This place needs a watch thread

I don't see the big fucking accomplishment in bragging because you bought someone else's work:roll:

Here's an American Handgunner title page with an article authored by me in it:

View attachment 21412

LOL want me to edit the name of the article? That will send you off the deep end.:hissyfit:

Last edited:

BigGar

high on placebo
Well Mothers Billet is the best polish I have ever used on metal but never used it on a plastic watch crystal. Will be honest have never removed a bezel I am not a watchmaker. I would refrain from removing it if at all possible during polishing especially given it is a vintage piece because it will wear over time but do not want to polish off the paint on the bezel. Now they use a ceramic paint but do not know on the vintage pieces. The biggest issue I worried about on a watch that had a movable bezel was getting polish into the ring inside the bezel. Those fines over time will cause wear and could gum it up. Yours does look good for as much as it has been worn. Rolex can restore that to the point you will be shocked! Now to replace the metal bracelet that will be the expensive part!

My SG Sub has been back to Rolex 3 times for service and one time the screw in crown had failed. Both Panerai's have been in once to be serviced the TI piece is tough but still shows wear. The Rolex if memory serves uses I think 10 or 12 different weights/types of oil for servicing. :) No shit..
I replaced my crown, or at least the threaded part that comes out of the case when I had it rebuilt last year. I'm not exactly sure what he replaced but I just turned him loose and told him to do whatever was necessary.

Kelly Hayes, Hayes Jewelers in Orange County, CA. 40+ years of Rolex service. That's all he does now. Not really a jeweler anymore. Simon referred him, and he's fantastic. And reasonable!

Ed

Do what you will, Dave- you're still just a pretender, as you have been since your first day here.

Now I want to hear about heat treating bullets...
LOL no ask the famous author to comment on how he measures and sorts by bearing surfaces on his rifle bullets, points up his bullets to reduce yaw, concentricity of loaded rounds methods, tools and process to ensure this, and for fun to comment on annealing and the effect it has ????? in BR shooting and why it is important. :):)

LOL we were doing the oven/water quench thing in the late 1970's, not me but my friends dad because he was cheap and did not want to use more linotype in his alloy. LOL the reason I remember so well is his wife used to bitch about how heating the lead bullets on in her oven stuck up the house and it did. Cast Lead Bullets are pretty much(sold all of my equipment in the early 1990's) gone now no smelters even left in the US and linotype is pretty much unobtanium -- no longer used. Most indoor ranges prohibit non copper jacketed now anyway.

Last edited:

Wretch

amazingly graceful
I replaced my crown, or at least the threaded part that comes out of the case when I had it rebuilt last year. I'm not exactly sure what he replaced but I just turned him loose and told him to do whatever was necessary.

Kelly Hayes, Hayes Jewelers in Orange County, CA. 40+ years of Rolex service. That's all he does now. Not really a jeweler anymore. Simon referred him, and he's fantastic. And reasonable!
Best case for a vintage piece. The experience comes in handy and if it is someone trustworthy and knows what hell they are doing, turn them loose to do what is necessary. How many crystals have been on that watch? Just curious because of the age.

I don't see the big fucking accomplishment in bragging because you bought someone else's work:roll:

Here's an American Handgunner title page with an article authored by me in it:

View attachment 21412

Well I do work on my builds and even other peoples. This is not other peoples work it is my ugly ass. Post some pictures of you working on your firearm builds. Am I allowed to post pictures of rifles that I have actually worked on? We are waiting and not something from 1984--something relevant. Crickets??? What I expected oh well.
DSCN1300.JPG

DSCN1303.JPG
Learn to Shoot Speedy Match.jpg

Last edited:

BigGar

high on placebo
Best case for a vintage piece. The experience comes in handy and if it is someone trustworthy and knows what hell they are doing, turn them loose to do what is necessary. How many crystals have been on that watch? Just curious because of the age.
Fuzzuki replaced it at Rolex Canada in 2005 and Kelly replaced it last year. So at least three. I would imagine my dad might have had it replaced too but not sure. He bought it from a friend in about 1970-71. It was new in 1968.

whitepower

Color Belt Judo Guy
Well I do work on my builds and even other peoples. This is not other peoples work it is my ugly ass. Post some pictures of you working on your firearm builds. Am I allowed to post pictures of rifles that I have actually worked on? We are waiting and not something from 1984--something relevant. Crickets??? What I expected oh well.
View attachment 21416

View attachment 21417
View attachment 21418
Im having my personal smith doing some porting on my m&p's... Any suggestions?

