko. What would You replace them with?

Original MM300 hands?

OP
scottcolbath

scottcolbath

BAMF+

Also a nice watch. But Seiko puts that same 6R15 movement in watches half the price of the SBDC061. That's always baffled me. I'd expect a bump in movement quality when you cross the $1,000 threshold.

S.C.

HG

scottcolbath scottcolbath Very true. Most Seiko movements power so many other watches. They mass produced them with a generic name as well.
Once you cross the $2k mark then you get into the 8L/9S movements.

Last edited:

HG

Here is borrowed pic of the 061 with MM300 style hands. F507F266-1CFB-40B6-BB1E-85C4852A6C3E.jpeg

A23

BAMF
That Squale is nice.

I was hot on the The Seiko Shogun (SBDC029) until the 061 came along (MM200)

You mentioned changing the hands on the Seiko. What would You replace them with?

Original MM300 hands?
Yeah...that was (is) the plan.

I might just pick-up another 007 and play around with mods. I have some tools...would need a few more.
I could use a new hobby.

Like Scott said, when I first came across the 061 I was a bit disappointed it had the 6R15 in it. The prices on Marine Masters have increased a lot...one used to be able to pick up used ones for under $1,200. I'm always keeping my eyes open for a deal on one.

I'm not getting Seiko's marketing approach at all. Too many similar styles & price points...and their quality control is suffering a bit.

But I bet this one is made pretty well...

HG

I might just pick-up another 007 and play around with mods. I have some tools...would need a few more.
I could use a new hobby.

I'm not getting Seiko's marketing approach at all. Too many similar styles & price points...and their quality control is suffering a bit.
I have 3 versions of the 007. Lol

1 mod, one stock and a stock 009.

Have you seen the parts Crystal Times sells? You can basically build one in any way you want with the parts they sell.

To their marketing approach, seems they are watching the mod world and now they’re building several different colors and combinations of the 007. Quality is slipping too. The main item I see is the misaligned chapter ring.

But you probably won’t see it on that SLA025 😀

Last edited:

HG

I'm a fan of the Samurai hands over most others. Have you considered those? Not dramatically different from the originals, but different enough.

S.C.
Those would look nice too.

A23

BAMF
I have 3 versions of the 007. Lol

1 mod, one stock and a stock 009.

Have you seen the parts Crystal Times sells? You can basically build one in any way you want with the parts they sell.

To their marketing approach, seems they are watching the mod world and now they’re building several different colors and combinations of the 007. Quality is slipping too. The main item I see is the misaligned chapter ring.

But you probably won’t see it on that SLA025 😀
Just started looking at mod parts.

I have an old 009 that's been modded already...it was cheap...I'll play with that one before I tear into my 007.

Found this vid on the Squale. I haven't gone diving in years..but I wouldn't use a 1521...it's too damn nice!

HG

That is nice. I’d like to have one. Especially with the matte finish.
This one caught my eye too.
DD2D9E3A-56EA-489E-9DC9-3454857717EB.jpeg

XXFirefighter

With a Damn Big Hose
3C0BB5D3-AADD-4031-99E3-1E1548BB5BF3.jpeg

as much as I love watches and the number of them I have. I keep this on my wrist. It’s too dam good. I wear it at work, no issues. No scratches or cracks. It’s the stainless version so harder face as well. I’m a sheep, sorry.

fuzzuki

BAMF
Website
www.fuzzy-riders.com
Anything with a legitimate ETA automatic movement should be a good reliable watch.
Be careful, there are fake ETA movements on the market and Its hard to tell the difference.
Seiko mechanical watches are pretty well made at good pricing. I really like Grand Seiko.

The Squale review above is useless. Not one word about the movement.
The movement is really the deciding factor in the value of any watch.

A23

BAMF
The Squale review above is useless. Not one word about the movement.
The movement is really the deciding factor in the value of any watch.
At 11:00 the movement is discussed. Not much...but the ETA 2824-2 is a well known highly regarded engine.

fuzzuki

BAMF
Website
www.fuzzy-riders.com
OK, I stopped listening just before that.
It you're going to do a watch review, Movement should be the first thing to talk about.