Fuzzuki replaced it at Rolex Canada in 2005 and Kelly replaced it last year. So at least three. I would imagine my dad might have had it replaced too but not sure. He bought it from a friend in about 1970-71. It was new in 1968.
That is interesting. One of my buddies inherited his dad's Air King Rolex and has decided to start wearing it. His is a mid 60's watch and is going over to Rolex Dallas to service. Will bet it gets a new crystal...

:)

LOL we were doing the oven/water quench thing in the late 1970's, not me but my friends dad because he was cheap and did not want to use more linotype in his alloy. LOL the reason I remember so well is his wife used to bitch about how heating the lead bullets on in her oven stuck up the house and it did. Cast Lead Bullets are pretty much(sold all of my equipment in the early 1990's) gone now no smelters even left in the US and linotype is pretty much unobtanium -- no longer used. Most indoor ranges prohibit non copper jacketed now anyway.
Have to be an idiot to use the kitchen oven to heat lead where you cook food, especially on a regular basis. Yum Yum taskes good...

Im having my personal smith doing some porting on my m&p's... Any suggestions?
Sorry "m&p" is not a pistol I have even held. See them at SHOT but not my cup of tea. On those, your "personal smith" could just drill holes in the top. :biggrin:

whitepower

Color Belt Judo Guy
I thought you would give me some good advice...if there s a good location as opposed to a bad one (for ports)

Im trying to modify my guns to shoot with less recoil so i can speed up my times.
You always claim to be the guru on guns, give me some fucking opinions and not "i ve never held an m&p"...

An M&P is all i could afford for a range toy. Although it s gonna get up there in $$$ when i'm done w it, it doesn t compare to the race guns i see being used by the local competitors. $4000 and up. Some close to $8000!

I dont wanna be that... competitive, tryin to nigger my way up w an underdog

gsteve

BAMF+
I thought you would give me some good advice...if there s a good location as opposed to a bad one (for ports)

Im trying to modify my guns to shoot with less recoil so i can speed up my times.
You always claim to be the guru on guns, give me some fucking opinions and not "i ve never held an m&p"...

An M&P is all i could afford for a range toy. Although it s gonna get up there in $$$ when i'm done w it, it doesn t compare to the race guns i see being used by the local competitors. $4000 and up. Some close to $8000!

Ports do very little , you’re better off to find a load u like. I’d suggest 147 grain. Look at Atlanta arms ammo. You will barely notice porting.

Ed

Have to be an idiot to use the kitchen oven to heat lead where you cook food, especially on a regular basis.
Dave, in the interest of breaking the chain of ad hominem exchanges: this illustrates that you don't know enough about the metallurgy of tertiary lead alloys to post about it- you need to research boiling points, vapor pressures; don't rely on hypothetical or anecdotal enthusiast site conversations without data. Working with clean alloys at the kitchen-oven temperatures involved, all you need to do is wash your hands afterwards.

If nothing else, you'll come out of this exercise better educated about the extent of the risks and how to mitigate them :up:

/Ed

Dave, in the interest of breaking the chain of ad hominem exchanges: this illustrates that you don't know enough about the metallurgy of tertiary lead alloys to post about it- you need to research boiling points, vapor pressures; don't rely on hypothetical or anecdotal enthusiast site conversations without data. Working with clean alloys at the kitchen-oven temperatures involved, all you need to do is wash your hands afterwards.

If nothing else, you'll come out of this exercise better educated about the extent of the risks and how to mitigate them :up:

/Ed

Did a conf call to a couple of engineers who are M&P who I have known for many years worked with them on AC material non conformance issues and they laughed about it and one made the "idiot" comment and the other and chuckled about the oven you cook food in. LOL people who cast bullets may 40 years ago been able to buy virgin materials most just used old wheel weights but now it is not even close to being cost effective. I had given to me a few hundred pounds of linotype and a couple hundred pounds of soft plumbers led in 50lb bars and so I cast HG68 in a 4 cavity mold even forgot the number for 158gr 38/357 used red rooster bullet lube for a few years then stopped because of health concerns for out newborn daughter and got rid of all of it.