Like I said, ETA automatics are money well spent.

Honestly thinking about getting one of these

A23

BAMF
I usually don't go for "modern" style watches...but that MIH is really nice...obviously a quality piece.

A23

BAMF
Be careful, Make sure you see a picture of the movement. If there is any, I mean any signs of rust, walk away.
I've owned that Zodiac for years.

I'll crack it open and take a look.

They've re-issued it in various versions...vintage ones are getting decent money.

A23

BAMF
Found some watches in my desk....ordered some straps & buckles. Meager collection...but I'm looking for vintage tool/dive pieces. The watch on the right is interesting.

IMG_20191119_185603766.jpg

WarpSpeed

BAMF+
I have a new watch coming this week and I'm willing to bet the leather strap will be too short. Where's the best place to look for longer leather (or other material) straps?

OP
scottcolbath

scottcolbath

BAMF+
I have a new watch coming this week and I'm willing to bet the leather strap will be too short. Where's the best place to look for longer leather (or other material) straps?
Amazon. NATO straps come in a large variety of lengths. Barton straps (also on Amazon) should also have some longer straps for you.

You got a proper spring bar tool to swap out straps?

S.C.

WarpSpeed

BAMF+
Amazon. NATO straps come in a large variety of lengths. Barton straps (also on Amazon) should also have some longer straps for you.

You got a proper spring bar tool to swap out straps?

S.C.
No, will need to buy one. Thanks for the reminder.

BigGar

high on placebo
I know I need to get my original band rebuilt or replaced with another if I can find one. In the meantime I'm really enjoying the NATO straps and being able to swap them out in five seconds. I also like the fact that even if a pin fails, I'm not going to lose the watch.

OP
scottcolbath

scottcolbath

BAMF+
I know I need to get my original band rebuilt or replaced with another if I can find one. In the meantime I'm really enjoying the NATO straps and being able to swap them out in five seconds. I also like the fact that even if a pin fails, I'm not going to lose the watch.
I'm a NATO lover. There are many haters out there. But if you sweat and really use the watch, there is no better option. They are not an annoyance on the wrist when sweating, and they clean up real nice.

S.C.

A23

BAMF
I never liked thick NATO straps. I have a few thin ones that are ok.

I broke the new rubber strap I got for the above pictured Squale 1521 wrestling my nephew...I may bite the bullet and get the branded NATO they offer on their site...but $79 bux?!...that ain't cheap.

OP
scottcolbath

scottcolbath

BAMF+
I never liked thick NATO straps. I have a few thin ones that are ok.

I broke the new rubber strap I got for the above pictured Squale 1521 wrestling my nephew...I may bite the bullet and get the branded NATO they offer on their site...but $79 bux?!...that ain't cheap.

If you're going to spend that kind of money, go with an Erika's.

The Original MN Strap by Erika's Originals

S.C.

HG

That’s expensive. But have you seen what a Tudor NATO costs? Over a hundred bux!

I find that most of the natos out there are pretty much the same with the varying weave and thickness. The difference being how it’s branded.
Found this one for your Squale:
Looks just like it

Collections

B13789E4-0E24-4BA6-9355-566079413E5A.jpeg 23724307-F0F5-4455-A4F7-C75C6D1C4FA7.jpeg

Last edited:

WarpSpeed

BAMF+
First watch arrived today.

78% off on Amazon through a Lightning Sale I just happened to catch. I couldn't not buy it. Titanium body, it weighs nothing, which is a big plus.

Strap on the last hole is super tight, I'll be buying some other straps for it, probably not brown though..

Watch Web 3.png

HG

Another route is to have a strap made if you want to have a truly custom fit.
I’ve had it done for as little as $50.00 max $75.00

what size is your wrist?

Last edited:

HG

One of my favorites. 44mm but wears like 42. Comfortable. I added the top hat sapphire, coin edge and lumed insert.

A23

BAMF
One of my favorites. 44mm but wears like 42. Comfortable. I added the top hat sapphire, coin edge and lumed insert.
Those top hat crystals have gotten pupular...

Top Bottom