During our conversation let them know what this was it was about and it stemmed from an article written 35 years ago by and older gentlemen who advocated and still does doing this in a oven on a repeated basis with no forced ventilation where food is prepared with absolutely no risk. Many processes that were legal and accepted in 1984 even 1994 are now illegal and strictly controlled by both Federal and State Environmental entities Chem Milling industry and anodizing industry for example.

Did you perform a wipe test to determine after repeated use if there was residue and have it tested? I spoke to people I have absolute confidence who's job it is to keep up with the changing testing and specifications for the materials used to build our different AC. In this case there is nothing that you could provide me in empirical evidence that would cause me to change my mind unless it was supported by actual wipe test data from a non force ventilated kitchen oven. Kind of funny that lead is not smelted in any US location.

We will agree to disagree.

Ed

Got it... you spoke with 'people', and third-party conjecture from unnamed sources supports your position :up:

I'd expected somewhat more substantive discourse but yeah, I'm good with agreeing to disagree.

An M&P is all i could afford for a range toy. Although it s gonna get up there in $$$ when i'm done w it, it doesn t compare to the race guns i see being used by the local competitors. $4000 and up. Some close to $8000!"

I am not able to help you with this one as all of my revolvers that have been outfitted with recoil and muzzle flip "preventers lol are Hybra-Port™ . Only one person does this as he obtained the rights through the inventor = Jack Weigand Combat's Hybra Port Porting. I have more than a "few" done with this however, it is revolvers only. I have no need or use for a ported or compensated semi. Not even my 10's or 9x23's so I do not even keep up with what is out there. I do not compete with pistols never will, I find it boring and compensated pistols to be visually offensive but some find shooting at 1k boring as well. ;)

That is the short of it. No I am not nor never claimed to be a "guru on guns lol. In some specific areas yes have more than a little experience mainly in BR rifles and the handloading that goes along with it. Have been shooting all of my life (since 12) and yes I reloaded before I became a handloader :) it is hard not to learn a few things. I have also been fortunate to have had instruction from great shooters and builders some one in the same along with friends in the industry who are sadly beginning to slowly retire one by one. My 1k shooting partner was at Sierra Bullets for almost 40 years who got me started in 1k BR retired 2 years ago.

Last edited:

whitepower

Color Belt Judo Guy
U must have bear or cougar on the ranch...
Snubbie 454 should be a handful... Looks like a Ruger

BusaVeloce

Cappo di tutti Cappo
Website
www.infowars.com
Plastic watch crystal? This isn't a Timex we're talking about here.

S.C.
all Rolex (short of the sea dweller) were fitted with a plastic crystal... You can not put a saphire crystal on these older cases...

i thought 1982 is when Rolex redesigned all their watches to take the synthetic saphire crystal instead of the plastic...

Dave must have bought a close out and got a deal... :eek4:

U must have bear or cougar on the ranch...
Snubbie 454 should be a handful... Looks like a Ruger
LOL no the ranch in SE\NM is high desert 3300 feet. Hot and dry leaving tomorrow to go out there to look at some oil field pollution clean up. Have an occasional feral hog come up from the river and have a lot of trespassing issues. The 454's the one I usually carry has the round in it the other had the polished and bright cylinder all of these are finished by Virgil Tripp. The pic in the avatar is not in the below it is a 44 special the bottom 2 pics are in process pics.
20190211_164205[1].jpg
44 Special In process.jpg Gemini Customs Special #8.jpg

Last edited:

Wretch

amazingly graceful
Makes my hands hurt just thinking of touching that .454 off once...

...let alone multiple times at a moving target.

all Rolex (short of the sea dweller) were fitted with a plastic crystal... You can not put a saphire crystal on these older cases...

i thought 1982 is when Rolex redesigned all their watches to take the synthetic saphire crystal instead of the plastic...

Dave must have bought a close out and got a deal... :eek4:
No my Sea Dweller was a synthetic sapphire, was a big reason I bought it I am hard on watches especially back then. Was a just too thick/heavy and the crown put a indention in the back of my hand never could get it to fit "perfect" on my wrist. Had it for a couple of years and traded it for a GMT II that had the locking clasp on the bracelet.

:) Yes it does let you know when it goes off. The muzzle blast will even make your shooting glasses "jump" just a little bit. When shooting the 454's in snubs about 5 cylinders or 25 rounds is all I care to do and yes the web and heel of my hand do feel like they were hit with an ASP! Not nearly as much muzzle rise as you would think but the blast and recoil is very noticeable lol.

OP
OP
scottcolbath

scottcolbath

BAMF+

I shot a Derringer chambered in 45-70 once. Wasn't fun. Just hold your hand open and let someone hit it with a baseball bat. Same thing.

S.C.

gsteve

BAMF+
LOL no the ranch in SE\NM is high desert 3300 feet. Hot and dry leaving tomorrow to go out there to look at some oil field pollution clean up. Have an occasional feral hog come up from the river and have a lot of trespassing issues. The 454's the one I usually carry has the round in it the other had the polished and bright cylinder all of these are finished by Virgil Tripp. The pic in the avatar is not in the below it is a 44 special the bottom 2 pics are in process pics.

these look great ! I had a freedom arms 5.5" 454 prem 454 , wish id never sold it.
View attachment 21593
View attachment 21594 View attachment 21596

BusaVeloce

Cappo di tutti Cappo
Website
www.infowars.com
No my Sea Dweller was a synthetic sapphire, was a big reason I bought it I am hard on watches especially back then. Was a just too thick/heavy and the crown put a indention in the back of my hand never could get it to fit "perfect" on my wrist. Had it for a couple of years and traded it for a GMT II that had the locking clasp on the bracelet.

locking clasp? please elaborate ...

all clasps lock lol...

do you mean the extender clasp that allows you to wear it over a dive suit or a flight suit?

locking clasp? please elaborate ...

all clasps lock lol...

do you mean the extender clasp that allows you to wear it over a dive suit or a flight suit?
Well yes it has the diving bracelet with the extendable link but that has nothing to do with the Oysterlock clasp LOL, which prevents accidental opening the locking piece that goes over the back of the lock. Exactly like the one on diving watches.

Wretch

amazingly graceful
You wear an oyster on your wrist at times?

That's gotta stink for a couple of weeks, at least!

whitepower

Color Belt Judo Guy
View attachment 21593
View attachment 21594 View attachment 21596

Feral hogs huh...
I prefer a 12 ga slug when i have to deal with feral hogs at close qtrs but a 454 should be adequate considering they prolly dont get bigger than 200 lbs

Feral hogs huh...
I prefer a 12 ga slug when i have to deal with feral hogs at close qtrs but a 454 should be adequate considering they prolly dont get bigger than 200 lbs
LOL I am working not hunting..... Only kill them when I see them. Also carry a 10mm Gemini Customs or a 9x23 win Cabot.

whitepower

Color Belt Judo Guy
LOL I am working not hunting..... Only kill them when I see them. Also carry a 10mm Gemini Customs or a 9x23 win Cabot.
Well, if you were working in e europe, the cabot would not suffice against the american pig's bigger cousin. I ve seen these locomotives take 300 win mag and still run a couple hundred meters with a big hole in em.
Thats why i mentioned, you re lucky them piggies are small

Well, if you were working in e europe, the cabot would not suffice against the american pig's bigger cousin. I ve seen these locomotives take 300 win mag and still run a couple hundred meters with a big hole in em.
Thats why i mentioned, you re lucky them piggies are small
Well killed them over 500lbs but 80% are under 200 and in NM all are. Killed way too many to count we eradicate them. Used everything from an improved 338 Lapua and 300 Rum Improved to a .223. Most killed with a 223. or 308 LE 901 catching them in a tank en mass cooling off at night in the summer. Put a 55fmj or a 168 SMK very low if possible and behind the shoulder at 50 yards or less will ruin both lungs easy and they do not go far, or if not hit in a fatal spot--long as they die. We just hose them down and try and hit as many as possible. Shot many in pen traps as well with pistols. The 454 is the most effective on panicked pigs along with the full power 10mm loads.

Yes they can run with big holes in them. Found a SOW about a 300 pounder pregnant that at about 240 yards shooting from our tower stand a 30-378 with a 180 gr Nos BT ran off like she was not hit. My buddies laughed and said so much for that super caliber! Found her 200 yards away in a field and there was almost a softball sized hole in her shoulder. Toughest animal's I have ever killed were feral hogs but I don't hunt outside of the CONUS.

whitepower

Color Belt Judo Guy
I ve seen em run full gallop on three legs with one of the legs dangling hanging on skin.
The only way to drop them on the spot is neck shots.

Top Bottom